Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

bought (I know... i know... ) this on advert for 75 on an off chance low offer.
    Thanks edhorse who offered to pick this up in dublin and meet me in Athlone . thanks a lot sir, that's good retro karma.

Anyway. the guy wasn't sure if it worked as it was stuck on an odd screen ; the book-keeping mode as it turned out just needs a switch to revert back to normal mode. Screen works fine with no burn and this'll be a next project after the Taito table restoration .
    These are surprisingly small and tidy. About the size of a pac-man cabaret cab . I'll probably end up converting this to either bomb-jack or tetris . They both were upgrade kits so it doesn't really matter what cab they ended up in :)

32365804_10156400446393276_4862228267010097152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=79a721f2f8e6fde3ef3085c6cabc4a62&oe=5B8BCF49

Biggest problem with those cabs is the angle of the control panel,
    It's almost vertical !!
    I shoehorned a 20" monitor into mine but plan on scraping the woodwork at some stage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My rate of retro gets has slowed down over the years, but so far 2017-18 has been decent, with the Famicom Twin and PSX coming into my life.
    But, a Steve Bailey sale has reminded me of a game I have wanted for a while, so bought it!
    It's the Fantasy Zone collection for the PS2, and a decent one at that.
    He also had the Space Harrier and Wonder Boy collections but I can only afford so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Internet.
    After moving 6 weeks ago finally have internet access again :)

i remember having no internet access for like... 20 years or so

now I get anxious if I'm out of 4G range for like 10 minutes :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's like an extension to our cognitive function now, and being without that ability to reach out to the world's biggest library for facts, opinions, pictures of grumpy cats, it's hard alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The only one I really got to play was that amazing Little Nemo game via MAME.
    Incredible movie and impressive game, not sure how the NES and SNES ports were though.

Ahh look at that... you found Nemo!

Heh... eh... aherm...

....sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

BGOllie wrote: »
    bought (I know... i know... ) this on advert for 75 on an off chance low offer.
    Thanks edhorse who offered to pick this up in dublin and meet me in Athlone . thanks a lot sir, that's good retro karma.

Anyway. the guy wasn't sure if it worked as it was stuck on an odd screen ; the book-keeping mode as it turned out just needs a switch to revert back to normal mode. Screen works fine with no burn and this'll be a next project after the Taito table restoration .
    These are surprisingly small and tidy. About the size of a pac-man cabaret cab . I'll probably end up converting this to either bomb-jack or tetris . They both were upgrade kits so it doesn't really matter what cab they ended up in :)

32365804_10156400446393276_4862228267010097152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=79a721f2f8e6fde3ef3085c6cabc4a62&oe=5B8BCF49

If you happen to be changing the gold t-molding and going to be getting rid of it, would you mind keeping me in mind for it, as I'm on the hunt for some

If it's like any of the three I've had the t moulding will be brittle and break apart as soon as you try remove it.. Thought I seem someone on ukvac selling some recently might be worth a look more..

Thanks, will have a look (once the search on ukvac starts working again!) . All I need is a few centimeters to fix a damaged corner at the base of a unit.

• Advertisement

sure no problem, it's yours . it's very brittle now but I'm sure I can save a foot or two

Excellent thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Might well be keeping tabs on this forum a bit more.

Two Saturdays ago up at 7am with my eldest, sitting in my chair just looking at an empty corner in the back of the living room.
    Day later it's now got a 32" LG Tv I had in a box, with a PS2, N64 and Ps4 sitting in a unit under it :D

All somewhat inspired by my Dad texting me saying he was clearing out the attic and found my N64, and what I wanted to do with it :D

In terms of consoles think a Sega Megadrive the only other thing interesting me. Misses is after getting big into this too all of a sudden.

Any recommendations for RGB switches? TV has scart so having to use that thanks to a handy Xbox 360 RGB to scart connection I found, but it's going to be a pain constantly swopping consoles at the back of the telly.

Will throw a pic of my setup later. Work is blocking places I have the picture : /

• Registered Users Posts: 34,441 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Search for Bandridge scart switchers on eBay. They're the best solution in the 30 euro range. Have five rgb scart sockets.

After that you're into hand made ones that run into the hundreds!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Search for Bandridge scart switchers on eBay. They're the best solution in the 30 euro range. Have five rgb scart sockets.

After that you're into hand made ones that run into the hundreds!

I put off this investment for a couple of years, as I had also done so for the RGB cables themselves, and in both cases I regretted it.
    Certainly in the case of Scart Switch boxes, you get what you pay for and the damage done to the enjoyment of games is immense when a crappy pound shop scart switcher is done.
    The Bandridge switcher is fantastic, a great investment

Sorry I'm saying RGB (pc parts en route).

I'm probably better saying component maybe? I have an adaptor from a 360 that puts component into SCART, since my TV just has one SCART port. But I could put multiple components into a switch. I see them all over the place, just maybe looking to see if there is one that is a "recommended"

Example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Component-Switch-Splitter-Selector-Converter/dp/B01M4LOU12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526652528&sr=8-1&keywords=component+switch

Master of the Universe

You'd want to be using RGB scart cables or else HDMI cables for your more modern stuff.

So get one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Bandridge-5-Way-Manual-Scart-Selector-Switch-RGB-Retro-Gaming-Switchbox/152346286334?epid=2255824229&hash=item23788bd8fe:g:pu4AAOSwZQRYbSXx

Connect it to your one scart input on your telly and then run five scart capable consoles into it (so anything from Snes/Megadrive/PCE up to PS2 etc). It'll be the best picture you get from them.

The only time to really use component to any major benefit is the likes of the Gamecube/Wii/Original xbox.

Tbh I even use regular RGB scart with them and it looks gorgeous.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I put off this investment for a couple of years, as I had also done so for the RGB cables themselves, and in both cases I regretted it.
    Certainly in the case of Scart Switch boxes, you get what you pay for and the damage done to the enjoyment of games is immense when a crappy pound shop scart switcher is done.
    The Bandridge switcher is fantastic, a great investment

Haha, I remember those dark days when you said composite was good enough for you. We got to you in the end :D

You'd want to be using RGB scart cables or else HDMI cables for your more modern stuff.

So get one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Bandridge-5-Way-Manual-Scart-Selector-Switch-RGB-Retro-Gaming-Switchbox/152346286334?epid=2255824229&hash=item23788bd8fe:g:pu4AAOSwZQRYbSXx

Connect it to your one scart input on your telly and then run five scart capable consoles into it (so anything from Snes/Megadrive/PCE up to PS2 etc). It'll be the best picture you get from them.

The only time to really use component to any major benefit is the likes of the Gamecube/Wii/Original xbox.

Tbh I even use regular RGB scart with them and it looks gorgeous.

I've component into a SCART adaptor for my N64 and PS2, and PS4 runs of HDMI

Master of the Universe

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've component into a SCART adaptor for my N64 and PS2, and PS4 runs of HDMI

Ah, by 'component' do you mean the yellow, red and white cables? That's composite, not component. It's really awful video quality (unfortunately all the N64 supports without being modded for RGB)

If you got that bandridge I linked you to, you could plug your N64 into it via composite and PS2 into it via Scart RGB (for much better video quality) and run everything off the one scart socket on the tv.

• Advertisement

Ah, by 'component' do you mean the yellow, red and white cables? That's composite, not component. It's really awful video quality (unfortunately all the N64 supports without being modded for RGB)

If you got that bandridge I linked you to, you could plug your N64 into it via composite and PS2 into it via Scart RGB (for much better video quality) and run everything off the one scart socket on the tv.

Yeah sorry thats what I mean, its the yellow, red and white cables.
    My PS2 also has yellow, red and white cables.

So you can get like different cables to provide better quality?

Sega Megadrive on my immediate purchase list so see theres seemingly scart cables for them now, so what you linked looks like the ticket

Master of the Universe

Yeah RGB scart is what you want. It's each component split out into it's own pin so provides true fidelity in the image. Most older consoles (apart from the n64 and NES) support it. Image is 100% stable and the colours are separated so there's no bleed. Just make sure you're buying correct RGB scart cables which are labelled as such, like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Mega-Drive-2-II-High-Quality-RGB-Scart-TV-Lead-Video-Cable/261091969356?epid=1588301717&hash=item3cca4b494c:g:ab0AAOSw8AhaSn4D

Composite, the red/yellow and white cables you are using sends all of the video image over that one yellow cable (the other two are stereo sound). So the image data is awful. You get horrible artefacts/bleeding and dot crawl where the pixels are moving side to side and not solid. Colours also look washed out.

If you're getting a Megadrive just keep in mind that the Megadrive 1 and Megadrive 2 have a different video connection, so you've to get the correct cable for it (above one is for Megadrive 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah RGB scart is what you want. It's each component split out into it's own pin so provides true fidelity in the image. Most older consoles (apart from the n64 and NES) support it. Image is 100% stable and the colours are separated so there's no bleed. Just make sure you're buying correct RGB scart cables which are labelled as such, like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Mega-Drive-2-II-High-Quality-RGB-Scart-TV-Lead-Video-Cable/261091969356?epid=1588301717&hash=item3cca4b494c:g:ab0AAOSw8AhaSn4D

Composite, the red/yellow and white cables you are using sends all of the video image over that one yellow cable (the other two are stereo sound). So the image data is awful. You get horrible artefacts/bleeding and dot crawl where the pixels are moving side to side and not solid. Colours also look washed out.

If you're getting a Megadrive just keep in mind that the Megadrive 1 and Megadrive 2 have a different video connection, so you've to get the correct cable for it (above one is for Megadrive 2)

That's a lot cheaper than one of those HD Retrovision component cables, and a Bandridge switch isn't too expensive either. I'll have to double check my TV has a port for a Scart adaptor, but if these are the prices then I'll definitely be upgrading my cables.

I thought getting better picture on my TV was a lost cause. It might actually cost me a lot less than €100+

As mentioned here is what I setup in a space at the back of my living room

Y5ups1gl.jpg

Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    That's a lot cheaper than one of those HD Retrovision component cables, and a Bandridge switch isn't too expensive either. I'll have to double check my TV has a port for a Scart adaptor, but if these are the prices then I'll definitely be upgrading my cables.

I thought getting better picture on my TV was a lost cause. It might actually cost me a lot less than €100+

Those retrovision RGB cables are snake oil tbh. Sure, they're really well made, but they're extremely over engineered. I've been using RGB cables from that dude who runs consolegoodsuk for years now and they've been perfect. Usually come in at about 10-15 a piece.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    As mentioned here is what I setup in a space at the back of my living room

Y5ups1gl.jpg

Nice! Just enough space for a little CRT where the PS4 is too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Those retrovision RGB cables are snake oil tbh. Sure, they're really well made, but they're extremely over engineered. I've been using RGB cables from that dude who runs consolegoodsuk for years now and they've been perfect. Usually come in at about 10-15 a piece.

All these time everyone was telling me to get RGB cables I thought it meant component :o I'll get an RGB adaptor and Mega Drive II cable for now as that's the worst quality.

Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    All these time everyone was telling me to get RGB cables I thought it meant component :o I'll get an RGB adaptor and Mega Drive II cable for now as that's the worst quality.

Those Retrovision cables are RGB. They're just really expensive RGB cables :D

RGB is just the different video colours and sync broken up into their components. (Hence maybe the confusion over the word component?) That's what RGB scart is.it's the best video quality you'll get out of a Megadrive,/SNES etc. All you need is one of those cables I linked.

Actual component is a different video source entirely which older consoles don't support. You dont see component being used till the Xbox, GameCube , Wii etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I can second that, I have consolegoodsuk RBG cables for my Saturn and Mega Drive and the picture quality is amazing on my CRT.

Can attest to their quality.

No need to pay over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Only took three days to get from Finland to the arse end of Wicklow.

IMAG1151.jpg

IMAG1142_2.jpg

• Advertisement

Today's flea market finds. I can safely say I've never ever seen boxed NES games in the wild before
    33057167_10156419561178276_5022398309126373376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=82d95faddaf5ed578bfc426c13b9da24&oe=5B78A683

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement