Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I was delighted to see it in the flesh and at a reasonable price.
    Not often a bricks and mortar comes through, not to mention it probably should have been €50-70 going by completed eBay listings.
    I haven't tried it yet, maybe tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Been waiting almost 20 years to get a copy of this! :)

30niyw5.jpg

It will go well with my original copy,of this.

1zbwow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

On the topic of boxed consoles :)

AhgEEay.jpg

XNlQBGy.jpg

950gvyj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

DaveyDave wrote: »
    On the topic of boxed consoles

Sweet, where did you get that?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Sweet, where did you get that?

Nabbed it off eBay. I knew it was coming with the manual but I was pleasantly surprised by the untouched Sonic poster and warranty cards.

Had my eye on it for a while then some overtime came up in work which finalised my decision :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Haven't played power blade yet but heard it's meant to be class.

IMAG0050.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

sugarman wrote: »
    Not retro, but a nice get. Took up Gamestops PS4 Pro upgrade offer. Launch 500GB console/controller, 2 old FIFAs and €99 worth of One4All vouchers I had lying about so didnt really cost me anything.

10nu655.jpg

Also picked up Onimusha 2 in a charity shop while Gamestop were testing my console!

(N.B I have zero intention of ever touching Fortnite)

The Save the world PVE (the original game not the hugely popular PVP mode) is actually one of the best games I’ve played in years and there isn’t anything else quite like it. Well there is... but there a charm to STW I adore and what it does well it does really well. Think a loot heavy Tower defense crafting Left 4 Dead in a dreamworks cgi movie style.
    Not sure if that’s included with the bundle you bought but if it is I recommend trying it. I’ve been lost in it since last September or so.

If it’s just the PVP (Battle Royale, the infamous online 100 player dance emote shooter) then yeah, it’s a marmite kinda thing.

Edit: I can read the ‘Battle Royale mode only’ on the bottom right :( shame

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

accensi0n wrote: »
    Haven't played power blade yet but heard it's meant to be class.

IMAG0050.jpg

Nice. Powerblade 1 and 2 are going up in price the last few years and it's not a game you can get the cheaper famicom version of. The original isn't great but they changed the game loads for the western release which is a fantastic game after all the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

sugarman wrote: »
    Ah really not my type of game at all! I gave it ago in a mates awhile ago who's mad into and just didn't see the appeal. I ended up selling the code for €50 anyway! They're going for mad money ...as high as €100+ on eBay ...for a skin:eek:

Yeah the BR crowd are crazy. I’d be tempted to sell my account if it wasn’t for all the STW progress and time I’ve put in :)

I have a code for Rocket League on Xbox One if anyone wants it, don't think it will sell as well as a Fortnite code :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have a code for Rocket League on Xbox One if anyone wants it, don't think it will sell as well as a Fortnite code :P

How much are you looking for it? I haven't played Rocket League and I'm interested to see what all the hype is about

BDJW wrote: »
    How much are you looking for it? I haven't played Rocket League and I'm interested to see what all the hype is about

I'll give it to you for free, I think most people have it at this stage so not bothered selling. But you'll have to give me a day to find it in my room :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'll give it to you for free, I think most people have it at this stage so not bothered selling. But you'll have to give me a day to find it in my room :)

That would be great and much appreciated if you do find it, thanks a mill! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Not very exciting but a couple of bits that arrived today.

Mains power conditioner to go in the loop in the A/V retro setup. Seems to be more than just snake oil, I did a bit of research on these things. This is a relatively cheap option I'm using to test before putting down serious money for professional 12/24 socket(they are very expensive). This one was about 40 euro, the pro ones I'm looking at are 400-500 euro for 12 sockets with some bells and whistles.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UB0G4DQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    0HtXOrR.jpg
    ZAN75YL.jpg

Megadrive Packapunch cable from Retrogamingcables.co.uk.
    Doesn't look very much difference from a regular cable and can't say I've notice any video quality difference. Not to knock it, its a good cable but perhaps not worth the money for every system.
    fFL0yrb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Doge

Is there any real need for power conditioning in your setup?

Interesting.

Doge wrote: »
    Is there any real need for power conditioning in your setup?

Interesting.

With the amount of stuff running in and around my house there’s definitely a chance of RF interference coming in over the power lines/sockets.
    This has reduced the background buzz I could hear on some of my retro audio equipment. Just simple tests so far, volume up full, play nothing and I can hear that slight background buzz. Plug in via this mains conditioner and do the same, still a slight buzz but barely audible.

My Amiga CD32 has some interference you can see on black backgrounds. Most people wouldn’t care too much as you can only see it sometimes. But I plugged in the PSU to this thing and it’s definitely reduced. To be fair the CD32 uses one of those molex adapters so I would question the quality. I’m building a new psu myself using a Meanwell RT-65B which should improve things a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Not very exciting but a couple of bits that arrived today.

Mains power conditioner to go in the loop in the A/V retro setup. Seems to be more than just snake oil, I did a bit of research on these things. This is a relatively cheap option I'm using to test before putting down serious money for professional 12/24 socket(they are very expensive). This one was about 40 euro, the pro ones I'm looking at are 400-500 euro for 12 sockets with some bells and whistles.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UB0G4DQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Megadrive Packapunch cable from Retrogamingcables.co.uk.
    Doesn't look very much difference from a regular cable and can't say I've notice any video quality difference. Not to knock it, its a good cable but perhaps not worth the money for every system.

Jesus that is expensive!

I want to get 3 or 4 of those packapunch cables aswell. MD, SNES, GC and PS2, are they worth the extra few pounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Doge

Nobody ever seems listen to me but Retro Computer Shack do high quality cables for half the price, they just don't seem to do nintendo stuff though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Mega-Drive-High-Quality-RGB-Scart-TV-Lead-Video-Cable-with-STEREO-sound/260926939448?epid=20020831576&hash=item3cc0752138:g:6CYAAOSwCFNbVJrD

Jesus that is expensive!

I want to get 3 or 4 of those packapunch cables aswell. MD, SNES, GC and PS2, are they worth the extra few pounds?

It's hard to say, I didn't notice any difference in the video quality/signal. But they are good cables and the extra shielding can only be a good thing.
    Doge wrote: »
    Nobody ever seems listen to me but Retro Computer Shack do high quality cables for half the price, they just don't seem to do nintendo stuff though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Mega-Drive-High-Quality-RGB-Scart-TV-Lead-Video-Cable-with-STEREO-sound/260926939448?epid=20020831576&hash=item3cc0752138:g:6CYAAOSwCFNbVJrD

I've a few of their cables and the quality is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jesus that is expensive!

I got their regular non packapunch SNES one recently (about a tenner cheaper) and the video quality is amazing. So much better than my consolegoods one. I'd say try that out first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My ODroid Go arrived today.
    Despite having a modified Android logo and that name, it isn't running Android at all.
    It requited a bit of assembly but the process is well documented online.
    The supported emulators are Gameboy/Color, Master System, Game Gear, NES and the Colecovision.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Despite having a modified Android logo and that name, it isn't running Android at all.
    The supported emulators are Gameboy/Color, Master System, Game Gear, NES and the Colecovision.

It runs Linux and Android, no?

It runs Linux and Android, no?

I think it's a pretty low powered Linux board but I don't think it runs Android at all.

Just a heads up on those Packapunch cables. The megadrive one doesn’t work on my switchless modded console, works perfect on stock one. Standard RGB cables from the same crowd works perfect on both consoles.
    I’ve tried it through the scart switch, direct into framemeister and also direct into tv, nothing.

Have contacted them to see if they know what might be causing it.

Got a few bits today for my retro A/V setup. Not much of interest to post here, but I did get a new 8" screen to use as my preview monitor(everything that the framemeister is viewing is mirrored to this screen as well as whatever I'm using as the main display).

I think it's a great screen for the money(£50) and would definitely be something people might use in modding projects. Its 4:3, has HDMI, VGA, RCA and BNC connections at the back. It's not high res(1024x768), but that may be a positive if your planning on using it for emulation etc. You can also rotate or mirror the screen in the settings, which is what i did for the setup in the pic below.

It's the WR942 model.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KH2TXE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7Y0ZbLj.jpg

zVi9Fpl.jpg

zlBQmkL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Spectrum 48k, Atari 2600, 7800 and MSX1 + 2 also on it, some emulation in better shape than others apparently.

I recently got myself 10 great games Volume 1 and 2 for the Spectrum from Gremlin Graphics. Volume 1 had the least practical case/box known to man. I'll post up a pick when I'm home.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

There's a lovely retropie style front end on the emu pack I have running on the ODroid Go, but I'd love to have those you mention also on it.
    Must look into it...

Always wanted a white Saturn :)

Vr6h8f5.jpg

SrLnmId.jpg

5KsNqpl.jpg

It's not the only Saturn I got this week :D

989LQAD.jpg

Update on the Packabunch RGB cables. The guy says they didn't test it on the switchless mods, just the normal toggle switch region mod. He's no idea why it doesn't work.

So, might just be a weird thing with my console. But something to keep in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

Update on the Packabunch RGB cables. The guy says they didn't test it on the switchless mods, just the normal toggle switch region mod. He's no idea why it doesn't work.

So, might just be a weird thing with my console. But something to keep in mind.

Very weird. Iirc the switchless mod merely switches regions by using an IC to control what bridge points are connected/not connected, and doesn't interfere with video output whatsoever (apart from doing what it should re 50/60Hz) :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement