Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

its nothing to do with the poppy or any pro british malarkey no reason to try and fire up that debate that's poor form and not required.
    Its a memorial for the dead Irish people are among the dead so the republicans decided to heckle deceased Irish people? Right......that's just stupid no matter what way you look at it. It also makes **** all sense so far as republicanism...heckling deceased Irish soldiers and the actual Irish president????????? God even the WBC would probably find those protests stupid...........what the **** was it meant to achieve other than showing complete ignorance and stupidity?

Just as a side, could the Gardaí not have tried to run these gob****es off or take their megaphones? They shoulda been made shut up.

A night in the cells and a few kicks up the hole and these tossers would come out thinking they're Bobby Sands, let them have their pathetic display.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Strazdas wrote: »
    Maybe the Gardai assumed beforehand that nobody would be so cretinous as to go along and disrupt and heckle a memorial service for the dead? That's one possible explanation
    true actually, tbh who the hell would. "Republicans" ****ing gob****es not Republicans ......plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I wonder did the protestors have to take time off work to attend, or what's the story?

It's a hot oul day to be out in a tracksuit and celtic shirt too. There's commitment for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

To pmasterson95 and Sir Gallagher, I simply mentioned 'as a matter of fact' that every year on boards.ie there is an annual outporing of hatred towards such events on or around Remembrance day!

This is a matter fact, no provoction intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

LordSutch wrote: »
    To pmasterson95 and Sir Gallagher, I simply mentioned 'as a matter of fact' that every year on boards.ie there is an annual outporing of hatred towards such events on or around Remembrance day!

This is a matter fact, I am not provoking anyone.

Get up out of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I tolerated the shinners before today, now I absolutely hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

LordSutch wrote: »
    True Victor, but they make their presence very loudly here evey year on or around the commemorations of the Irish WWI dead.

Will be interesting to see if they pop up on this thread. (hopefully they wont).

There's a difference between those who simply don't take part in the Remembrance/Poppy Appeal commemoration and those who actively protest against it. Most of the debate surrounding the annual poppy thread revolved around one side insisting that we had an obligation to remember the dead, whilst another side claimed that we had a reason and a right not to. A lot of accusations of "Bitterness" and "Chips on shoulders" were thrown around, but this does not dismiss the fact that no one should force their views on others. There should be tolerance and respect.

These protesters are ignoring the right of individuals to commemorate their dead in peace. I'm a Republican (Maybe even of the types you're referring to) but I would hide my head in shame if I were anywhere these group of protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I'm English living in Galsnevin and while I respect they have the right to protest choosing this occasion to do so is incredible poor taste Hopefully a few of the people behind it will realise that and think twice before doing the same at similar occasions.

jimmii wrote: »
    I'm English living in Galsnevin and while I respect they have the right to protest choosing this occasion to do so is incredible poor taste Hopefully a few of the people behind it will realise that and think twice before doing the same at similar occasions.

They probably won't. They love the limelight for this kind of carry on.

They probably won't. They love the limelight for this kind of carry on.

There must be some sense in there somewhere though. There is a time and a place and during a memorial certainly isn't either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There's a difference between those who simply don't take part in the Remembrance/Poppy Appeal commemoration and those who actively protest against it. Most of the debate surrounding the annual poppy thread revolved around one side insisting that we had an obligation to remember the dead, whilst another side claimed that we had a reason and a right not to. A lot of accusations of "Bitterness" and "Chips on shoulders" were thrown around, but this does not dismiss the fact that no one should force their views on others. There should be tolerance and respect.

These protesters are ignoring the right of individuals to commemorate their dead in peace. I'm a Republican (Maybe even of the types you're referring to) but I would hide my head in shame if I were anywhere these group of protesters.

To be fair, I'd say even a "mainstream" republican party like Sinn Fein must have been cringing with embarrassment at today's scenes (as it was setting back the cause of Irish republicanism by years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Great. A bunch of yahoos decide to engage in a pretty despicable protest and the anti-Republican/Nationalist neurotics get to pin the blame on everyone with remotely Republican or nationalist views.

Well done lads - you too are dancing on the graves of the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is why I sincerely hope that party never come anywhere near political power in my lifetime.

That is an absolute disgrace. Relatives of mine are there to visit my Grandmother who past away a few months back and buried there, but also to pay respects at the memorial some of her brothers faught in that WW1.

If I was there I'd run them off with bats, nothing but mindless morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

It is good to see the reaction on this thread to the idiots protesting. It is clear that times have changed and our young people have more cop on.
    My grandfather and his brother fought in the war. His brother was blown to bits in 1916. My grandfather survived but I never met him because he died fairly young. They are both in Glasnevin. The British army actually put him through college after the war and he did very well for himself. I am proud of him but I am not sure if I would have "bragged" about them 20-30 years ago. Again, times have changed for the better.

TheDoc wrote: »
    This is why I sincerely hope that party never come anywhere near political power in my lifetime.

if it was Republican Sinn Fein and their ilk, don't worry they don't.

This wasn't the actual Sinn Fein (Gerry Adams et al), they have a bit more sense nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

These people are not republicans. They believe in authoritarian control of the country in their fashion. Like the other far-left groups they only want things to be run in their fashion. Democracy and the will of the people mean nothing to them. They just dont realise that themselves. They hate democracy because they cannot have it their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

jimmii wrote: »

A peaceful protest in complete silence outside the gates would have been fine but to heckle a memorial service was an utter disgrace. Maybe somebody should go along and play God Save The Queen at them through a loudspeaker at one of their Easter 1916 commemorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

TheDoc wrote: »

That is an absolute disgrace. Relatives of mine are there to visit my Grandmother who past away a few months back and buried there, but also to pay respects at the memorial some of her brothers faught in that WW1.

If I was there I'd run them off with bats, nothing but mindless morons.

I doubt Republican SF will be in power in your lifetime, but stranger things have happened, and indeed regularly do in the evolution of an Irish Republican.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

What the hell were the Guards doing? Did they not think something like this could happen and have the area cordoned off for the duration? Every Country, incl the UK, have anarchist and hippy types that protest at these kinds of events yet they're never allowed disrupt them. Yet here in Ireland they're allowed stand outside the wall and disrupt the whole thing.

Someone's going to get a rollicking for this.

A peaceful protest in complete silence outside the gates would have been fine but to heckle a memorial service was an utter disgrace. Maybe somebody should go along and play God Save The Queen at them through a loudspeaker at one of their Easter 1916 commemorations.

That certainly wouldn't go down well can you imagine the uproar!

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    I doubt Republican SF will be in power in your lifetime, but stranger things have happened, and indeed regularly do in the evolution of an Irish Republican.

I appreciate by the way there are two distinctly seperate groups that carry the Sinn Fein name, but as the electorate become increasingly disentivised with politics and the mainstream parties, there is a growing trend of indepedants and more radical views and groups being elected.

I remember saying that I'd rue the day if Enda Kenny ever came into power, and that happened, so ****ing anything is possible at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Absolutely shameful. This is a commemoration of the IRISH war dead in WW1.

They probably consider them traitors or some such nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Republican Sinn Fein consider Gerry Adams and co Traitors.....Shower of lunatics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

While I don't agree with picketing commemorations, the whole thing is a bit cringe worthy in its own right. World War One was a shameful conflict, a wholesale slaughter of working class people who were killed so an imperial ruling class could contest to see who would rob more in future. There was nothing noble about it, it certainly had little to do with "freedom" considering the British Army went on a rampage in Ireland soon after the war in an effort to crush Irish Independence.

I have no problem commemorating the war dead but I do have a problem when it gets piggy-backed on to the broader narrative of British imperialism being a splendid thing. Why can't we commemorate our own dead without having to do so in front of British imperial trappings such as aristocrats and British Army bands?

Traitor was being shouted by a select few according to the family. Which really, REALLY upset a good few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think you'd need a certain frame of mind to connect the commemoration to British Imperialism. That's nothing personal FTA69, I'd say imperialism would cross very few minds of those there today, and they'd mostly be the protestors!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

FTA69 wrote: »
    While I don't agree with picketing commemorations, the whole thing is a bit cringe worthy in its own right. World War One was a shameful conflict, a wholesale slaughter of working class people who were killed so an imperial ruling class could contest to see who would rob more in future. There was nothing noble about it, it certainly had little to do with "freedom" considering the British Army went on a rampage in Ireland soon after the war in an effort to crush Irish Independence.

I have no problem commemorating the war dead but I do have a problem when it gets piggy-backed on to the broader narrative of British imperialism being a splendid thing. Why can't we commemorate our own dead without having to do so in front of British imperial trappings such as aristocrats and British Army bands?

They are here paying respects. I've no problem with British dignitaries being present paying their respects. There was a heavy presence from our armed forces there today providing a guard of honour etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

FTA69 wrote: »

Probably because they were fighting under the English flag at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Why does it matter if the British are there? It's OUR celebration. The people who are attending the celebration are the ones who have dead relatives, or who feel they owe to the dead to pay tribute. People are entitled to mark an event in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Congratulations Republican Sinn Fein, you can now be officially branded as the Irish Westboro Baptist Church, who would picket something like this? The lack of respect is astounding, ****ing scumbags.

Advertisement