Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Predator (reboot)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

They are making a new AVP ???

or you mean when comparing current versions after release ?

I mean this in comparison to the Avp movies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I liked the idea of a predator sequel where the son of the original predator comes back to avenge the death of his father at arnie's hands (they are a proud warrior race after all). Maybe he kidnaps Arnie and drops him back in a jungle to be hunted with some new cast members.

Or else the US government captures a predator and studies it, but a rescue mission of a sh*tload of predators is dispatched to rescue him, and the government call in Arnie as a special advisor to take them on (and not Danny Glover!)...I haven't thought it through too much, I just want Arnie back in it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I liked the idea of a predator sequel where the son of the original predator comes back to avenge the death of his father at arnie's hands (they are a proud warrior race after all). Maybe he kidnaps Arnie and drops him back in a jungle to be hunted with some new cast members.

Or else the US government captures a predator and studies it, but a rescue mission of a sh*tload of predators is dispatched to rescue him, and the government call in Arnie as a special advisor to take them on (and not Danny Glover!)...I haven't thought it through too much, I just want Arnie back in it :P

Predator vs Terminator is what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

dan1895 wrote: »
    Predator vs Terminator is what your looking for.

Well this would make him splooge all over the screen,,,

AvPvtT.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What I'd like to see is a Predator moving to Earth to raise his son as a single parent and then two Xenomorphs move next door were together they strike up an odd couple relationship and have zany adventures together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What I'd like to see is a Predator moving to Earth to raise his son as a single parent and then two Xenomorphs move next door were together they strike up an odd couple relationship and have zany adventures together.

And the Terminator is their grouchy downstairs neighbour that keeps hammering on the roof with a broom....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Starring Walter Matthau and Jack Lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I never realised Predator 2 was so poorly received until recently when I looked up the ratings online. To be it was a decent 90s action movie when I watched it as a 9/10 yr old and remained the same in my mind since

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Was this actually in the movie? I don’t remember the family connection with the predator in arnies movie?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

mloc123 wrote: »
    I never realised Predator 2 was so poorly received until recently when I looked up the ratings online. To be it was a decent 90s action movie when I watched it as a 9/10 yr old and remained the same in my mind since

I watched it about 2 years ago and for me it was still great. Very different in tone to 1, but excellent all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Someone did a web comic for a few years along a similar theme
    It was quite enjoyable at times

http://alienlovespredator.com/2004/10/12/unavoidable-delay/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I re-watched Predator 2 on Film 4 recently, for the first time since I was a kid and it is completely daft. I know there are still terrible scripts getting made but the plot and logic to the events happening in the film are completely random and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

First predator in my mind is the greatest action movie ever made,
    It's very simply but just works brilliantly, The whole not knowing what they are fighting makes it amazing you really only see the Predator properly for the final battle,
    I think a problem is how cool the Predator looks that they actually get to much air time in the following movies, It takes away from the scary aspect of the good guys having no idea who or what is hunting them ,
    Again because of the brilliance of the first movie every one after is compared to it and just can't stand up to the original ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

First predator in my mind is the greatest action movie ever made,

Nah that's DIE HARD.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Nah that's DIE HARD.

Die Hard is a Christmas film, not a real action film.

Predator is one of the stupidest films ever made. The characters are paper thin, the plot is almost non existent. But it's brilliant. It works because of the tension of the unknown.

I watched it on Saturday night, for about the 100th time, it's an absolute master piece of an action film.

The one liners:

"He's dug in like an Alabama tick"
    "I ain't got time to bleed!"
    "This will turn you into a god damn sexual tyrannosaurus"

And that's just Jesse Ventura. Arnie actually has the 2nd best lines in the film.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

BILLY:  I'm scared Poncho
    Poncho : BULL**** , you ain't afraid of no man,
    Billy : There's something out there waiting for us and it ain't no man, We are all going to die .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only now got to watch the trailer, and insofar as one can judge from a teaser, I actually liked it. I didn't hate it anyway.

Let's face it, the Predator as a concept has very little complexity beyond "alien honour hunters with a memorable monster design". If the creature looked like it was originally supposed to (the costume worn by Jean Claude VanDamme of all people), I doubt very much the film would have lived as long in memory.

I could see how a hunter species might want to splice in some genetic advantages from other races, so it doesn't feel like a major change to the mythology. Plus, if Shane Black brings some of his trademark character writing skills, it'll immediately elevate all the scenes the Predator isn't on-screen.

2010's Predators suffered from being TOO slavishly admiring of the original film, inviting constant comparison, while the AvP franchise were just fan-films gussied up as theatrical releases (though '...Requiem' was so bad it retroactively made the first AvP better on rewatch). Predator 2 is arguably the strongest sequel, if only because it had the good sense to just go for broke, turning the dial up on everything. It's utterly stupid but leans into that stupidity, resulting in an entertaining 'exploitation' film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

BILLY:  I'm scared Poncho
    Poncho : BULL**** , you ain't afraid of no man,
    Billy : There's something out there waiting for us and it ain't no man, We are all going to die .

"mans losin' his cool .... just a couple of guys out there and we gotta take 'em out"...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

There are plenty of (serious) videos on youtube about the secret war between Predators and Engineers. Some fanboy got a 3" boner from your post no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Have never understood the hate for Predator 2 (or Die Hard 2 for that matter). The fact is, both films just suffer in comparison to their timeless originals. Both are really good flicks in their own right. People here are complaining that Predator 2 is "unrealistic"?? It's a movie about an Alien killing machine who comes to earth and hunts for sport - how much realism were you expecting?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Have never understood the hate for Predator 2 (or Die Hard 2 for that matter). The fact is, both films just suffer in comparison to their timeless originals. Both are really good flicks in their own right. People here are complaining that Predator 2 is "unrealistic"?? It's a movie about an Alien killing machine who comes to earth and hunts for sport - how much realism were you expecting?? :confused:

You mean its not a documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Maybe because Danny Glover moves at the speed of a freighter, that was always my biggest gripe with Predator 2 and that was even as a kid watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Brian? wrote: »
    Die Hard is a Christmas film, not a real action film.

Predator is one of the stupidest films ever made. The characters are paper thin, the plot is almost non existent. But it's brilliant. It works because of the tension of the unknown.

I watched it on Saturday night, for about the 100th time, it's an absolute master piece of an action film.

The one liners:

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
    "This will turn you into a god damn sexual tyrannosaurus"

And that's just Jesse Ventura. Arnie actually has the 2nd best lines in the film.

I always loved “Stick Around”.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Brian? wrote: »

Back in my youth I always thought the line was "like an Alabama chicken" :pac: which looking back now makes absolutely no sense :o
    Apparently the Polish subtitles for this line translate to "like a mole in a hole" ...as we found out one drunken night where we decided to watch it after a few beers and stick on the oul Polish subtitles for the benefit of a Polish friend of ours only to repeatably ask him to directly translate all the one liners for us to see if they matched what was being said in English.

Maybe put a new slant on the Predator franchise. New movie: the sexual predator. He's an invisible pervert than swings from tree to tree touching people inappropriately :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Maybe put a new slant on the Predator franchise. New movie: the sexual predator. He's an invisible pervert than swings from tree to tree touching people inappropriately :P

starring Morgan Freeman & kevin Spacey, produced by the weinstien company.

Brilliant. Lets greenlight it and get Arnie back with updated dialogue... "if it ejaculates, we can kill it"!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Space Alien! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

2 predators?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

As I watched it, I was trying to figure how they are blending this as the film between Predator 2 and Predators.

Have a new type of Predator feels right.

I started to wonder if the humans give them enough of a fight back that it turns out we are the reason for the idea of evolving Predators turn up in.. Predators (the film).

Maybe the new one is one we genetically messed around with given that it looks to be fighting off the other predator.

Advertisement