Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wonder when we'll reach peak 'gaming coffee table book'? My own coffee table is verging on collapse at this stage!

When it comes with a set of legs and can be used both as a high quality visual record of Wonderswan dating sims and as an actual coffee table.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Doge

Is there that much vertical shmups and arcade games for the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭Inviere

Doge wrote: »
    Is there that much vertical shmups and arcade games for the switch?

Natively, I’m not aware of any yet. Dying for Atmosphere to be released though, because once Retroarch hits it’s going to be a sweet little emulation device. Vertical shmups galore!

Well this sucks!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-virtual-console-isnt-happening/1100-6458803/

I'd imagine the library is fairly limited because of this.

Well this sucks!

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-virtual-console-isnt-happening/1100-6458803/

I'd imagine the library is fairly limited because of this.

That’s ancient, from May, not that much has changed mind. I get the impression the VC when it lands on Switch will be a very different model to what we’ve seen before. Shame, the VC was one of the things I feel Nintendo got very right, pricing model notwithstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That news has been twisted and reposted all over the place.
    Technically it's right but it's been turned into the regular old Neg-tendo click bait.

Nintendo have retired the Virtual Console brand.
    They have every intention of exploiting their back catalogue of classics.
    These will be released under a new system, which has yet to be announced, but will possibly have a subscriber dimension, who knows.
    Looking at the NES/Famicom titles coming via the new online service, new facilities such as online play/leaderboards could be included rather than straight emulation of the classics, not dissimilar to the NeoGeo/Psikyo titles already appearing on the eshop.
    So, no issues, just a wait to see what Nintendo intend to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo has confirmed that Virtual Console will not return on Switch.
    In a statement to GameSpot, the company said, "There are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems."

So pretty much garbage reporting. Having a company say they have no plans isn't a definitive no, especially Nintendo. No plans means we aren't tell you what we are doing. Nintendo have used this before and announced the opposite weeks apart before.

I really don't believe Nintendo isn't looking at the sales of Hamster's arcade ports and not thinking they could get a bit of that action. I do think the subscription model will be their way forward with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Looked at that Master System book again. Ugh, really want to get it. 300 pages!

I picked this up on behalf of the GF as a present for myself. I don't plan on collecting much for this as this is more to complete my collection of Sega consoles as I'm not much of an 8-bit gamer, I'm glad I got the Model 1 though. Box is a little beat up on the left due to some sort of spill so I taped it up.

EDIT: So the AC adaptor is EU so I had to scramble to find an adaptor. Powers on but no picture, thought it was my Scart adaptor so tried another TV and same issue. Signal is detected on the TV but nothing shows up. I have a Mega Drive 2 so can't try those cables. Looks like I'll have to bring it back and get them to try new cables.

hHlUrcn.jpg

arSvu8T.jpg

826VQr9.jpg

PKUW1SZ.jpg

Can you try it with the RF output and tune it into the TV?

• Advertisement

Can you try it with the RF output and tune it into the TV?

No RF output on this model which is strange. The back ports are labelled in French so I presume that has something to do with it.

So my Nuts&Milk, cart only, was on my desk this morning....

hqdefault.jpg

As well as Moero Twinbee, with everything, including sleeve, lovely manual, standard clear case and a clear cover over that again.

15704535-1.1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

DaveyDave wrote: »
    No RF output on this model which is strange. The back ports are labelled in French so I presume that has something to do with it.

Is it a French console by any chance?

MrVestek wrote: »
    Is it a French console by any chance?

Given the French on the back and the French Sega RGB box I presume so :P Is that an issue? I've left it in with them so they'll crack it open and check the solders and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Given the French on the back and the French Sega RGB box I presume so :P Is that an issue? I've left it in with them so they'll crack it open and check the solders and such.

That's probably the issue then... it's broadcasting in SECAM which your TV probably isn't compatible with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty sure the master system outputs rgb scary. If you get a proper rgb scary cable and not a crappy converter it will work.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty sure the master system outputs rgb scary. If you get a proper rgb scary cable and not a crappy converter it will work.

Those scary cables are the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I tried a scary cable before and was never the same again.

I'd rather play P.T. alone in an abandoned warehouse, than use a scary cable.

I heard Deadpool 2 was going to feature a scary cable, but the studio wouldn't let them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Picked up a NES Mini classic finally. Gamestop have them for €24.99 when you trade in a game on their trade-in list so Elite Dangerous and 25 quid is probably the right price for something I'll probably only ever hook up once or twice.

Obligatory new cable comparison. Not as much of an improvement as the Mega Drive of course, but clearer resolution and less colour bleed make the world of difference. Harder to capture on photos this time around but better in person. The smaller text doesn't look great up close but is much more legible at couch distance.

EcLQozb.jpg

LCw9ggY.jpg

The Dreamcast cable didn't play nice. Works fine on the living room TV and is nice and crisp. Shame because I think the Dreamcast was worse than the Saturn...

SjGuYUL.jpg

Feck it anyway,
    The Famicom cart Nuts&Milk works fine on the Twin but Moero Twinbee gives a err27 message.
    This could be a couple of things but hopefully it's a grubby read head.
    Nintendo's own FDD media are more robust but 3rd party like the Konami title apparently susceptible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Feck it anyway,
    The Famicom cart Nuts&Milk works fine on the Twin but Moero Twinbee gives a err27 message.
    This could be a couple of things but hopefully it's a grubby read head.
    Nintendo's own FDD media are more robust but 3rd party like the Konami title apparently susceptible.

This (and other sites) suggest the drive belt could do with replacing rather than just a head clean...which isn't a bad idea when your replacing the belt right?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    This (and other sites) suggest the drive belt could do with replacing rather than just a head clean...which isn't a bad idea when your replacing the belt right?

I thought it haaad it's drive belt already replaced....

A look, it's a glorified rubber band, I'll order a couple and you can do it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭accensi0n

New NES game. Partly decided to get this because I've been playing a lot of pool recently. :)

Really like the case it came with, don't have one like it. Looks like a rental case.
    It's the first PAL A AUS cart I've gotten as well.

IMAG0002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    My auld lad just reminded me I had one in their house the other day, must grab it. Its just a dumb terminal with a modem. It can be adapted to become a serial terminal device should it have a DIN style connector on the rear I believe. Should you connect it up to a phone line (like I did when I got it many many years ago), it dials France :) found that out after a phone bill came in with a 'who called France?!' shout

Just as I was doing a large clear out, the door bell goes and this was handed (back) to me;
    455915.png
    Now...what to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I got a voucher code from Insert Coin and picked these up (not that I need more tees but they were on sale too)
    DiOA_WQXkAEWfRC?format=jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

soooo... Freecycle ad in galway.
    Already stripped & actually in better conditions than my other one. No monitor but I got a spare one already that'll fit perfect.
    Going to put my Bomb Jack pcb in this one.

37232377_10156556335098276_849344106499932160_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c81cf1571174fd8d9a322ff9ef8e93cb&oe=5BD95806

• Advertisement

In order to make up for my selling of the Nuon and infinite sadness for not buying it back... yes, I know, I know... Jeff Minter has finally released Tempest 4000!
    Today!

Woohoo!

Only found out as his upcoming release of The Minotaur Arcade Vol.1 was flagged on my Youtube app and someone on that chat thread mentioned T4K being released today.

Immediately went to the PS Store and bought it, €29.99 but it's worth it, downloaded too to the PS4 so it'll be waiting for me when I get home!

I had bought the physical copy from Amazon.com but cancelled it, the digital version will do until the EU edition drops next month, and I'll pick it up then.

I'm still hoping for a Switch edition, certainly I think his games would work a treat on the console.

One odd thing though, given that Polybius works so well in VR, no VR mode announced for T4K yet :(
    I would have thought it would have been a certainty, perhaps later as a update...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement