Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Thanks, Pennys.

Saw them today and a cool Street fighter ll one...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Don't really buy games magazines any more but had to get this once I spotted the cover. Didn't we first hear about it back in the PS2 days, or towards the end of them? Certainly feels that old anyway. :)

According to the wiki page the game has been in development since 2007, originally a PS3 release, which would have coincided with the consoles launch here, meaning most people still had a PS2, so you're dead right.

Can't wait for it though, might be a PS4.5 launch game yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

smurf492 wrote: »
    Saw them today and a cool Street fighter ll one...
    I didn't see any just Pokemon, mad to see the SF2 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Went to the car boot sale and found this for only a fiver. Goes for about 30-40 quid on eBay, including delivery.

2GLsq3ph.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Unfortunately it's Mutant League Hockey that's the rare one! :D Can get 100+ for a PAL copy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

A retro game of a different kind, loved playing this as a kid. Picked it up in Tescos, no bigger than the palm of your hand. Tis great fun. :)

AGgGN9T.jpg

For anyone too young to remember (lucky you!) here's a cringe-worthy tv ad:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's Mutant League Hockey that's the rare one! :D Can get 100+ for a PAL copy.

Yeah I was actually pondering to myself on the way home "was it the hockey one or the football one that was really dear?"

Then I did a bit of research when I got home and realized it was ML Hockey that was the rare one. Still though, better than paying ~€30

:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Corholio wrote: »
    I'm content with my PAL copies, 50 or 60Hz has never really bothered me at all. I can see the difference but I think the thing has always been quite overblown between them. A lot of this 'unplayable' once you've played 60Hz, I have never experienced that at all to be honest.

The thing is there's no excuse not to play in 60 hz for most consoles. Even if you have a PAL version of a game 99.9% of the time you can just run it in 60 hz and it will play properly. All that is needed is a console mod, not throwing out the whole collection. There's a few annoying PAL games, stuff like Super Aleste were they sped up the music but not the gameplay meaning it feels off in both 50 and 60 hz, but those are fringe cases.

The only big offenders are the N64 and PS1. There's no way to run PAL games at 60hz with out glitches in the majority of cases. PS1 is worse. If you play PAL PS1 games on even a NTSC machine they play in 50hz, there's no way to really force them. Some lazy developers on PS2 also never bothered with 60hz modes... Looking at you square Enix and even last gen games did the same thing, the PAL version of Madworld being an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

I find Revenge of Shinobi feels strange now on 50hz, the jumps are really like they're in slow motion and feel too long.

Really glad I modded my Mega Drive 1 with that single switch mod.

9RXarNUh.jpg

Took a trip into CeX, found these two for a total of €4.50.

Unfortunately I didn't get the Limited Edition disc with the steel case, nor a manual, but I said to myself '€3 is €3'. I might just get the proper box in future but until then I just wanted a Doom fix lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

While Doom is riding high on the current gen it's a good time jump in with some earlier versions.
    I enjoyed, and finished, Doom 3 on the Xbox, got it for the PS3 as well, with the DLC. Keep meaning to play that through, might do after I'm finished with the current offering.

Master of the Universe

Crazy to think Doom 3 is 12 years old. I remember investing in a new PC to play it on at the time. ATI Radeon Pro 128mb Graphics card. Ran absolutely everything, were great times.

That and the original Farcry melted my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

the original Farcry melted my eyes.

Same here, that was a true wow moment the first time I installed & played it. It felt like a huge technical leap, and I suppose, it was really. Never got into Doom 3 because of the lighting, must give BFG edition a go over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

soooo. yeah. This has to be my best find ever in 3 years going to these, :eek:
    different people too. All there in the box, including games and manuals .
    One of the two other NES is NTSC :) The other one needs a new connector but works ok. Will donate that to a work colleague.
    PS3 is 60gb and works just fine :) I finally have one

got other bits too , megadrive games, white psp .. ps2 stuff. It's like the stars all aligned for one weekend :)

13331052_10154232403893276_3866990170954354019_n.jpg?oh=0be0fd97e857a001638fd7d2102033e1&oe=57D942A8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Nice haul !! Apart from the GX-4000 :)

Master of the Universe

Nice haul !! Apart from the GX-4000 :)

Only 15,000 units sold though, so that should really make it L@@K R@RE11!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Myrddin wrote: »
    Same here, that was a true wow moment the first time I installed & played it. It felt like a huge technical leap, and I suppose, it was really.

Farcry graphically was a big surprise to me. Every time it was demoed it looked years ahead of the competition. A small eastern European team making a game that looked like that... my vapourware senses were tingling. Was surprised when it came out and actually delivered.

Master of the Universe

I originally picked up a demo of the opening level of Farcry in Smyths when buying something else, can't even remember what it was.

Had a similar effect to the Metal Gear Solid demo which was given away with the Official UK PS mag. Played it hundreds of times and it just never got old.

I'd never experienced something with the real sense of being in a massive open jungle. Used to just roam around looking at everything :D

I was aworking in Gamesworld when the rep came in from Sony with Gran Turismo, and they had a closed demo upstairs in the offices.
    Everyone was slack jawed afterwards, given what they had seen.
    Previously the PS had a wonderful selection of top class racing titles, from Need for Speed and the recent Need for Speed 3, a real return to form, and the Ridge Racer series, not to mention Wipeout.
    But Gran Turismo just outclassed everything.
    It was like someone, working with the same box of paint as everyone else, discovered a whole new way to use them, and it was magnificent.
    I don't think there was anything as striking as that shift ever before or since for me, maybe the sight of The Need for Speed on the 3DO, that was pretty incredible, also the sheer speed of the first Burnout game on the PS2 and the triumph of GTA3 on the PS2 as well.

I remember 100%'ing Gran Turismo (yes, even those 6 hour races), and it unlocked a High Res mode for one track...pretty impressive :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

1997, what a year for gaming.

If I remember correctly, that Christmas my grandparents bought me Gran Turismo with a dual shock controller for Christmas and then Time Crisis with the Gcon that summer for my Birthday.

Final Fantasy VII would have been played in between them at some point.

Metal Gear Solid the following year.

What a time to be alive :eek:

It was a good time to work in Gamesworld as well, tons of great games coming out on four formats, including the PC.
    Sony were throwing money at Ireland, in terms of events, and it was great to get along to those.
    Plus, I was young enough but working to throw money at the hobby like no tomorrow, no mortgage but a full time job, ching ching!
    The PS still had years in it, but in 97 the machine just wouldn't quit, good times indeed.

It is probably a symptom of my age that games don't quite have that lustre anymore, perhaps a player of games in their 20's now is having a pretty great time, despite CoD and Far Watch Cry Dogs Creed N stinking the place up with clone-y cookie cutter games.

96 was the year the PS1 started to get a few good games and was worth buying. Pulled way ahead of the Saturn then. 97 was a stellar year for gaming but 98 was even better, could make a good argument for that being one of the best ever years in gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Farcry graphically was a big surprise to me. Every time it was demoed it looked years ahead of the competition. A small eastern European team making a game that looked like that... my vapourware senses were tingling. Was surprised when it came out and actually delivered.

I remember being blown away by the detail of the spray from the sea water as it washed up onto the sand.
    The hardware requirements were very modest also at the time which is even more impressive.

I bought the Far Cry Collection for PS3 about 2 years ago, and was very disappointed by the graphics in the first Far Cry. They absolutely butchered it, all that detail vanished.
    A really lazy port of the game.

I only got around to playing Crysis last year, and even then on the PS3, in the form of a port.
    I didn't have a PC with the brawn to play it first time around but I had a blast on the sequel years later, again on the PS3.
    I had a lot of fun with the original, I'm sure that, had I played it on PC I would have been disappointed, but as someone who knew no better, I had a ball. The design of a game at home on PC is very different from that of a console fps, certainly it felt far more open and less constricted than the second game.
    I picked up the third game too, initially through PS+ but later in a cheap CEX sourced physical copy and, disappointingly, the frame rate absolutely kills it.
    It makes me wonder just how people who collect and play games are going to view such efforts in years to come, no real excuse, on a console that seemed to produce near effortless great visuals on everything.

The console Crysis port was badly gimped. Playing Crysis on PC (as it's meant to be played) was another "holy ****" moment, it looked spectacular, & probably still does today. Crytek really know how to make pretty games.

My Twinbee tee arrived

My Twinbee tee arrived
    File was too big and I'm lazy so
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BGFEOhPm-_D/

Master of the Universe

Where'd you get that?? I want one!

• Advertisement