Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I wouldn't rate those Console Goods cables at all, if you open them up they look like something you'd buy from AliExpress for a dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I wouldn't rate those Console Goods cables at all, if you open them up they look like something you'd buy from AliExpress for a dollar.

Yeah, I got a few and they are junk. Not sure why everyone goes on about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Doge

Been saying for ages that the Retro Computer Shack cables piss all over Console Goods.

https://www.retrocomputershack.com

And they're definitely custom made as I had them build a really short cable to connect my 1541 Ultimate II to my c64's disk drive port. Everything from the connectors to the insulation used is really high quality and I love the labels they put on them.

It's just a shame he doesn't make any Nintendo cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,967 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Doge wrote: »
    Been saying for ages that the Retro Computer Shack cables piss all over Console Goods.

https://www.retrocomputershack.com

And they're definitely custom made as I had them build a really short cable to connect my 1541 Ultimate II to my c64's disk drive port. Everything from the connectors to the insulation used is really high quality and I love the labels they put on them.

It's just a shame he doesn't make any Nintendo cables.

Great cables, I have one for my Spectrum toast rack.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got one, an RGB cable for my Jaguar, so I can play AvP.... #notadoomclone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I got one, an RGB cable for my Jaguar, so I can play AvP.... #notadoomclone

I bought an official Jag RGB cable years back, if I remember correctly it cost a small fortune.

I don't usually post new gets these days. But seeing as this came from one of the regulars here, why not :)

Still sealed and unopened original Xbox.

GXYrIki.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭Inviere

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Still sealed and unopened original Xbox.

Nice :) Is there any way to identify the mainboard from outside of the box (I think the serial number number might be displayed)? If it's a 1.6, happy days. If it's a 1.5 or below, the capacitor for the clock might need to be removed lest it ruin the board. Then, if it's staying sealed, who cares I guess :D

Master of the Universe

Oooh that's minty!

Inviere wrote: »
    Nice :) Is there any way to identify the mainboard from outside of the box (I think the serial number number might be displayed)? If it's a 1.6, happy days. If it's a 1.5 or below, the capacitor for the clock might need to be removed lest it ruin the board. Then, if it's staying sealed, who cares I guess :D

MFG. DATE: 2005-08-10
    I'd say it's a 1.6 or 1.6b judging by the date.

• Advertisement

It's alive!
    rUD6Jd2.jpg

And a 1.6 (5838 is 1.6)
    VQxx92Y.jpg

I'll test it out, play my test audio cd(Burn:Cycle Audio disc) on it fully and then power it off and box it away for a year or two before testing again. Glad its alive, but i have a modded crystal xbox anyway(although i think that might be dead).

sugarman wrote: »
    Can I ask why open it if you're not going to be playing it? Theres hundreds of minty open box examples for small money out there, not so many factory sealed units. Which are already fetching decent money.

I wouldn't have it in me to open it.

I picked up a boxed 1.6 in a charity shop awhile ago for a tenner with a handful of games.

I’ve so many sealed games and consoles in my collection it’s nice to open one every so often(really nice actually). In this case it wasn’t expensive or rare and I was curious to see if it was alive or not :) Plus it’s very enjoyable to open these things years after they came out, even though the Xbox isn’t old compared to a proper retro system.

I’ve got some still sealed Commodore 64 systems and I’ll be unboxing one of them this week. That’s a harder choice than the Xbox for sure :)

Master of the Universe

dangersofaddiction.png

You should really consider making unboxing videos

Wince...

Sealed games I kinda get, it wouldn't be my cup of tea but I do understand people wanting to preserve a piece of history. Sealed consoles are a tiny bit different, the thoughts of leaking caps going unseen mean you're kinda risking having a broken, non working console in a shiny box :o

Master of the Universe

Sealed games I kinda get, it wouldn't be my cup of tea but I do understand people wanting to preserve a piece of history. Sealed consoles are a tiny bit different, the thoughts of leaking caps going unseen mean you're kinda risking having a broken, non working console in a shiny box :o

Entropy man, entropy. If you don't open things and damage them through use, the laws of physics will happily destroy them instead :D

I always quite liked the idea of having a sealed Snes and Megadrive. Just something lovely about their box art and knowing they're complete unspoiled packages.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Entropy man, entropy. If you don't open things and damage them through use, the laws of physics will happily destroy them instead :D

It's true :D
    I always quite liked the idea of having a sealed Snes and Megadrive. Just something lovely about their box art and knowing they're complete unspoiled packages.

I'm very much the same, it's the 'unspoiled' bit though that's in doubt. Something so nice about having a bit of the 90's perfectly sealed up and safe forever...

Master of the Universe

It's true :D

I'm very much the same, it's the 'unspoiled' bit though that's in doubt. Something so nice about having a bit of the 90's perfectly sealed up and safe forever...

Schrodinger's Boxed Snes, it simultaneously contains both a spoiled and unspoiled console. :D

You try find that anywhere else.

I'll pass :D

I take a good few pics for sure and maybe a video. But I wouldn't be into doing unboxing vids. It's more for my own records and maybe a future post if I ever get properly active again on my retro website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I take a good few pics for sure and maybe a video. But I wouldn't be into doing unboxing vids. It's more for my own records and maybe a future post if I ever get properly active again on my retro website.

I'm glad you got up and running okay Steve. I knew from the manufacturing date it was a later revision but it's nice to know it actually fired up without any issues.

I'm glad you got up and running okay Steve. I knew from the manufacturing date it was a later revision but it's nice to know it actually fired up without any issues.

Yeah, worked without issue. Thanks again for a very fair price.

Two small pickups this week, the excellent Skitchin and a little Bloodborne Hunter.
    The manual to Skitchin is very cringey, definitely a product of its time:D
    IrsVlKXh.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loved the MD Road Rash games and they did a great job of hiding the engines limitations.
    Sadly, no such efforts were apparent with Skitchin, which was awful, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Have wanted punch-out for a while, can't wait to smash Tyson.

IMAG0042.jpg

Oooh, Gradius!
    Love that game on the NES/Famicom though the sequel is just incredible, along with Parodius it's hard to see how they squeezed them onto the 8bit system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Outbid on a few on eBay recently and they weren't even complete. Saw The Rage posting they had them so I popped in as I had credit. Happy that it's complete :)

LHBOQ9e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Not retro itself but somewhat related. Never done any capture stuff before and wanted to see how cheaply I could do it.

Got an easycap, a male-male AV cable and some splitters for a grand total of €9.20.

IMAG0044.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

accensi0n wrote: »
    Not retro itself but somewhat related. Never done any capture stuff before and wanted to see how cheaply I could do it.

Got an easycap, a male-male AV cable and some splitters for a grand total of €9.20.

IMAG0044.jpg

Don't know how much processing/editing you do, but Handbrake will encode to MP4 and automatically remove any black borders on the video to save you cropping the video in editing software. Great piece of free software for converting videos for anyone looking :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

[Forgot to upload this on Thursday]

Birthday pressie from the O.H.

7KyVMuu.jpg

Yzjrx7p.jpg

Now I have both of 'em :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement