Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's World Cup 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Piliger wrote: »
    It's a massive mistake by Irish rugby. At a time when they should be maximising the audience and spreading the game, they are selling off too many games to minority interest groups and alienating the majority of the pubic.

When RTEs offer is a tenner and a bag of chips and will only show the game internet only I think we should be grateful that tg4 are showing it. The semis will be shown on sky sports as well so you can get them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

When RTEs offer is a tenner and a bag of chips and will only show the game internet only I think we should be grateful that tg4 are showing it. The semis will be shown on sky sports as well so you can get them there.

But RTE didn't buy the rights did they ? I thought TG4 bought the rights.... and like many I don't have Sky.

They are not selling off too many games to minority groups. TG4s coverage of the rugby has been excellent and is spreading the game. If TG4 didn't show the amount of rugby they do there would be much less rugby on our screens

No. IRFU sold off the rights to TG4, who used their government subsidy to win them against RTE. There would be more and better rugby on our screens if the farce that is government subsides to these stations being used to bid against each other wasn't happening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

But RTE didn't buy the rights did they ? I thought TG4 bought the rights.... and like many I don't have Sky.

Rte made an offer which has been described to me by someone who would know as a tenner and a bag of chips and they would only show it online if they got the rights.

Rte made an offer which has been described to me by someone who would know as a tenner and a bag of chips and they would only show it online if they got the rights.

That is completely untrue. RTE made an offer than was pipped by less than 2% margin by TG4, using the cash they get for the Irish language services. The IRFU made the dumbest decision in recent years and are under major pressure to find another way of doing it next time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Has Ireland ever put in a bit to host this tournament?

We have the facilities and I reckon we'd make a great job of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

That is completely untrue. RTE made an offer than was pipped by less than 2% margin by TG4, using the cash they get for the Irish language services. The IRFU made the dumbest decision in recent years and are under major pressure to find another way of doing it next time.

Would RTE not have been using cash received from the state also in their proposed bid?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Lapin wrote: »
    Has Ireland ever put in a bit to host this tournament?

We have the facilities and I reckon we'd make a great job of it.
    No we haven't. Wales, Spain, Canada, England have hosted cups.
    You could host it in Limerick with games in Dooradoyle, Greenfields with finals in Thomond..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,138 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Nasty leg break there for the USA 8 I think.

Clear try there not given to the USA, is there no TMO in this?

• Advertisement

Clear try there not given to the USA, is there no TMO in this?

Seems not :( Such bad refereeing again. The female officiating is chronic, why are there no men refereeing ? We have women coming into men's rugby as officials.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No we haven't. Wales, Spain, Canada, England have hosted cups.
    You could host it in Limerick with games in Dooradoyle, Greenfields with finals in Thomond..

I was going to suggest Galway, with games in The Sportsground, Terryland and the final in Pearse Staduim. ;)

Cork and Belfast also have the capacity to stage the entire tournament and there are enough venues in Dublin 4 alone to host it.

But while I like the idea of keeping it tight with all the games being staged in one or two locations as in France this year and England in 2010, I think a case could be made for spreading the games around a small country like ours.

Thomond Park would be ideal for the final though.

All USA in the past 15mins, should have gotten something for their pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

sullivlo wrote: »
    Jesus Canada are giving England a good run. This could be another major upset.

I hope it's not heresy or apostasy to mention the men's game here, but I can't understand why the latter's world cup finals have never gone to North America, Canada or USA or both sharing.

feargale wrote: »
    I hope it's not heresy or apostasy to mention the men's game here, but I can't understand why the latter's world cup finals have never gone to North America, Canada or USA or both sharing.

I think they would probably want to wait until the host could be confident of a chance at the knock out stages. You would need that to generate the interest and subsequent money. I'd say they will get one in the next 4 cycles.

Seems not :( Such bad refereeing again. The female officiating is chronic, why are there no men refereeing ? We have women coming into men's rugby as officials.
    You want top female officials getting games at top of their game. Some of the officiating isn't great but what would you do.
    Lapin wrote: »
    I was going to suggest Galway, with games in The Sportsground, Terryland and the final in Pearse Staduim. ;)

Cork and Belfast also have the capacity to stage the entire tournament and there are enough venues in Dublin 4 alone to host it.

But while I like the idea of keeping it tight with all the games being staged in one or two locations as in France this year and England in 2010, I think a case could be made for spreading the games around a small country like ours.

Thomond Park would be ideal for the final though.
    Any of the cities would be great. Cork would be slightly harder with Musgrave, CIT, Temple Hill but still possible
    Will go to US soon enough IMO. 2027 possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

It would suit Belfast or Cork better than Dublin, the locals would appreciate it more.

Seaview, Windsor Park, Casement & Ravenhill (k***span) might make Belfast the better choice (in my unbiased opinion :D)

Finally a card for NZ, long time coming. USA has to score from this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's only been 7 RWC's so far so it's not that surprising.

The 2019 RWC is in Japan and by then hopefully they'll have a Super rugby team as well as their pro league.

You want top female officials getting games at top of their game. Some of the officiating isn't great but what would you do.

Stop punishing the players by using sub standard officials just for sexist reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Are NZ effectively knocked out after the draw in the England v Canada game?

nordydan wrote: »
    It would suit Belfast or Cork better than Dublin, the locals would appreciate it more.

Seaview, Windsor Park, Casement & Ravenhill (k***span) might make Belfast the better choice (in my unbiased opinion :D)
    You wouldn't need 4 grounds to host games and you wouldn't need a ground like Casement Park. You could use Ravenhill plus A.N Other club rugby ground in Belfast
    Stop punishing the players by using sub standard officials just for sexist reasons.
    It isn't sexism or anything. There should be female referees involved if deemed to be international standard. Is their male referees who are better who could ref games? Yes. But top female officials should referee the top women's game

Eod100 wrote: »
    Are NZ effectively knocked out after the draw in the England v Canada game?
    They cant win the Cup but still have 5th-8th playoffs to play

Biggest difference between these two teams is handling skills, NZ just lightyears ahead of the US

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

They cant win the Cup but still have 5th-8th playoffs to play

Nice one! Think my post was badly phrased, meant that they couldn't progress to semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

RTE News says Irl v. Fra or Aus in semi-final. Surely that's wrong - not settled yet. Isn't there still a chance of Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

You wouldn't need 4 grounds to host games and you wouldn't need a ground like Casement Park. You could use Ravenhill plus A.N Other club rugby ground in Belfast

The A.N. Other rugby ground could be the issue as after Ravenhill the standard drops to park level. Seaview in North Belfast hosts about 4,000 and has an artificial pitch so would be an ideal 2nd venue

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

RTE News says Irl v. Fra or Aus in semi-final. Surely that's wrong - not settled yet. Isn't there still a chance of Canada?

It depends on the outcome in France Aus. I have it outlined on the previous page (on phone so can't link)

Its not settled yet. We will be first or second seeds. We play England if France win and if Australia win without a bp we play Canada
    nordydan wrote: »
    The A.N. Other rugby ground could be the issue as after Ravenhill the standard drops to park level. Seaview in North Belfast hosts about 4,000 and has an artificial pitch so would be an ideal 2nd venue
    It wouldn't really. Ravenhill would host most games and there is club grounds in Belfast of similar standard to Dooradoyle in Limerick which could host group games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Its not settled yet. We will be first or second seeds. We play England if France win and if Australia win without a bp we play Canada

C'mon Australia!!!!

Advertisement