Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Warm, Thunderstorms, Flash flooding - Friday through weekend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok going back to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Couple of flashes now over the bay in Tramore, Co.Waterford, thunder seems to be getting louder each time, hopefully this is the start now!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Couple of flashes now over the bay in Tramore, Co.Waterford, thunder seems to be getting louder each time, hopefully this is the start now!

Am in ferrybank and thought I could hear thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I'm giving this another hour & then bed

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bazza935

Am in ferrybank and thought I could hear thunder

Definitely heard it there in Waterford city myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Meso-scale convective system (MCS) has formed south of Wexford, this could get intense soon -- the leading edge of convection seemed to fizzle out in dry air but this next wave looks quite intense on satellite and radar now. Would say 0330-0400 will move inland across Wexford and Waterford and then it will probably expand quickly over the inland southeast 04-05h. Still thinking 06-07 for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Just saw first bit of fork lightning now here in Tramore, Co.Waterford over the bay, still fairly far away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

According to Sat24 - The most intense lightning will be between 4-7 moving in towards the south east then drifting to the midlands and west but all areas seem to be highlighted for some activity between that time, im 99% sure they had it moving in earlier on another run

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Meso-scale convective system (MCS) has formed south of Wexford, this could get intense soon -- the leading edge of convection seemed to fizzle out in dry air but this next wave looks quite intense on satellite and radar now. Would say 0330-0400 will move inland across Wexford and Waterford and then it will probably expand quickly over the inland southeast 04-05h. Still thinking 06-07 for Dublin.

MT still nothing in Cork - Is this going to happen for us??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Torrential downpour atm in and around Tralee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

buyer95 wrote: »
    Torrential downpour atm in and around Tralee.

Still getting the odd flash every few minutes but nothing like it was an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thinking that it will develop a little slower for Cork now as the energy over Kerry pulls away, can see the gap filling steadily but intensity only moderate, could also jump over the coast and explode inland but possibly not missing Cork city in the process. All things considered, would suggest 0500h at this point for most intense activity around Cork but spreading rapidly north, let's say 0600h for Limerick. It could last several hours once it gets going properly.

Most promising recent observation is gusty winds at Aberporth on Welsh coast. Shows that the Wicklow coast is under attack now from the east. Uplift can be seen already on satellite. Basically, with the exception of the few dozen people awake here following the thread, this is going to wake up a lot of people in the southeast earlier than they were planning on. What was reported from Kerry will likely be the story from much of the southeast in an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Huge flashes and some very distant but distinct rumbling to the south here in wex town now, **** is about to hit the fan

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Thinking that it will develop a little slower for Cork now as the energy over Kerry pulls away, can see the gap filling steadily but intensity only moderate, could also jump over the coast and explode inland but possibly not missing Cork city in the process. All things considered, would suggest 0500h at this point for most intense activity around Cork but spreading rapidly north, let's say 0600h for Limerick. It could last several hours once it gets going properly.

Most promising recent observation is gusty winds at Aberporth on Welsh coast. Shows that the Wicklow coast is under attack now from the east. Uplift can be seen already on satellite. Basically, with the exception of the few dozen people awake here following the thread, this is going to wake up a lot of people in the southeast earlier than they were planning on. What was reported from Kerry will likely be the story from much of the southeast in an hour or two.

Im just over across the shannon river from shannon airport, what time will i get any action? That system in the east is looking intense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Seen another three flashes way off to the SE from here on the Laois-Kilkenny border, I have a reasonable view down the Nore valley between the hills.

My detector is going ballistic, Wexford-Waterford coast getting pummelled.

Breezy here, a light spit of rain a few minutes ago has stopped. Sky semi-illuminated by the moon, but from what I can make out there is convection going up overhead also!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just on the eastern edge of London, I've never witnessed thunder and lightening like that in my 31 years - breathtaking stuff. It's passed over now by the sounds of it, heading west towards you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

flashing every two seconds to my south, have given in and am driving down to the quays with one of my mates will hopefully have some great videos later

Just when I think its over, another big flash and the loudest thunder bang of the night. Lashing rain now in Tralee.

My detector is getting a strike every 2 seconds from the Wexford storm... must be something else! WOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

Incredible amount of lightning showing up and approaching Wexford - check out Blitzortung live maps (sorry I'm unable to post the link due to insufficient number of posts!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

theteal wrote: »
    Just on the eastern edge of London, I've never witnessed thunder and lightening like that in my 31 years - breathtaking stuff. It's passed over now by the sounds of it, heading west towards you guys

It's actually heading north-east. I'm in north Bedfordshire and it reached here the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

Flashing away to my south now. Way off. But can see it high in the clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Danno wrote: »
    My detector is getting a strike every 2 seconds from the Wexford storm... must be something else! WOW!

Was looking south east from my high vantage point in north Kilkenny, thought my eyes were being crazy, could make out faint changes in the light which would correlate to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

Quite a few strikes showing up in a band stretching right across Southern Wales....all this moving North West towards Ireland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

There are some very big flashes out in the Atlantic.

Any chance it'll come to the west?

It's not gonna be as exciting considering it'll be bright soon enough, but I'd love some really loud thunder!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

lightening strikes every where in the south bar cork city. :rolleyes: if i was down in youghal by the looks of things i would have seen some action

Looks like its all over in Tralee, raining now. No thunder or lightning in the last 20 minutes.

It was crazy, seen nothing like it before. From 1.30 am until 3.15 am it was thunder and lightning every few minutes. At a guess at least 50-60 flashes!

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    lightening strikes every where in the south bar cork city. :rolleyes: if i was down in youghal by the looks of things i would have seen some action

The street lights of the city will block out much of what is going on around you. Lightning only 10 miles away is lost, whereas here in the countryside here I can see lightning up to 50 or 60 miles off.

Also, were you looking west earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I will admit I am an amateur weather follower, but I can't see anything happening in Dublin other than a bit rain? Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Lightning now visible from Arklow with constant faint distant thunder

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement