Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines plane shot down in Ukraine near Russian border[Mod warning post#193

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

terrible tragedy.

is it possible that the plane just exploded in mid air as opposed to being shot down?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

terrible tragedy.

is it possible that the plane just exploded in mid air as opposed to being shot down?

Totally.

TWA800 blew up in mid air as a result of fuel fumes and wiring.

Everyone seems to be pointing at a missile attack though, either intentional or accidental

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Who technically owns the black boxes and has there ever been a legal battle to get hold of them?

As far as I remember, the State of Occurance is responsible for the investigation and the State of Occurance is also responsible for preserving the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Horrible turn of events. Just checking flightradar and several A380s are skirting around Ukraine. Cannot even fathom what would have happened if one of those was targeted. Hopefully the people who did this will be brought to justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Totally.

TWA800 blew up in mid air as a result of fuel fumes and wiring.

Everyone seems to be pointing at a missile attack though, either intentional or accidental

The US military satellite's has confirmed a missile strike.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/17/world/europe/ukraine-malaysia-airlines-crash/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

There is only one person to blame for this: Vladimir Putin. He's the one promoting Russian nationalism and trying to re-invent the Soviet Union. You can be quite sure he approved the transfer of missiles to the rebels.

The man is a menace to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Esho

VladPutin's press statement blaming the Ukrainian army for this made me swtich off the radio this morning.
    What a disgusting study in arrogance.

I hope that he is held accountable for arming the insurgents.

RIP all on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

folbotcar wrote: »
    There is only one person to blame for this: Vladimir Putin. He's the one promoting Russian nationalism and trying to re-invent the Soviet Union. You can be quite sure he approved the transfer of missiles to the rebels.

The man is a menace to everyone.

I wouldn't be jumping to that conclusion.The Donetsk branch of the mitia took over an Ukranian air dense base in June 29 of last month.it was a Ukranian Anti air vehicle in which they probably used.

http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_06_29/Donetsk-militia-takes-control-of-Ukrainian-anti-air-installation-1561/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

I wouldn't be jumping to that conclusion.The Donetsk branch of the mitia took over an Ukranian air dense base in June 29 of last month.it was a Ukranian Anti air vehicle in which they probably used.

http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_06_29/Donetsk-militia-takes-control-of-Ukrainian-anti-air-installation-1561/

Are you serious? I didn't mean he pulled the trigger. Ultimately he is responsible for escalating the conflict and supplying the terrorists. It's irrelevant how they acquired the missiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Yes just had a look at Schiphol departures. Flight MH17 goes at 12. I think it's a daily flight to KL.

Presuming they follow the same flight route every day, is there much involved in changing a predetermined route following yesterdays incident? As in can an airline choose to reach a destination by whatever route they want or are they designated a specific route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

folbotcar wrote: »
    Are you serious? I didn't mean he pulled the trigger. Ultimately he is responsible for escalating the conflict and supplying the terrorists. It's irrelevant how they acquired the missiles.

You just said in your post that it was Putin himself who approved the transfer of the missiles used by the rebels.im merely pointing out your wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I think it's up to the pilots, and they're usually concerned with weather conditions and also fuel efficiency when they decide their flight path. Ukraine is now off limits for Dutch flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Boots234 wrote: »
    Presuming they follow the same flight route every day, is there much involved in changing a predetermined route following yesterdays incident? As in can an airline choose to reach a destination by whatever route they want or are they designated a specific route?

I don't know a whole lot about aviation but from what I understand pilots have to log flight plans for their routes, I assume with air traffic control. I'd imagine most of the time that's just a standard routine, especially if it's the same route all the time, but if they are changing course for subsequent flights that would have passed through Ukrainian airspace they may be advised on how to route it as there will be other flights on those routes too. They would have to take into account extra fuel needed if the route is longer, height and speed of travel too perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

New to the thread, just heard that the black boxes are found and on the way to Russia. Hardly the best place for them considering.

Who technically owns the black boxes and has there ever been a legal battle to get hold of them?

The owners of the investigation would be the government/aviation authority of the area where the incident occurred. In this case one would normally say Ukraine. It would then be up to the Ukraines to call in what ever expertise they needed and send the boxes to the best facility - if they could not read the data themselves.

But it looks like the rebels got their hands on the boxes and immediately sent them to their masters. One can only speculate what will happen to the data now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

pfurey101 wrote: »
    The owners of the investigation would be the government/aviation authority of the area where the incident occurred. In this case one would normally say Ukraine. It would then be up to the Ukraines to call in what ever expertise they needed and send the boxes to the best facility - if they could not read the data themselves.

But it looks like the rebels got their hands on the boxes and immediately sent them to their masters. One can only speculate what will happen to the data now.

This is the interesting thing. I don't see confirmed reports regarding the flight recorders...I see claims but...no pictures of said boxes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BBC saying that it's not been confirmed that blackboxes have been found, that it's just a rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

not sure if its already been written here, but apparently theres a woman who had a brother on the first Malaysia plane that had a step daugher on yesterdays plane.

thats appaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

There are a number of factors used in flight routes, the first is economics, by using the best winds and shortening the flight route results in less fuel and flight time, therefore making the flight more economical. The systems have the ability to avoid declared areas, or countries for reasons such as no overflight clearances or the area is considered dangerous. Once the airline decides on the route, it must be filed with ATC flow control, they may reject a route due to flow restrictions, and offer an alternative.
    The pilots arrive about 1.5 hours prior to the flight departure time, they would have little or no input to this process, the route would have been decided before they got there.
    There is talk about a NOTAM closing the airspace was issued 12 hours before the flight departure time, but considering that there were still a number of airlines using that airway, it doesn't appear that the NOTAM was dissemintated rapidly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Today's flight MH17 from AMS to KUL currently over Hungary. Must be a bit eerie for all onboard. I assume that they will be changing the flight number soon, airlines usually discontinue flight numbers where there have been fatalities

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can they be trusted tho

There a dashcam video on link below, showing moment of impact. Pretty fecking scary watching that plane fall

Sorry, just read this video may not be from that crash at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Jake1 wrote: »
    There a dashcam video on link below, showing moment of impact. Pretty fecking scary watching that plane fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAkunT8KpyI#t=25

It's not. That's footage of a 747 cargo crash in Afghanistan.

Calina wrote: »
    It's not. That's footage of a 747 cargo crash in Afghanistan.

yes, I know that now, I did do an edit to reflect I was incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

yes, I know that now, I did do an edit to reflect I was incorrect.

Wouldn't it be better to delete the link altogether? Is that your YouTube account by any chance? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be better to delete the link altogether? Is that your YouTube account by any chance? :rolleyes:

no it isnt, rolly eyes.
    I put the link up in good faith. I did and immediate edit to reflect i was wrong. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's not that crash was in Afghanistan. I saw that video a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

no it isnt, rolly eyes.
    I put the link up in good faith. I did and immediate edit to reflect i was wrong. Move on.

Just delete it and move on yourself, totally ridiculous, trying to get clicks from such a tragedy

Advertisement