Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Happyman42 wrote: »
    That's the point though...many many of those who died would have been out protesting today if they were here.
    Our involvement is not represented by 'official' Ireland as the very complex thing it was.
    Expect much more of this as we go trough the decade of commemoration.

You do realise that the vast majority of Irisn men who went to war, my great grandfather included, chose to go. Britain didn't force them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

some people in this country were happy to live in the empire and fight for it

And a lot of them including my grandfather wanted to be free from British rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

And a lot of them including my grandfather wanted to be free from British rule.
    But plenty didn't and a fair number who did want to 'escape' still moved to the UK for a number of reasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

How many are 'plenty'?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

And this is exactly the stuck-in-the-past anti-British sentiment that is putting lives at risk in the North.

The British, their army, their politicians, their Royals, their ordinary people are not the enemy and haven't been for a very long time.

It's time we all moved on, left the hatred in the past where it belongs and drop the needless sneering and cynicism.

Our people have fought and died for Britain and continue to do so. It is Britain be among those commemorating them.
    the british army will always be, and always has been an enemy

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

To some....

Not all thankfully.

I'll gladly expect much more recognition and thanks from Britain for our War Dead and what they did for the Empire.

It's been too long in coming.
    so your an empirialist, a supporter of empirialism and eleetism

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mosby61

You read very biased history books. Not the ones which show how Irish people helped build the Empire and many Irish and Ulstermen are still joining the British Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wow just .... wow

Im all for the hating english when it comes to sport etc but they English army in its current form are not my enemy nor the enemy of any other citizen of the Republic of Ireland.

I don't think someone so filled with needless hatred and stuck in the past will ever listen to reason so I'm not going to waste any more time and energy.

I'll simply say that today's British army have about as much connection to the occupation as the current IRA have to that of Michael Collins.

• Advertisement

Not even close.

Nice try though.

Madam wrote: »
    How many are 'plenty'?
    My Grandfather for one! Even he saw the irony especially when he was building runways and stuff during WW2...
    The other Grandfather joined the Army at 15 and served towards the end of WW1 and served in the RAF in WW2 he never got over Ireland going solo.
    To me this highlights the complex set of circumstances during this period of Anglo Irish history.
    It can't simply be said that Irish men volunteered for Army service just for food / for home rule / under duress as some people on here seem to suggest.

Mosby61 wrote: »
    the ISIS of the West.

i laughed at that statement, you probably don't know what isis is and what they do

Mosby61 wrote: »
    You read very biased history books. Not the ones which show how Irish people helped build the Empire and many Irish and Ulstermen are still joining the British Army.
    yes, unfortunately they still are, still, they can be britains problem now not ours

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

yes, unfortunately they still are, still, they can be britains problem now not ours

Good god you are disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

What? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

''Imperialist'', ''imperialism and ''elitism''.

I don't think someone so filled with needless hatred and stuck in the past will ever listen to reasons.
    What scares me is that young and impressionable people will be taken in by the guff people of that misguided and conceited opinion and thus the evil legacy will be passed on like some warped secret oral history so that years down the line small minded youths in ill fitting / unlaundered sports apparel will hurl abuse at events like this in the future.
    it will not end...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

To anyone who took part in or supported this "protest": you're garbage. you're cowardly scum and should die roaring.

blueser wrote: »
    ''Imperialist'', ''imperialism and ''elitism''.

Can I add 'you're' to that list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Can I add 'you're' to that list?
    And an upper case 'S' at the beginning of a sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Nonesense!
    How do 'British' Glorify this?

:D:D Oh please! Don't you remember the howls of protest and derision in Britain when Cameron said he wanted to 'celebrate' WW1 similar to the Queens Jubilee?
    How he wrote the following
    After what you have seen no-one would blame you for asking why. No one would criticise you for feeling angy... But be in no doubt: however dark this time of war - our world would have been far darker if you had declined the call to act ...From your toil and sacrifice there will be a better world ... Your bravery will never be forgotten. Your name - and the names of your fellow servicemen - will be celebrated on memorials ... across the land. But now, as a result of "your bravery and selfless determination" we "enjoy a peace in Europe".
    and blithely ignored The Spanish Civil War, WW2 and the Holocaust, Northern Ireland, the countless wars across the globe many of which Britain waded into, riding shotgun for her ally America, and how he himself weas stopped from bombing Syria by his own parliament? The world has been perpetually at war in the 100 years since.
    The British engage in the 'glory' of combat to keep their armed forces numbers up, because they have to.
    How do you feel about the Irish soldiers of WW1 who volunteered because of loyalty? (Just curious)

Foolishly misguided and sadly, pointless cannon fodder. It was a monumental waste of life and I am only half way through the histories I want to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well that escalated quickly.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Enniskillen Remembrance Day.

Perhaps a few neanderthal early school leavers shouting is evolution towards something passing for human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

My Grandfather for one! Even he saw the irony especially when he was building runways and stuff during WW2...
    The other Grandfather joined the Army at 15 and served towards the end of WW1 and served in the RAF in WW2 he never got over Ireland going solo.
    To me this highlights the complex set of circumstances during this period of Anglo Irish history.
    It can't simply be said that Irish men volunteered for Army service just for food / for home rule / under duress as some people on here seem to suggest.

So, if it wasn't for money what for? None of my grandfathers or great uncles joined the British army(one side true blue unionists). Remember poverty was rife in Ireland at the time - most joined up to feed their families and no other reason . For the life of me I don't understand why we need to commemorate a war that happened 100 years ago never mind a wee Island at the edge of Europe beating it's chest and informing anyone they want to ingratiate themselves to and say 'we were there' Monty Python like.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    :D:D Oh please! Don't you remember the howls of protest and derision in Britain when Cameron said he wanted to 'celebrate' WW1 similar to the Queens Jubilee?
    How he wrote the following
    and blithely ignored The Spanish Civil War, WW2 and the Holocaust, Northern Ireland, the countless wars across the globe many of which Britain waded into, riding shotgun for her ally America, and how he himself weas stopped from bombing Syria by his own parliament? The world has been perpetually at war in the 100 years since.
    The British engage in the 'glory' of combat to keep their armed forces numbers up, because they have to.

Foolishly misguided and sadly, pointless cannon fodder. It was a monumental waste of life and I am only half way through the histories I want to read.

Dave Cameron isn't Britain. And the point there is that the reaction to that remark confirms that The British don't glorify war.
    And there you go wheeling out the same old BS about the UK being a warmonger / lap dog of the US...
    I blame the internet...did you sit in the back of the class during History?

Your last bit speaks volumes about the low opinion of your forebares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

K-9 wrote: »
    Well that escalated quickly.

It really got out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mosby61

i laughed at that statement, you probably don't know what isis is and what they do
    Difference is ISIS have weapons and thankfully these lunatics don't. Otherwise people would be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

What literature do you get your ideals from?

• Advertisement

Madam wrote: »
    So, if it wasn't for money what for? None of my grandfathers or great uncles joined the British army(one side true blue unionists). Remember poverty was rife in Ireland at the time - most joined up to feed their families and no other reason . For the life of me I don't understand why we need to commemorate a war that happened 100 years ago never mind a wee Island at the edge of Europe beating it's chest and informing anyone they want to ingratiate themselves to and say 'we were there' Monty Python like.

Poverty was rife everywhere in all parts of The UK not just Ireland.
    WW1 probably had more impact on other parts of the UK mainly due to conscription and Kitcheners Army / Pals Battalions.
    WW1 also was a watershed for many other things not least everyday life. Women's rights for one thing.
    It was a massive event and the repercussions were huge.

Advertisement