Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines plane shot down in Ukraine near Russian border[Mod warning post#193

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Debris field analysis from the Wall Street Journal

http://graphics.wsj.com/mh17-crash-map/

radar0976 wrote: »
    Debris field analysis from the Wall Street Journal

Yeesh that's a fair scattering. Normal circumstances it would be OK but the fact they can't secure them makes it harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Willie Walsh says BA stopped flying over Eastern Ukraine in March

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/aug/01/british-airways-stopped-flights-ukraine-march-mh17

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

Waiting for comments of those who tried to be smart in this and other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

You cite a site that's main contributors are conspiracy theorists and crackpots. I'm deleting your links and giving you a week off for ignoring the Mod instruction in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Lord Lucan, i did read that article as the link was in our emails, it rehashes all the same garbage that we had before, quoting the same sources, there is nothing new. Its also quite funny that it shows pictures of the A10 that contradicts their assumptions that the aircraft was shot down, not to mention the fact that they believe that the altitude limitation on the SU25 was due to pilot oxygen.....

I just noticed that Folbotcar wasn't too impressed with one of my previous messages...
    You are a regular here not some conspiracy nut. Stop the sophistry.

Sorry about that, when i said Russian, i was thinking about Russian military and not Ethnic Russian. Of the 3 possible contenders to have launched the missile, my guess and thats all it is, goes for Ethnic Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 iradzen

from New Straits Time:

"KUALA LUMPUR: INTELLIGENCE analysts in the United States had already concluded that Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was shot down by an air-to-air missile, and that the Ukrainian government had had something to do with it."

cannot post URLs, so omitted www

.nst.com.my/node/20961?d=1

iradzen wrote: »
    from New Straits Time:

"KUALA LUMPUR: INTELLIGENCE analysts in the United States had already concluded that Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was shot down by an air-to-air missile, and that the Ukrainian government had had something to do with it."

cannot post URLs, so omitted www

.nst.com.my/node/20961?d=1
    That article is rehashing a story that appeared originally in the same publication that was quoted a few posts before which I subsequently deleted. It's not a reliable news source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

lord lucan wrote: »
    That article is rehashing a story that appeared originally in the same publication that was quoted a few posts before which I subsequently deleted. It's not a reliable news source.

The New Straits Times is a mainstream news media source.

Can you provide a list of news sources that you consider to be reliable?

porsche959 wrote: »
    The New Straits Times is a mainstream news media source.

Can you provide a list of news sources that you consider to be reliable?

The new Strait TImes isn't the problem, it's the global research crowd they quote that are.

• Advertisement

S.R. wrote: »

Russia uses another avenue to have a pop at the Ukraine. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

FoxNews.com and rt.com are two information outlets (you cant really call them "news") that I would never even click on.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Russia uses another avenue to have a pop at the Ukraine. Yawn.

And rightly so.
    Beware of flies.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    FoxNews.com and rt.com are two information outlets (you cant really call them "news") that I would never even click on.

U right. RTE rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

How MH17 and its passengers became victims of a distant war.

Haven't read it yet, but looks like a good recap/where things go from here article...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some sort of video realised today, it seems the rebels hadn't a clue and were very troubled that it was a civilian aircraft.

Fragments of a suspected Russian missile system have been found at the Flight MH17 crash site in eastern Ukraine, investigators say.
    The joint team in the Netherlands says the parts, possibly from a Buk surface-to-air system, are "of particular interest" and could help determine who was involved in the crash.
    But they say they have not proved a "causal connection" between the parts and the crash. MH17 crashed in an area held by pro-Russian rebels in July 2014, killing all 298 people on board.
    Ukraine and many Western countries have accused pro-Russian rebels of shooting down the plane, saying they could have used a Buk missile system supplied by Russia.
    Russia and the rebels deny any responsibility and say the Ukrainian military is to blame.
    The joint investigation team comprises representatives of the Netherlands, Ukraine, Malaysia, Australia, the UK, US and Russia.

Taken them long enough to find these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

smurfjed wrote: »

I don't imagine they were being very casual about it. It's not the best of places to work in.....and these things take time also.

Checking every tiny bit of metal and fabric to try and determin where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

But they say they have not proved a "causal connection" between the parts and the crash. MH17 crashed in an area held by pro-Russian rebels in July 2014, killing all 298 people on board.

Oh sure, maybe there were some missile fragments already in the paddock where she went down???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

Satellite expert Zaaim Redha Abdul Rahman, who helped the UK satellite firm Inmarsat analyze data shortly after the plane went missing in March last year, said the plane probably made a soft landing on the water, floated for a while on the surface, and then sank mostly in one piece.
    This is consistent with what other experts have said about the likely fate of the plane after new evidence emerged last month.
    A piece of debris that was almost certainly part of MH370 suggests the aircraft may have glided along after running out of fuel and descended slowly into the water. A Boeing 777 flaperon washed up on Reunion Island near Madagascar in the Indian Ocean.
    Former US National Transportation Safety Board investigator Greg Feith told Bloomberg that since the piece was not "crushed," experts could "deduce it was either a low-energy crash or a low-energy intentional ditching." https://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/ma...181820592.html

That is absolutely horrendous. And a horrendous thing to say with little proof as it implies that some of the passengers could have survived the landing. Which is pretty much the worst thing ever.

Fits... I think that you got the wrong topic....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

Fits... I think that you got the wrong topic....

You are right i did. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

It's an interesting report and I'm sure that if I read the topic in after hours they will already be calling it inconclusive or fake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

It's an interesting report and I'm sure that if I read the topic in after hours they will already be calling it inconclusive or fake!
    The Russians are disputing the type of missile and where it originated from.
    Claims it was an older type missile, no longer used and from Ukrainian controlled territory.
    Dutch investigators seem to acknowledge but refute these claims.
    They don't however attribute blame.

Also 160 flights were flying in that airspace that day, 61 operators from 32 countries. Ukraine had not closed airspace even though they knew but had restricted it to FL320

The obvious unanswered question is why MH17?
    Sheer bad luck?

Did inexperienced separatists mistake the plane for a military one as is suggested by that early amateur video.
    Ukraine suggests it was a planned downing by Russian operators, that separatists couldn't operate these missiles
    To what end.

So i guess this report leaves us knowing as much as we did a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

wil wrote: »

So i guess this report leaves us knowing as much as we did a year ago.

More fool me. Apparently there is a separate criminal report due in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭outsidein98

The Russians are lying. They learned quickly that if you lie often enough. It quickly become truth or at least appears plausible. They realise that in the west we tend to give equal weight to both sides. So they lie knowing it's a lie. The press not being free connive in the lie because it's either good for Russia or they dare not dissent.
    It's the same with the bombing of Syria. They say they're bombing IS. But they're slaughtering all anti Assad opposition. If anyone objects they simply lie about it.
    They quite cleverly have worked out how the Internet works. Lie,lie and lie and people will believe you. Simple reality is that a Russian supplied missile shot down a civilian airliner. The firers believed it was a Ukrainian military aircraft. They effed up but will never admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

The Russians are lying. They learned quickly that if you lie often enough. It quickly become truth or at least appears plausible. They realise that in the west we tend to give equal weight to both sides. So they lie knowing it's a lie. The press not being free connive in the lie because it's either good for Russia or they dare not dissent.
    It's the same with the bombing of Syria. They say they're bombing IS. But they're slaughtering all anti Assad opposition. If anyone objects they simply lie about it.
    They quite cleverly have worked out how the Internet works. Lie,lie and lie and people will believe you. Simple reality is that a Russian supplied missile shot down a civilian airliner. The firers believed it was a Ukrainian military aircraft. They effed up but will never admit it.

It's mad really, the Russians lying all the time and so many online assume the west (especially the Americans) are lying all the time.

It is indeed so much easier for Russia to keep the lies going, i.e. fear generation, threats and control. Yet the main reason why I do not believe the west lies (all the time) is that how the feck do you keep all involved quiet? We give our governments too much credit at times with being able to control and hide what so many accuse them of!

• Advertisement

So the trolls wasted their time trying to prove that it was shot down by a fighter jet.

Advertisement