Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

LordSutch wrote: »
    Obviously the BA could have destroyed the PIRA in a cople of days (if it was on a one to one face off)

they wouldn't
    LordSutch wrote: »
    just like Hamas the PIRA were embedded among (some of) the nationalist community in NI just like Hamas are in Gaza, and look what's happening there. Thankfully the BA never adopted the all out war policies that the Israeli Army have, because if the had, not only would the PIRA have been wiped out, but so too would half the population of NI & probably the Republic too.

and much of the population of britain as bombs would have gone off there left right and centre

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

NI belongs to the island of ireland and if they want to rejoin the republic then it should happen whether the republic wants them or not.

Haiti belongs to the island of Hispaniola - if it wants to join the Dominican Republic..........?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The agreement only stands among those who voted for it.Keep ignoring the reality that there are those on both sides who didn't sign up to it

So only those who vote for a government are bound by its laws. Numbers don't count and you know better than the people. General Franco is alive and well. What contempt for the people!
    That number is growing, not diminishing. As I say, the usual terminal stupidity of British and Irish governments is to ignore these things until they become uncontrollable problems.

Oh wait. Numbers do count - but only when they might give the impression of being favourable to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

they wouldn't

and much of the population of britain as bombs would have gone off there left right and centre

The ira, with their fertilizer bombs and a handful of armalites, with maybe a few home made mortars could have beaten the British army with challenger tanks, Harrier jump jets and stuff like that?

Good luck with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

NI belongs to the island of ireland and if they want to rejoin the republic then it should happen whether the republic wants them or not.

Constantly repeating yourself doesnt make something true, thats a lesson republicans and unionsts alike could do with learning though tbh

• Advertisement

The ira, with their fertilizer bombs and a handful of armalites, with maybe a few home made mortars could have beaten the British army with challenger tanks, Harrier jump jets and stuff like that?

Good luck with that one.
    they got the **** beaten out of them in iraq and afghanistan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

feargale wrote: »
    So only those who vote for a government are bound by its laws. Numbers don't count and you know better than the people. General Franco is alive and well. What contempt for the people!

Has the reality that this is not going away changed after your prissy little rant?
    Eh...no.

Oh wait. Numbers do count - but only when they might give the impression of being favourable to you.

Brilliant head in the sand answer...top of the class.

Go have a rant on somebody else's time. Your nonsense constantly stops these threads getting anywhere, I can't be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

That sounds a lot loke the unionist mindset in the 60's. We'll do what we want and to hell with the nationalists.

I guess you would have fit in well with that crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

So, if the people of N.I. decide that they want to join us, we have to accept them without question, irrespective of what it is likely to cost us; socially and financially? I don't think so. That would be FF-esque negligence on the part of the establishment here.

I'll tell you what should and will happen, if such a vote ever happens. If N.I. voted to amalgamate with us then the people of Ireland would decide whether or not we wanted them. It a mute point at the moment, as there is no appetite for such an amalgamation outside a small percentage of republicans with time on their hands.

Berserker wrote: »
    So, if the people of N.I. decide that they want to join us, we have to accept them without question, irrespective of what it is likely to cost us; socially and financially? I don't think so. That would be FF-esque negligence on the part of the establishment here.

I'll tell you what should and will happen, if such a vote ever happens. If N.I. voted to amalgamate with us then the people of Ireland would decide whether or not we wanted them. It a mute point at the moment, as there is no appetite for such an amalgamation outside a small percentage of republicans with time on their hands.

You should post up the results of this 'poll' that you have taken.

• Advertisement

I didn't take one, BBC NI did canvassing both sides of the community in N.I. but that's probably not acceptable to you .......

So, if the people of N.I. decide that they want to join us, we have to accept them without question, irrespective of what it is likely to cost us; socially and financially?

yes. it would be worth it.
    I don't think so.

well i do and you will accept them.
    That would be FF-esque negligence on the part of the establishment here.

not at all.
    I'll tell you what should and will happen, if such a vote ever happens. If N.I. voted to amalgamate with us then the people of Ireland would decide whether or not we wanted them.

no, the south will be told what is happening, we will accept them as i said and thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

well i do and you will accept them.

not at all.

no, the south will be told what is happening, we will accept them as i said and thats it.

Hate to interrupt you're little fascist fantasy land but thats not how things work in the real world. Try North Korea.You'll fit in well there.

Explain exactly how it would be worth it considering NI is not self sustaining economy that is proper up by the British taxpayer and we already are taking out loans to cover our own costs on a monthly basis as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

If such a poll were taken again would you accept the results ?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Explain exactly how it would be worth it considering NI is not self sustaining economy that is proper up by the British taxpayer and we already are taking out loans to cover our own costs on a monthly basis as it is.
    it would be worth the reunification of ireland which has been the goal since 1921 when part of our country was sold away and stolen from the people

it would be worth the reunification of ireland which has been the goal since 1921 when part of our country was sold away and stolen from the people

So the financial and economic ruin of both countries would be wroth it? Neither country is currently in a stable enough state for reunification. Reunification just for the sake of it is a ridiculous attitude if it leads financial collapse again.

Has the reality that this is not going away changed after your prissy little rant?
    Eh...no.
    Brilliant head in the sand answer...top of the class.
    Go have a rant on somebody else's time. Your nonsense constantly stops these threads getting anywhere, I can't be bothered.

You've lost it.

marienbad wrote: »
    If such a poll were taken again would you accept the results ?

We are not talking about people who will take part in your poll.
    What I would accept has sweet fa to do with it.

We are not talking about people who will take part in your poll.
    What I would accept has sweet fa to do with it.

What are you saying ? Can you please speak plainly ? It is not my poll ,I am asking if there was a rerun of the GFA referenda/polls right now, woylf you accept the outcome ?

• Advertisement

What are you saying ? Can you please speak plainly ? It is not my poll ,I am asking if there was a rerun of the GFA referenda/polls right now, woylf you accept the outcome ?

Thankfully, I can decipher republican gobbledygook. The poster is telling us that he would accept the results if it suited his agenda. If the results did not support his view then he would rubbish it as sectarian nonsense.

Yes I would as I did the first time around.
    That is of no importance here though, the GFA is inadequate in terms of bringing large amounts of both sides into constitutional politics. And those numbers (as has been pointed out by political leaders, (particularly the ones partitionist Dublin governments never want to listen to) are on the rise.
    What good is yours or my 'agreements' in the face of that is the question. Not worth a hill of beans imo.
    Thankfully, I can decipher republican gobbledygook. The poster is telling us that he would accept the results if it suited his agenda. If the results did not support his view then he would rubbish it as sectarian nonsense.

Grow up and then come back with some sensible comment.

Too close to the truth, was I?
    And those numbers (as has been pointed out by political leaders, (particularly the ones partitionist Dublin governments never want to listen to) are on the rise.

Who are these leaders that Dublin governments never want to listen to? Do you have any reliable source to back up your claim that support is on the rise?

NB : I am waiting for you to quote a certain report as proof.

Too close to the truth, was I?

No, but you hit the stupid button square on.

VinLieger wrote: »
    So the financial and economic ruin of both countries would be wroth it? Neither country is currently in a stable enough state for reunification. Reunification just for the sake of it is a ridiculous attitude if it leads financial collapse again.
    not at all, it would all be for the genuine cause of reunifying ireland as one country

not at all, it would all be for the genuine cause of reunifying ireland as one country

But whats the benefit of reunifying the country when neither NI or RoI are ready for it either politically or economically? Surely it would make for a much better story to have headlines of "Ireland reunified and economy growing strong" Instead of "Ireland reunifying causes economic collapse leading to more years of recession".

The first would lead to much better relations on both sides while the second would surely just lead to violence and give those of the population that were against it buckets of metaphorical ammo to support their cause.

Look its going to happen eventually I have no doubt but seriously right now is not the time and most likely 10 years from now wont be either and that's okay because there is no point in rushing it. Doing it purely for the sake of it is simply not enough of a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Ha, ha, Ha, Ha......

Yes I would as I did the first time around.
    That is of no importance here though, the GFA is inadequate in terms of bringing large amounts of both sides into constitutional politics. And those numbers (as has been pointed out by political leaders, (particularly the ones partitionist Dublin governments never want to listen to) are on the rise.
    What good is yours or my 'agreements' in the face of that is the question. Not worth a hill of beans imo.

How is the GFA inadequate ? No matter what you do there will always be a percentage that disagree.

And that is absolutely unavoidable -surely you see that ?

That fact is an overwhelming majority both north and south are happy with how things are going.

How is the GFA inadequate ? No matter what you do there will always be a percentage that disagree.

And that is absolutely unavoidable -surely you see that ?

That fact is an overwhelming majority both north and south are happy with how things are going.
    I don't know what you don't get about me agreeing with you.
    All that above does not solve the problem though. There are significant numbers to whom the agreement does not apply. And anybody with any REAL interest knows that the agreement is lurching fro crisis to crisis at the moment, increasing the numbers of dissenters.
    And the two governments are largely ignoring that and once again 'accepting' a level of violence and insurrection, with the blessings of some of the people.
    History should have taught them that you cannot walk away from the core problem.

• Advertisement

I don't know what you don't get about me agreeing with you.
    All that above does not solve the problem though. There are significant numbers to whom the agreement does not apply. And anybody with any REAL interest knows that the agreement is lurching fro crisis to crisis at the moment, increasing the numbers of dissenters.
    And the two governments are largely ignoring that and once again 'accepting' a level of violence and insurrection, with the blessings of some of the people.
    History should have taught them that you cannot walk away from the core problem.

That may or may not be the case , but it is irrelevant . And why ? Because they will always be a proportion of people who will disagree with any legislation .

And if you cater for that tranche of voters you alienate a similar number and you just switch one minority for another.

The GFA was endorsed by an overwhelming majority and usually that is as good as it gets .

You say the governments are ignoring issues - what do you suggest they do ?

Advertisement