Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

kitty osheas parnell street, north cumberland junction. couple of doors down from the blue lion

was a spar now a oriental shop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The Elbow Inn Henry St was a great spot
    Rainbows Exchequer St another
    Fives another one
    Donovan's on Mark St used to serve Plasma on draught.
    All sadly gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Hootanany wrote: »
    The Elbow Inn Henry St was a great spot
    Rainbows Exchequer St another
    Fives another one
    Donovan's on Mark St used to serve Plasma on draught.
    All sadly gone.

The Elbow Inn was where my old man would take me when the mother was shopping in Arnotts on the junction of Liffey st, always packed.

The Bernie Inn on Nassau st where the porterhouse is now with Max the night club which is now Lillies.

Barnstormers in Capel st, bikers and Scooterists got on no problem, if you had a few to many they would let you bring the bike through the pub and out the back to keep over night, it moved over to Townsend st in the mid 90's.

Rices on the corner of south kings st and Grafton st where the shopping center is now, went to school with the son of the owner as kids, best birthday party's, the whole class off to the Green cinema and then back to the up stairs bar, as much as you could have.

The Pygmalion, then the William tell, now the Hairy Lemon great spot, good staff that looked after you, popped in on a Stephens day got the Christmas drinks never had to put my hand in my pocket, thanks Willie.

Blacks on Talbot st now the Celt, back in the day you could park your motorbike out the back and have 1 or 2 but when it came to closing time they would turn all the lights out for about 30 seconds and if you didn't get to the bar by the time they came back on you were fecked.

The High tide now O Riordans, great spot for a pint before heading off to a club, Bertie got a clip of a crutch there a while back.

Life bar in the Irish Life, if you wanted a quiet drink, also the Confession box, giving away all my secrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

septictank wrote: »
    The Elbow Inn was where my old man would take me when the mother was shopping in Arnotts on the junction of Liffey st, always packed.

The Bernie Inn on Nassau st where the porterhouse is now with Max the night club which is now Lillies.

Barnstormers in Capel st, bikers and Scooterists got on no problem, if you had a few to many they would let you bring the bike through the pub and out the back to keep over night, it moved over to Townsend st in the mid 90's.

Rices on the corner of south kings st and Grafton st where the shopping center is now, went to school with the son of the owner as kids, best birthday party's, the whole class off to the Green cinema and then back to the up stairs bar, as much as you could have.

The Pygmalion, then the William tell, now the Hairy Lemon great spot, good staff that looked after you, popped in on a Stephens day got the Christmas drinks never had to put my hand in my pocket, thanks Willie.

Blacks on Talbot st now the Celt, back in the day you could park your motorbike out the back and have 1 or 2 but when it came to closing time they would turn all the lights out for about 30 seconds and if you didn't get to the bar by the time they came back on you were fecked.

The High tide now O Riordans, great spot for a pint before heading off to a club, Bertie got a clip of a crutch there a while back.

Life bar in the Irish Life, if you wanted a quiet drink, also the Confession box, giving away all my secrets.

you've the liver of a champion! is the confession box closed? that's news to me. i can vaguely recall going on the lash with my brother a couple of days before Christmas and nearly sure our route took us in there.

you've the liver of a champion! is the confession box closed? that's news to me. i can vaguely recall going on the lash with my brother a couple of days before Christmas and nearly sure our route took us in there.

I don't know if it's closed haven't been down that neck of the woods for a while but on or off over the years they seem to make up their own hours of opening, changed it''s name about 10 years back to the Maid of Arran, heard it got a bad name during that time, so changed back to the box.

The Clifton court, Daly's and the Horse and Tram all on Eden quay, good pubs, think it was Daly's that had Stringfellow's night club downstairs in the 80's.

The Horse and Tram turned into a stripper joint in the late 90's got into the papers as the ladies wanted better wages and went on strike.

Someone mentioned Voodoo/dice bar earlier and what it was called before, that was Boss Crokers, Huey from the FLC had a hand in it, before that I think it was called The Ellery Grant.

Outside of town Scotts in Castleknock was a great spot used to be the Castleknock inn now Brady's, Bono's brother used to run it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

gugleguy wrote: »
    The Metro in Tallaght village - quite recently.

Please tell me you are joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

kitty osheas parnell street, north cumberland junction. couple of doors down from the blue lion

was a spar now a oriental shop

Wasn't there a Kitty O'Shea's near Lansdowne Road in the 1980s? I think it was here, where The Gasworks is today. It always got heaps of publicity during rugby internationals and inspired other Kitty O'Shea pubs across the world, most notably the one in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Great thread, so many good pubs are now sadly RIP. Just a few that spring to mind:

The Museum Rest in Benburb St. was burned down a couple of years ago wasn't bad.

McGraths in O'Connell St. now the site of Murrays.

The Dockers, Sir John Rogerson's Quay.

The Tenters, Blackpitts, Dublin 8.

The Quill, Aran Quay.

The Kylemore House, Dublin 12.

Noel Leonard's, Victoria Quay.

Horse & Jockey, Inchicore.

The Irish House, Grove Road, Dublin 6 (and years ago well before my time on Wood Quay).

I could go on and on but this is making me very sad. I need a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Scruffy Murphy's! It became famous when a Polish-Irish guy came on tv and said he won the lottery by using mathematics. The owner of Scruffy Murphy's was a member of the syndicate and there was a big party in the pub after. Amazing the random things you remember.

Just checked and even though I haven't heard of it since Scruffy Murphy's seems to be still open so that rules it out of this thread.

Edit: According to Reeling in the Years here (starts at 6:01), the Scruffy Murphy lottery syndicate win was in 1990. Stefan Klincewice/Klincewicz was the name of the Polish-Irish maths guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

His 'mathematics' was to buy all possible combinations.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

dats_right wrote: »
    The Museum Rest in Benburb St. was burned down a couple of years ago wasn't bad.

loved that pub,bill and his son Dave that ran it were bang on.i worked across the road from it and the boys would always shout a round (a large round at that) for us whenever there was a birthday or at Christmas time.Terrible shame,pity it wasn't mcgettigans that burnt down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I used to know one of the syndicate members from poker. The prize fund had rolled over enough for the syndicate to take a reasonable gamble. Iirc they didn't get all the number combinations, so not a 100% sure bet but the chances had improved enough. I think the Lottery added more numbers after in the form of the bonus numbers to stretch the odds a bit.

Some of the same syndicate grabbed most the Evening Heralds in Dublin one day when there was a win a house competition and won it for a tidy profit.

The mathematics involved in doing these gambles isn't exactly difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Great thread, so many good pubs are now sadly RIP. Just a few that spring to mind:

The Quill, Aran Quay.

The Irish House, Grove Road, Dublin 6 (and years ago well before my time on Wood Quay).

John Sweeney is now just a humble bar man in the Terenure Inn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Became The Fusion Bar in the 90s
    Played a gig there when I was 16
    The whole block has been redeveloped into apartments and where the bar was located is now a beauty parlor called the girls room

Brian Loughney had Kitty O Shea's, it was there until the late 90's he opened up a few around Europe Paris, Berlin, and then the USA, and the Irish bar was born.

Down beside Scruffy Murphys close to Dobbins restaurant was the Irish Bar Company which made the furniture to be flatpacked to these bars.

The Quill, Aran Quay.

The Tenters was owned by a guy who ran a courier company and also cabs back in the day.
    Bought the pub about 1992, I worked for him for a while, I think the pub was just a bit of a side line, not that important to him, ran the courier company from up stairs.

It was some kip when he bought it but he made a great job of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

That takes me back:)hereford cider if i remember correct?never had the urge to venture inside mind,90% of the clientele were elderly women.The peacock was our only option when we were not quite old enough to go anywhere else....

It was Boss cider they used to sell. Nasty stuff. It only got palatable about halfway through the second flagon. I was a regular customer at the hatch, and went inside for a drink once, but it was pretty depressing.

There used to be a pub behind the Welcome Inn on the corner of Marlborough St and that little spur that comes off Cathal Brugha St. I forget what it was called though.

Amazed that the Plough hasn't been mentioned (and Stars disco bar in the basement). They had some theatrical aspirations, hence the name. The bar downstairs was full of teenagers, while upstairs was targeting patrons of the Abbey, none of whom ever seemed tempted to venture in. I think someone ended up being killed there in one of its incarnations.

I was first served a pint in a pub (Furstenberg, and I can still taste it) in the Horse and Tram in 1990 or so. The pub that first served me alcohol in their off licence (at the ripe old age of 12) is still trading so I won't mention it but it's in the vicinity.

There was a defrocked priest who used to drink in the Neptune, but he still wore his clerical garb. Also a guy who had had his larynx removed but still smoked cigarettes through the hole in his throat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

There used to be a pub behind the Welcome Inn on the corner of Marlborough St and that little spur that comes off Cathal Brugha St. I forget what it was called though.

Was the pub called the Airways or something like that?

Dancor wrote: »
    Was the pub called the Airways or something like that?

Yes, I think you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Yes, I think you're right.

Yep it was run by a woman as far as I can remember and was a great haunt for taxi drivers

• Advertisement

Yep it was run by a woman as far as I can remember and was a great haunt for taxi drivers

Helen something owned the Airways, lived out in Clontarf.

It was Boss cider they used to sell. Nasty stuff. It only got palatable about halfway through the second flagon. I was a regular customer at the hatch, and went inside for a drink once, but it was pretty depressing.

Amazed that the Plough hasn't been mentioned (and Stars disco bar in the basement). They had some theatrical aspirations, hence the name. The bar downstairs was full of teenagers, while upstairs was targeting patrons of the Abbey, none of whom ever seemed tempted to venture in. I think someone ended up being killed there in one of its incarnations.

I was first served a pint in a pub (Furstenberg, and I can still taste it) in the Horse and Tram in 1990 or so. The pub that first served me alcohol in their off licence (at the ripe old age of 12) is still trading so I won't mention it but it's in the vicinity.

There was a defrocked priest who used to drink in the Neptune, but he still wore his clerical garb. Also a guy who had had his larynx removed but still smoked cigarettes through the hole in his throat

I remember the stabbing in the Plough, two mates had a row, one went home nearby and came back with a knife, the staff were trowing one of the two out when the other one stabbed his mate.

The Liffey bar down beside Liberty hall, frequented by well known Dublin Characters often seen in the Sunday World, one of the Door staff was shot dead about 12 years ago.

Doran's on the junction of north earl street an awl lads pub but good craic, renamed The Barry Fitzgerald, you would get a great feed upstairs for nearly nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

was airways where the peacock was ?

was airways where the peacock was ?

No, the Peacock was on the Sean McDermott St side of Marlborough St, part of the car park building. It was an Eastern European bar called Baltica last time I was there. Airways was on the O'Connell St side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

gugleguy wrote: »
    The Metro in Tallaght village - quite recently.

Hardly famous but it's not closed down, only temporary measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

The Bolton Horse, right outside Bolton Street tech. Many a class was taken there. Was blown up during my time there. Gas heater issue if I remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I wonder has the Dollymount House been mentioned? A fine pub, was sad to see it close

I wonder has the Dollymount House been mentioned? A fine pub, was sad to see it close

Yeah, used to be a "Murphy's house" so called as it sold/pushed Murphy's and Heineken during the 90s, you would find more Bar managers in there mid week being well treated, going home with goodie bags, fine big pub, you could always find a corner.

Any Northsider's remember the Barry house Finglas, rough spot, I walked in one day wearing my helmet, taking it of as I came in the door the lads at the bar jumped off their seats, I was dropping in a letter for the owner Tom Nevin, who his wife The Black Widow, later had killed.

• Advertisement

Any Northsider's remember the Barry house Finglas, rough spot, I walked in one day wearing my helmet, taking it of as I came in the door the lads at the bar jumped off their seats, I was dropping in a letter for the owner Tom Nevin, who his wife The Black Widow, later had killed.

its called an cappagh nua now,a good few shootings have happened there over the years.

Advertisement