Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's World Cup 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

siobhan08 wrote: »
    would i be right in say the 3rd place get a medal?
    I nearly sure there was on in given in Brazil

Yes, the Netherlands won a bronze medal at the World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Incredibly blatant midfield obstruction there. Not that it matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

High tackles are allowed in this game, yeah? That's twice we've gotten away with it and I'm only catching the second half...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, the Netherlands won a bronze medal at the World Cup
    anybody know if its the same in this tournament?

siobhan08 wrote: »
    anybody know if its the same in this tournament?

Yes, it would appear....the men's RWC has one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah crap. Cantwell gone now. She's pure class. Is she retiring after this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

molloyjh wrote: »

I hope she is alrite. That was a very heavy hit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Just tuned in . . .any sexy women to look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fryup wrote: »
    Just tuned in . . .any sexy women to look at?

Is that you Niamh?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Yeah she is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I hate when a team has a great shock result, and then falls flat on its face :(

Mauling....gutted.

Very disappointing stuff from Ireland : they've outscored us 40-0 in the last 50 minutes....as much to do with us playing really badly as them playing well (they're certainly not going to win the final by that margin, no matter who they play)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Rightwing wrote: »
    I hate when a team has a great shock result, and then falls flat on its face :(

Typical with Irish teams though, we get too self-satisfied after one good result

Not sure if this result is down to us just being happy to make the semifinals or England being light years ahead of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pretty impressive by England all the same.

Mauling....gutted.

As usual we choke in the knockout stages of the RWC.....following in the footsteps of our useless men's teams over the years :mad:

donfers wrote: »
    Typical with Irish teams though, we get too self-satisfied after one good result

Not sure if this result is down to us just being happy to make the semifinals or England being light years ahead of us

I agree with that.

Usually happens though with underdogs, claim a scalp and then are rubbish.

As usual we choke in the knockout stages of the RWC.....following in the footsteps of our useless men's teams over the years :mad:

You don't usually follow rugby do you?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Pretty impressive by England all the same.

Easy to do against a team of chokers of course, but they've played well within themselves.

Easy to do against a team of chokers of course, but they've played well within themselves.

See my previous post.

• Advertisement

Ah here that's way too harsh, on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Dammit. Well and truly beaten. OK, go for the bronze medals now.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You don't usually follow rugby do you?

I certainly do. I remember us going into the RWC quarter final in 2011 in great form and not even competing against the Welsh (we probably should have lost that one by 25 points). And then we had to read a load of rubbish about how we came up against a "wonderful" Welsh side, not that we absolutely bottled it on the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Harsh thing to say, if anything that men's team has done more than any other to remove the dreaded "ah sure we'll give it a lash/happy to be here" mentality that has been the scourge of Irish sports for ages

I certainly do. I remember us going into the RWC quarter final in 2011 in great form and not even competing against the Welsh (we probably should have lost that one by 25 points). And then we had to read a load of rubbish about how we came up against a "wonderful" Welsh side, not that we absolutely bottled it on the day.

The Irish team have improved massively in fairness, led my Munster's exploits and then Leinsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Unlucky better team on the day won top tier teams need to be close to 100% to win in the knock outs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mod: Strazdas do not post in this thread again

Rightwing wrote: »
    The Irish team have improved massively in fairness, led my Munster's exploits and then Leinsters.

I would agree on that and Joe Schmidt has done a fantastic job. Our record is woeful in the RWC though.....good in the group stages, and then we always seem to be well below par once we get to the knockout rounds (hopefull that changes next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Very disappointing stuff from Ireland : they've outscored us 40-0 in the last 50 minutes....as much to do with us playing really badly as them playing well (they're certainly not going to win the final by that margin, no matter who they play)

I don't really get the impression your ability to break down the game really extends much further than using words like "well" and "badly" to be honest! :pac:

A real shame the game went the way it did. The English pack are just so quick to the ball and the girls just couldn't make any impact on the ground. The backs really can't do anything without that, and they weren't really set up to mitigate that sort of problem either, it made such a huge difference and we had no answer for it. Hopefully they can find an answer before the 6 Nations and we can get some revenge against these English girls next Spring.

Fair play to England, they could really go on and win. Thanks to our girls for being so brilliant throughout the tournament and making us proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

I would agree on that and Joe Schmidt has done a fantastic job. Our record is woeful in the RWC though.....good in the group stages, and then we always seem to be well below par once we get to the knockout rounds (hopefull that changes next year)

I wouldn't say we're good in the group stages. Remember 2007 :o

Advertisement