Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's World Cup 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Excellent win. Now just wait for rest of the games to be played to see who we face

Lots of work ahead of semi but theyre the first senior irish side to make a world cup semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Yeah well done to the girls in green 1st time ever in semi Final great achievement!! For their own good a few of them need to learn to dive when going over to score before they get battered by an opposing player diving in for an attempted tackle

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You tell em Lynne Cantwell! Yes we can!

Super fitness today, keep rockin and rollin ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Was a bit scrappy for a while but got the job done. Great achievement to reach the semi-finals. Opportunities like this don't come around too often so hopefully they can perform to their potential in the semi-final.

Liked the fact that they didn't kick it out for the final play and went and got another try. Doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things but still good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Good job Ireland.

What time is the US v NZ game on at?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Any link to the after match interview? Tg4 didn't have sound for it.

Good job Ireland.

5pm. England Canada in 40 minutes or so should be good. Both 2 wins from 2 and winner takes all for semi final spot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I really hope that the women's team get even better promotion and venues and crowds next season. I think they are pretty awesome. A lot of guys interested in rugby don't realise how full on the game is now and would be even more interested if they realised it. I've been hugely impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Going by twitter Jackie Shiels. Was the kicker today is that right? How many kicks did she take and how many did she score. Missed the game due to work

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Good job Ireland.

Red button at 4.50 I think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

siobhan08 wrote: »
    Going by twitter Jackie Shiels. Was the kicker today is that right? How many kicks did she take and how many did she score. Missed the game due to work

5 out of 6 and the direction was good on the 6th it just fell short.

Or maybe 6 from 7. Missed one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

siobhan08 wrote: »

She missed one conversion out of six attempts. Some great place kicking- especially the last con..

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Great victory by the Irish girls today pity about the commentary as other than what the referee was saying I couldn't make out a word of it. TG4 seem to have an awful lot of sports coverage hijacked of late. And did they silence the interview with the Irish captain at the end. I'm one of a very big club who cant understand it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Great victory by the Irish girls today pity about the commentary as other than what the referee was saying I couldn't make out a word of it. TG4 seem to have an awful lot of sports coverage hijacked of late. And did they silence the interview with the Irish captain at the end. I'm one of a very big club who cant understand it I think

It's a massive mistake by Irish rugby. At a time when they should be maximising the audience and spreading the game, they are selling off too many games to minority interest groups and alienating the majority of the pubic.

No pity about the commentary. If tg4 didn't have coverage much more people wouldn't be able to watch the rugby. TG4 haven't hijacked any coverage of late.
    Some great wins that could be seen by more people as they were on tg4 than would have without their coverage
    Piliger wrote: »
    It's a massive mistake by Irish rugby. At a time when they should be maximising the audience and spreading the game, they are selling off too many games to minority interest groups and alienating the majority of the pubic.
    No it isn't a massive mistake. TG4 got the rights and did RTE even look for them??
    They are not selling off too many games to minority groups. TG4s coverage of the rugby has been excellent and is spreading the game. If TG4 didn't show the amount of rugby they do there would be much less rugby on our screens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

If RTE did bother their backside to buy rights they prob would have thrown it only online as a stream - which would have been a massive disservice to the Competition (and for those of us with ****E internet)

Irish rugby owes alot to TG4 - who were showing Celtic League games when RTE News would often hardly even broadcast the scores..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭OldRio

So so much wrong with this statement. Never mind not reading the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Without TG4 you wouldn't have the match today. Would you rather that? And they don't hijack anything. Rather they often take the crumbs that aren't good enough for the aristocrats of television, as they did today.
    " I couldn't make out a word of it." : I have the very same problem with the commentary on Spanish and Italian soccer channels. The damn fellows just won't speak English!

Jesus Canada are giving England a good run. This could be another major upset.

Yeah. These pesky minorities! The Yazidis etc..

Spreading the game like when they tried to liquidate Connacht a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,392 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sullivlo wrote: »
    Jesus Canada are giving England a good run. This could be another major upset.

It wouldn't really be a major upset to be honest, Canada are very strong in women's rugby.

I think the spread was only around 5 or 7 to be honest.

What was wrong with that try

sydthebeat wrote: »
    It wouldn't really be a major upset to be honest, Canada are very strong in women's rugby.

I think the spread was only around 5 or 7 to be honest.
    It would be a major upset in terms that as it stands, New Zealand would not make the semis.

I know Canada are a good side - they nearly beat NZ in the lead up to the tournament.

What a weird song to play at the end of the match :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So NZ are out.

Okay. I think that we want Australia to beat France - without a bonus point, but without France getting a BP. This would leave Ireland as top seeds and a semi final against (likely) Canada.

If France win, Ireland would be second seeds and it would mean a semi final against England.

So NZ are out.

A mhàthair Îosa! ( sorry, Fieldsman and Piliger. )

I'd like to know that too.

Forward pass in the lead up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

feargale wrote: »
    A mhàthair Îosa! ( sorry, Fieldsman and Piliger. )

Dochreidte Jeff

Advertisement