Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭Steve X2

These both arrived today. Unibios 4.0 and a 161 in 1 MVS cart.
    I had that cart before, but dumped it long ago because of all the unfilterable junk on it. With the new bios chip that's no longer a problem :)

jvE9Gko.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Steve X2 wrote: »
    These both arrived today. Unibios 4.0 and a 161 in 1 MVS cart.
    I had that cart before, but dumped it long ago because of all the unfilterable junk on it. With the new bios chip that's no longer a problem :)

jvE9Gko.jpg

On a side note, what do you think of wide PC cases? I like some of the Corsair ones but I think I'll stick to regular ATX cases. I actually want to downgrade the Obsidian 750D to the likes of the Carbide 270R. (Assuming that is a wider case)

DaveyDave wrote: »
    On a side note, what do you think of wide PC cases? I like some of the Corsair ones but I think I'll stick to regular ATX cases. I actually want to downgrade the Obsidian 750D to the likes of the Carbide 270R. (Assuming that is a wider case)

That's a new case I got for a new PC build(it's a monster of a thing). I'm upgrading from the Thermaltake Level 10 GT to a Thermaltake The Tower 900.
    I'll need the space for the dual water reservoirs that will be going inside along with some custom tubing. It'll be the first "beast" build I've done in a while so will require lots of custom watercooling(well, I'll be using PrimoChill, not water). I like the way with this case you can hide multiple radiators, hdd, cables and everything else in the back. While the good stuff is on display in the front.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002974
    cZstonp.jpg

Old case:
    ymTr53R.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Is that new PC for running emulators ?

:):):)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,556 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is that new PC for running emulators ?

:):):)

ZX 81 emulators only....

• Advertisement

All joking aside. There will be a completely pointless retro related mod built into the hardware inside the case. I’ve already got the parts for that :)

Unfortunately the Master System has been replaced, but it's not all bad... (Yes, this one works ;))

inN0eMY.jpg

r3bwWHX.jpg

KEPvTkQ.jpg

qogsZdY.jpg[\IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Inviere

All joking aside. There will be a completely pointless retro related mod built into the hardware inside the case. I’ve already got the parts for that :)

What hardware specs are going in the PC Steve? I presume something that will be able to run Crysis anyway...

Inviere wrote: »
    What hardware specs are going in the PC Steve? I presume something that will be able to run Crysis anyway...

It'll be great for games, but I'm also building it for some serious media editing.

Things I have:
    Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme Intel x299 motherboard
    Intel Core i9 7980XE 18 core proc
    x2 Samsung 970 PRO 1TB M.2 SSD(to be setup as the boot drive using RAID for performance)
    x2 ASUS GTX 1080 TI ROG STRIX (Water cooled editions)

Things to buy:
    128GB DDR4 RAM(still deciding speed and brand)
    Plus loads more, including all the watercooling gear.

I'll be adding a good chunk of data storage as well. But most of my bulk storage is handled by a Synology 12 disk NAS(144TB total, 120TB with redundancy).

That cpu is just nuts, 18 core hyperthreaded which boosts to 4.2 GHz :eek: Twin 1080Ti’s too, and 128 GB ddr4 ram....so yes, yes it will run Crysis :D

• Advertisement

That cpu is just nuts, 18 core hyperthreaded which boosts to 4.2 GHz :eek: Twin 1080Ti’s too, and 128 GB ddr4 ram....so yes, yes it will run Crysis :D

It's a beast of a proc alright. I did get it at a very good price to be fair, as the normal asking on these is pretty crazy.

Edit:
    Also, that proc i got is Pre-binned 4.6GHz capable.

It's a beast of a proc alright. I did get it at a very good price to be fair, as the normal asking on these is pretty crazy.

Edit:
    Also, that proc i got is Pre-binned 4.6GHz capable.

Very very nice, should make minced meat of anything you need it to do. Considering you’re going the custom loop route, you going to run it beyond stock speeds Steve?

Very very nice, should make minced meat of anything you need it to do. Considering you’re going the custom loop route, you going to run it beyond stock speeds Steve?

It'll run stock when just doing day to day stuff. But I hope to run the best cores at higher speeds when when rendering video and that sort of thing. No need to overclock the CPU when gaming, GPU maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Got me my first zx spectrum next game today!!

2d1239e.jpg

All I need now is my spectrum next. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Got me my first zx spectrum next game today!!

All I need now is my spectrum next. :)

I've sort of lost some of my excitement about it, all the updates look great, just peak buzz passed about 3 months ago. I also hope the next os eventually includes save states (for original spectrum games) like esxdos does.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I've sort of lost some of my excitement about it, all the updates look great, just peak buzz passed about 3 months ago. I also hope the next os eventually includes save states (for original spectrum games) like esxdos does.

Ive been playing the game on spectrum next emulator (CSpect) at the moment and it has actually has me more excited as I can now see the massive potential the spectrum next has for myself.

As the launch is almost here now there has been a real pick up in development now. A telnet client and music tracker just recently being in development which are looking really good.

Finally finished summer project, have this cab a couple of months (originally a f355) and after considerable expense, a few parts arriving damaged and a lot of rosso red spray paint it finally finished...well 99% waiting on a pi so i can run the sp version. Thanks to muddy for the artwork (really nice foil stickers) and outrun2 on ukvac for lovely repro jap style seat cushion ..so much nicer than uk version.

IMG_20180723_131521.jpg
    IMG_20180723_171850.jpg
    IMG_20180723_172131.jpg
    IMG_20180723_172147.jpg
    IMG_20180723_172154.jpg
    IMG_20180723_172203.jpg
    IMG_20180723_172212.jpg

Outrun & Outrun 2....nooooice. Get a Sega Rally & a Ridge Racer there now and you've a dream driver cab setup

When can I come over? :D OutRun is definitely one of my favourite arcade games, can't say I'm very good at it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Wow Mozie that's a beast. Looks amazing.
    No way would I get the OK for that in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Got a few new things

Sonic Mania Plus
    DiaR8otX0AAMWdX?format=jpg

Gorillaz new album on cassette
    DiTDy36XkAAtgBu?format=jpg

I got two new Insert Couns tee (I really don't need more tees lol)
    DiOA_WQXkAEWfRC?format=jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭geotrig

Finally finished summer project, have this cab a couple of months (originally a f355) and after considerable expense, a few parts arriving damaged and a lot of rosso red spray paint it finally finished...well 99% waiting on a pi so i can run the sp version. Thanks to muddy for the artwork (really nice foil stickers) and outrun2 on ukvac for lovely repro jap style seat cushion ..so much nicer than uk version.

nice one mozie ,its never been a cheap conversion , looks ace especially getting the small/jap topper o/\ , I must look into repro jap style seat cushions ,they look way better than the original covers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,556 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not retro enough, but picking up PS3 in the coming days, a 60Gb one that retains PS2 compatibility.
    Apparently it has never been opened for reballing, so I wonder how much "occassional use" it has left to it before it expires?
    Hopefully loads!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not retro enough, but picking up PS3 in the coming days, a 60Gb one that retains PS2 compatibility.
    Apparently it has never been opened for reballing, so I wonder how much "occassional use" it has left to it before it expires?
    Hopefully loads!

First thing you should do after seeing if it works, is take it apart, clean every bit of dust out of it, & change the thermal paste on the heat spreader.

First thing you should do after seeing if it works, is take it apart, clean every bit of dust out of it, & change the thermal paste on the heat spreader.

Sounds like a job for... Last Bandit!
    I'll add it to the list!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sounds like a job for... Last Bandit!
    I'll add it to the list!

It's actually really easy to do, tons of video tutorials for it :)

It's actually really easy to do, tons of video tutorials for it :)

That is normally what they say right before Praxis explodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sugarman wrote: »
    Id only buy it if youre getting a solid deal, its going to die at some point. Any PS3 on 4.82 can very easily be modded to run CFW / backups now anway, so I dont see the appeal of a 60GB anymore when you can pick up a far more reliable later model for peanuts and mod it.

PS2 emulation on the models that rely on software emulation is fairly wonky.

But yeah reliability isn't great. Still have my 60GB US model and dreading if it ever dies.

Well, it's only €50 so I'm hoping to get some time from it, and it's more to have there as a thing than anything, spurred on by the need to play Outrun 2006 on the plasma!

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Any PS3 on 4.82 can very easily be modded to run CFW / backups now anway, so I dont see the appeal of a 60GB anymore when you can pick up a far more reliable later model for peanuts and mod it.

That's what I done. Picked up a Slim PS3 120GB from CeX, installed CFW on it, and done a full disassembly in order to clean it. Man, the dust inside it was unreal, and the thermal paste was like chalk. It's a much happier little machine now though (for all I use it :rolleyes:)
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PS2 emulation on the models that rely on software emulation is fairly wonky.

Wasn't the PAL 60GB model software emulation based, while the NTSC one was actually hardware based?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement