Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's World Cup 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Yeah an 100% record ain't too shabby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Kept the head. Brilliant defending. A real team win. well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Get your daughters out playing rugby! :)

Great stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm jumping on the bandwagon but that is bloody amazing. I think the NZ women's team have won the last few World Cups too.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭cityman 18

I'm jumping on the bandwagon but that is bloody amazing. I think the NZ women's team have won the last few World Cups too.

Not beaten in WRC since 1991 apparently. Fantastic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

A deserved win. I thought from the start that the Irish players more than had the measure of BNZ, however when they didn't score from their early pressure, and then conceded the first penalty and try, I thought the game would go away from them.

But fair play, takes a lot of character to come back from that and show your superiority, make it count on the scoreboard, and get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Won the last 4! Great result for Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

They should fear no team after that.

cityman 18 wrote: »
    Not beaten in WRC since 1991 apparently. Fantastic stuff.
    Eod100 wrote: »
    Won the last 4! Great result for Ireland!

Wow that is quite something.

Sure they have to win the whole thing now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Fair play to them, mighty stuff!

Always good to beat NZ

• Advertisement

Always good to beat NZ

:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ok looking at the other pools and doing a bit of guestimating (and perhaps getting ahead of things!!)

England are probably going to end on 15 points.
    Ireland are probably going to end on 13 points.
    France or Australia are probably going to end on 14 or 9 points.
    New Zealand are probably going to end on 10 points.

Looks like it'll be Ireland v the winner of France v Australia and England v New Zealand in the semi finals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Sadly I still think England will win it :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fantastic result, the team must be over the moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Hmmm is this a sign of bad losers or just a bit of fun?

Can't they just way well done?

nztweet.jpg

There is no way that meant any harm by that. We have been saying the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hmmm is this a sign of bad losers or just a bit of fun?

Can't they just way well done?

nztweet.jpg

Ah it's a bit of banter. If anything it goes to highlight the womens achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Its been deleted already anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Fair play to them, mighty stuff!

Always good to beat NZ

When was the last time then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wonderful attitude on show there today, what a classy bunch of professionals.

Very proud of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Well done the women and coaching team! Ye had the measure of that team, kept the heads, ploughed on and came out victorious! Very proud of ye all!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Wonderful attitude on show there today, what a classy bunch of professionals.

Very proud of them!

Are they not classed as amateur players? Most of them have jobs iirc outside of rugby

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Stheno wrote: »
    Are they not classed as amateur players? Most of them have jobs iirc outside of rugby

All of them have jobs. Some work for the union as development officers but they are amateur athletes.

Having played with and against nearly all the girls today, I have never been more proud. Super game. Things to work on, but a semi final is in our sights and we could be set for our highest ever finish.

So happy this evening.

sullivlo wrote: »
    All of them have jobs. Some work for the union as development officers but they are amateur athletes.

Having played with and against nearly all the girls today, I have never been more proud. Super game. Things to work on, but a semi final is in our sights and we could be set for our highest ever finish.

So happy this evening.

Makes the achievement even greater imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I wasn't able to watch that but what an achievement. Brilliant performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Niamh Briggs is a Garda for example.

Anyway as the 2nd half wore on I thought they started to flag and that the physicality of the game was going to take its toll but they rallied and to be actually putting pressure on the NZ line all the way up to the 80th minute was fantastic. They are a really well coached team, even when NZ got in behind they kept their shape and made their tackles. Brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

France kicking ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Why?

With the way things have worked out we could have a real shot at winning this. There'll be a few rested against Kazakstan I expect and they should still get the win to get a semi spot which is likely to be v France or Australia

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Why?

With the way things have worked out we could have a real shot at winning this. There'll be a few rested against Kazakstan I expect and they should still get the win to get a semi spot which is likely to be v France or Australia

Greater because they all have full time jobs that aren't rugby. They give up their weekends and evenings and travel to camps (two or three in Ireland, one in the UK) midweek, and each have tailored gym plans each day that they cover in the mornings. They go to the gym before work, work for a day, go train, sleep. Their weekends are spent training.

Lynne Cantwell flew back to Dublin every weekend for 6 weeks before the 6N started.

They are not full time athletes so the achievement that they were physically able to close out a game against athletes, some of whom are semi pro, is no mean feat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Anyone know if this will be repeated anywhere. Watched bits on the commute home from work but missed most of it.

Advertisement