Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's World Cup 2014

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

Score?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

thirteen. wrote: »
    Score?

20-18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Frustrating amount of unforced errors. They must be knackered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Despite the fact that it's now likely that Ireland will come 4th, I'm still massively impressed with their tournament.

And I think this will be the match of the day as I suspect England will have too much for Canada.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Still a great achievement to get as far as they have.

Where were they ranked in the world prior to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just not good enough I'm afraid. We have too many passengers to be world champions. Hopefully this will inspire more young girls to take up rugby and wededevelop better players for the. Future tournaments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Just not good enough I'm afraid. We have too many passengers to be world champions. Hopefully this will inspire more young girls to take up rugby and wededevelop better players for the. Future tournaments
    That's a slight bit harsh. To even reach semi finals is fantastic considering where we've came from. It hopefully will see more take up the sport and my own club has already seen an increase in players part in thanks to the world cup with 4/5 new players picking up sport in last few weeks
    Stheno wrote: »
    Still a great achievement to get as far as they have.

Where were they ranked in the world prior to this?
    They were 7th on basis of the last world cup. World rankings not updated in women's game like the mens. They'll be ranked 4th now and that's fair on basis of successes of this tournament and last few seasons of improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭phog

DellyBelly wrote: »

Too many passengers? This team have taken us to heights yet to be experienced with our men's team and they've been playing international rugby since the 1800" s

Edited to say - I'm immensely proud of their performances in the WC

Rooting for Canada now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

my daughter palys with UCC and LOVES it. But Irish Womens Rugby needs more layers. Remember it is the people training hard with the third team who keep the 2nd team on their toes, and it is the 2nd team players pushing hard that drive the 1st team on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

In fairness it was always going to be tough to maintain the peak after the New Zealand result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DonnellysArm

P_1 wrote: »
    In fairness it was always going to be tough to maintain the peak after the New Zealand result.

Its a pity that they weren’t able to maintain that level of performance throughout the tournament. However I am not surprised. We have seen it before with the men and the u20 teams and even the natonal soccer team at world championships. Each team won a match that everybody kept talking about and which gave us all hope that they could finally reach a semi final. How come we cant take the next step? Are we physically not up to scratch or do we need to get mentally stronger? Do we have correct recovery strategies in place? Provincial teams can win big games on a trot and we can also do it in 6n championships. What is it with world championships?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

That try means it's Englands World Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Pity Leinster didn't sign Emily Scarratt - seems the perfect replacement for BOD, and the big bruiser that MOC likes. Ladies first, men in 12 months time for England...?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭koura

Great to watch England and Canada playing Rugby on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Not a bad game, Canada chased it for too long. They stayed within reach for the vast majority of the game but I don't think that the result was ever really going to be anything else. Congrats to England! Proud of our performance too, hopefully it will drive Ladies rugby on in the country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Best team won the tournament imho. England had standout players at 4,7, 9, 10 and 13

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Really enjoyed the game unfortunately for Canada they'd too many handling errors. That Magali Harvey is some player, the fact that she's gorgeous doesn't do her any harm either. Sorry if that seems sexist but women have been ogling male players for years now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Decent standard overall, great to see Ireland do so well. Good to see Canada reach the final too, hopefully they can kick on in the mens game too. Agree about that Magali Harvey, she is quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

I actually got quite into the final, I wasn't intending to watch it after the Ireland game had finished.

The initial impression was that England were just going to steamroll Canada, thought it could be another rout. The English side looked a lot more powerful physically in addition.

But the Canadians never gave up and perhaps the crucial point in the match came when Canada had got within two points and immediately conceded a penalty from the restart. Prior to this you could see England visibly feeling the pressure and losing confidence each time the Canadians kicked a penalty. I think this was a real turning point.

I also wondered why Canada ran the ball at every opportunity. Even though this certainly enhanced the level of entertainment for the spectators, you wondered should they have gone for a couple of tactical kicks now and again just to mix it up a bit?

Even though I wasn't supporting them, I think England were probably the tournament's best team and of course it would have been harsh to see them lose four finals in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has anyone tried that outside of the foot kicking style that Harvey uses? I can't kick the ball ten metres that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Apparently Magali has a soccer background so it's lent itself to kicking in that style rather than the traditional rugby style. So good to see a player playing with a smile on her face too, showing that women can participate in rugby and enjoy it without having to pump too much macho aggression into the game. Not saying that the game wasn't intense but maybe just not so full of testosterone which was a good thing!

Advertisement