Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's World Cup 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Very honest stuff from coach and captain on RTE this morning - no complaining, just saying they didn't do the business and let England play the way they wanted. Playing two matches a week must be very tough - they must be knackered, physically and mentally. Hope they can get themselves well fired up for the match against France.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

vienne86 wrote: »
    Very honest stuff from coach and captain on RTE this morning - no complaining, just saying they didn't do the business and let England play the way they wanted. Playing two matches a week must be very tough - they must be knackered, physically and mentally. Hope they can get themselves well fired up for the match against France.

Very few of them played for much time v Kazakhstan. England would have had the far tougher last match.
    Hope they put up a better showing against France. They will have it all to do up against that pack. England showed up a good few weaknesses in the Irish side also that will need to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

robbiezero wrote: »
    Very few of them played for much time v Kazakhstan. England would have had the far tougher last match.
    Hope they put up a better showing against France. They will have it all to do up against that pack. England showed up a good few weaknesses in the Irish side also that will need to be addressed.

Both England and France would be far better resourced and have a much bigger pool to chose from than the irish ladies would, much like the men's equivalent, we just ran out of steam and couldn't cope with the English for the full 80, I fear the same against France but any team in any world cup competition that gets to a semi final deserves our respect and praise, well done ladies!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

sullivlo wrote: »
    Nope. Meghan is the pundit, an ex Canadian international. Harvey is the current winger and place kicker.

They are the same person: Magali Harvey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Rightwing wrote: »
    True.
    Probably just as well they crumbled at the semi final stage, rather than put in a real howler in the final.

Must also be remembered these are only amateur players.

Just as well they crumbled? Come off it. Had they beaten England I'd have fancied them again France or Canada

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Just as well they crumbled? Come off it. Had they beaten England I'd have fancied them again France or Canada

Well had they beaten Eng, it would have shown they could handle the occasion.

The Canadians on the other hand showed that they can handle an occasion so I wouldn't be too quick to write them off v Eng.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Nope. Meghan is the pundit, an ex Canadian international. Harvey is the current winger and place kicker.

I know. It just looked like you were talking about Magali and Harvey as two different people

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Canada looked very good yesterday. I expect it will be close in the final.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I know. It just looked like you were talking about Magali and Harvey as two different people
    I was talking of two different people.

Magalie Harvey (player)

Meghan Mutrie (pundit)

Sorry for confusion :o

Saw the try just there

Be still my beating heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Saw the try just there

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

phog wrote: »
    Overall it's been a good WC for Ireland and the girls should be proud of their performances.

Not over yet. There's a big difference between 3rd and 4th place, and while morale may be low now the team should remember that French morale is probably lower. Ireland went to France with little to lose while the French expected to win. I don't doubt that the French are probably better than the Irish, but traditional heavyweights who are beaten semifinalists have a habit in their arrogance, ( especially the French, ) of turning up their noses at the third place match and not giving it their all. This has happened more than once in the FIFA World Cup, for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Saw the try just there

and her conversion afterwards from the sideline was incredible

she got it all speed, kicking, agility and she's gorgeous

if she was a bloke she'd be lauded throughout the rugby world ala Dan Carter

feargale wrote: »
    Not over yet. There's a big difference between 3rd and 4th place

As a matter of interest why? It is pretty meaningless in the soccer world cup.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There are medals to be won in the RWC, different from the soccer

Stheno wrote: »

Ah I see. Fair enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

And also, the world rankings are based on WC finishing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

There's medals in the soccer too.

Generally most teams in third place play offs have been there or higher before but this is still breaking new ground for the Women's team and any Irish senior team

philstar wrote: »
    and her conversion afterwards from the sideline was incredible

she got it all speed, kicking, agility and she's gorgeous

if she was a bloke she'd be lauded throughout the rugby world ala Dan Carter

They should probably start advertising that calendar again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Not to a minnow nation it's not. If, say, Costa Rica had qualified for the FIFA third place match, do you seriously believe they wouldn't have gone for it? Third best in the world is no small potatoes.

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    Not to a minnow nation it's not. If, say, Costa Rica had qualified for the FIFA third place match, do you seriously believe they wouldn't have gone for it? Third best in the world is no small potatoes.

We are hardly a minnow nation or in any way comparable to Costa Rica. We are Grand Slam champions from 2 years ago and would have been one of the at least top 6 sides at this world cup, but I take the point we are playing for our highest ever placing so it is worth while. If it was England or NZ, playing for 3rd place would be largely worthless.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Good luck to the ladies this afternoon :D

On TG4 for anyone interested, not sure it's on sky sports.

Big attendance in the stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

A little frustrating so far, a bit shakey in the set piece and they're overcommitting to the breakdown in possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Beaut from Davitt. Hopefully they can build on that in the 2nd half. Starting to look a bit more comfortable in possession.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Going in ahead at ht is something to be happy about.

Lovely try to end the half

• Registered Users Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭phog

Our scrum is under pressure and lineout a tad shaky but other than that very happy with Ireland's performance.

Very scrappy second half

Very crappy second half

FYP :p

They look tired.

• Advertisement

FYP :p

They look tired.

Lol I did get to see my cousin on the telly in the audience :D

Two points in it for France :(

The french number 3 and 5 are tanks!

Advertisement