Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

phog wrote: »
    A backrow from Billy, Coghlan, JOD and Shane Buckley ?

Copeland's available too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Billy will prob cover 2nd row, if he doesn't start (maybe that's why he's been at 6 for 2 weeks?) and Copeland could be 8.
    Is Amorosino still around to start/cover FB? Either him or Hurley I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So our beloved sponsors of Musgrave Park are going to report a departure from Munster tomorrow. They are hyping it on Twitter. As there's hype, realistically it's one of Earls, Zebo or Murray. Going by the talk, I have a weird feeling it's actually Earls. He is Munster through and through and one of the last players I'd expect to ever leave Munster but at his age (28) and with his injury record I wouldn't blame him for wanting to cash in on a big money deal overseas to earn as much as he can. I'm open to correction but I haven't seen anything online about contract negotiations with Earls and Munster/IRFU. Zebo and Murray have both been quoted recently about their futures. I desperately hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

So our beloved sponsors of Musgrave Park are going to report a departure from Munster tomorrow. They are hyping it on Twitter. As there's hype, realistically it's one of Earls, Zebo or Murray. Going by the talk, I have a weird feeling it's actually Earls. He is Munster through and through and one of the last players I'd expect to ever leave Munster but at his age (28) and with his injury record I wouldn't blame him for wanting to cash in on a big money deal overseas to earn as much as he can. I'm open to correction but I haven't seen anything online about contract negotiations with Earls and Munster/IRFU. Zebo and Murray have both been quoted recently about their futures. I desperately hope I'm wrong.

I really hope it's not Murray or earls, Zebo I wouldn't be as pushed about. If this does come to fruition its a shame we have to lose one of them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I will wake up tomorrow and this will all have been a bad dream. Yes. That's right. All a bad dream.

tumblr_llxerrl6L31qionpd.gif?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭budhabob

I will wake up tomorrow and this will all have been a bad dream. Yes. That's right. All a bad dream.

tumblr_llxerrl6L31qionpd.gif?w=480&h=480&fit=clip
    Ah for feck sake, what ****e news to wake up to. I wouldn't be too upset in seeing zebo go, but would be gutted to see earls leave. I hope its just contract negotiation tactics, but unfortunately nearly all rumours this year have been true.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

I hope it's not true but I can't see it not being, Earls hasn't really done contract negotiations in public before so my guess is this isca bit like Marty Moore, heads of agreement are probably signed at this stage. Huge loss to Munster & Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

Indo saying it's a 3yr deal
    Keith Earls looks set to turn down Munster's offer of a new contract and join Premiership champions Saracens on a three-year deal.

I wonder what was offered by IRFU/Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This trickle is turning into a haemorrage. Just shows it doesnt matter a whit how good the IRFU structures are, ultimately if they cant come up with serious cash and three year deals rather than one or two, we are going to loose many elite players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Ah ffs no!!! We can't afford to lose Earls

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Disappointing to read of Keith earls departure, can't blame him for doing what he thinks is best for him and his family. Once again Saracens bottomless purse is creaming off the talent and tipping the scales in their favour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

It will be sad to see Earls go (should it happen) but this was always the likely outcome with the demise of the Heineken Cup in preference of the Anglo - French cup. It is very difficult to see what the IRFU can do about it should the trend continue and intensify should the likes of Murray and Zebo depart as well as I am not sure how long a policy of only playing for Ireland if playing in Ireland could continue if the best players are all plying their trade abroad.

It will be a shame indeed more so as Saracens are a loathsome club but Earls is a professional sportsman he has to do what is right for him and his family. Lets hope the IRFU find loads of money down the back of the sofa or we get a seriously rich sugar daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

It will be sad to see Earls go (should it happen) but this was always the likely outcome with the demise of the Heineken Cup in preference of the Anglo - French cup. It is very difficult to see what the IRFU can do about it should the trend continue and intensify should the likes of Murray and Zebo depart as well as I am not sure how long a policy of only playing for Ireland if playing in Ireland could continue if the best players are all plying their trade abroad.

It will be a shame indeed more so as Saracens are a loathsome club but Earls is a professional sportsman he has to do what is right for him and his family. Lets hope the IRFU find loads of money down the back of the sofa or we get a seriously rich sugar daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

If this turns out to be true, combined with the apparent clusterf**k of the Marty Moore contract, at some point the IRFU will have to admit that what they are doing is no longer working and look at alternative options.

It's no use blaming Saracens, they're not doing anything wrong here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

The salary cap rules being broken and no sanctions, running up debts with no viable way of paying it back. The IRFU have to balance the books year on year, thats the reality. Thats why international rugby and the income it brings is so important.

The IRFU has debt on stadiums but they are capital long term investments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

If this turns out to be true, combined with the apparent clusterf**k of the Marty Moore contract, at some point the IRFU will have to admit that what they are doing is no longer working and look at alternative options.

Maybe somebody should explain to Saracens that the January transfer window only applies to soccer.

Chris Ashton will be back from his ban long before they can get Keith Earls.

I'll get me coat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

aimee1 wrote: »
    The salary cap rules being broken and no sanctions, running up debts with no viable way of paying it back. The IRFU have to balance the books year on year, thats the reality. Thats why international rugby and the income it brings is so important.

The IRFU has debt on stadiums but they are capital long term investments.

Again, Saracens are not doing anything wrong. Blaming them is utterly pointless. It's up to the IRFU to decide how to counter (or not) these developments.

I don't doubt that the world cup having come and gone has something to do with this, in the same sense that a lot of southern hemisphere players who won't play another world cup are leaving to do the same.

Earls though would strikes me as having a good international career ahead of him, albeit maybe not always as a first choice player, but certainly in the mix.

Nucifora has come on board and were seeing the worst flight of players since the beginning of the pro era. Worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Be a massive blow loosing Keith earls especially to Saracens. Anyone but them please.

Very worrying time for rugby in Ireland with a lot of departures and the rise of the Anglo French clubs.

Can't begrudge players for going off and getting a good pay cheque before they retire though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Again, Saracens are not doing anything wrong. Blaming them is utterly pointless. It's up to the IRFU to decide how to counter (or not) these developments.

I dont blame saracens, or the IRFU or Earls. But there is something wrong within the game when a club can have that level of debt, have had salary cap breaches potentially ignored and still be allowed to make signings of international quality players.

The IRFU are stuck in a really tough position. They cant counter the offers realistically, but they need the provinces to remain strong to a certain degree to maintain a strong international team to provide the income.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

With earls close links to Munster through his dad and living in the shadows of thomond park I'd be surprised to see him go and take this as contract talk to try and secure a better deal and more power to him if he succeeds .club rugby and shift of power and money has now changed though.the irfu can't compete financially and it is worrying for Irish and pro12 rugby .i hope earls stays and I think he wants to but he has a family to think of now and his and there future .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Hopefully the Earls situation is just kite-flying, but I don't see him being the kite-flying sort. If Earls is off, its for genuine reasons beyond a bit more change in his pocket.

It would be an absolute hammer blow for Munster and Irish rugby. He has probably been my favourite player ever since his inspired St. Munchins' senior cup win 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Hopefully the Earls situation is just kite-flying, but I don't see him being the kite-flying sort. If Earls is off, its for genuine reasons beyond a bit more change in his pocket.

It would be an absolute hammer blow for Munster and Irish rugby. He has probably been my favourite player ever since his inspired St. Munchins' senior cup win 10 years ago.

Only a few weeks ago, during the J Cronin 'scare', Earls was quoted by the 42 as saying he'll negotiate his contracts in offices - not in newspapers. He said it much better than I did.
    I don't know if I'd believe the Indo for anything other than the day of the week, seeing as they run with any story to generate buzz with less regard for truth.

Earls has a young family and moving everyone to London would be a big and stressful move. He is guaranteed a starting spot with Munster and has a good chance to play International rugby by staying. He's 28, so should have another 5 years worth of juice in him.

I think it's just the media having nothing better to do on a Mon night/Tues morning. I think Earls will stay but I've no doubt there has been interest from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think it's just the media having nothing better to do on a Mon night/Tues morning. I think Earls will stay but I've no doubt there has been interest from abroad.

Well Tommy Bowe was way off wishing him all the best on national radio this morning.

I just read the bones of the TB interview and it reads worse than it would have sounded. Nothing is confirmed yet.

Adds:and I suppose Tommy wouldn't mind less competition for the Int. wing position...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well actually, they are. They are breaking their own league rules (which they signed up for) on salary caps, which is allowing them to sign more and better players than they should be able to afford. In addition, the inability/unwillingness of PRL to do anything about it is impacting on other clubs' and provinces' ability to retain their best players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

I just read the bones of the TB interview and it reads worse than it would have sounded. Nothing is confirmed yet.

Adds:and I suppose Tommy wouldn't mind less competition for the Int. wing position...

What I feared for years looks like its coming to fruition. Smaller teams will always suffer when the big boys come calling with cash. We've seen it in football across the pond, the big fish get the best players.... There's nothing in the wide world in place stopping Munster getting asset stripped.
    It's quite likely we could lose, Earls, Zebo, Murray to big money bids soon..... Absolutely terrifying for me as a Munster supporter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement