Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

HOOKERS

Mike Sherry 2018
    Duncan Casey 2016
    Niall Scannell 2017
    Kevin O'Byrne 2016

PROPS

James Cronin 2019
    Dave Kilcoyne 2017
    Peter McCabe 2016

BJ Botha 2016
    Stephen Archer 2018
    John Ryan 2019
    Mario Sagario 2016

Niall Horan Year 3
    Rory Burke Year 3

Brian Scott Year 2
    Liam O'Connor Year 1
    JP Phelan Year 1

LOCKS

Mark Chisholm 2017
    Donnacha Ryan 2017
    Dave Foley 2017
    Billy Holland 2016

Sean McCarthy Year 3
    John Madigan Year 3

Darragh Moloney Year 2

FLANKERS

Peter O'Mahony 2018
    Dave O'Callaghan 2018
    Tommy O'Donnell 2019
    Shane Buckley 2016
    Jordan Coghlan 2016

Conor Oliver Year 1
    Ben Kilkenny Year 1
    Ollie Lyons Year 1

NUMBER EIGHTS

Robin Copeland 2018
    CJ Stander 2018
    Jack O'Donoghue 2018

SCRUM-HALVES

Conor Murray 2016
    Cathal Sheridan 2016

Duncan Williams 2017
    Tomas O'Leary 2017

Jack Cullen Year 3
    Ryan Foley Year 2

FLY-HALVES

Ian Keatley 2017
    Tyler Bleyendall 2017
    Johnny Holland 2017
    Rory Scannell 2018

Gearoid Lyons Year 2
    Tómas Quinlan Year 1
    Bill Johnston Year 1

CENTRES

Cian Bohane 2017
    Denis Hurley 2016
    Francis Saili 2017
    David Johnston 2018

Dan Goggin Year 2
    Ned Hodson Year 1

WINGERS

Simon Zebo 2016
    Keith Earls 2016
    Gerhard Van Den Heever 2016

Andrew Conway 2018
    Ronan O'Mahony 2017
    Darren Sweetnam 2017

Alex Wootton Year 3
    Greg O'Shea Year 3

Steven McMahon Year 1

FULLBACKS

Stephen Fitzgerald Year 2

Munster:
    Simon Zebo, Keith Earls, Francis Saili, Rory Scannell, Ronan O'Mahony; Ian Keatley, Conor Murray;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Mike Sherry, John Ryan; Dave Foley, Donnacha Ryan; Billy Holland, Tommy O'Donnell, CJ Stander Capt.

Replacements:
    Niall Scannell, James Cronin, Mario Sagario, Mark Chisholm, Robin Copeland, Jack O'Donoghue, Tomás O'Leary, Gerhard van den Heever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Throwing caution to the wind.

Buer wrote: »
    Throwing caution to the wind.

I hope this doesn't mean a weaker team will be sent to Zebre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Foley ultra conservative as always, good chance to give Scannell and O'Donoghue some game time instead he's playing the first 15 in a dead rubber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

case885 wrote: »
    Foley ultra conservative as always, good chance to give Scannell and O'Donoghue some game time instead he's playing the first 15 in a dead rubber.

Munster can technically still qualify for the QFs. Can you imagine if the other games went Munsters way but they failed to get the 5 points because of the selection? There'd be war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

case885 wrote: »

I wouldn't call it a dead rubber as Munster are technically still in the competition.

Ignoring that technicality, of course Munster should be playing their strongest side. Munster need to breath some form and confidence back into the side and the way to do that is through winning games, and winning games well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I hope this doesn't mean a weaker team will be sent to Zebre.

6 of the starting 15 and Cronin will be in camp with Ireland next week. Plus 13 Zebre players will be in camp with Italy. It's weakened teams all around for the next 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

molloyjh wrote:
    Munster can technically still qualify for the QFs. Can you imagine if the other games went Munsters way but they failed to get the 5 points because of the selection? There'd be war.

I'll happily eat my words if all the permutations for Munster to go through happen but I can't see it happening.
    Now that's not to say we still can't get a tbp against Treviso with Scannell and O'Donoghue in the team, I think we could still achieve that while giving a few young promising players a start.

6 of the starting 15 and Cronin will be in camp with Ireland next week. Plus 13 Zebre players will be in camp with Italy. It's weakened teams all around for the next 8 weeks.

I hear you. I just hope the players not in camp next week aren't rested next week.

• Advertisement

Regardless of the miracle Munster need to qualify, if they can't beat the worst team in Europe whilst resting a few lads and blooding a few others, Foley should walk on the spot.

Treviso are an appalling side. Munster should breeze past them whilst giving time to 3 or 4 younger players. He has even gone with a full strength bench. It speaks more to how much Foley is letting the pressure affect him more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Regardless of the miracle Munster need to qualify, if they can't beat the worst team in Europe whilst resting a few lads and blooding a few others, Foley should walk on the spot.

Treviso are an appalling side. Munster should breeze past them whilst giving time to 3 or 4 younger players. He has even gone with a full strength bench. It speaks more to how much Foley is letting the pressure affect him more than anything.

Its probably more to do with the A team also playing this weekend in B&I Cup. Full squad needed to field 2 teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

jm08 wrote: »
    Its probably more to do with the A team also playing this weekend in B&I Cup. Full squad needed to field 2 teams.

You still need the same number of players.

Whoever you drop from the seniors plays for the As. Job done, if the coach was so inclined.

You still need the same number of players.

Whoever you drop from the seniors plays for the As. Job done, if the coach was so inclined.

Better for the younger player development to play in a game that actually means something without parachuting in a load of senior players.

jm08 wrote: »

That must be it alright.

JOD and Scannell must be on the bench in case they're needed for the B&I Cup game that's being played the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so what needs to happen for us to qualify for the QFs. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

PTH2009 wrote: »
    so what needs to happen for us to qualify for the QFs. ???

All the underdogs need to win by more than 7 points while not getting a winning bonus point, and Leicester have to lose to stad

Oh and we need to beat treviso and then have enough money to hire the lawyers from 'making a Murderer' to defend us against the match fixing allegations that will inevitably follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Akrasia wrote: »
    All the underdogs need to win by more than 7 points while not getting a winning bonus point, and Leicester have to lose to stad

No, Munster need Leicester to win and Stade not to even get a losing bonus point (at home).

And then a load of other results have to go their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not going to happen I guess.

• Advertisement

No, Munster need Leicester to win and Stade not to even get a losing bonus point (at home).

Sorry, yeah I got that backwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

It's not like it matters anyway, more chance of a lifelong Munster fan buying a Leinster season ticket!!

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    It's not like it matters anyway, more chance of a lifelong Munster fan buying a Leinster season ticket!!

Uh...yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Uh...yeah

;)
    Was wondering how long it would take ya :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just two others

Lanelli to beat Saints with Saints getting no more than 1 bps, this game is in Lanelli
    Leinster to beat Wasps, with Wasps getting no bps

Munster could do with running up a big score too as the deciding factor for teams on the same points is points difference with
    Munster -5
    Saints -11
    Wasps +73

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

That must be it alright.

JOD and Scannell must be on the bench in case they're needed for the B&I Cup game that's being played the day before.

Treviso will be eyeing Munster as their best chance for a win in the ERC - no Team will be quaking in their boots to play us, so we have to start with the strongest and secure it from the earliest. The confidence of younger players will be improved more by coming on in a game that we are controlling, than one where we are playing catch-up or even trying to find some rhythm. I'd like to see some younger lads getting exposure but very few of them are realistically at the level required. There is a big step up from the A's to the Senior squad; especially when playing against a Team that has Internationally experienced players in it.

I expect Treviso to throw everything at us and I wouldn't underestimate what they're willing to do to win.

That must be it alright.

Thats right - parachute last year's A captain in and drop this year's captain :(

Jack O'Donoghue is not in Munster's A squad this year. He was captain last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Oh and we need to beat treviso and then have enough money to hire the lawyers from 'making a Murderer' to defend us against the match fixing allegations that will inevitably follow

and then hope we have enough left to hire better lawyers you can win the case...

/controversial

/no spoilers?

/what thread is this again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement