Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My XE stick has landed in work, going to nip out and grab it, whilst Kerbdog is assembling the adaptor....
    Looking forward to this, I'll have to look into the TG16 rgb mod, it's crappy composite right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Happy Days :)

9kcuIeS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Happy Days :)

9kcuIeS.jpg

That just looks like a modded venom stick, I hope they didn't mark it up too much, the venom sticks are only 70-90 euros.

Also I got alundra 2 for 20 quid today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My XE stick has landed in work, going to nip out and grab it, whilst Kerbdog is assembling the adaptor....
    Looking forward to this, I'll have to look into the TG16 rgb mod, it's crappy composite right now.

Fingers crossed that adapter works

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

airmax87 wrote: »
    That just looks like a modded venom stick, I hope they didn't mark it up too much, the venom sticks are only 70-90 euros.

Also I got alundra 2 for 20 quid today.

Bout 115 shipped I paid I think. It has sanwa controls and it's own "smart cpu" for bluetooth with "near zero lag" for tablet and phone play which I haven't had the chance to confirm yet, along with various paring modes; keyboard, gamepad, touch screen emulation. But 8bitdo are getting a huge amount of praise for their retro components and having hooked it up to my laptop in place of my dreamcast stick I was using it is definitely nicer to play with.

Eventually I want to use it with a tablet or Hdmipi for portable gaming. I'm hoping to get some work in the cruise ship area later this year and my limited space and down time will probably see me playing arcade shmups rather than PC RPGs :)

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Bout 115 shipped I paid I think. It has sanwa controls and it's own "smart cpu" for bluetooth with "near zero lag" for tablet and phone play which I haven't had the chance to confirm yet, along with various paring modes; keyboard, gamepad, touch screen emulation. But 8bitdo are getting a huge amount of praise for their retro components and having hooked it up to my laptop in place of my dreamcast stick I was using it is definitely nicer to play with.

Eventually I want to use it with a tablet or Hdmipi for portable gaming. I'm hoping to get some work in the cruise ship area later this year and my limited space and down time will probably see me playing arcade shmups rather than PC RPGs :)

Well the sanwa parts alone make up the diffrence so.
    A lot of people are buying the venom for SFV on the PS4 and swapping out for sanwa parts, seems to be a really popular stick atm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Fingers crossed that adapter works

Adapter works.
    Stick is sticky though, when pushed up at least, with a little push creating no signal and more pressure illiciting an audible click on it frees up to give the appropriate signal.
    No idea what's going on there.
    Also, despite the controller displaying 8 to 4 way modes there isn't a way to select them, the normal method is to rotate the dust cover at the bottom of the stick, it having a pair of dimples to aid, but this stick it's just a boring dust cover with no selectable gate for the joystick.
    It still works a treat but not particularly happy that I'm left to repair it in order for it to work properly.
    I don't want to send it back but is there any comeback for me with the seller I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Did you drop much on it? That whole family of sticks are fairly rare and desirable so maybe hang onto it?

Sounds like the microswitch for up is just a bit gunky, could open it up and give it a bit of a clean.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Did you drop much on it? That whole family of sticks are fairly rare and desirable so maybe hang onto it?

Sounds like the microswitch for up is just a bit gunky, could open it up and give it a bit of a clean.

Not much, €20 for the stick and the same again for shipping, so €40 on a Micomsoft stick for my TG16

Looks like it's actually the dust cover at the base of the stick catching on the case!
    Mental...
    Probably just remove it, otherwise it's a cracking stick!

Having opened it up the circuit board has PC/FC on it, as well as blanks for alternate chips, seems like it might be also the control board for the Famicom version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

If its the dust cover, you could prob source a smaller one and if its the switches, they are normal micro switches so could be changed/upgraded with ease.

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    If its the dust cover, you could prob source a smaller one and if its the switches, they are normal micro switches so could be changed/upgraded with ease.

No, it's the dust cover, I was wondering why the clicky problem ceased when I had it open and turned upside down...
    I strapped on the deerstalker and realised that the dust cover was the only culprit.
    Pressing your finger on it exacerbated the problem, so it's the issue.
    Solution is to replace it or file the underside of the edge of the cover so it no longer catches.
    It's never just a simple matter of buying something retro and it works is it?

Edit: Just had a blast on the TG-16 with the new stick and it is transformative!
    The stick is superb and only enhances the arcade titles on the console.
    Looking forward to showing it off properly at the next beers, whenever that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

got me an New Media Systems Philips monitor for my MSX. That's the very same model I had as a kid. I used it for the Amiga too.

230287_10154052262063276_2785167398357483263_n.jpg?oh=49de559b13024da6f7331141706b0e2b&oe=57839E9F

Is that on par with a sony PVM? Love the aesthetics of those monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

it's the same as the 1084 series of monitors from commodore, just a different color . I used it on my Amiga back in the days

Master of the Universe

Oh yeah! It looks totally identical to an 1084S, just in black. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    Oh yeah! It looks totally identical to an 1084S, just in black. Lovely.

No, no, no the front flap is still intact unlike nearly feck'n 1084S. Maybe MSX owners were more careful owners :D

Master of the Universe

No, no, no the front flap is still intact unlike nearly feck'n 1084S. Maybe MSX owners were more careful owners :D

The flap was on my 1084s, until it came into my possession... I even managed to step on the damn thing and break one of the arms after it had fallen off :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Another load just arrived :
    0-weu-10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Got my display adaptor board today, so hooked it up for a test run! Works a treat! Just need some little speakers now, and I will be good to go! :D

12240140_10153295624790916_8010164753324069636_n.jpg?oh=cc622bf6d819c6ca3ac09b063b05657b&oe=577E4D71&__gda__=1464668035_e52a2adc09e89ddde8b60adc751a30a7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Some seriously nice cabs there....need a scrubbing but still :D

• Advertisement

Ronnies cabs are filthy alright. Prices are gone a bit ridiculous now though, seem to go up 50-100 every time I get an email.

What's the pin down the back?
    It's on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

What's the pin down the back?
    It's on!

Thought you were the pin expert. Looks like the Xfiles image on the side or They Live, eddie shrugs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Doge wrote: »
    I saw that in the review left on the CeX site, yeh lucky feckers!

What purpose did you pick them up for back then btw, was it for use on the PS3?

Or were you a cute hoor and saw the future? :pac:

Dang only saw this now...picked them up for ps3 move games for the kids and myself...glad I did now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

eddhorse wrote: »
    Another load just arrived :
    0-weu-10.jpg

381173.jpeg

Is that Curry's or Harvey Normans ?

:)

Took a gamble on a broken Retron5, turns out it is broken :)

So should make an nice Raspberry PI console case, has all correct cutouts for ports HDMI, USB, SDCard (just in the wrong order :) ) and a bunch on controller ports that could be also hooked up. I'd guess the original bluetooth controller should work too ?
    Obviously won't read carts but I'll leave the pcb with the connectors in it as it add a nice bit of weight to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

This arrived today.

1006FFCF-328B-46DC-8301-070FF7119E0A_zps0yrjhpie.jpg

Was pretty cheap so figured it's worth a go.

Cidonalad made his first retro purchase of a sort today,
    The first three Phoenix Wright games on the DS as well as the following Apollo Justice and Miles Edgeworth games too, for €60, not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Couple of recent GET's

Twilight Princess HD. Couldn't not get this, despite having it on Gamecube & Wii. It's a Zelda thing, what can I say.

20160324_142618.jpg

Metroid (NTSC-U...because screw 50Hz)
    Metroid 2 (PAL, no real reason to buy otherwise in the case of the Gameboy)
    Super Metroid (NTSC-J...because screw stupid high pricing, screw 50Hz, and hello full English language option and better artwork)

20160324_142655.jpg

The Donkey Kong Country trilogy - cost next to nothing with free postage. Sure, there's a small amount of Japanese text in the game, but for the savings, I honestly don't mind. NTSC-J all the way now where possible. 60Hz ftw too.

20160324_142713.jpg

Super Mario All Stars
    F-Zero
    Rockman X3

Again, all for pittance. Again, Rockman X3 will have a slight language barrier, but it won't effect the game. At worst I can get a text dump of the game & read any of the important bits that way, at best, it's a game I've got from my wanted/needed list & saved almost €200 by buying it this way.

20160324_142741.jpg

Super Castlevania IV (or Akumajo Dracula to be precise), is another SFC get. Again, there'll be some text in the game I won't understand, but it won't affect any gameplay. Plus, I'll grab a text dump if absolutely needed.

20160324_142824.jpg

20160324_142847.jpg

Picked these up for essentially nothing (I moved on a few broken laptops & assorted bits and bobs). The Pikmins were on the wanted list, and Rebel Strike is one I've been angling after for years, but never got around to picking it up. I gather it's not as good as Rogue Squadron, but seems worth having anyway.

20160324_142931.jpg

The Metroid Prime Trilogy. I'm on a bit of a Gamecube buzz at the moment, so grabbed these, & then grabbed the Wii one for pittens in CeX. Nice to bulk up the Gamecube collection, it's a console I've an affinity for & has some cracking games.

20160324_142949.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement