Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protestors disrupting World War 1 commemoration at Glasnevin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mosby61

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Again, the PIRA lost a lot of support in the wake of such atrocities*. Loyalists on the other hand were celebrated in their communities for shooting innocent Catholics in bars, bookies or at work.

In the wake of that bomb:

The UDA shot a Catholic delivery driver in Belfast after luring him to a bogus call just a few hours after the bombing. He died on 25 October.

On 26 October, the UDA shot dead another two Catholic civilians and wounded five in an indiscriminate attack at a Council Depot on Kennedy Way, Belfast.

On 30 October, UDA members entered a pub in Greysteel frequented by Catholics and again opened-fire indiscriminately. Eight civilians were killed and 13 were wounded.

Adair also vowed to launch simultaneous attacks on Catholics attending mass in Belfast. A UDA member said that a carload of gunmen were sent to attack Holy Family Catholic Church on the Limestone Road, but called off the attack due to the high security.

The UVF shot dead a Catholic man in Newtownabbey and two Catholic brothers in Bleary.

See the difference there? The guys in the fish shop were trying to kill paramilitaries of Johnny Adair's ilk while the people they were trying to kill went out and murdered innocent unarmed people for being Catholics. Brave men eh?

*That bomb was meant for loyalist killers who were thought to be meeting upstairs. The plan was to evacuate the people in the shop and detonate the bomb. Seán Kelly, the surviving IRA member, was badly wounded in the blast ... in an interview shortly after his release, he said he had never intended to kill innocent people and regrets what happened.
    More excuse making. The truth is a plaque went up to commemorate a mass murderer and that is a fact. People do this from both sides. That was my whole point. Well mainly Belfast such is the amount of lunatics who live in the place.

I'm just glad you now know about that offensive plaque.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mosby61

Nodin wrote: »
    Fairly sure there's more Republicans than the 20 or so who showed up at the cemetery. Even more sure they generally don't support RSF.
    They are still Irish Republicans. They deserve criticism for acting in a shameful manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Mosby61 wrote: »
    They are still Irish Republicans. They deserve criticism for acting in a shameful manner.
    Of course *they* (as in the people involved in this incident) deserve criticism. Nobody said they don't. The point being made is that they aren't = all Irish republicans, and people who say they are, seem to be pushing an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Mosby61 wrote: »
    People do this from both sides.

Only one side creates a celebratory culture around it as is evidenced by the images of loyalist murderers on drums and banners carried by marching bands every summer.

Here's more of it:
    Angry south Belfast residents have accused loyalist paramilitaries of hijacking a First World War memorial in order to commemorate UFF killers.

There has been an angry backlash to a UDA parade that included the laying of wreaths below a plaque bearing the names of five loyalist terrorists.

belfasttelegraph.co.uk

The image in the memorial garden is of loyalist murderers Joe Bratty and Raymond elder.
    Bratty christened his unit Ku Klux Klan and members of the group, including himself, had the initials KKK tattooed on their arms ... Bratty was known for his hatred of black people ... Bratty ordered the attack on the lower Ormeau branch of Sean Graham's bookmakers on 5 February 1992, an act resulting in the death of five men Bratty's unit was allegedly involved in the murder of Michael Gilbride, a Catholic taxi driver who had settled in the Lower Ormeau area ... Another victim was Donna Wilson, a Protestant and resident of Annadale Flats who had recently moved to the area from the Tullycarnet, East Belfast. A number of residents had complained to Bratty in his role as local UDA commander about the noise of her stereo and he assembled a team of ten men armed with baseball bats who broke in [and] beat her to death

It's pretty disgusting that people seek to have loyalist mass murderers deified by associating them with people who fought and died in WWI and WWII.

If I was British I'd be angry. If I lost a relative in the world wars I'd be furious and looking for the authorities to take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I always seem to wonder what the jazz is / in general reasoning for protestors, and im not talking about actual problems worth protesting about aka water charges/household tax/things that are just being introduced for no reason whatsoever but to pay off the banks tbh :rolleyes:

But when Ive seen them outside circuses, zoos, commemmorations etc, things that have been going for years, have brought happiness to people, are interesting, fulfill something and maybe bring memories of childhood/people are bringing their kids to - all it is is ruining peoples experience of it and has stopped certain circuses from having wild animals in their show even though they have always done so - I noticed this last year and wasnt told anything about this before or on buying my tickets

It was a great show of course, but I just felt there was something missing that was always there and that I enjoyed

This is probably just my thinkings, but upon seeing the thread title this is what came to my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Their bully boy tactics seem just about right :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Watching the various events today, I reckon the Glasnevin commemoration was the only such WW1 memorial in the entire world to have been disrupted by protesters and hecklers.

On reflection, I wonder if President Higgins was privately furious with the Gardai for allowing the hecklers within earshot of the ceremony. I bet any of the other countries holding commemorations today would have shifted protesters with riot police and water cannons, especially ones hell bent on shouting down the one minute's silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Strazdas wrote: »
    Watching the various events today, I reckon the Glasnevin commemoration was the only such WW1 memorial in the entire world to have been disrupted by protesters and hecklers.

On reflection, I wonder if President Higgins was privately furious with the Gardai for allowing the hecklers within earshot of the ceremony. I bet any of the other countries holding commemorations today would have shifted protesters with riot police and water cannons, especially ones hell bent on shouting down the one minute's silence.
    doubt it, if riot police vermin tried removing "protesters" it would have ended in a blood bath and that would have got the attention rather then the commemorations, water cannon is ineffective anyway in such a situation unless you can get enough of them into the area but even at that it won't stop such a protest, best to let them have their little protest

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

doubt it, if riot police vermin tried removing "protesters" it would have ended in a blood bath and that would have got the attention rather then the commemorations, water cannon is ineffective anyway in such a situation unless you can get enough of them into the area but even at that it won't stop such a protest, best to let them have their little protest

I can't imagine that organisers of the events in the UK, Belgium, France etc today would let protesters stand 100 yards away from a sombre commemoration event and allow them heckle and shout down that country's head of state as they spoke.....it just wouldn't happen.

• Advertisement

I can't imagine that organisers of the events in the UK, Belgium, France etc today would let protesters stand 100 yards away from a sombre commemoration event and allow them heckle and shout down that country's head of state as they spoke.....it just wouldn't happen.
    they wouldn't have a choice, if the police did anything there would be a violent situation and possibly a blood bath, better to leave them at it and if they have broken any laws deal with them later on, the police in the UK at least are slowly learning this concept

they wouldn't have a choice, if the police did anything there would be a violent situation and possibly a blood bath, better to leave them at it and if they have broken any laws deal with them later on, the police in the UK at least are slowly learning this concept

As far as I know, police have the right to move or arrest anyone who is engaging in "disorderly behaviour", which includes shouting abuse at someone.

As far as I know, police have the right to move or arrest anyone who is engaging in "disorderly behaviour", which includes shouting abuse at someone.
    yes, but nobody was "abused" it wasn't nice but the guardai handled it the right way.

yes, but nobody was "abused" it wasn't nice but the guardai handled it the right way.

I think shouting "You traitor" at the President could come under harassment or abuse (which is why I was wondering if he was privately very annoyed at what happened).

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

What a f**king disgrace. A ceremony to honor the dead and these idiots making a show of themselves and dishonoring all these people. Makes me sick

loh_oro wrote: »
    What a f**king disgrace. A ceremony to honor the dead and these idiots making a show of themselves and dishonoring all these people. Makes me sick

I think most people here would you agree with you. When you see how all the other ceremonies went off today in respectful silence for the dead, it's a real shame the Irish one was ruined by a handful of ignorant louts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'm an Irish Republican and I don't agree with their actions. Plenty of Irish lads signed up, fought and died under the British flag due to a variety of causes which I can't begin to comprehend.

Imagine having no work at home and a family reliant on you. or signing up as part of the Volunteers in the belief that it would benefit the Nationalist cause etc etc. I'm in no place to judge those fellow Irish men, tens of thousands of whom were caught up and died in bloody slaughter owing to factors well outside their control. I can honour them whilst still acknowledging that the whole thing was a mess. Booing and heckling remembrances for such lads is not anything I want a part of, nor for the matter do I want to glorify or gloss over the facts of it all.

I'm glad I was born when I was, otherwise it could have been me dying in vain on some godforsaken battlefield in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

"nobody was "abused"" lol. The President of Ireland was verbally abused and defamed during a minutes silence to commemorate Irish men who gave there lives for peace. What is it they were protesting exactly? Bunch of mangy scumbags.

c_man wrote: »
    I'm an Irish Republican and I don't agree with their actions. Plenty of Irish lads signed up, fought and died under the British flag due to a variety of causes which I can't begin to comprehend.

Imagine having no work at home and a family reliant on you. or signing up as part of the Volunteers in the belief that it would benefit the Nationalist cause etc etc. I'm in no place to judge those fellow Irish men, tens of thousands of whom were caught up and died in bloody slaughter owing to factors well outside their control. I can honour them whilst still acknowledging that the whole thing was a mess. Booing and heckling remembrances for such lads is not anything I want a part of, nor for the matter do I want to glorify or gloss over the facts of it all.

I'm glad I was born when I was, otherwise it could have been me dying in vain on some godforsaken battlefield in Europe.

And calling them "traitors" is bad form (and inaccurate). A traitor in my book is someone who joined an army and took up arms against Ireland. Those men did nothing of the sort. They went to fight Germany and their allies in the fields of France and Belgium....there was nothing treacherous to Ireland in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Slovenian National Committee for the 100th Anniversary of World War I (2014–2018) – presentation

With the establishing of the Slovenian National Committee for the 100th Anniversary of World War I (2014–2018) (hereinafter: National Committee) in the summer of 2012, the Republic of Slovenia became actively involved in the Europe-wide commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the start of World War I. Deriving from the Slovenian experience of war and collective memories, Slovenia resolved to act in the spirit that overcomes the divisions that plunged Europe into war in 1914 and reinforces the ideas of coexistence and tolerance, and to act in light of inter-cultural and intergenerational dialogue. This is also reflected in the logo of the National Committee, which illustrates the continuous march of soldiers leaving behind women, children, the elderly, devastation, and ultimately a hope to return.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You do know that the conflict from 69 ws a direct result of the South tacitly accepting partition and leaving Irish men and women at the mercy of a sectarian statelet and that those who ran that statelet are still vehemently and sometimes violently opposed to the normalisation of that statelet?
    There is still work to be done, work that the south reneged on.

Wash your hands all you want, it doesn't absolve any Irish person who stands by and lets that happen just so they can sleep safe at night.

This work, will it be done within the parameters and in the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement?

feargale wrote: »
    This work, will it be done within the parameters and in the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement?

* feargale nudges Happyman *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I don't get celebrating the beginning of a war....surely they should be celebrating its end .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I don't get celebrating the beginning of a war....surely they should be celebrating its end .

Commemorating, not celebrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Thank's Fratton, its a common misconception among many Irish Republicans that we are celebrating the war every year, indeed I even heard Michael D Higgins on the TV the other night commenting oh how he couldn't understand the celebrations either! Sadly the interviewer didn't offer the Commemoration option to him.

There is no celebration to be had when you think of all the death & the total waste of life of the millions who died in WWI.

Its all about the sombre & sad commemoration of those who lost their lives in the Great War, with between 35.000 and 50.000 Irish men being among the dead.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You do know that the conflict from 69 ws a direct result of the South tacitly accepting partition and leaving Irish men and women at the mercy of a sectarian statelet and that those who ran that statelet are still vehemently and sometimes violently opposed to the normalisation of that statelet?
    There is still work to be done, work that the south reneged on.

Wash your hands all you want, it doesn't absolve any Irish person who stands by and lets that happen just so they can sleep safe at night.
    feargale wrote: »

* feargale gives Happyman a mild dig in the ribs *

* feargale presses the weight of his right foot down on Happyman's toes *

* feargale taps his shoe on Happyman's arse *

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

*feargale is just a bit too conceited *

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    *feargale is just a bit too conceited *

No. feargale is awaiting a reply to his question.

Advertisement