Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

These protestors are pretty much the equivalent of the loyalists fleggers that they have up North, less anyone thinks we are not afflicted by the same muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I tolerated the shinners before today, now I absolutely hate them

These gob****es are RepuplicanSinnFein crazy insignifant little evil party nothing to do with Gerry Adams Sinn Fein at all BTW in case you or anybody else manage to confuse the two..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but two of the protestors have been pepper sprayed and arrested, according to the Mirror.
    A senior source explained: "The two men were in the cemetery carrying placards and screaming abuse.
    "They were asked to leave by gardai but refused to do so and continued to cause trouble.
    "The pair were pepper-sprayed and arrested. They have been brought to Mountjoy Garda station."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why were these people allowed within 100 meters of the ceremony?
    because its a free country, the guardai handled it the right way

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

davycc wrote: »
    These gob****es are RepuplicanSinnFein crazy insignifant little evil party nothing to do with Gerry Adams Sinn Fein at all BTW in case you or anybody else manage to confuse the two..

Ya like chalk and cheese, Sinn Fein have a long history supporting Irish men and women in the British Armed Forces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Winty wrote: »
    What will Gerry the paedophile protector Adams say about this, Will he condemn it ?
    Ya like chalk and cheese, Sinn Fein have a long history supporting Irish men and women in the British Armed Forces

God loves a trier, hates a chancer though! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

because its a free country, the guardai handled it the right way
    Does that extend to people having the right to hold a peaceful commemoration ceremony, in a graveyard, without being heckled and shouted at by protestors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Clue: Where the military bury their dead when there is no war cemetery.

As far as I know the Commonwealth Wargraves Commission have a hand in practically all military graves in The UK and abroad. Since the UK started to return remains families have the chance to make their own arrangements many opt for a military headstone (white portland stone) other choose a different memorial.
    As far as I am aware any military cemetary (Brookwood, Colchester, Aldershot) are looked after by The CWGC?

As for whats there you see uniformity. Layout is the same headstones ate the same.
    The difference of opinion is that you see the things I see as respecting the dead as Glorification of death. To me its the Glorification of the human spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The difference of opinion is that you see the things I see as respecting the dead as Glorification of death. To me its the Glorification of the human spirit.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

In June, in my seventeenth year, I had decided to see what this Great War was like. I cannot plead I went on the advice of John Redmond or any other politician, that if we fought for the British we would secure Home Rule for Ireland, nor can I say I understood what Home Rule meant. I was not influenced by the lurid appeal to fight to save Belgium or small nations. I knew nothing about nations, large or small. I went to the war for no other reason than that I wanted to see what war was like, to get a gun, to see new countries and to feel a grown man. Above all I went because I knew no Irish history and had no national consciousness

Tom Barry's quote from his book on his reasons for joining the BA. Its from Wiki but defiantly in the book. Some men just went for the experience before the stories of the trenches, gas attacked where reported etc.

Many republicans fought in WW1 and just because they didn't return doesn't mean they should be remembered. A representative of the CWGC is justified and the band of the Army they died in is also justifiable.

It was a commemoration of Irish men who died in the BA in WW1 don't see the need for RSF to protest against it not like it was for the Black&Tans or B Specials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Strazdas wrote: »
    I imagine there has to be an acknowledgement they were fighting for the British Empire and technically for the British King at the time (and they would have marched off to war with the Union Jack as their flag).

They also need to sensitive to the fact that the event is taking place in Ireland, where many British army atrocities were carried out.
    Or am I missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Cut and paste reponse about being stuck in the past / unable to move forward...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

hmmmm i wonder was this guy protesting there again today

They're entitled to protest if they feel like it. Not everyone subscribes to the establishment view on WWI.

If people want to hold a silence in a public place for something, I don't think they can actually force other people to be quiet.

That's the whole poignant thing of a silence, universal respect. The soldiers of WW1 don't have universal respect in Ireland. That's a fact regardless of your own personal view on them.

As other posters said before , it's a free country with right to protest or indeed shout sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

LordSutch wrote: »
    Maybe they're sore the germans didn't win?

Seriously though, there are enough 'prime candidate' posters on here who may very well be out threre protesting (presumably because so many Irish men fought with the allies). If the poppy threads on boards.ie are anything to go by there is an annual outporing of pure hatred at any and all WWI commemorations in Ireland, so I guess these dim wit hecklers may represent their sentiments? questionmark.

But the Royal Family are Yerman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Cut and paste reponse about being stuck in the past / unable to move forward...

I often wonder how you would explain it all to a bunch of aliens, its about imperialism, religion, class politics, racism, criminality and flags and having a very long memory and never forgetting anything.

Phoenix wrote: »
    I believe they do have a right to protest but i disagree with their application of the protest,all they have achieved by this is played right int the hands of their enemies

But it acts as a reminder that British army are not welcome by everyone, due to their past misdeeds
    If there was no protest we wouldn't even be discussing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

mariaalice wrote: »
    I often wonder how you would explain it all to a bunch of aliens, its about imperialism, religion, class politics, racism, criminality and flags and having a very long memory and never forgetting anything.

You forgot Photoshop vvvv :rolleyes:
    jjbrien wrote: »
    hmmmm i wonder was this guy protesting there again today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

What will Gerry the paedophile protector Adams say about this, Will he condemn it ?

this RSF /Egri 32c have nothing to do with Gerry Adams SF as you well know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

davycc wrote: »
    this RSF /Egri 32c have nothing to do with Gerry Adams SF as you well know

Yes your correct that Gerry Adams has nothing to do with today but I asked if he was pushed on the subject would he agree or disagree with the protest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

I believe in the manner of their protest. But not their right to protest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

FTA69 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, WW1 was fundamentally about a clash of empires and rival ruling classes who used millions of young men as cannon fodder in pursuit of an imperial goal. It was wholesale slaughter on a terrible scale and there was nothing noble or laudable about the goals for which it was fought.
    As I said, I have no problem with commemorating the Irish war dead; it's a pretty massive part of our history after all. My main problem is when it latches onto British symbolism such as the poppy, the Union Flag, British aristocrats and the British Army. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing positive about any of that lark and it's something we should be moving away from.

But who said it was noble or laudable? Didn't you hear the President's address? He said the very same thing as you!

As for the British Army and symbolism being present, you do realise they were part of the British Army at the time? It was perfectly appropriate to have reps of both Army's there.

Its depressing noting how many "likes" you've gotten an' all...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

According to RSF on their Facebook page tonight, they do not want "royals or royal servants" setting foot on Irish soil, so that is what their protest was about today.

How that stance can justify disrupting a solemn memorial service including the one minute's silence and heckling the Irish President as he spoke is anyone's guess.

And according to the Irish Times this evening, they were also shouting "Brits out" and "Higgins, you traitor", so it seems the heckling of the President was quite deliberate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Although not a supporter of 32csm or Republican SF, I would say fair play to these guys for taking a stand against the revisionism this state loves to indulge in.

One of the fundamental freedoms we enjoy in Ireland is freedom of expression and these guys were excising just that. If you don't like what they have to say move the Saudi Arabia or China.

I like to express myself freely on the internet and through my mobile phone even if our so called democratic state thinks differently.

What happen today is disgrace and they are right, Higgins is a traitor.

How dare they dishonor the decent men buried in that cemetery.

Patser wrote: »
    There were Guards at the gate but I'd say they were taking the approach of just keep them out. If they tried arrest them or move them on, that crowd would just scream Garda brutality, peaceful protest etc and feed off the publicity.

The Guards shouldn't have allowed that situation to develop in the first place. There should have been a cordon around the Cemetery for such an important event and the "protesters" could have shouted to their heart's content from afar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Nodin wrote: »
    This isn't a Sinn Fein protest, its being held by Republican Sinn Fein who split off in the 1980's.

Don't generalise whatever you do.

well if they were true republicans then where the hell were they when the establishment was busy kow towing to Rome and having our citizens treated like slaves in places like tuam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

P_1 wrote: »
    well if they were true republicans then where the hell were they when the establishment was busy kow towing to Rome and having our citizens treated like slaves in places like tuam

Take it up with them.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    This is what angers me about the 'official' approach to commemoration here.
    Men and women fought for many reasons in WW1, God Save The Queen or King would have meant nothing to them. And a goodly proportion of Irish enlisted where ultimately conned and gave their lives in absolute vain.(IMO they all did, but that is another argument altogether) Many who survived where repulsed and ashamed afterwards. Many went awol during the war to try and get back to Ireland to do something about what other battalions of the British Army (who they had been fighting for :eek:) where doing.

Our commemorations NEVER reflect that, or the unique reasons for why so many went and they are coming perilously close to again doffing the hats to our former imperialist masters.

In saying that I do not condone what happened today.

Another poster who conveniently didn't hear the main speech of the occasion. Go and replay the President's speech or get a transcript and then come back and amend your misleading post.

Advertisement