Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Mosby61 wrote: »
    This is hilarious. The conflict is over, when will some understand? The Queen has been in the Republic and paid respects in commemoration and even stood for the Irish national anthem. Higgins has been to the UK and met her majesty.

There is absolutely no excuse to still carry on with this attitude that British people from Northern Ireland or the rest of the UK or the British Army are the bad guys and should be opposed.

When will you ever move on? The Queen can not do any more to heal divisions. These Republican lunatics who have twisted Wolfe Tones view and have an aggressive ideology don't want peace but to make sure the last "Brit" is forced to the sea.

No excuse for that attitude now.
    in an irish context the british army will always be bad guys until the last bit of vermin who murdered a civilian in northern ireland is dead.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

thats exactly it, however any excuse to bash gerry adams
    Any excuse to bash:
    The Queen / Lizzie / Mrs Windsor..
    The PNSI
    The Britush Army
    The British
    The English
    The North
    etc etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

in an irish context the british army will always be bad guys until the last bit of vermin who murdered a civilian in northern ireland is dead.

Death isn't good enough in my view. I want to see some criminal convictions and jail time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 budsalt

jjbrien wrote: »
    My grandfather was a mechanic in the RAF its where he learned his trade. He joined as he didnt like what the germans were doing thankfully he came home from the war. These small minded people need to learn that we have moved on as a country. The british were the only ones who gave us a generous loan with no strings attached when the country got itself into its current mess. The way I see the British people these days are they are our cousins sometimes we don't get on with them but they are ok and will help out when needed. We have more in common with the UK than any other country.

I wonder how many others on this forum had family members who fought in WWI?

Can anyone please tell me how to insert a photo?

I call BS!
    Its not an Irish context its your own context and the the other jokers who share that sad outdated opinion.

• Advertisement

My grandfather was a mechanic in the RAF its where he learned his trade. He joined as he didnt like what the germans were doing thankfully he came home from the war. These small minded people need to learn that we have moved on as a country. The british were the only ones who gave us a generous loan with no strings attached when the country got itself into its current mess. The way I see the British people these days are they are our cousins sometimes we don't get on with them but they are ok and will help out when needed. We have more in common with the UK than any other country.
    they are not our cousins unless they are directly related, they gave us the lone because were intitled to it as compensation for the murdering of civilians by the BA during the troubles. the fact we have things in common means nothing as nobody is discussing the british people but the government and military

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

why? not the guards duty to stop people from shouting, fine you disagree with them, but just because you do doesn't mean they should have been stopped from doing it/kept away, as i said the guards handeled it the right way

Seriously? So during the annual Rising commemoration, you'd be okay with a mob shouting and heckling beside the GPO during the minutes silence or the reading of the Proclamation? Are you having a laugh here pal?

I hope you never get the job of organising State events :eek:

I call BS!
    Its not an Irish context its your own context and the the other jokers who share that sad outdated opinion.

It doesn't matter which specific conflict one is commemorating or whether or not one agreed with that specific conflict. To some, the very organization itself is disgraced and therefore shouldn't be shown any official recognition by the state.

Jesus. wrote: »
    Seriously? So during the annual Rising commemoration, you'd be okay with a mob shouting and heckling beside the GPO during the minutes silence or the reading of the Proclamation? Are you having a laugh here pal?

I hope you never get the job of organising State events :eek:

Freedom to protest and freedom of speech? Yep, I'd be ok with it. I wouldn't approve of it, but I'd respect their right to make a protest.

It was only locked down because of a bunch of idiots who still believe bombs and death get results...and it was also locked down because Obama was calling too (but that is probably okay...)

can I meet you in central Dublin and you can give me a keepsake from the past that you seem to be stuck in...
    our city being in lockdown for an irrelevant old woman and a war criminal isn't okay, they should have both come for a day and went home if they had to come

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

2u7n428.jpg

Any excuse to bash:
    The Queen / Lizzie / Mrs Windsor..
    The PNSI
    The Britush Army
    The British
    The English
    The North
    etc etc etc...
    my problem is with the british government and army, and i see the royal family as pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

they are not our cousins unless they are directly related, they gave us the lone because were intitled to it as compensation for the murdering of civilians by the BA during the troubles. the fact we have things in common means nothing as nobody is discussing the british people but the government and military

Get over it we were not entitled to anything. The troubles are a thing of the past even the queen apologized and as other posters have said stood to our national anthem. What more must she do to say sorry? Like really

This was to remeber the dead and those men were not involved in the troubles. A good chunk of them fought and died afterwards for Irish Independence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Freedom to protest and freedom of speech? Yep, I'd be ok with it. I wouldn't approve of it, but I'd respect their right to make a protest.

Right beside the fukking GPO? What if it was the Orange Order that were booing and heckling in two years time at the Centenary? During the minutes silence all you hear is chants of "terrorists" and "murderers" in reference to the 1916 leaders.

You'd be A okay with that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's surely one of the worst stunts Irish republicans have ever pulled.

Well, some of them have killed people and stuff...

Get over it

by telling one to "get over it" you condone the murder of civilians in northern ireland, so no, i won't.
    we were not entitled to anything.

we were
    the queen apologized

her duty to do so for the murder carried out in her name

our city being in lockdown for an irrelevant old woman and a war criminal isn't okay, they should have both come for a day and went home if they had to come
    So irrelevant you can't seem to stop mentioning her. And diverts some from a hard day in the Dublin pubs to protest
    Like I said Obama was okay then...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

The man who invented crosswords is buried in Glasnevin Cemetary.

Right beside the fukking GPO? What if it was the Orange Order that were booing and heckling in two years time at the Centenary? During the minutes silence all you hear is chants of "terrorists" and "murderers" in reference to the 1916 leaders.

You'd be A okay with that?
    i hardly think the orange order will be let down here again thankfully after what happened last time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

by telling one to "get over it" you condone the murder of civilians in northern ireland, so no, i won't.

we were

her duty to do so for the murder carried out in her name

What has any of this got to do with the soldiers who died in WW1 and WW2? These men were long dead and buried before any of that happened. My grandfather was never involved in the north like all of these men who where being honored today.

• Advertisement

So irrelevant you can't seem to stop mentioning her. And diverts some from a hard day in the Dublin pubs to protest
    Like I said Obama was okay then...
    no, he's a war criminal in my opinion

no, he's a war criminal in my opinion
    At least we agree on that then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Another poster who conveniently didn't hear the main speech of the occasion. Go and replay the President's speech or get a transcript and then come back and amend your misleading post.

It's called 'lipservice'...when I see Michael D and the rest of the establishment parties at the graves of all republicans then I will stand alongside them in their 'wish' to honour all the fallen in wars and conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

LordSutch wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if they pop up on this thread. (hopefully they wont).
    But you said it'd be interesting to see if they pop up on this thread, so I'd say what you actually mean is "hopefully they will".

Anyhow, back on topic and agenda-pushing aside: repulsive stunt by this crowd. WWI involved endless numbers of young men (some of them only boys) being sent to their deaths by powerful bureaucrats behind mahogany desks. Any man/boy who went out there to the trenches deserves respect for what they sacrificed - their lives, on behalf of others'.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

i hardly think the orange order will be let down here again thankfully after what happened last time

Double standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sinn Fein would protest the opening of an envelope if they thought it would get them media attention. Bunch of shameless attention whores. The people who voted for them only have themselves to blame. They should have been left in the gutter, where they belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 budsalt

Magaggie wrote: »
    But you said it'd be interesting to see if they pop up on this thread, so I'd say what you actually mean is "hopefully they will".

Anyhow, back on topic and agenda-pushing aside: repulsive stunt by this crowd. WWI involved endless numbers of young men (some of them only boys) being sent to their deaths by powerful bureaucrats behind mahogany desks. Any man/boy who went out there to the trenches deserves respect for what they sacrificed - their lives, on behalf of others'.

During the battle of the Somme the 16th Irish Division suffered losses of 224 officers and 4,090 men; despite these very heavy losses the division gained a reputation as first-class shock troops.

I think men like these deserve a minuet's silence and a little respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

the opening of an envelope.

Royals would probably turn up at it, if it meant their 'privilege subvention' was continued.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

its no longer amazing how some misguided people can defend the indefensible ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Mosby61 wrote: »
    This is hilarious. The conflict is over, when will some understand? The Queen has been in the Republic and paid respects in commemoration and even stood for the Irish national anthem. Higgins has been to the UK and met her majesty.

There is absolutely no excuse to still carry on with this attitude that British people from Northern Ireland or the rest of the UK or the British Army are the bad guys and should be opposed.

When will you ever move on? The Queen can not do any more to heal divisions. These Republican lunatics who have twisted Wolfe Tones view and have an aggressive ideology don't want peace but to make sure the last "Brit" is forced to the sea.

No excuse for that attitude now.

That's fine that you are now entirely comfortable with British army actions, both in Ireland and overseas.
    Bloody Sunday, Iraq , Afghanistan etc.
    Good for you.

However some are still not entirely satisfied with their actions, and indeed many civilians are not around to have a view.

"No excuse for that attitude now",
    Are you the thought police ?

One of the most condescending posts I've seen for a while

Advertisement