Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Where are joyriders when ya need them?

They are the joyriders!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have read through this and its not making sense, anyone want to give me the cliff notes on this, republican sinn fein are protesting re the presents of representatives of the British army at Glasnevin, but it is alright for individual members of sinn fein to mean the Queen who is head of the British army on an other occasions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Dave Cameron isn't Britain. And the point there is that the reaction to that remark confirms that The British don't glorify war.
    And there you go wheeling out the same old BS about the UK being a warmonger / lap dog of the US...
    I blame the internet...did you sit in the back of the class during History?

Have you been to a miltary graveyard in Britain...there you will see what I mean about glorification.
    Even go to a children's play like Warhorse and you will see that even if it deals with the horrors of war it still makes the ultimate sacrifice a glorious thing.
    Stick your head in the sand if you wish, the evidence of this is all over the pages of history.
    Your last bit speaks volumes about the low opinion of your forebares.

If an honest opinion is a 'lowly' one then you are correct. I don't confer good sense and judgement on people just because they happen to be dead. It (their choice) is what it is, and was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mariaalice wrote: »
    I have read through this and its not making sense, anyone want to give me the cliff notes on this, republican sinn fein are protesting re the presents of representatives of the British army at Glasnevin, but it is alright for individual members of sinn fein to mean the Queen who is head of the British army on other occasions?

Republican Sinn Fein =/= Sinn Fein

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I have read through this and its not making sense, anyone want to give me the cliff notes on this, republican sinn fein are protesting re the presents of representatives of the British army at Glasnevin, but it is alright for individual members of sinn fein to mean the Queen who is head of the British army on other occasions?
    Re Sinn Fein /Republican Sinn Feinn just check out Monty Python's Life of Brian - the bit about the Popular Judean Front...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why were these people allowed within 100 meters of the ceremony?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

circadian wrote: »
    It really got out of hand.

WW1, the protestors or the thread?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Nodin wrote: »
    Republican Sinn Fein =/= Sinn Fein

Martin McGuinnesse met the Queen who is head of the British army, republican sinn fein are not the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Martin McGuinnesse met the Queen who is head of the British army.

FFS......Martin McGuinness is not a member of Republican Sinn Fein. RSF and SF are two different organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Dave Cameron isn't Britain.

Cameron very much personifies the British establishment who still have a strong imperialist streak running through them. Check out Andy Windsor speaking the uncomfortable truth:
    Addressing the Ambassador directly, Prince Andrew then turned to regional politics. He stated baldly that "the United Kingdom, Western Europe (and by extension you Americans too") were now back in the thick of playing the Great Game. More animated than ever, he stated cockily: "And this time we aim to win!"

wikileaks.org
    And there you go wheeling out the same old BS about the UK being a warmonger / lap dog of the US...

The UK very much is the junior partner in the US's imperial project.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Have you been to a miltary graveyard in Britain...there you will see what I mean about glorification.
    Even go to a children's play like Warhorse and you will see that even if it deals with the horrors of war it still makes the ultimate sacrifice a glorious thing.
    Stick your head in the sand if you wish, the evidence of this is all over the pages of history.

If an honest opinion is a 'lowly' one then you are correct. I don't confer good sense and judgement on people just because they happen to be dead. It (their choice) is what it is, and was.
    I have been to many CWGC Cemeteries and thing that comes through is the futility of war that point is made time and time again as its designed in to the fabric of the place.
    Its easy to fooled by the language 'The Glorious Dead' etc but don't be mistaken this is about paying respect to a lost generation and not about glorifying war.

War Horse is a work of fiction and should be treated as such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

They're entitled to protest if they feel like it. Not everyone subscribes to the establishment view on WWI.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Cameron very much personifies the British establishment who still have a strong imperialist streak running through them. Check out Andy Windsor speaking the uncomfortable truth:

The UK very much is the junior partner in the US's imperial project.

A). Again thats Dave and Andy...but still very much a really tiny part of the British.
    B) American..... can't be arsed thats just to lazy to be worthy of a retort.

So republican sinn fein are the one involved in the drug gangs and killing each other each other on the north side of Dublin or is that a different lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

VinLieger wrote: »
    Good god you are disgusting
    blueser wrote: »
    ''Imperialist'', ''imperialism and ''elitism''.
    Can I add 'you're' to that list?
    blueser wrote: »
    And an upper case 'S' at the beginning of a sentence?

Why are these comments allowed?
    Is it because they were aimed at a poster who has views that are going against the popular opinion on the thread?

They're entitled to protest if they feel like it. Not everyone subscribes to the establishment view on WWI.
    I think its the manner of the protest thats the problem.
    Luckily we live in a place that allows this...thing is part of the reason for that goes back to these huge conflicts

Fudge You wrote: »
    Is it because they were aimed at a poster who has views that are going against the popular opinion on the thread?

Its churlish I know...sorry
    I was going to query how people with a strong anti British feeling stomach having to speak English but I decided not to...glad I didn't really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They disrupted the commemoration though and were even shouting during the President's speech and the minute's silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Of course they are. But there is a time and place and outside a graveyard where there is not alone a memorial in progress, but presumably people visiting loved ones graves is not it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Nodin wrote: »
    FFS......Martin McGuinness is not a member of Republican Sinn Fein. RSF and SF are two different organisations.

To an outsider, this would read like a scene from The Life Of Brian!

• Advertisement

I have been to many CWGC Cemeteries and thing that comes through is the futility of war that point is made time and time again as its designed in to the fabric of the place.
    Its easy to fooled by the language 'The Glorious Dead' etc but don't be mistaken this is about paying respect to a lost generation and not about glorifying war.

I wasn't talking about war graveyards, I was talking about military graveyards.
    Quite flabbergasted that you cannot see how war is routinely glorified by the British. Obviously the propaganda designed to get the gullible to take up arms is still working on some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

A). Again thats Dave and Andy...but still very much a really tiny part of the British.

Which is why I said the British Establishment and not the British people.
    B) American..... can't be arsed thats just to lazy to be worthy of a retort.

Okay, you don't like facts.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about war graveyards, I was talking about military graveyards.
    Quite flabbergasted that you cannot see how war is routinely glorified by the British. Obviously the propaganda designed to get the gullible to take up arms is still working on some.
    Can you show me the differnce between a 'Military' graveyard and a 'War Cemetery'. I'm assuming we're talking UK here too?
    I will check back once I've read some propaganda...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So republican sinn fein are the one involved in the drug gangs and killing each other each other on the north side of Dublin or is that a different lot.

Probably or close connections. Waits for post saying Republicans of any description would never get involved in drugs.
    People are allowed to post Grammar Nazism, they usually are carded though! Give the mods a chance to see them or get a reported post.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Which is why I said the British Establishment and not the British people.

Okay, you don't like facts.

Oh I love facts. I just prefer taking them all into account rather than cherry picking them...

And This establishment is bigger than 2 people...

Can you show me the differnce between a 'Military' graveyard and a 'War Cemetery'. I'm assuming we're talking UK here too?
    I will check back once I've read some propaganda...

Clue: Where the military bury their dead when there is no war cemetery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Shouting "Brits Out" during a minutes silence to commemorate the Irish men who died in WWI and shouting to disrupt the Irish president when he's making a speech.

These morons really know what they're at alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Disgusting bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

[/COLOR]

From Republican.ie

What will Gerry the paedophile protector Adams say about this, Will he condemn it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

So; some of those comments upset/annoy/irritate you? No more so than some of the other comments on here (or the actions of the idiots in Glasnevin) have upset other people on the thread. I know which I find more objectionable. However; each to their own.

Advertisement