Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's World Cup 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Great game there, well done Canada!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Yeah that's my feeling too. I wonder if we'll ever see a female ref doing men's senior matches? No reason why not.

Yes, I meant 'regardless of gender of ref or players'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

siobhan08 wrote: »
    Well thats it then ii reckon. I was at the NZ match and got chatting to an english guy who was involved with the u20s set up over there. he said it it would be an England v France Final... Looks like he will be right cause I don't see Canada beating France

refer to my pervious post..
    apologies Canada :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Yeah that's my feeling too. I wonder if we'll ever see a female ref doing men's senior matches? No reason why not.

I think it would be good progress for some female refs to ref AIL games and take it from there.

Delighted Canada are through.

Bring on France :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Canada's second try was great looking at it again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Harvey is some player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Great game, England will reckon they can do a number on that the Canadians. Skilful team though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Canada just about deserved that. Great game, really entertaining. Can't remember last time I've enjoyed a match that much without an Irish involvement.

vienne86 wrote: »
    So we will be playing France for third place. That won't be easy.
    yes especially with the face that France are going to want to come away with something when they were the hosts

England vs Canada rematch :)

I just copped on the the face that both Men's and Women's teams have now lost centre's who have been great servant to the game in BOD and Cantwell :(

yes especially with the face that France are going to want to come away with something when they were the hosts

England vs Canada rematch :)

I just copped on the the face that both Men's and Women's teams have now lost centre's who have been great servant to the game in BOD and Cantwell :(

Very hard to see past an English win here.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Very hard to see past an English win here.

yeah me neither.... be better for ireland to lose out to the eventual winners as well

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Damn, thought this was on tomorrow. Missed Magalie again

Well you missed something special. Fabulous player and that try in the corner - brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

As we all know after Cruden-gate, the French kicker was entitled to another shot at goal there. Both ref and kicker didn't seem to cop on. Given France only lost by 2 points, it could have made a difference. From reading this thread, but not having watched much of the action at all, it seems as if a few fairly sizeable reffing bloopers are making their way thru. Hopefully the remaining matches won't come down to controversial decisions.

Certified girl crushes on her and Harvey.

I think she'll be on for the final too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Cracking game that between France and Canada. The French juggernaut pack vs the fleet-footed Canadian backs. As good a game of rugby as I have watched with as good a try by Harvey as you could ever see.
    Ireland up against it with that French pack, don't see a big threat from their backs though so if we can somehow match them up front we will have a good chance.
    England will win the final fairly comfortably I think, 7+. They should dominate up front and have far superior backs than what the French had tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

As far as I know Lynne Cantwell hasn't made an announcement about retiring. So lets hold off on writing her obituary just yet. Fiona Steed said following the 2fm commentary earlier that nothing had been confirmed as well.
    Anyway poor performance from the girls today but they still have 3rd place to play for. Now is time for people to stick with them and not jump ship because of one sub par performance.

timbertime wrote: »
    As far as I know Lynne Cantwell hasn't made an announcement about retiring. So lets hold off on writing her obituary just yet. Fiona Steed said following the 2fm commentary earlier that nothing had been confirmed as well.
    Anyway poor performance from the girls today but they still have 3rd place to play for. Now is time for people to stick with them and not jump ship because of one sub par performance.

IIRC she announced after the 6n that this would be her last year playing international rugby.

But yes. Hopefully the people won't jump off the bandwagon and women's rugby can continue to grow in Ireland.

timbertime wrote: »

IIRC she announced after the 6n that this would be her last year playing international rugby.

But yes. Hopefully the people won't jump off the bandwagon and women's rugby can continue to grow in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Ireland lacked commitment & fight yesterday, they lacked balls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

Just to beat New Zealand alone was a monumental achievement. Is there a homecoming ceremony planned or does anyone know if the team are coming back through Dublin airport that one could drop by and say well done?

philstar wrote: »

Not enough passion

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

sullivlo wrote: »
    Certified girl crushes on her and Harvey.

I think she'll be on for the final too.

are they not the same person?

she is some player

are they not the same person?

she is some player
    Nope. Meghan is the pundit, an ex Canadian international. Harvey is the current winger and place kicker.

philstar wrote: »
    Not enough passion

I think they were just outclassed by a better team. They were certainly committed and passionate. IMO.

I think they were just outclassed by a better team. They were certainly committed and passionate. IMO.

It was probably tough to pick up on but I was being sarcastic with the passion comment.

Commitment, fight and passion are utterly meaningless words to describe a poor performance. Irish men are constantly described that way when they lose and it has winded me up over the years.

Indeed.

To allow 40 unanswered points illustrates a vast difference in class. They tried their best but alas, came up well short.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Indeed.

To allow 40 unanswered points illustrates a vast difference in class. They tried their best but alas, came up well short.
    Yep. And combined with some poor individual performances, it just wasn't our day.

Don't want to single any one player out but there were a couple of howlers - Miller was like a turnstile in the first half and England exploited her wing a few times. Briggs had a couple of uncharacteristic bad misses from the boot. Players were falling off tackles, and the scrum just couldn't seem to click.

Yep. And combined with some poor individual performances, it just wasn't our day.

Don't want to single any one player out but there were a couple of howlers - Miller was like a turnstile in the first half and England exploited her wing a few times. Briggs had a couple of uncharacteristic bad misses from the boot. Players were falling off tackles, and the scrum just couldn't seem to click.

True.
    Probably just as well they crumbled at the semi final stage, rather than put in a real howler in the final.

Must also be remembered these are only amateur players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Wasn't there a female ref for the U20s WC a couple of years ago?

Ireland started off really well, tackled like maniacs, resourced those rucks (nod to Joe S!) and took their chances. Fair play to England, they upped their game, changed their tactics and beat us fair and square on the day. Alfonphi is a class above the rest.

One mistake I think Tania Rosser made was not protecting the back of our scrum when it was our put in. Their no.6 was on top of Fiona all day as soon as she picked up the ball. Gave us no chance on the scrums that we did win.

Hey ho. Onwards and upwards ladies, you did yourselves and us proud!

Advertisement