Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's World Cup 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

vienne86 wrote: »
    C'mon Australia!!!!

Tbh all of the potential teams offer threats. We have the beating of them on our day though - we have beaten England in the past 18 months sure!! Believe and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

C'mon Australia!!!!

Fra v. Aus - score? Time? Channel? Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

feargale wrote: »
    Fra v. Aus - score? Time? Channel? Thanks.

Sky sports. 7.30 pm. Kick off 7.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

feargale wrote: »
    " I couldn't make out a word of it." : I have the very same problem with the commentary on Spanish and Italian soccer channels. The damn fellows just won't speak English!
    If the vast majority of those channels audience only spoke English youd bet your ass itd be in English. AT leats S4c offer English commentary on the red button . It'd be good if TG4 could do similar.

I watched it on Sky Sports anyway so it was no skin off my nose.

I had to head out after the Ireland game anyway, are New Zealand out after the England result? EDIT, it appears so. Best chance of winning a world cup we'll get I'd say, be nice to take it.

No we haven't. Wales, Spain, Canada, England have hosted cups.
    You could host it in Limerick with games in Dooradoyle, Greenfields with finals in Thomond..

Why only Limerick? We're hardly a continent sized country .Try use something like that to spread the game as much as possible in different areas. You could have one round of pool games in Dublin, one in Belfast and one in Cork or Limerick. Then do Semis and Final in the Aviva maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Why only Limerick? We're hardly a continent sized country .Try use something like that to spread the game as much as possible in different areas. You could have one round of pool games in Dublin, one in Belfast and one in Cork or Limerick. Then do Semis and Final in the Aviva maybe?
    Why spread it around when you don't need to. These tournaments are nearly always played in 1 city. It keeps costs down as well as gets crowd figures higher than they would with individual games all over the country. Look at any of the previous women's world cups or under 20 men's world cup's(both have exact same format).

They use 2 grounds for group games and then same 2 grounds for playoffs with maybe 1 large ground used for finals.

Why spread it around when you don't need to. These tournaments are nearly always played in 1 city. It keeps costs down as well as gets crowd figures higher than they would with individual games all over the country. Look at any of the previous women's world cups or under 20 men's world cup's(both have exact same format).

They use 2 grounds for group games and then same 2 grounds for playoffs with maybe 1 large ground used for finals.

Spread it to try and draw more casual fans in to the game as well as people who might not be up for a 3 hour trip to watch games but would like to go.. It wouldn't be individual games all over the country you have a full day of pool games on in a city. Itd be like a roadshow type affair. 1st round of pool game in Limerick say on a Saturday . So 6 games there. Then on to Belfast or Dublin for the midweek round, then finish up in Belfast or Dublin on the Saturday with the 3rd round.

Spread it to try and draw more casual fans in to the game as well as people who might not be up for a 3 hour trip to watch games but would like to go.. It wouldn't be individual games all over the country you have a full day of pool games on in a city. Itd be like a roadshow type affair. 1st round of pool game in Limerick say on a Saturday . So 6 games there. Then on to Belfast or Dublin for the midweek round, then finish up in Belfast or Dublin on the Saturday with the 3rd round.
    We wouldn't have much choice. IRB do it this way to save costs. Teams can base themselves in the one place and don't need to change hotels etc once no matter what happens in terms of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I believe that spreading only dilutes. It's fine for mega events like the soccer world cup and Olympics maybe ... but not for a small event like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its very strange to suggest that not only should we get to host the event, but that also we should demand that the IRB change the format they've successfully used up until now just to suit us.

• Advertisement

France lead Australia at halftime
    If game stays like that we play England

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

sullivlo wrote: »
    Tbh all of the potential teams offer threats. We have the beating of them on our day though - we have beaten England in the past 18 months sure!! Believe and all that jazz.

You're right, of course, but I would still prefer to play Canada than England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

How long after the games have they been up on the TG4 website? missed the game and want to catch up.
    Can any ye watch the New Zealand & USA game on the TG4 website. they don't seem to work for me

You're right, of course, but I would still prefer to play Canada than England.

Well to win the WC we'd have to eventually beat England. May as well get them out of the way before the final ;):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Its very strange to suggest that not only should we get to host the event, but that also we should demand that the IRB change the format they've successfully used up until now just to suit us.

We're only thrashing out a few ideas. I don't see anyone demanding anything of the IRB.

And what is so 'very strange' in expressing an interest to host the tournament? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Lapin wrote: »
    And what is so 'very strange' in expressing an interest to host the tournament? :confused:

I think you are being purposely silly there, as I've little doubt that you knew I meant that it was strange to want to host it and change the seemingly successful format, not that wanting to host it was itself strange.
    Apologies if my phrasing was bad, but I doubt anyone was confused.

can anyone please tell me if the game is available for catch up on Sky Go? really want to see the game missed it due to work and one of the girls in the team is a family friend so want to catch up on the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Piliger wrote: »
    It's a massive mistake by Irish rugby. At a time when they should be maximising the audience and spreading the game, they are selling off too many games to minority interest groups and alienating the majority of the pubic.

If RTE got it they wouldn't be showing as many games as TG4. Same thing comes up on a weekly basis during the pro 12. Personally I don't have a problem with TG4 showing the games as they've always been good supporters of what some would call minority sports.

As for the interview with no sound at the end, I doubt the station 'silenced' it, just technical issues I'd say.

siobhan08 wrote: »
    can anyone please tell me if the game is available for catch up on Sky Go? really want to see the game missed it due to work and one of the girls in the team is a family friend so want to catch up on the game

It's not there now.....maybe a bit too soon...most recent Rugby is August 6.

Piliger wrote: »
    But RTE didn't buy the rights did they ? I thought TG4 bought the rights.... and like many I don't have Sky.

You should get onto the Equality Authority on behalf of the Skyless. And while you're at it, tell them that this centuries long discrimination against English speakers has to stop.

• Advertisement

It's not there now.....maybe a bit too soon...most recent Rugby is August 6.
    is it up on TG4? not on laptop so can't check... Ive tried the video of the other games on the TG4 website but they don't seem to be working

So by the looks of it we have England in the semi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If RTE got it they wouldn't be showing as many games as TG4. Same thing comes up on a weekly basis during the pro 12. Personally I don't have a problem with TG4 showing the games as they've always been good supporters of what some would call minority sports.

As for the interview with no sound at the end, I doubt the station 'silenced' it, just technical issues I'd say.

RTE would show a lot more if they got it.

siobhan08 wrote: »
    So by the looks of it we have England in the semi

Yes, that's it, and it won't be easy.

Optimism. I think on their day this group of girls can beat anyone. They have beaten this English side before and the coaching team will have an ace or two up their sleeves in terms of game analysis.

England are a good team with a few standout players. When those players are kept quiet, they offer less in attack. Ireland have come on since the last meeting of the sides where they lost 17-10. I have every faith that we will give them a good game and another bit of magic may see us win.

You can say that again

Fieldsman wrote: »
    And did they silence the interview with the Irish captain at the end. I'm one of a very big club who cant understand it I think

You apparently don't watch much or any of TG4's GAA coverage, because week after week as often as not they conduct English language interviews with players and mentors who have no Irish. So no, I would be 99% certain that they didn't silence the interview. I would think there was some technical problem or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would say the NZ team we beat is a lot stronger than that England team. Canada missed their two conversions against England today and scored a try in the second half that was unsighted by the ref.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I would say the NZ team we beat is a lot stronger than that England team. Canada missed their two conversions against England today and scored a try in the second half that was unsighted by the ref.

I must say that I think after beating NZ, anything is possible fo this team. They seem very focussed. Their bodies will be getting tired now, but so will the English bodies. I definitely won't be missing this one on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I must say that I think after beating NZ, anything is possible fo this team. They seem very focussed. Their bodies will be getting tired now, but so will the English bodies. I definitely won't be missing this one on TV.

Clearly to beat a big team like England, they will need to be near the level they were against NZ, but I would definitely think the NZ team Ireland beat are a considerably stronger team than England.....the English were very fortunate to draw against Canada yesterday.

Advertisement