Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel - Palestine Conflict. **Mod note in OP - updated 1st August**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definitions_of_terrorism

A quote from the above link.."terrorism is a pejorative term. It is a word with intrinsically negative connotations that is generally applied to one's enemies and opponents, or to those with whom one disagrees and would otherwise prefer to ignore."

The Collins concise English dictionary defines Terrorism as .."the systematic use of violence and intimidation to achieve some goal". By that definition both sides can be labelled terrorists and so concentrating on such meaningless terminology is disingenuous. The real question is, who has the power to effect a peaceful settlement and avoid the carnage? and the answer, in my opinion, is unquestionably Israel. Defend your position by all means but have the moral courage and honesty to acknowledge that the slaughtered Palestinians had as much right as you to a normal life or otherwise take your brave words to the battlefield and fight for your precious beliefs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

mad muffin wrote: »
    If you guys are so concerned. I suggest you hire a boat or a plane and head over to Gaza, instead of banging away at your keyboards.

My pints are not one or lost in a one sided argument.

Israel us wrong and the Palestinians are right?

The Middle East is not as black and white as that.
    At least you had the sense to call these "pints" rather than "points". How apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If you guys are so concerned. I suggest you hire a boat or a plane and head over to Gaza, instead of banging away at your keyboards.

I rather not be murdered by the IDF.... seeing as they (the IDF) kill people in international waters traveling via boat, and the IDF destroyed the Gaza airport, that would be impossible.

You seem to be openly justifying the murder of civilians. This will result in people asking questions.

No one is claiming its black and white, but you seem to only concentrate on how the Palestinians are at fault for Zionist aggression, effectively victim blaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Pints is right, I'd say - you sound drunk, and you're completely losing the plot.

You're not Ian O'Doherty, by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

That's nice. so are you going to answer any of the number of questions that have been put to you by various posters ?..I can quote some of the again for you if you like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'm drunk because of a typo and losing the plot because of unpopular opinion in this thread?

I see. I tell you what I'm not losing.

I'm not losing any sleep over your righteous indignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lads, its pointless engaging Muffs.

He derailed the thread yesterday to the point of no return and is doing the same here.

Im of the firm opinion he doesnt actually care about the thread content, the context or anything to do with the conflict. And is just putting forward a rival argument (and in most of the case no argument at all just one liners designed to piss off posters)

Based on that, He is not worth responding to.

His attempts to get the thread closed are fairly blatantly obvious and are poorly disguised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭KahBoom

^^ There are a few posters like that in these Israel/Palestine threads, and the problem is, if you don't respond to them - despite how disingenuous they are - then they control the narrative of the debate, which is the real aim.

They usually operate just below the level where mod action can come into play, so often there is little alternative but to engage them (to prevent controlling of narrative), which unfortunately has to result in the usual tedious circular bullshít every time (that's just unavoidable).

Interview from the son of one of founding members of Hamas.
    “Hamas is not seeking coexistence and compromise. Hamas is seeking conquest and taking over. And by the way, the destruction of the State of Israel is not Hamas’s final destination. Hamas final destination is building the Islamic caliphate, which means an Islamic state under rubble of every other civilization.” 

I don't support Palestinian civilians getting blown apart but as long as these lunatics are controlling Gaza its not going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I'd rather not, last time we sent over an aid ship the Israelis captured it and kidnapped the people on board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭KahBoom

cisk wrote: »

I don't support Palestinian civilians getting blown apart but as long as these lunatics are controlling Gaza its not going to change.
    That guy is a well known spy and shill:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosab_Hassan_Yousef#Espionage_career

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

RustyNut wrote: »
    Can you just define your idea of a terrorist please?

Obviously THIS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

cisk wrote: »

It was changing, Hamas and Fatah had formed a unity government just before this offensive from Israel began.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

P_1 wrote: »
    To give a comparative example, you have Catholic and Protestant branches of Christianity in a similar manner to having Shia and Sunni branches of Islam.

So are ISIS Shia and Hamas Suni ?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

KahBoom wrote: »

LOL. So the opinion and actions of a man who was born and raised a Palestinian militant but changed his views for the sake of his own people are dismissed because it doesn't suit your populist internet argument? The defenders of Hamas will stoop to the lowest levels possible to defend the indefensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

greenflash wrote: »
    The defenders of Hamas will stoop to the lowest levels possible to defend the indefensible.

That's an ironic statement coming from a supporter of Israel.

And for what it's worth, nobody here supports Hamas. They support the people of Palestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Phew! Great. You mean they didn't actually blow up that block of apartments! That's fantastic. I was thinking about all them people losing their homes.

No, wait, you mean they did blow it to rubble, just the warning time was actually 3 minutes?? Damn, that's ****ty behaviour for an Army. Was it a Military block of flats? An apartment block of mass destruction? Or was it a tunnel? One of them sky-tunnels?
    I mean nothing other than the video was edited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

LOL. So the opinion and actions of a man who was born and raised a Palestinian militant but changed his views for the sake of his own people are dismissed because it doesn't suit your populist internet argument? The defenders of Hamas will stoop to the lowest levels possible to defend the indefensible.

He could have changed his mind for any reason. Like money. Or a chance to get to the US.

In any case the aims of Hamas don't matter. If you punish a whole people for what they would do - or some of them would do - were they in power you would carte blanch to remove the liberty from, and kill or ethnically cleanse large groups of populations. Christian fundies not excepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Geomy wrote: »
    So are ISIS Shia and Hamas Suni ?

The vast majority of Muslim Palestinians, if not all, are Sunni, including Hamas. However, about 7% of Palestinians are Christian.

Most of the violence of ISIS is perpetrated against Shia. ISIS are looking for a Sunni Caliphate void of Shia Muslims.

The man hasn't been in the Palestinian territories for years, so I would question whether anything he has to say, has any validity anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

wes wrote: »
    Terrorists are non-state actors. You point out Hamas was elected, and I would also like to further point out they are a part of a unity government as well. So they are not terrorists.

When they were elected, they removed call for the destruction of Israel from the election manifesto:

Hamas drops call for destruction of Israel from manifesto

That above fact has been mentioned by me several times in these recent threads, and I think even in reply to you as well. Why do you ignore this fact? Are you trying to justify the murder of civilians?

Also, again the same rational can be applied in regards to Israel, seeing as every single government expanded settlements (settler colonialism is a genocidal in nature, just look at what happened to the Native Americans), and we see elected Israeli politicians calling for genocide openly during the current Gaza assault.
    To be fair the following lines are still in it.
    "Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it″

"The Day of Judgment will not come until Muslims fight the Jews, when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say, 'O Muslims, O Abdullah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him.'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Im sick to my stomach reading the Israeli sympathisers posts on here, nobody with any decency can defend what there doing in Gaza. Even before Hamas was created they were killing women and children and when the PLO signed the Oslo Accord and said they would recognise Israel as a jewish state the Israeli's continued to build illegal settlements. Its the Israelis who are breaking all these deals and people come on here with the cheek to say its all Hamas's fault when in fact Israel as a state was founded on Zionist and Jewish terrorism (educate yourselfs on the Stern gang and the Irgun).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

He was an informer for the Israelis who betrayed his own people. Irish history is littered with similar figures, very few of whom are credible or in any way laudable.

h2005 wrote: »
    To be fair the following lines are still in it.
    "Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it″

"The Day of Judgment will not come until Muslims fight the Jews, when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say, 'O Muslims, O Abdullah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him.'

It wasn't in the election manifesto that they were elected under. Remember the point I was replying to was that Palestinians voted for the destruction of Israel, which was explicitly dropped by Hamas to get themselves elected.

I agree that Hamas charter is loathsome, but you will hear similar things from the other side as well, especially during the most recent conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

This is an interesting way to look at what Israel have done over the years.
    http://www.wsm.ie/sites/default/files/ireland%20palestine.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

KahBoom wrote: »

Oh. So the son of Hamas's founder who saw his father for the evil person he was. Decided to do something about it is a spy and a shill?

I like how you guys like to bring up Israelis who are opposed to what Israel is doing. But when someone brings up the same for Hamas, it's to be disregarded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvyBx8JB0K4

Since it is apparent that there are Israeli citizens who are willing to protest against the actions of their government I would like to pose a question. If you were an Israeli citizen of Jewish descent would you align yourself with these people and would you be prepared to suffer the possible consequences of your actions e.g. job prospects etc.? Alternatively would you as an avid nationalist and supporter of the policies of your government be prepared to join the IDF and engage in ground fighting?

• Advertisement

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvyBx8JB0K4

Since it is apparent that there are Israeli citizens who are willing to protest against the actions of their government I would like to pose a question. If you were an Israeli citizen of Jewish descent would you align yourself with these people and would you be prepared to suffer the possible consequences of your actions e.g. job prospects etc.? Alternatively would you as an avid nationalist and supporter of the policies of your government be prepared to join the IDF and engage in ground fighting?
    Without growing up there its hard to know. I'd probably have got out of there as quickly as I could.

Advertisement