Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines plane shot down in Ukraine near Russian border[Mod warning post#193

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I don't understand the whole deal with unconfirmed nationalities? there's a passenger manifest with names on it, cross reference it to the advanced passenger information and you should have a complete list. Of course I understand that no one involved want's to take any chances and announce someone dead too soon, but what kind of message does this lack of knowledge sends to the general public?

Better to get it right first time me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I'd imagine there's some kind of protocol to be followed before passengers can be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

47 of unconfirmed nationality

Confirmed:
    154 Dutch
    15 Malaysian crew
    23 Malaysians
    27 Australians
    6 British
    4 Germans
    4 Belgians
    11 Indonesians
    3 Filipinos
    1 Canadian

French Embassy says 4 of their citizens were also lost.

Reuters quoting 23 American passengers although unconfirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

Quick question: Does anyone know if there was a connecting flight from somewhere else? Amsterdam is used as a connection for some airlines to swap over and I'm just wondering if there was anything linking up with it to continue flying onto Malaysia?

pfurey101 wrote: »
    When an airline has a catastrophic incident, it has a major impact on the staff that work there. From those who were close friends of the crew, to those who think it could have been something to do with what they should or should not have done and so on.

Do maintenence crew also get stress counselling after an incident? My partner had a call from a counsellor within a couple of hours of getting home to check he was alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Quick question: Does anyone know if there was a connecting flight from somewhere else? Amsterdam is used as a connection for some airlines to swap over and I'm just wondering if there was anything linking up with it to continue flying onto Malaysia?

I would have expected a lot of transit passengers from all over Europe. Seems to be mostly Dutch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Stomach churning, passenger on MH17 named Cor Pan, Dutch National with his partner took a pic of 9M-MRD before they departed AMS this afternoon saying, ''In case it goes down'' - Both presumed dead. :(

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=465419050262262&set=a.121009184703252.21333.100003825135026&type=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Dutch news is now showing the footage of the hit plane. I was hoping that it would have exploded and the passengers killed instantly but that's not the case. I can't imagine the horror of those on board. Those poor souls.

Is that the distant shot just before impact?

It was a looping image of engine 2 on fire immediately after being hit, fairly pixelated.

the missile would probably been a heat seaker etc/have that technology, chances are it would of hit an engine(s)? also the baghdad one was an over the shoulder launcher, if rumours are true, that pro russian group have much larger weapons - so it would do way more damage one would assume, also regardless if the aircraft got hit a missile, it wouldn't just falll from the sky, it would still descend? indicating to me it was shot at well inside Ukraine or even russia etc

regardless

RIP to the lost and best wishes to their families

I'd be surprised if it was a heat seeker. They generally have quite a short range, and considering the plane was 6 miles up when hit, I'd be more inclined to think radar guided.

• Advertisement

It was a looping image of engine 2 on fire immediately after being hit, fairly pixelated.

Haven't seen it anywhere else. Got a link?

I'm afraid not. I checked on the news site and they only have a few clips up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Schipol is a major European hub as is Kuala Lumpur in Asia. Lots of people would have been travelling to Amsterdam from all over the place to continue on to Asia.

I took that MH17 flight last summer on my way to Vietnam, there were loads of Irish on it going to Australia. Same on the way back.

Given that most of the people on the flight were Dutch I would imagine that there wasn't any particular flight people came from. Most of the Dutch were probably going on summer holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Lots of Dutch going to Bali, I seen some Dutch ahead of me in Wednesfays flight queue accept the offload for Thursday offer, sadly they are now dead. I almost accepted being bumped to Thursdays flight myself, I'm in shock I didn't and throughout the flight I was kicking myself for not volunteering myself off, 99% sure I'd have been on the flight if somehow the tape was somehow rewinded knowing my habits. It was like all the stars aligned correctly and this was my moment I won the lottery in that I'm alive this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Stinicker wrote: »
    Lots of Dutch going to Bali, I seen some Dutch ahead of me in Wednesfays flight queue accept the offload for Thursday offer, sadly they are now dead. I almost accepted being bumped to Thursdays flight myself, I'm in shock I didn't and throughout the flight I was kicking myself for not volunteering myself off, 99% sure I'd have been on the flight if somehow the tape was somehow rewinded knowing my habits. It was like all the stars aligned correctly and this was my moment I won the lottery in that I'm alive this morning.

Im glad you were not on that flight seems someone was looking out for you. My heart goes out to all the families of the people who lost their life's in this incident. Someone is going to have to sort this mess out in Ukraine the Russians have a lot to answer for arming those terrorists with kit like that. Reminds me of the Russian involvement in Moldova in the 90's where we now have an area called transnistria which is supported by the russian amry and no international country recognizes it, but it claims to be an independent state.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Stinicker wrote: »
    Lots of Dutch going to Bali

Unfortunately, Terribly sad. :(

2r7tybk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This makes me feel sick. Moreso than MH370 did because this was done to them, not just a tragic twist of fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Number of passengers updated to 283 and Britons to 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Stinicker you are one lucky guy...I bet you're pretty shaken up right now so glad you're here with us to talk about it.

Sickening that the rebels have been quoted as saying "F*** them they shouldnt have been flying over our airspace". :mad:

Now reading members of the World Health Organisation and leading AIDS researchers on board.

Media also now saying the Dutch guy that posted a pic of the plane before boarding onto Facebook is a fake, its a different aircraft reg to the downed aircraft.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/10281474/MH17-crash-If-this-plane-disappears-this-is-what-it-will-look-like

Updated statement from Malaysia Airlines:
    With immediate effect, all European flights operated by Malaysia Airlines will be taking alternative routes avoiding the usual route.

Malaysia Airlines flight MH17, which was on a scheduled flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur went down in eastern Ukraine. Malaysia Airlines confirms that the aircraft did not make a distress call.

The usual flight route was earlier declared safe by the International Civil Aviation Organisation. International Air Transportation Association has stated that the airspace the aircraft was traversing was not subject to restrictions.

As opposed to the earlier statement, the flight was carrying a total number of 298 people – comprising 283 passengers including three infants of various nationalities and 15 crew of Malaysian nationality. Some of the nationalities of the passengers are yet to be determined.

List of number of passengers and crew according to nationality are as follows:-

Nationality

Total

Netherlands

Malaysia

45 (including 15 crew & 2 infants)

Australia

Indonesia

12 (including 1 infant)

United Kingdom

Germany

Belgium

Philippines

Canada

Unverified

Total

Malaysia Airlines is in the process of notifying the next-of-kin of the passengers and crew.

Our focus now is to work with the emergency responders and authorities and mobilize its full support to provide all possible care to the next-of-kin. Malaysia Airlines is deploying its “Go Team” to Amsterdam with a group of caregivers and volunteers to assist the family members of the passengers.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members.

The airline will provide regular updates on the situation.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I've always been a mini aviation fan and this was my first flight on Malaysian and I gave them the benefit of the doubt after MH370, their nice to travel with and their 777 is comfy with more legroom at 34" pitch compared to emirates stingy 32" pitch. The 5 abreast centre aisle is weird and they should do 3-3-3 as they are 9 a breast at 2-5-2 and I was stuck the middle. IFE on the 777-200 is good but the screens are terrible to small 4:3 but my iPad earned it's keep yesterday.

The cabin crew were nice and I couldn't fault them. Their name is in the gutter now but people need to remember these 295 people were murdered by Ukrainian-Russian separatists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

298 now :-《

pclancy wrote: »
    Media also now saying the Dutch guy that posted a pic of the plane before boarding onto Facebook is a fake, its a different aircraft reg to the downed aircraft.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/10281474/MH17-crash-If-this-plane-disappears-this-is-what-it-will-look-like

Don't know about that, but they're also claiming
    Earlier this week Pan posted photos to his Facebook page of his vacation and said he was in Indonesia, even though the post was location-stamped to the Netherlands.

If that's the case Pan is likely in for a shock when he finally arrives home in Holland.

That's a mistranslation of "nog even" (hello, google translate), they have take it to mean "still here" when it really means something more like "not long now" or "soon".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Is this real?

Edit:I deleted the link.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Is this real?

The video is real but is of a cargo 747 crashing in Afghanistan, all crew perished in that crash also. Not related to yesterday's tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

With all due respect, we still don't ACTUALLY know if this plane was shot down by anyone. Its a volatile region, with agendas. Personally I hope that the proper authorities can access the site and discover the real cause.

But two Malaysian aircraft going down within a few months of each other is mindbogglingly frightening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

This explains allot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

There will be a propaganda war over any and all information from this disaster. Both Ukraine (Siberian 1812) and the former USSR (Korean 007) have previous. Took the Ukrainians a while to admit it too. What I'm saying is: some of us could be in our dotage before we can truly "know" what went on because there will be an active effort by the guilty to smear the other side while covering as many of their own tracks as possible. Given the crowing over snagging a Ukrainian SAM battery and shooting down a Ukrainian plane earlier in the week, Occam's razor does lead one in a particular direction.

Advertisement