Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's World Cup 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

P_1 wrote: »
    Ok looking at the other pools and doing a bit of guestimating (and perhaps getting ahead of things!!)

England are probably going to end on 15 points.
    Ireland are probably going to end on 13 points.
    France or Australia are probably going to end on 14 or 9 points.
    New Zealand are probably going to end on 10 points.
    Looks like it'll be Ireland v the winner of France v Australia and England v New Zealand in the semi finals.

Canada and England both have 10 pts in Group1 and plausible enough that the loser of their meeting will get a losing bonus point to finish on 11.
    So therefore likely that NZ will need to get 11 also so will need a 4 try victory against USA. I'm not sure thats a given, USA have looked organised and on a line through Ireland (probably unreliable) there isn't much between both teams.

A deeply cynical thought would be that Canada and England should both make sure they get 4 tries each early on to get a 4 try bonus so as to guarantee they both get to minimum 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Blow me down! I see the ladies took down the black ferns. That's a great effort. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

well done to the women - great result - out of curiosity are the sevens team excellent too, could they too do well at Rio ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Canada and England both have 10 pts in Group1 and plausible enough that the loser of their meeting will get a losing bonus point to finish on 11.
    So therefore likely that NZ will need to get 11 also so will need a 4 try victory against USA. I'm not sure thats a given, USA have looked organised and on a line through Ireland (probably unreliable) there isn't much between both teams.

A deeply cynical thought would be that Canada and England should both make sure they get 4 tries each early on to get a 4 try bonus so as to guarantee they both get to minimum 11.

Now that is cynical, surely England would have nothing to do with such a nefarious plan that will ensure the elimination of their biggest pre-tournament rival and also grant Canada a bit of history. Surely not :cool:;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

thebaz wrote: »
    well done to the women - great result - out of curiosity are the sevens team excellent too, could they too do well at Rio ?

It depends. This year the 7's team haven't performed, but that is because it's a WC year so most players are focused on 15's. Some players may switch allegiance when the WC is over. Example, 4 of the 7's squad are from the talent ID roadshow - girls who only played rugby for the first time this year. Speedsters. Will be interesting to see which, if any, of the 15's team will switch for the Rio year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Well done to the ladies. Fantastic result.
    Anyone know where to find highlight for this game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

Yes! We have finally done it! We've finally beaten the all blacks! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well done to the Ladies. Great win from what seem a really talented group. Hope they go on and win it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Excellent stuff. Only caught the first five minutes but it looks like they were worthy winners.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fQUDf-Mza9E

Highlights from yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So the women get to do what the men couldn't do. Whatever way you look at this, it is a brilliant win. And well deserved, by all accounts. I missed this match, but won't be missing any more!

Yogosan wrote: »
    Yes! We have finally done it! We've finally beaten the all blacks! :eek:

I should be pedantic and say black ferns. But I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I should be pedantic and say black ferns. But I won't.

Ah go on, you know you want to!

Its your own Union drawing the comparison to be fair! Even if they did remove their own churlish tweet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Did they remove it? Why? Thought it was a good bit of banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Great win
    .ak wrote: »
    Did they remove it? Why? Thought it was a good bit of banter.

Agree I thought was funny - for a nation that pride ourselves on "having the craic" we tend to get very defensive when someone tries to have bit with us

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeh, there's always the Joe Duffy brigade.

.ak wrote: »
    Yeh, there's always the Joe Duffy brigade.

I've already spent half an hour on air giving out about ABs vs Black Ferns. Honestly the level of ignorance among the general populace is just outrageous.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I've already spent half an hour on air giving out about ABs vs Black Ferns. Honestly the level of ignorance among the general populace is just outrageous.
    And don't get me started on the "ladies" rugby brigade.

Ladies don't play rugby. Women do :P ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

That D'Arcy fella is just bitter... BuWS3-zIIAA0yEA.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I tuned in from the 47min or so and it was edge of the seat stuff til the end of the game.

There was some nice rugby thrown in too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Fair play to them, they really are building on past success. Good ambassadors for the game and Ireland.

Beating any national NZ team is no mean feat. They should be feeling really good about it. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Sure the Irish women have the hoodoo over the Black Ferns now. 100% record.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

http://www.thescore.ie/analyis-ireland-new-zealand-attack-world-cup-1608198-Aug2014/

Above is analysis of NZ game by Murray Kinsella.
    Ireland play first game of the day on Saturday. Live on TG4 and SS3 With England Canada and Australia France on SS1

We should see good bit of rotation though you don't want to totally affect the momentum ahead of Semi final...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What are the chances of a repeat match with New Zealand in a semi-final? I'd rather not!

feargale wrote: »
    What are the chances of a repeat match with New Zealand in a semi-final? I'd rather not!
    No we'll be second or third seed and NZ can only be fourth so we cant play them in semis

10 changes from the NZ game. Understandable considering so few changes were made from the first to second games. Should still comfortably get the win required

Ireland v Kazakhstan (KO 12.00 Irish time):

15. Jackie Shiels (Richmond RFC/Exile)
    14. Vikki McGinn (Blackrock/Leinster)
    13. Lynne Cantwell (Richmond RFC/Exile) Capt
    12. Grace Davitt (Cooke/Ulster)
    11. Hannah Casey (Saracens/Exiles)
    10. Tania Rosser (Blackrock/Leinster)
    9. Larissa Muldoon (Bristol/Exile)
    1. Fiona Hayes (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    2. Gillian Bourke (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    3. Kerrie Ann Craddock (Saracens/Exiles)
    4. Laura Guest (Highfield/Munster)
    5. Orla Fitzsimons (St Mary’s College/Leinster)
    6. Sharon Lynch (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    7. Siobhan Fleming (Tralee/Munster)
    8. Paula Fitzpatrick (St Mary’s/Leinster)
    Replacements:
    16. Fiona Coghlan (UL Bohemians/Leinster)
    17. Ailis Egan (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    18. Sophie Spence (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    19. Claire Molloy (Bristol/Connacht)
    20. Nora Stapleton (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    21. Alison Miller (Portlaoise/Connacht)
    22. Ashleigh Baxter (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

10 changes from the NZ game. Understandable considering so few changes were made from the first to second games. Should still comfortably get the win required

Ireland v Kazakhstan (KO 12.00 Irish time):

15. Jackie Shiels (Richmond RFC/Exile)
    14. Vikki McGinn (Blackrock/Leinster)
    13. Lynne Cantwell (Richmond RFC/Exile) Capt
    12. Grace Davitt (Cooke/Ulster)
    11. Hannah Casey (Saracens/Exiles)
    10. Tania Rosser (Blackrock/Leinster)
    9. Larissa Muldoon (Bristol/Exile)
    1. Fiona Hayes (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    2. Gillian Bourke (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    3. Kerrie Ann Craddock (Saracens/Exiles)
    4. Laura Guest (Highfield/Munster)
    5. Orla Fitzsimons (St Mary’s College/Leinster)
    6. Sharon Lynch (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    7. Siobhan Fleming (Tralee/Munster)
    8. Paula Fitzpatrick (St Mary’s/Leinster)
    Replacements:
    16. Fiona Coghlan (UL Bohemians/Leinster)
    17. Ailis Egan (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    18. Sophie Spence (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    19. Claire Molloy (Bristol/Connacht)
    20. Nora Stapleton (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    21. Alison Miller (Portlaoise/Connacht)
    22. Ashleigh Baxter (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster).

Thanks, hope so! Who's the kicker in there?

Thanks, hope so! Who's the kicker in there?

That's a very good question!

I'd assume it will be Rosser - she has a good boot on her.

Fitzpatrick used to take the kicks when we played together in college (she was an out half before converting to hooker and then back row).

Sky sports showing this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Jackie Shields can kick as well I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

We're lucky to get Kazakhstan last to give us a breather into the knockout stages. A good time to clear up some of the issues the girls are carrying. Hopefully they'll still manage the BP

Advertisement