Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines plane shot down in Ukraine near Russian border[Mod warning post#193

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Separatists found the black box, say they're sending it to Moscow - Dutch News NOS channel

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

Hopefully she flew yesterday. Read a post back saying it's been confirmed no irish on the flight, so hopefully she's fine.

She is Hungarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I have a long haul flight in 2 weeks time, Flying to Aus via Dubai and Kuala Lumpur todays events makes me uneasy about the flight.

RIP to to those that died

Terrible tragedies, but don't worry ... safest form of travel - fact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭bigroad

Eight british on board.Itv 1 news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

fits wrote: »
    She is Hungarian.

Apologies, what with it being an irish site, I assumed incorrectly.

I hope you hear from her soon and I'm hopeful that she'll be absolutely fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Technically that was my thread title. You stole it. But I'll let it slide. :rolleyes:

The mods merged your thread with mine and this was the outcome, I too shall let your accusation of theft slide. ;)

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I have a long haul flight in 2 weeks time, Flying to Aus via Dubai and Kuala Lumpur todays events makes me uneasy about the flight.

You'll be grand.

I'm terrified of flying, and had to take a flight shortly after the last Malaysian Airlines disaster and I freaked out. No need to though, it was fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

1km = 1000m so 10km is 10,000m

No wonder maths is poor in pur country !!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

You won't fly anywhere near Ukraine if that makes you feel 1% better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

tharmor wrote: »
    No wonder maths is poor in pur country !!

And spelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Fcuk off, it's not funny to joke about this.

It was meant as a dig at the garth brooks drama apologies offered

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

fr336 wrote: »
    Ain't this the truth. Never ever "Ah it'll be ok" or influenced by others.

To be fair, it's a lucky coincidence and I'm delighted he is ok, but your gut feeling has nothing to do with tragedies like this. I'm sure there are people who changed the other way too.

RIP to all involved. Sickening stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

What a bunch of scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Somewhere out there is someone who pulled the trigger to start all of this today. I hope he realises what he has done is awful.

Whatever about targeting your enemy, to take down a civil jet is an unthinkable act :(

As Fred Woodworth said...

"It seems like such a terrible shame that innocent civilians have to get hurt in wars, otherwise combat would be such a wonderfully healthy way to rid the human race of unneeded trash"

Does anyone know if any Hungarian passengers on board? ( relying on my phone for internet as travelling so can't look properly)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

They will never find out anything here the Russians will cover it up. Look at the polish tupolev that "crashed" taking out most of the countries leaders. There's a very interesting theory about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

YbFocus wrote: »
    Whatever about targeting your enemy, to take down a civil jet is an unthinkable act :(
    "

The terrible thing is that if today's act was intentional or not, it has been done on purpose before by the USSR and possibly by the USN, never fully proven.

Does anyone know if any Hungarian passengers on board? ( relying on my phone for internet as travelling so can't look properly)

Not yet but Dutch news is getting information earlier than Ireland/UK and the news has taken over channel 1. I'll let you know the second I hear anything.

I'm pretty sure she went yesterday but no update yet so would be good to know she is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Countries are only now avoiding Ukraine air space. What they were doing flying over it is anyone's guess

US airlines have avoided the airspace since (I think) April

It's all about the money, money, money

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure she went yesterday but no update yet so would be good to know she is safe.

I hope you have called her and she did not reply and hence you are saying all this here on public forum. .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

There could be the possibility of a major diplomatic row.
    Since the accident happened in Ukraine, the investigation should be Ukrainian. If , as seems possible, the rebels have control of the area, then evidence including CVR and DFDR could be sent to Moscow.And investigation of the crash site?
    The Russians should send the black boxes back to Kiev. But what if they don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

vicwatson wrote: »
    US airlines have avoided the airspace since (I think) April

It's all about the money, money, money

Evidence of this?

Lots of blatant opinion on this.

Is it a coincidence that today is 17th....??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

tharmor wrote: »
    Is it a coincidence that today is 17th....??

P I double S off with your conspiracy and coincidental crap

Press conference in half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Press conference in half an hour.

Where?

Sorry, I'm not really asking where.

What channels will be covering it? All of them?

Schiphol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

There was a teenage girl behind me in the queue in schipol balling crying and I was going to ask if she was ok but I was then called as I hadn't got my boarding pass in Cork, she really freaked me out and I was shaking with nerves myself. I never noticed her after that now but I'm really upset and freaked and she was not the only one freaked by boarding that jet. We are all alive but I can't help thinking I was only a click of a mouse from sealing my destiny, I also took strong sedatives (benzo diazepene) and slept for a lot of the flight as while I have clocked up 73 flights and over 120,000 air miles in my life yesterday's was the only I was truly nervous of due to MH370, I flew through the tail of Typhoon Rammasun afterwards from KUL to MNL and it was the most turbulent I was on ever, yet I felt safe on the new 737-800, the escape from the jaws of death I made is amazing.

I landed here in Manila to a scene of devastation, no electricity, sweat dripping from every pore, incalculable grinding poverty, awake over 40 hours and then I read of the miraculous escape I made. A quirk of fate or something else bigger? One thing is for sure that is a day I will never forget and for now as the jet lag starts to win the war and as I approach 50 hours awake must now I go to my sleep.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Where?

Sorry, I'm not really asking where.

What channels will be covering it? All of them?

Sorry, no idea. The scrolling bar at the bottom of Ned 1 is saying press conference at 21:53 (so, in just one minute). If it's in Dutch and not going out everywhere I'll post any key points I can figure out.

Advertisement