Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Warm, Thunderstorms, Flash flooding - Friday through weekend

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mucksavage1985

Thunder in portarlington!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Used to this back home in the mid-west.

I don't think I've seen a thunderstorm like this in Ireland.

Its finally departing Wicklow.... it was some show.

Brace yourself Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

whitebriar wrote: »
    Batton down your hatches! Hope you get what we got! Twas worthy of florida.
    Just checked rain rate peaked at 160
    Total 19.7mm

So its safe to say that the Arkla Drought of Summer 2014 is officially over? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yeah, not a peep out of the sky here either, but the sky is ominous and it's eerily calm/still.

I have that sinking feeling this might not be our day. Hope i'm wrong.

Should I be unplugging all my consumer electronics at this point? Serious question!

• Advertisement

Feckin Raintoday hasn't updated since 5:15am

• Registered Users Posts: 44 avnol

I have that sinking feeling this might not be our day. Hope i'm wrong.

Oh don't say that I haven't been able to sleep much with excitement. Waiting on it to hit dublin :)

Calibos wrote: »
    Should I be unplugging all my consumer electronics at this point? Serious question!

Any thunder or lightning?

Any thunder or lightning?

not yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

whitebriar wrote: »
    In theory,if I liked lightning and for that initial biscay push wexfords the place to be.
    The fly in the ointment from the thunderstorm point of view is a gale off the Irish Sea.
    That could scupper and often does scupper the thunder.
    A lot of rain though.

Biscay is right, in Rathdrum/wicklow camping. Best thunder ever! Think it sounds like its moving north now.
    Ya sure , count the seconds between lightning and thunder someone said.
    0 seconds=Helllllllp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

So its safe to say that the Arkla Drought of Summer 2014 is officially over? :D
    Well I'd say the grounds so hard that it all ran into the river :(
    Just eased now.
    The most fantastic 3hr lightning and thunder show in years in the Arklow area anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Rain just started here, no thunder yet, quite excited! Will be unplugging pc once thunder starts up.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Wouldn't hurt, but you should be fine.

(Wicklow town blacked out now.... No shower this morning :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 44 avnol

Only noise in glasnevin is of seagulls lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder getting louder in Naas. A flicker just now

After being some really good flashes here in the south of Kildare close to the carlow, Wicklow border. Some really loud bangs. It's not intense by any means but still fun, caught a bit on camera not one of the best ones.

going from the radar and lightning maps seems Wicklow got it really good, seems to be heading for Dublin.

Set off a few alarms here, and a few hens got upset, bit heavy rain not much looks like Wicklow gets a lot of rain.

This is the best I've seen in years, I hope there's much more to come!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

All to my East by a few miles. A nice bit of vivid lightning and rumblings of thunder. Moderate rain.

This is the best I've seen in years, I hope there's much more to come!!!

There is still the odd rumble here... But the rain is getting stronger & stronger!

Flooding is certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

pad199207 wrote: »
    Haven't seen lightning for a while now

A few rumbles of thunder.

Aunt in Athy said its bad down there grrrr

I'm near Pad and it was ayee bad. A few flashes and rumbles that were anything close to overheard. Rest of the time just rumbles and distant flashes from what's further over in Wicklow and now into north kildare!

Used to this back home in the mid-west.

I don't think I've seen a thunderstorm like this in Ireland.

Its finally departing Wicklow.... it was some show.

Brace yourself Dublin!

There was some crazy storms in the mid 80's to early 90s but especially 1985-88. Nothing like it since. Those were real thunderstorms, and pretty violent. I think most especially 1985.

I think pretty much from then on the winds from the west dominated keeping the air cooler, south, south west and south east winds look to bring Ireland fun not the boring rain and wind from the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

North Kildare, just up in time. Hoping it reaches this far. Sky has turned ominous with low scuds crossing overhead. Can't hear anything yet. Fingers crossed.

The track of the most active area does indeed look like its making a bee line from Wicklow towards Bray. Still no sign of lightning looking towards Bray Head though

Some more potential cell development behind the initial band if that doesn't deliver for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Flash and house rattling thunder here in Naas now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Distant rumble of thunder here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lesmanic

Thunder in portarlington!!!

Any update ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A few faint grumbles of thunder in Lucan now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Heroditas wrote: »
    A few faint grumbles of thunder in Lucan now.

Go get your breakfast and then come back...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

I thought it was passing but still some rumbles but the loudest thunder seems to be gone,

I remember the good ones years ago, the sky would turn really darkish red and the thunder would start about 5 pm and wouldn't stop until the early am with a hell of a lot of action.

All from the south and south east.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement