Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Horizon Mall

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

1huge1 wrote: »
    I thought this project got canned like 6 months ago (or more), how it back in motion again?

The council refused the new revised planning permission and this was appealed to ABP. ABP overruled the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭manna452121

Anyone know about the land across the road,sold signs on the 4 sites and someone clearing the ground where the sub-station is.Some of the steel for the shopping centre was been stored in the same field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Anyone know about the land across the road,sold signs on the 4 sites and someone clearing the ground where the sub-station is.Some of the steel for the shopping centre was been stored in the same field.

Nandos and Frankie & Bennys.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Can anyone find a link on An Bord Pleanala's website for the Horizon Mall case?

power101 wrote: »
    Can anyone find a link on An Bord Pleanala's website for the Horizon Mall case?

They only have cases up to the week ending 3rd April. It won't be there until they update to the 10th April.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

How many retail units will be in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vanquished

They only have cases up to the week ending 3rd April. It won't be there until they update to the 10th April.

It's already up there. Just search for "parkway valley".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »
    How many retail units will be in it?

Too many to fill? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I don't really go into the city centre much anymore, it's a pain in the arse paying for parking, the shops aren't buggy friendly and if it's in any way rainy or cold it's just an ordeal to go around it.
    The crescent has pretty much all the same shops, is out of the weather and it's free to park, all the shops are one level and easy to get around with the babby. The one and only complaint I have is that the penneys is tiny- which is the one and only reason I go into town at all!

Anyway, my point is, they should really change the city centre into a tourist/chic/student area - forget about enticing locals as anyone with a kid is thinking like me. Town is not a practical place for families unless they do an eyre square type situation. They are going to be turning the Opera centre into an extension of UL, so they should use this opportunity and reinvent itself. Make it a younger city - more geared towards the younger person who doesn't usually have a car, doesn't care if it's raining too much, can stay out late and is fashion conscious. Vastly improve the bus routes going to city centre, set up night buses, more hostels in the area, huge garda presence to get rid of the druggie/Alco/scum bag element. I mean, look at Arthurs quay park, there was a spiegletent recently and it was surrounded by scummers and knarly looking people drinking openly - not very nice to see.
    There should be more walking tours, bus tours and museums, they've made a good start but they need more! If they invested wisely they could make something spectacular and modern of Limerick city centre and have the outlets outside the city. something for everyone.

If you have students/tourists visiting and working in these shops, living in the same area and going out in the same area, it'll become pretty much self contained.

It's a terrible shame they've cancelled on the horizon centre, it'd be geared towards a different shopper and would bring very much needed revenue and jobs to the city. I hope they reconsider.

Well, that's my two cents anyway, for whatever it's worth.

Exactly.

This is a win for the public, the developer and a schooling for the council.

Council are stuck in the 70's with little forward thinking. Heads in the council should roll.

Must always move with the times and this is what people prefer.
    Develop the city with office blocks etc, not large supermarkets. Talk about looking for a cheap and easy way out. FFS.

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    Exactly.

This is a win for the public, the developer and a schooling for the council.

Council are stuck in the 70's with little forward thinking. Heads in the council should roll.

Must always move with the times and this is what people prefer.
    Develop the city with office blocks etc, not large supermarkets. Talk about looking for a cheap and easy way out. FFS.

How is it a schooling for the council? There's is still no guarantee that this will be built. It has to be finished before August 2016, which is pretty unlikely to be possible.
    Also outside of what affect it might have on the city center, this center is simply not needed. Where do they expect to get the businesses to fill 35 units, when there's already plenty of empty units in the existing out of town centers.

Manager of the Parkway centre, Roger Beck

“it’s a very positive development, but from the point of view of the city it’s a very negative thing”. Apart from Marks & Spencer outlining their intentions to occupy one of two main anchor units, he said he has no idea who will occupy the remaining 37 retail units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

How is it a schooling for the council? There's is still no guarantee that this will be built. It has to be finished before August 2016, which is pretty unlikely to be possible.
    Also outside of what affect it might have on the city center, this center is simply not needed. Where do they expect to get the businesses to fill 35 units, when there's already plenty of empty units in the existing out of town centers.

People don't want to go into city for shopping anymore. The choice is centres like this or online. The council would do well to know which one they'd benefit most from (ok - I accept I may have to give them a clue, it's not online).

It is ambitious. No question about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

If they build a nice shopping centre with decent rent you could easily see H&M, Pull and Bear, Topman/Topshop , Starbucks, nandos, wagamama, sbarro , tgi Fridays, house of Fraser, bt2, breshka, Hollister etc... There are loads of businesses not in Limerick and some that are already in Limerick but would open more shops if there was a decent facility for it. Obviously it's easier said than done to get them in but there is also no reason it can't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Jofspring wrote: »
    If they build a nice shopping centre with decent rent you could easily see H&M, Pull and Bear, Topman/Topshop , Starbucks, nandos, wagamama, sbarro , tgi Fridays, house of Fraser, bt2, breshka, Hollister etc... There are loads of businesses not in Limerick and some that are already in Limerick but would open more shops if there was a decent facility for it. Obviously it's easier said than done to get them in but there is also no reason it can't happen.

If it turns into something like Dundrum it could spell the end of the dominance the Crescent has! I'd love if a John Lewis would open here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Jofspring wrote: »
    The food court has been omitted as far as I know. The food outlets you mentioned, especially SBarro are complete ****e.
    Hollister, house of Fraser won't open in Limerick as its too small. House of Fraser were in Limerick in a previous guise when they owned Todds, there isnt room in Limerick for a third department store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Paddico

Nandos and Frankie & Bennys.

Is someone on a time warp or is it me.
    Nandos do chicken and chips and that’s it in a nutshell.
    Very very over priced and not even decent at that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Wouldn't mind a katsu curry from wagamama though.

When they did bento boxes there was serious value in it. Chances are the accountant put a stop to it. HAha

The Taikichi restaurant on oconnell street does a version of katsu also as well as bento boxes and are nice.

The food court has been omitted as far as I know. The food outlets you mentioned, especially SBarro are complete ****e.
    Hollister, house of Fraser won't open in Limerick as its too small. House of Fraser were in Limerick in a previous guise when they owned Todds, there isnt room in Limerick for a third department store.
    Paddico wrote: »
    Is someone on a time warp or is it me.
    Nandos do chicken and chips and that’s it in a nutshell.
    Very very over priced and not even decent at that

I agree about both Nandos and Sbarro but they both do extremely well anywhere they go. A new shopping centre of the likes of dundrum will attract shoppers from Tipp, Clare, Cork, Galway and even Waterford, Kilkenny etc... The crescent already attracts people from out of town and it's not even a great shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think it's a shame to build another out of town shopping centre. The city centre is almost dead as it is. Limerick was a great place to shop in the late 80's/early 90's. I loved being able to go to all the different clothing places then have lunch in Bewleys and while I decided what to buy. Now Cruises Street is a sh*thole, complete with chuggers and scumbags.

At this rate the declining footfall will leave little incentive for places like Penneys/Debenhams or Brown Thomas to continue trading in the city. If one of those goes it'd be a disaster. I really don't see how M&S would attract major business. All their clothing and homewares can be bought online, same with John Lewis et al. I pop into the M&S in Galway when I'm down there, but there's nothing particularly special about their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Cork, Galway and even Tipperary(!!!) have a Marks and Spencer so that won't be the attraction for neighbouring counties.

Stores like Harvey Nichols, House of Fraser, etc. chose to open in South County Dublin for very good reasons. Many more retailers are the same. John Lewis will not open here.

It won't be easy to fill those units....if it happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Oh wow - this is a big deal for Limerick granting this go-ahead. By a very tight margin as per Limerick Leader article just published below. So after 30 years of rumours, Marks and Spencer will finally open in Limerick!!

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/narrow-margin-of-4-3-gave-go-ahead-to-100m-horizon-mall-1-6689446

There's no mention of marks and spencer anywhere yet really but Galway is a small store, clonmel is only a bit bigger, the Douglas one in cork is small and the city centre one is fine except for the very expensive parking.

Athlone was then just built at the wrong time. It's small and the recession meant the shopping centre still isn't great.

New bridge then is a nice shopping centre but small and the m&s is adequate for newbridge needs. They're not too far from Dublin for some proper shopping so no big names needed there but still a fine food court.

Limerick, when m&s said it, would be a big store. The crescent wasn't a go because of planning but if they were the anchor people would spend money in there.

I like m&s. I wouldn't buy everything in there but I would visit there as the anchor which means footfall for businesses also wishing to open there.

The missus says if they put in a big penneys she'll be first in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind a katsu curry from wagamama though.

When they did bento boxes there was serious value in it. Chances are the accountant put a stop to it. HAha

The Taikichi restaurant on oconnell street does a version of katsu also as well as bento boxes and are nice.

I like wagamama but their katsu is nowhere near as good as taikichi's, off topic I know but I reckon Taikichi do the best Katsu I've ever eaten, they also do a beef curry which is superb.

Sbarro is a joke, it's Pizza and pasta is so bad that I cannot comprehend in any way how they can be successful. Has anybody ever enjoyed anything from there?

Sbarro can be like McDonalds or someplace else widely known. It's comforting and a fallback when all else fails food wise offering.

It's why Sbarro are mostly in airports and shopping centres because people are comforted by a menu they know that's generally consistent in every outlet.

Chains always do well with the general populous because they're brands they can recognise quickly rather than wondering about a pop up or local restaurant.

Take Mahon point for example in cork. They had a restaurant below the food court and it changed hands and names a few times and when nandos went in they were all over it and queued out the door.

I wonder will somebody finally take over that concession building by tk maxx before the land reclaims it. If you don't know what I mean look in the window next time there's trees nearly growing in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Sbarro can be like McDonalds or someplace else widely known. It's comforting and a fallback when all else fails food wise offering.

It's why Sbarro are mostly in airports and shopping centres because people are comforted by a menu they know that's generally consistent in every outlet.

Chains always do well with the general populous because they're brands they can recognise quickly rather than wondering about a pop up or local restaurant.

Take Mahon point for example in cork. They had a restaurant below the food court and it changed hands and names a few times and when nandos went in they were all over it and queued out the door.

I wonder will somebody finally take over that concession building by tk maxx before the land reclaims it. If you don't know what I mean look in the window next time there's trees nearly growing in there.

I'd agree with you mostly, the excitement around here whenever Starbucks is mentioned is proof that people are suckers for a multinational, I had a Starbucks coffee in Dublin yesterday and it was muck as usual.
    The thing with nandos is that it is absolutely fine, it's got a bit of spice so that people think they are being adventurous but it's just chicken and chips done reasonably well, if you've ever been to crackbird on Dame street in Dublin you'd see what can be done with chicken, however most people will be frightened to go in there because of it's hipster style exterior, no such problems with Nandos.
    Sbarros on the other hand is hands down the worst Pizza joint I've ever eaten from, I really can't believe that anybody would go there twice willingly, I've been foolish enough to eat from there three times in total, the first time was even in New York City, imagine in one of the best cities in the world for Pizza you end up in there. The other two times were in Dublin Airport, there won't be a fourth time.

I also visited the mens section of M&S on Grafton street yesterday and left very unimpressed, I'll elcome it to Limerick for the food but I'm quite certain the novelty will wear off for me.
    I love the city and hoped that this wouldn't get the go ahead, at least that way there was a chance that town could get on its feet, I understand the arguments from both sides.

Ya the bottom line is the town has needed rejuvenation shops wise for nearly 10 years now. For the council to turn around now and say a new shopping centre will kill town is frankly ridiculous. They have had years to sort it out and not much has been done to really attract big companies and businesses to the city centre. How long can they expect to put off developments outside the city centre before people start to say sorry but ye have long enough to sort it out we are going ahead with new developments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Probably moot if the food court isn't featuring... but what should come to Limerick? IE what hits the right balance of decent quality and popular appeal in terms of taste and price?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Probably moot if the food court isn't featuring... but what should come to Limerick? IE what hits the right balance of decent quality and popular appeal in terms of taste and price?

It will still have a bunch of restaurants as any mall/shopping centre would have...just maybe not in a foodcourt style format. I can see Nandos, Eddie Rockets and probably Gourmet Burger Kitchen (GBK) as tenants along with Starbucks. Wagamama and Milano's too maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Vastly improve the bus routes going to city centre, set up night buses, more hostels in the area, huge garda presence to get rid of the druggie/Alco/scum bag element.

This is the main reason I hate shopping in the city centre, chuggars/beggars and now religious nut jobs make it for a very unpleasant experience. I welcome this new centre. Somewhere with security that I can park my car and shop without being harassed or rained on, prefect.

There are a lot of woeful cries of the poor city centre, no amount of "pedestrianisation" (which seems to be the cure all cry from many) will fix it. What is needed in my opinion is a crack down on the on street harassers, and the only way to do that is to increase police and actually impose fines. Is it legal for that dude to stand between the market and Cruises street and ask for "spare change"? As he is always there on the rare times I go into town it has made me avoid Cruises Street all together. Or those fake charities that sell scratch cards, why aren't they moved on? What is the legality with this and why is it put up with.
    /rant

tl/dr I am for the Horizon Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

^^ you forgot water protesters

Advertisement