Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Strazdas wrote: »
    A peaceful protest in complete silence outside the gates would have been fine but to heckle a memorial service was an utter disgrace. Maybe somebody should go along and play God Save The Queen at them through a loudspeaker at one of their Easter 1916 commemorations.

This is what angers me about the 'official' approach to commemoration here.
    Men and women fought for many reasons in WW1, God Save The Queen or King would have meant nothing to them. And a goodly proportion of Irish enlisted where ultimately conned and gave their lives in absolute vain.(IMO they all did, but that is another argument altogether) Many who survived where repulsed and ashamed afterwards. Many went awol during the war to try and get back to Ireland to do something about what other battalions of the British Army (who they had been fighting for :eek:) where doing.

Our commemorations NEVER reflect that, or the unique reasons for why so many went and they are coming perilously close to again doffing the hats to our former imperialist masters.

In saying that I do not condone what happened today.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why was there a need for the Duke of Kent?

I don't approve of the protests but why do we need a member of the English
    Establishment to honour Irish War dead?

I suppose its the British Establishment recognising the Irish dead in an official capacity.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The Irish who fought and died in World War 1 were fighting for Ireland, fighting for the Home Rule Bill at the time they thought. Doubt any of these so called Republicans have a clue what I'm talking about though.

The Garda on one side doing absolutely nothing as usual (hands-tied, under resourced, blah, blah) and then these clowns on the other it makes my head hurt.

To be fair to the Gardai if they did try to intervene all they'd get would be an armful of personal injury and police brutality claims as well certain uppity members of the community getting on their high horse about them stopping a 'peaceful protest'.

And you can be sure the real offenders would walk away scott free.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Irish who fought and died in World War 1 were fighting for Ireland, fighting for the Home Rule Bill at the time they thought. Doubt any of these so called Republicans have a clue what I'm talking about though.

The Garda on one side doing absolutely nothing as usual (hands-tied, under resourced, blah, blah) and then these clowns on the other it makes my head hurt.

Also a lot of them were from impoverished backgrounds and were doing it to earn money to send back home......there was widespread poverty in Dublin and throughout the country at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The Irish who fought and died in World War 1 were fighting for Ireland, fighting for the Home Rule Bill at the time they thought.

No, they weren't.

The vast majority of Irish men who went to the Great War, did so for mercenary reasons. Let's be clear and honest on that.

And I say that as the Grandson of a man who went to war, along with his two brothers (who died in France).

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    I suppose its the British Establishment recognising the Irish dead in an official capacity.

To remove the British aspect from the commemoration would be a bit odd : they were in the British army and officially fighting for the British Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Is the Poppy not, the modern world, a symbol of remembrance of the War Dead generally?

no, its a symbol of BA murder and bloodshead upon those britain colonized
    The British are not our enemy or nor people to be sneered at or hated any more.

they never were, it was and is the british army and government, the british army will always be an enemy
    Our soldiers fought for them and continue to do so.

and? they should join their own army
    They have every right to be involved and it's wonderful to see this togetherness between the two countries over what was once such a delicate issue.

no its not, its a commemoration being hi-jacked by a celebration of empirialism and eleetism

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

For someone who wants to be a soldier joning the PDF hasn't been an option. Therefore they join the army of our nearest neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

So called "republican" Idiots who believe their version of Irish history is the only one and those who disagree will be shouted down of beaten down. For too long their simpletons view has ruled the roost in this Republic. They are a disgrace to the nationalist Irish dead who fought in WW1 and a disgrace to the Fenian dead. And the fe kin Gardai need to wake up and manage protests so these people can be cordoned off and shout their stupidity from a kilometre away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

The service must have finished as some those shouting must be online now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I tolerated the shinners before today, now I absolutely hate them
    The Doc wrote:
    is is why I sincerely hope that party never come anywhere near political power in my lifetime.

This isn't a Sinn Fein protest, its being held by Republican Sinn Fein who split off in the 1980's.
    P 1 wrote:
    Irish republicans always seemed to have found grasping the precise definition of
    the word 'republic' a tricky one to master.

Lads you don't represent me,
    you don't represent an awful lot of the people living here, kindly fcuk off

Don't generalise whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

they never were, it was and is the british army and government, the british army will always be an enemy
    Did I miss the war memo? :confused:

no its not, its a commemoration being hi-jacked by a celebration of empirialism and eleetism

And this is exactly the stuck-in-the-past anti-British sentiment that is putting lives at risk in the North.

The British, their army, their politicians, their Royals, their ordinary people are not the enemy and haven't been for a very long time.

It's time we all moved on, left the hatred in the past where it belongs and drop the needless sneering and cynicism.

Our people have fought and died for Britain and continue to do so. It is Britain be among those commemorating them.

So called "republican" Idiots who believe their version of Irish history is the only one and those who disagree will be shouted down of beaten down. For too long their simpletons view has ruled the roost in this Republic. They are a disgrace to the nationalist Irish dead who fought in WW1 and a disgrace to the Fenian dead. And the fe kin Gardai need to wake up and manage protests so these people can be cordoned off and shout their stupidity from a kilometre away.

I honestly think these cretins don't even know what they're protesting for or against. How they could think going along to disrupt a memorial service for Ireland's war dead was a good idea is beyond me.

And this is exactly the stuck-in-the-past anti-British sentiment that is putting lives at risk in the North.

The British, their army, their politicians, their Royals, their ordinary people are not the enemy and haven't been for a very long time.

It's time we all moved on, left the hatred in the past where it belongs and drop the needless sneering and cynicism.

Our people have fought and died for Britain and continue to do so. It is Britain be among those commemorating them.

That's the point though...many many of those who died would have been out protesting today if they were here.
    Our involvement is not represented by 'official' Ireland as the very complex thing it was.
    Expect much more of this as we go trough the decade of commemoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

This isn't a commemoration of War, or of the British Army, it's a remembrance of those who died, futile as it might be seen. They were peoples sons, brothers and fathers, and were loved and then missed when they never came home; that's what this is all about, nothing to do with countries or loyalties.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    That's the point though...many many of those who died would have been out protesting today if they were here.
    Our involvement is not represented by 'official' Ireland as the very complex thing it was.
    Expect much more of this as we go trough the decade of commemoration.

I'll gladly expect much more recognition and thanks from Britain for our War Dead and what they did for the Empire.

It's been too long in coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

These proud protestors will probably rock up to their local later on and will be shoulder to shoulder singing "Green Fields of France". Which of course is a song commemorating the fallen of WW1.

Oh the irony

Exactly castletownman, it always tickles me when I hear the 'hardcore republicans' down the local start into a few bars of this.

I'm proud of those men from Ireland who served in the war/s. All they gave up and sacrificed is humbling regardless of whose flag they fought under.

Those people at the gates are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

K-9 wrote: »
    A good few soldiers came back and fought for independence, but I suppose nuances are kind of lost on these people.
    Tom Barry, being one that springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Did I just wander through a black hole and end up back in the 1970's?

• Advertisement

I'll gladly expect much more recognition and thanks from Britain for our War Dead and what they did for the Empire.

It's been too long in coming.

They should always be told how pointless and misguided it was though, we should never, ever partake in glorifying (something the British still do) anything that happened. That is how we can contribute, because that is what the reality was for many Irish men and women.

blueser wrote: »
    Did I just wander through a black hole and end up back in the 1970's?
    So it would appear. Alas it seems even now there are people still being brought up on a steady diet of anti-British soundbites - you'd think that the sound of the firing squad that shot th1916 rebels had only just faded...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Strazdas wrote: »
    To remove the British aspect from the commemoration would be a bit odd : they were in the British army and officially fighting for the British Empire.

I thought they were fighting for Home Rule based on what Redmond told them to do.

Why would anyone fight for the British Empire, which consisted of invading a country, murdereing and enslaving the native people and taking all the natural resources that that particular country had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Why would anyone fight for the British Empire,

3 square meals & a wage.

The same reason why so many signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Did I miss the war memo? :confused:

Yes , we've all been called up , your conscription papers are in the post.

They should always be told how pointless and misguided it was though, we should never, ever partake in glorifying (something the British still do) anything that happened. That is how we can contribute, because that is what the reality was for many Irish men and women.

Nonesense!
    How do 'British' Glorify this?
    How do you feel about the Irish soldiers of WW1 who volunteered because of loyalty? (Just curious)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought they were fighting for Home Rule based on what Redmond told them to do.

Why would anyone fight for the British Empire, which consisted of invading a country, murdereing and enslaving the native people and taking all the natural resources that that particular country had.

some people in this country were happy to live in the empire and fight for it

some people in this country were happy to live in the empire and fight for it
    And build it...

Oh absolutely I agree with all of that. I just don't see how a somber occasion like this commemorating sacrifice and suffering and death is glorifying anything.

We must remember the past and learn from it. We must not, as a certain elderly British lady said during her visit here, be bound by it.

Sadly too many of us just can't or won't let go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Mosby61

What an absolute disgrace and another shameful event in a long list of Republican history. The complete lack of respect for Irish and Ulstermen who died in the great war is rather shocking from these lunatics.

They should have been getting a batton around the head and told to go home. At least we will remember the fallen in peace and not disturbed by the ISIS of the West.

RIP to all who fell in the great war.

Advertisement