Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone ever hear of a failed flat panel technology called SED?

In simple terms, it was made up of tiny CRTs.

In a general sense, an SED consists of a matrix of tiny cathode ray tubes, each "tube" forming a single sub-pixel on the screen, grouped in threes to form red-green-blue (RGB) pixels. SEDs combine the advantages of CRTs, namely their high contrast ratios, wide viewing angles and very fast response times, with the packaging advantages of LCD and other flat panel displays. They also use much less power than an LCD television of the same size.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display

Real shame nothing came of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anyone ever hear of a failed flat panel technology called SED?

Fascinating, never heard of them. Sounds like a real shame that LCD won out over these

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Inviere

sugarman wrote: »
    I'll probably get shot for saying it, but Im starting to actually prefer PC emulation for PS2 gaming these days. It just looks so much better upscaled to 4k on a modern LCD and runs/loads much smoother and quicker. Ive only come across a handful of games suffering from glitches and framerate issues, but they werent great on real hardware to begin with.

When it was just me I'm sure it was mildly annoying, but now there's two of us....:D

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Fascinating, never heard of them. Sounds like a real shame that LCD won out over these

Yeah it's crazy to think what might have been. Literally electrons hitting phosphors like a CRT - light generated on the screen rather than backlit LCD. Proper blacks because of that. Zero lag. Makes you wonder what the image would have been like for 240p content!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭geotrig

heres another one for you
    http://www.sonyinsider.com/2008/11/19/sony-shows-off-gran-turismo-5-at-240fps-on-a-fed-display/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-emission_display

lcd /plasma was already "in" at this point and relatively cheap ,well lcd anyway ,plasma was on the downward due to costs of manufacturing as well. I think oled was seen at the time as being the future and less expensive to make eventually with just the longevity factor to sort out.

I think sony showed a SED TV eleswhere also but cant remember or links are long dead maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Inviere wrote: »
    Wasn't the PAL 60GB model software emulation based, while the NTSC one was actually hardware based?

Yeah it was, I forgot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I was moving a few bits from storage to the new house today and found this. I've no memory of buying or trading for it :) It's a speccy I had on my list to buy as well as I thought I didn't have one.
    No outer cardboard though :0/

U2jG0sS.jpg

GEpeAHl.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A 48k plus, very nice.
    Great find!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Unusual to get that power supply with a plus, wonder if yours was a rubber key originally that was upgraded. Always nice to find random spectrums anyway!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Haha great find, could probably get a repro box if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

fpGwZvp.jpg?1

Zk7JkaB.jpg

YaPodJh.jpg

Enjoying collecting for the Super Famicom with SNES prices reaching Dublin property rates!

It looks brand new -- wouldn't be surprised if it was played only a hand full of times. Paid around 12.80 with shipping costing 10. It was 2.80 before shipping! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Great game that has a great fan translation.

You'll find most Japanese games are pristine. It seems to be their culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭geotrig

or manky like anywhere else !:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I backed the Master System compendium, won't have it until February though but that gives me time to finish some other books I have :)

I think it's about £2,000 shy of £100k for the slipcase though which is a shame because it would be a nice addition.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Picked this up off Mozie last week who did an amazing job on it, a Jamma converted Dino King. My daughter has claimed it, perfect size and colour in fairness! Ive a full house now for sure, id have to sell to get anything else!

1.jpg

2.jpg

So glad it's gone to a good home and getting plenty of play.. Hope you and your daughter get many hours of enjoyment from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That looks amazing Mozie, nice job

Look what crawled into my kitchen !!

JqPIkzr.jpg
    Needs a lot of work,displays out and not flipping.
    Unfortunately the backglass is long smashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

Look what crawled into my kitchen !!

JqPIkzr.jpg
    Needs a lot of work,displays out and not flipping.
    Unfortunately the backglass is long smashed.

Time to get the (brown) finger out!

Ohhh nice get

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Where do you keep finding these pins??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got one of these Panasonic MSX2's a while ago at a reasonable price from Japan, no floppy drive so bottom of the line for a MSX2 but I'm using a floppy emulator cart anyway so works fine for me :D

It was missing the power supply hence the price. Unfortunately the power supply has both DC & AC supplies making it a bit of pain to replace, but the 18V AC was only used to generate +12V and -12V internally.
    So new technology to the rescue, I was able to get a boost/buck regulator to convert +9V into both the required +12V and -12V so a few pence on Ebay :D

41904190140_5cbc7f8936_c.jpg

41904188450_cf7ea57b75_c.jpg

41904189500_c3af591c92_c.jpg

41904191170_ab5e8f9ef0_c.jpg

Nicely done! AC and DC madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Picked this up off Mozie last week who did an amazing job on it, a Jamma converted Dino King. My daughter has claimed it, perfect size and colour in fairness! Ive a full house now for sure, id have to sell to get anything else!
    I'd love one of those, probably the perfect height for me and Atavan too

Master of the Universe

After noticing a very slight checkerboard effect with my Super Famicom and GameCube RGB cables.

Bought a new fancy one from the retro gaming cables website. Really interested in seeing if it makes much of a difference. (if I remember correctly they were both from console goods UK)

Damn, now I want an MSX2 and a flash cart....
    Just when I thought I was out from under SD Card MADNESS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    After noticing a very slight checkerboard effect with my Super Famicom and GameCube RGB cables.

Bought a new fancy one from the retro gaming cables website. Really interested in seeing if it makes much of a difference. (if I remember correctly they were both from console goods UK)

Did you upgrade to the PACKAPUNCH cables? I'm thinking of getting a couple to see if the quality is good on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Relikk

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Did you upgrade to the PACKAPUNCH cables? I'm thinking of getting a couple to see if the quality is good on them.

After getting very noticeable interference on my Framemeister a few months ago (after using the same cheapish cables for years on my CRT with no sign of anything like that), I replaced most of my cables with those and the interference has been completely eliminated. Can't say how much they'll improve a picture on a CRT, though.

Master of the Universe

Steve X2 wrote: »

I opted for their 17gbp one, not sure if the packapunch was worth the extra 10 pounds. We shall see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Need to get a few new cables myself.

It's my birthday next week so might treat myself to a few.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement