Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines plane shot down in Ukraine near Russian border[Mod warning post#193

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

sin_city wrote: »
    you wouldn’t know…your head is in the sand

I may have my head in the sand in your view, but yours is clearly far up nutter alley.

billie1b wrote: »
    Just delete it and move on yourself, totally ridiculous, trying to get clicks from such a tragedy

I dont know what your problem was. Ive deleted link.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Malaysia Airlines has updated the list of nationalities of those on the plane, increasing the number of Dutch nationals from 173 to 189. There were also 44 passengers from Malaysia, 27 from Australia, 12 from Indonesia, nine from the UK, four from Belgium, four from Germany, three from the Philippines, one from Canada and one from New Zealand. Four passengers' nationalities still need to be verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Ukrainian airspace today:

7w8f4q.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

christy c wrote: »
    Today's flight MH17 from AMS to KUL currently over Hungary. Must be a bit eerie for all onboard. I assume that they will be changing the flight number soon, airlines usually discontinue flight numbers where there have been fatalities

Ya I was looking at it on Flight Radar, it's flying over the Black Sea. Looks like it will continue over Turkey and Iran/Iraq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Watching Sky news there showing that several airlines passed that route regularly before this disaster, Singapore airlines and many more, even on the same day. None being shot down.

The picture below, I do find interesting, a lot of similarities and Putins private jet and he has apparently flown near there on jaunts back from South America. I certainly wouldn't be ruling out the Ukrainians to have had something to do with this. They were very quick out of the box blaming the Russians too.

315034.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I am not convinced.

I mean, it was cruising at 33,000 feet. Lots of planes over fly Ireland at that height and I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to see the livery on them, particularly if it was cloudy. I mean, already at 15000 feet its getting hard.

I also honestly don't think the Ukraine would be dumb enough to guarantee themselves a full-on invasion. And, above all else, they were fast enough to release the news that the plane had crashed. Previously, denials have been far higher up the agenda when there's been an accidental shootdown.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

sully2010 wrote: »
    Watching Sky news there showing that several airlines passed that route regularly before this disaster, Singapore airlines and many more, even on the same day. None being shot down.

The picture below, I do find interesting, a lot of similarities and Putins private jet and he has apparently flown near there on jaunts back from South America. I certainly wouldn't be ruling out the Ukrainians to have had something to do with this. They were very quick out of the box blaming the Russians too.

315034.jpg

At 30k feet, I can't see how you could spot what the plane looked like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Calina wrote: »
    I am not convinced.

I mean, it was cruising at 33,000 feet. Lots of planes over fly Ireland at that height and I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to see the livery on them, particularly if it was cloudy. I mean, already at 15000 feet its getting hard.

I also honestly don't think the Ukraine would be dumb enough to guarantee themselves a full-on invasion. And, above all else, they were fast enough to release the news that the plane had crashed. Previously, denials have been far higher up the agenda when there's been an accidental shootdown.

Add to the fact that the IL-96 has 4 engines, the B777 has 2.

If they were close enough to mix up the liveries, they'd have been close enough to notice the discrepancy in engines.

Exactly. The Ukranians aren't going to blow out of the sky Putin's jet and guarantee slaughter in Kiev and throughout Ukraine. This is simply, trigger happy f*cking idiots who really at heart are unemployable murders basking as saviours killing there own countrymen in support of a country who armed them with the weapons involved in this disaster. It's clear Russia's hands are all over this, whether or not they fired it is actually irrelevant now. Putin's comments have done his country zero favours this morning and If I'm honest I can actually see the Russian's using this accident as a reason to cut of the rebels, the whole involvement of the Russians in Ukraine has been bad news for the Russian economy and this disaster is further testament to the choices Osama bin Putin has made. Hopefully I'm not off topic, but Ukraine and Russia definitely relevant in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

There is lots of juicy stuff in this for the conspiracy theorists, but the idea that the Ukranians would try to shoot down Putins jet is comical.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Exactly. The Ukranians aren't going to blow out of the sky Putin's jet and guarantee slaughter in Kiev and throughout Ukraine. This is simply, trigger happy f*cking idiots who really at heart are unemployable murders basking as saviours killing there own countrymen in support of a country who armed them with the weapons involved in this disaster. It's clear Russia's hands are all over this, whether or not they fired it is actually irrelevant now. Putin's comments have done his country zero favours this morning and If I'm honest I can actually see the Russian's using this accident as a reason to cut of the rebels, the whole involvement of the Russians in Ukraine has been bad news for the Russian economy and this disaster is further testament to the choices Osama bin Putin has made. Hopefully I'm not off topic, but Ukraine and Russia definitely relevant in this.

I think that's really an overly simplistic way of looking at this. Also, being frank, it helps no one to try and be funny with sobriquets like Osama bin Putin.

Here's the question I'd like to see answered: when are we next going to see the leader of the separatists? Ultimately, I have no doubt but that they are being, supported, for want of a better word; but the support will be conditional on their activities supporting the interests of their supporters. Now, honestly speaking, is this fiasco in anyone's interests? I doubt it. So what does that do to any support they might be getting? It'll be adding significantly more conditions.

Putin's comments this morning suggest they know who was responsible for this and they know it was not the Ukraine. Otherwise, they'd have straight blamed the Ukraine for the crash. Instead, they blamed them for the dispute running in the territory.

Additionally, a photograph of the flight recorders would be useful - prior to that I do not believe they've been found.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

interesting to see what happens when the UN meet,especially with the Russians having a veto as well.

Sully wrote: »
    At 30k feet, I can't see how you could spot what the plane looked like?

Quite easy with a pair of binoculars

DoFA are investigation if an Irish woman from Dublin was on the flight. Among the known casualties was also an Irish-Australian nun, Philomena Tiernan. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

an official at Vnukovo airport said Putin's plane has been avoiding Ukrainian airspace for months, do you honestly think he would be stupid enough to fly over the troubled area knowing what gadgets both sides down below could have?

martinsvi wrote: »
    an official at Vnukovo airport said Putin's plane has been avoiding Ukrainian airspace for months, do you honestly think he would be stupid enough to fly over the troubled area knowing what gadgets both sides down below could have?

Absolutely not no, that's why I said near there. My main point was the similarity of the 2 aircraft and fact loads of other airlines flew that route and didn't get shot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

This was heat seeking missile , so what happens if 2 planes are on flight path , and a missile is fired ?

Which does it aim at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,749 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

This was heat seeking missile , so what happens if 2 planes are on flight path , and a missile is fired ?

Which does it aim at ?

i'd doubt very much it was a heat seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Which does it aim at ?

Radar guided, not heat seeking. The missile homes in on target that is being illuminated by targeting radar.

• Advertisement

Which does it aim at ?

If it was a BUK missile as claimed it is radar guided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Which does it aim at ?

Reports said the BUK system is radar guided, so it would track a target by its radar signature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Absolutely not no, that's why I said near there. My main point was the similarity of the 2 aircraft and fact loads of other airlines flew that route and didn't get shot down.

looks couldn't have played any role in this, it's a radar guided missile, they didn't have to aim visually. Other aircraft might have passed the same route, this one got unlucky.

Which does it aim at ?

no, heat seeking missiles have much smaller range, this was a radar guided BUK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Which does it aim at ?

This was a BUK radar controlled missile, much more complex than your average shoulder mounted heat seeker. If it was captured by militants I am amazed they would know how to use it without help, which once again implies Russian involvement.

buk.jpg?w=584&h=513

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ukrainian airspace today:

7w8f4q.png

Would love to see the same airspace this day last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

Quick update, my friend flew to kul via Paris, and on to Indonesia, so she is fine thank goodness. Just got a message from her. She hadn't heard about the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

fits wrote: »
    Quick update, my friend flew to kul via Paris, and on to Indonesia, so she is fine thank goodness. Just got a message from her. She hadn't heard about the crash.

Glad to hear that, must be a weight off you.

Flight recorders found by Ukrainian emergency services per Interfax via RTE, report at 13.02 today. http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0718/631606-malaysia-airlines-ukraine/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Jack1985 wrote: »
    DoFA are investigation if an Irish woman from Dublin was on the flight.

A friend of mine claims to have known a woman from Dublin on MH17 who may have been travelling on an Australian passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Would the plane have been equipped with any system that would have detected the radar missile lock and been able to take any action? Or would it have been completely by surprise?

Advertisement