Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel - Palestine Conflict. **Mod note in OP - updated 1st August**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

mad muffin wrote: »
    But I sure as he'll don't have to worry about any Zionist terror group blowing me up in a bus, train, plane, and so on.

Unless your a Palestinian kid playing football on beach..... Not that you care about Palestinians lives or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

There's no excuse for hitting a UN school with a UN flag, twice I add !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

The Hamas human shield myth is getting out of control. The UN use schools as shelters, Israel says Hamas have weapons there and subsequently target the schools and the excuse is "Hamas used them as human sheilds" and put the innocent deaths down as casulties of war. F*cking shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭KahBoom

I don't know.

But I sure as he'll don't have to worry about any Zionist terror group blowing me up in a bus, train, plane, and so on.
    Yea, instead just get blown up in your house, or in the school you're asleep/taking-shelter in - along with your kids, like earlier today...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I don't know.

You my friend disgust me! Have you no humanity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

user2011 wrote: »
    What reason did he give them to ask for his passport/ID? Wearing a Palestine flag on the scarf? Palestine flag on his cap? Or saying the words of support for Palestine near Israeli kids?

True democracy at play :rolleyes:

To be fair iv seen far more brutal arrests outside nightclubs in town, and I'd go out on a limb and say in a country that is currently at war it's kinda common for law enforcement to want to know exactly who is around them, ie ask for I.D. To blankly refuse to show I.D to any police force anywhere in the world when your holding it in your hand is only ever gonna end one way.

The vast majority of Muslim Palestinians, if not all, are Sunni, including Hamas. However, about 7% of Palestinians are Christian.

Most of the violence of ISIS is perpetrated against Shia. ISIS are looking for a Sunni Caliphate void of Shia Muslims.

That's quite scary isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I don't know.

A UN school, hospital for the dissabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭KahBoom

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Sickening, know wonder the Americans are so hated in the middle east, there silence on this massacre will end up with more dead Americans unfortunately. How stupid can they be to not see there support of this terrorist state is costing them lives. Even the Egyptians can open up there borders to help them out but the coward General Cici is in the pockets of the zionists!

The Saudis could stop this at the drop of a hat if they cut there oil supply off to the yanks and Israelis.
    Yep, support of this is part of what led to the September 11th attacks - Bin Laden was directly influenced by Israel's actions, and US support of that:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motivations_of_the_September_11_attacks#Support_of_Israel_by_United_States

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

In terms of the Americans stepping in, seems like the majority of the population blame Hamas for this: http://www.statista.com/chart/2511/majority-of-americans-blame-hamas-for-current-violence/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

That's his opinion. We all have opinions.

That's the beauty of living in a democracy. We can freely express our opinions.
    but its not his opinion, its fact, and as he faught himself, he definitely knows whats going on

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

The Hamas human shield myth is getting out of control. The UN use schools as shelters, Israel says Hamas have weapons there and subsequently target the schools and the excuse is "Hamas used them as human sheilds" and put the innocent deaths down as casulties of war. F*cking shocking.

The UN admitted to finding a cache of rockets in one of its own schools a few days ago. Isreal have stated countless times that they will blow the crap out of abywhere thought to be storing weapons, no ifs, ands, or buts. Yet somehow it was allowed happen that rockets were found in a UN-run school? That is genuinely ****ing shocking

KahBoom wrote: »
    Yep, support of this is part of what led to the September 11th attacks - Bin Laden was directly influenced by Israel's actions, and US support of that:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motivations_of_the_September_11_attacks#Support_of_Israel_by_United_States

Go onto Youtube and type in "Michael Schuer dump the Israelis" and listen to what he says in congress. He is spot on, well worth a listen if you have a spare 5 minutes.

Absolutely shocking, the day's of the emperor's new clothes are upon us.

Most people are stocked with what's going on, but the people we think can do something about it don't seem to be helping out. .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Sickening, know wonder the Americans are so hated in the middle east, there silence on this massacre will end up with more dead Americans unfortunately. How stupid can they be to not see there support of this terrorist state is costing them lives. Even the Egyptians can open up there borders to help them out but the coward General Cici is in the pockets of the zionists!

I'm not 100% sure whether AIPAC's influence stems from money or public support. If it stems from public support, then the tide may slowly be turning:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/493377258506420224

The ADL are simply batsh!t insane. They most recently used a map of pro-Palestinian protests in the US as evidence of growing Anti-Semitism.

https://twitter.com/ADL_National/status/492720519284666369

They're an absolutely vile organization hellbent on shutting down all aspects of free speech with regard to Israel or Jews. Piss these people off and one is f*cked - I believe they were responsible for bringing down an almighty sh!tstorm against Tommy Tiernan over a racist joke a few years back. While I agree the joke was in poor taste, I can pretty much guarantee that it could have been directed against any other ethnic group in the world and it wouldn't have caused the level of fallout that it did.
    The Saudis could stop this at the drop of a hat if they cut there oil supply off to the yanks and Israelis.

They'd have to be willing to sacrifice a whole pile of revenue on principle. Sadly, very few actors in the world today have such strong ideological conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

And I quote
    yeah, a genuine and a good reason not to except it, however in 1967 israel decided they wanted more so they took it, and blackmailed america into helping them and supporting them

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

JC01 wrote: »
    The UN admitted to finding a cache of rockets in one of its own schools a few days ago.

From an empty school, and they then removed the rockets.
    Isreal have stated countless times that they will blow the crap out of abywhere thought to be storing weapons, no ifs, ands, or buts. Yet somehow it was allowed happen that rockets were found in a UN-run school? That is genuinely ****ing shocking

UNRWA check each of there facilities to make sure no such rockets are present, and if found remove them. So any UNRWA facility has no weapons stored there. The IDF know this, but yet choose to deliberately target and murder civilians, despite the fact that UNRWA has when they have found rockets stored in any of the facilities removed them.

What we are seeing is blatant murder of civilians on the IDFs part, and yes who stored rockets in UN schools are also war criminals, but there is no evidence that it was Hamas did so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Many police apologists will refuse to even acknowledge this as a legitimate question, and this is not unique to the Israel/Palestine conflict. They seem to believe that all instructions / requests by members of the police are automatically legitimate and that any refusal to comply is automatically illegitimate. Sickening attitude if you ask me. Authority should always be questioned.

I love watching PINAC (photography is not a crime) videos. A group will video record buildings from the public sidewalk and see if the cops get called. They then see if the cops will uphold the law or break the law by requiring them to show ID just for videoing a building from a side walk (all under the guise of stopping terrorism).

You'd be surprised at how many times the law gets broken, again in a democracy :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

The UN admitted to finding a cache of rockets in one of its own schools a few days ago. Isreal have stated countless times that they will blow the crap out of abywhere thought to be storing weapons, no ifs, ands, or buts. Yet somehow it was allowed happen that rockets were found in a UN-run school? That is genuinely ****ing shocking

The school that was hit this morning had no weapons! Israel were told not to target the school!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Hamas human shield myth is getting out of control.

It makes me angry to hear the Israeli leadership waffling about 'human shields' to justify their blatant airstrikes on UN facilities housing civilian refugees.

It was official policy for decades whereby the Israeli Defence Forces would use children as actual human shields during combat operations in live warzones. There are plenty of documented examples whereby this happened, and the Israeli government admitted that the practice was employed thousands of times.

And they are still doing it. The Israeli government should shut up about human shields, they have absolutely no credibility in that area.

16481_884.jpg

1256368345israel_human_shields.jpg

Amnesty International - Israeli soldiers leave Gaza homes in devastated condition
    In most cases, the families had fled or were expelled by the soldiers. In some cases, however, the soldiers prevented the families from leaving, using them as "human shields".

That article is from 2009, and Amnesty International have reported that Israel used human shields during combat operations at least a dozen times between then and 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

user2011 wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at how many times the law gets broken, again in a democracy :rolleyes:.

Sadly, I really wouldn't. I'm very familiar with some of the types of issues that land on GSOC's desk on a daily basis, and it can be very disheartening sometimes. With regard to the US, the litany of police brutality videos from Occupy protests combined with the ongoing situation in which the cops regularly kill people and are not held accountable for explaining why, is ridiculously depressing. One recent case involved a kid with Schizophrenia having an episode, his parents called the cops for some support, first group of cops came and managed to subdue the guy and calm the whole situation guy, then another cop arrived from a different district, escalated the situation and then said something like "I don't have time for this" before shooting the kid dead.

Case in Fullerton a couple of years ago was caught on camera in which the cops repeatedly tasered a guy for several minutes after he had already been clearly subdued and was no longer a threat. He died later on in custody from multiple wounds sustained during this beating. Give a wild guess, how much jail times was served by the officers involved? :mad:

wes wrote: »
    From an empty school, and they then removed the rockets.

UNRWA check each of there facilities to make sure no such rockets are present, and if found remove them. So any UNRWA facility has no weapons stored there. The IDF know this, but yet choose to deliberately target and murder civilians, despite the fact that UNRWA has when they have found rockets stored in any of the facilities removed them.

What we are seeing is blatant murder of civilians on the IDFs part, and yes who stored rockets in UN schools are also war criminals.

Your missing my point I think. I'm not for a second excusing what's happening, it's a horrific war which innocent people are bearing the brunt of no doubt.

My point was how could something like that be allowed to happen? It totally negates the whole "there targeting UNRWA schools"-hysteria, when you find weapons of war in one of these schools. Fine it was empty, disused, whatever the fact remains a facility the UNRWA designates as one of its own, was a location rockets wer stored, even after the IDF repeatedly saying this is exactly what there in Gaza to target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭paulmcshane

Apart from the scarcity of Israeli goods in our shops anyway, I don't favour this type of action - too reminiscent of what went on in Nazi Germany. What's needed, not just in this situation but in the Russia/Ukraine, North Korea etc. is for the leading figures (Benjamin Netanyahu, Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh, Putin, Kim Jong-un etc.) to be informed that they will be held personally responsible for all actions undertaken by their forces.

What has Putin done that any US President hasn't done? The difference between them is one is involved in a situation that physically borders their own country, not some random middle eastern country that has natural resources/ strategic advantages and completely expendable population and future. Putin is in the haypenny league compared to western leaders, in particular the yanks.

You cannot compare Putin and Netanyahu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Does anybody think the Americans can step in or even the Saudis to stop this?? This is an out and out genocide and this Neytanyahu is a physchopath!

Judging by the amount of Americans in favour of the attack on Gaza they won't step in meaningfully anytime soon. Media has a huge proportion of the USA public completely brainwashed. BN is an absolute nutter in our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

That's an ironic statement coming from a supporter of Israel.

How the hell does my post make me a supporter of Israel?

Post reported

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

As an American I am truly ashamed of the US's support of the mass murder of Palestinians daily, at this stage words are beyond me. I've just watched Kerry prostituting himself and defending his political career and his "unswerving support and loyalty" to Israel. Obama who claims to be a follower of Martin Luther King constantly reiterating the total support for Israel. Susan Rice yesterday addressing some Jewish assembly promising hundreds of $millions to Israel for their alleged "security", to mass murder Palestinians including hundreds of children.

No wonder the US has lost respect around the world and is now seen as the dog that the tail is wagging.

Judging by the amount of Americans in favour of the attack on Gaza they won't step in meaningfully anytime soon. Media has a huge proportion of the USA public completely brainwashed. BN is an absolute nutter in our time.

But Obama knows only too well about the history of this conflict and he is smart enough to know that he should be siding with the Palestinians, but in saying that he cant really do anything as they tail wags the dog in American politics.

Your missing my point I think. I'm not for a second excusing what's happening, it's a horrific war which innocent people are bearing the brunt of no doubt.

My point was how could something like that be allowed to happen? It totally negates the whole "there targeting UNRWA schools"-hysteria, when you find weapons of war in one of these schools. Fine it was empty, disused, whatever the fact remains a facility the UNRWA designates as one of its own, was a location rockets wer stored, even after the IDF repeatedly saying this is exactly what there in Gaza to target.

UNRWA, when they found the weapons removed them. During the summer, they probably don't check the facilities on a regular basis, due to it not being used. They have limited resources, and probably expected the various groups in Gaza to respect that schools are civilian building, but sadly there are groups who are far worse present in Gaza. All UNRWA can do is remove any weapons as there found.

Whoever put the weapons there are war criminals, and should be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest.

The IDF can say what they like, but attacking a school filled with civilians, that has been checked by UNRWA for weapons beforehand, and if found removed them, is still a war crime. All the IDF are doing is proving evidence of there guilt, that they are deliberately targeting civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I find it more frustrating that un & eu as a whole do nothing, trade embargo Israel that will do some damage and make them think about their own actions for once instead they just sit around getting paid and do nothing do they not remember why the eu was formed. Didn't the eu get the 2012 nobel peace prize for so many decades of peace since ww2. And yet no lessons learned, just stand by and do nothing while the world goes to **** again, israel's palestinian concentration camp and Russia annexing parts of the ukraine, /flips the table arghh, peace before profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

It doesn't matter what way I read your posts, it still comes across as trying to justify the killing of innocent children.

I'm not sure what country you're from or if you've seen the news this morning.

Although RTE removed the reference to
    Among the dead were a medic and an infant.

that they had earlier.

and added
    The Israeli military, in an initial response, said militants near the UN facility had fired mortar bombs and Israeli forces had shot back.

for whatever reason.

But here is the latest news.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0730/633916-gaza-israel/

"I condemn in the strongest possible terms this serious violation of international law by Israeli forces," said UNRWA commissioner General Pierre Krahenbuhl.

Advertisement