Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    So the latest Samsung phones have been announced. For CRAZY money.

I can't figure out how, you can get a much better product, from the likes of Xiaomi, for half the price, yet Samsung continue to raise their prices. Even their "budget" offering is huge money.

I was looking at the S9 the other day, and was surprised to see it only had 4gb of RAM - jesus, my Mi A1 that cost me about €200 has that.

I even seen some articles claim that the 4,000mAh battery in the S10+ is the largest ever battery in a phone. Eh, excuse me? No it's fúcking not.

I suppose when people are tripping over one another to get these Samsung phones, they can continue to charge whatever they want. I had several Samsung devices in the past, but hell, there's no way i'd part with THAT kinda money for a fancy screen, with internals that are dated, and have been used to better effect in much cheaper phones

i had the s6 and the s8 but honestly found the batterys to be so poor just after 6 months they didnt perform at all.

always resisted the iphone but got a free XR through work and impressed so far since the last iphone i had was the iphone 4

Granted i more than likely would not pay the price myself for it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

sky88 wrote: »
    i had the s6 and the s8 but honestly found the batterys to be so poor just after 6 months they didnt perform at all.

always resisted the iphone but got a free XR through work and impressed so far since the last iphone i had was the iphone 4

Granted i more than likely would not pay the price myself for it

I couldn't believe it when comparing the specs of the Mi A1 to the S9 - virtually the same, except the A1 has a larger battery, dual camera array, better processor, etc. Battery is absolute animal on the A1, it lasts me all day long, and i'd consider myself a power user. Seems the only thing the S9 has over it is the display. And the fact it's 3 times the price

I couldn't believe it when comparing the specs of the Mi A1 to the S9 - virtually the same, except the A1 has a larger battery, dual camera array, better processor, etc. Battery is absolute animal on the A1, it lasts me all day long, and i'd consider myself a power user. Seems the only thing the S9 has over it is the display. And the fact it's 3 times the price

the s9 display never blew me away like it had significant upgrade on the screen. i was a heavy user and the s8 needed constant charging and at times i just had to not use it which killed me.

The Chinese manufactures really seem to be upping the game looking forward to them hopefully becoming more easy to get as im always wary of going to any of the sites cause im paranoid i wont get the phone

the s9 display never blew me away like it had significant upgrade on the screen. i was a heavy user and the s8 needed constant charging and at times i just had to not use it which killed me.

The Chinese manufactures really seem to be upping the game looking forward to them hopefully becoming more easy to get as im always wary of going to any of the sites cause im paranoid i wont get the phone

Three are currently selling Xiaomi phones.

Their Mi Mix 2S blows the Samsung stuff out of the water. They've been killing it for years on the tech front, the big names are only catching up now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm using a Xiaomi, it's pretty solid. Gets fairly heavy use cause I play a lot of Pokémon Go.

• Advertisement

im just running down a vodafone contract at the minute waiting to be free. 100% xiaomi will be my next phone

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I have an S8 (contract) for about 8 months now. Really like it. Don't find any issues with the battery life tbh, and I'd be a heavy phone user.

That said, no f'n way am I paying those prices for a new Samsung when my upgrade is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

im just running down a vodafone contract at the minute waiting to be free. 100% xiaomi will be my next phone

Any recommendations on what model?
    I'm looking for a new phone; don't know where to buy.
    I think three sell them but I'm sure they are cheaper elsewhere if that is the case

Necro wrote: »
    I have an S8 (contract) for about 8 months now. Really like it. Don't find any issues with the battery life tbh, and I'd be a heavy phone user.

That said, no f'n way am I paying those prices for a new Samsung when my upgrade is due.

ive always been that unlucky guy whatever can go wrong with a phone will happen me.

ive seen people pay 200-300 on bill for newer phones which is crazy money considering you probaley 60 for the bill after that.

erg89 i wouldnt be the best guy to look but if you go to the android forum on here and look through the threads youll get a good feel of whats good but i thought the poccofone looks good id wait for the newer version to come out which i think is soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I got the One Plus Three the week after release. Still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I got the One Plus Three the week after release. Still going strong.

I have the one plus 3t I'm starting to have issues but it's been a monster phone I'm a heavy phone user and it has taken it in its stride.

I need a replacement but I'd love one with a headphone jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Due an upgrade on three and leaning towards the S10 which will cost me €400 and then €45 a month for my usual bill

If i was to move too prepay the phone would cost me €860 and if i want too keep the unlimited data I would have too top up my €20 each month

I have a huge sd card full of important stuff too me and not many phones take expandable storage so that rules out a few good Chinese phones or other similar brands

U get a pair of the new galaxy buds if u pre order

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Due an upgrade on three and leaning towards the S10 which will cost me €400 and then €45 a month for my usual bill

If i was to move too prepay the phone would cost me €860 and if i want too keep the unlimited data I would have too top up my €20 each month

I have a huge sd card full of important stuff too me and not many phones take expandable storage so that rules out a few good Chinese phones or other similar brands

well u save 160 on the bill pay if its a year contract but if ts 24 month i think youd save going the 20 per month ove the 2 years

but i just hate vodafone theyve soured me on all bill pay

ERG89 wrote: »
    Any recommendations on what model?
    I'm looking for a new phone; don't know where to buy.
    I think three sell them but I'm sure they are cheaper elsewhere if that is the case

Deffo the Mi Mix 2S. Gorgeous phone. Awesome specs
    5ab4eb64d596bfefb62da1040aacb4466587c4b5.jpeg

Mate, most phones have expandable memory. I think €400 is erring on the side of optomistic. But at least you get those free air buds.

Mate, most phones have expandable memory. I think €400 is erring on the side of optomistic. But at least you get those free air buds.

Yeah going for the S10

Hoping unlike the last time i dont have too give the phone back as my S8 had a fault in it where the screen used too stop working and could not type anything on the keypad

I'm a stickler for buying battery cases which add weight and take the look off the phone. There handy esp when I'm travelling around but hoping the battery is good enough in the s10 I won't need one of these cases and can buy a good nice stylish case

Yeah going for the S10

Hoping unlike the last time i dont have too give the phone back as my S8 had a fault in it where the screen used too stop working and could not type anything on the keypad

I'm a stickler for buying battery cases which add weight and take the look off the phone. There handy esp when I'm travelling around but hoping the battery is good enough in the s10 I won't need one of these cases and can buy a good nice stylish case
    Maybe buy a powerbank?

Maybe buy a powerbank?

They can be even more of a pain in the hole to carry around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Lads, are there any card covers to prevent skimming that will still allow me to place my debit card in my wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

How common is card skimming like that? Can't say it's something I've ever worried about myself

How common is card skimming like that? Can't say it's something I've ever worried about myself
    It's becoming more prominent as of late in Limerick, I don't want to go around with tinfoil on my card like a lunatic either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just look for RFID wallets and card holders you can also get Individual card covers.

Amazon is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It's becoming more prominent as of late in Limerick, I don't want to go around with tinfoil on my card like a lunatic either.

I know that skimming in ATMs do happen and it happened to someone I know and they use credit cards for almost every purchase they have since it's so much easier to contest any false charges

There might be a thin line between sensible and a lunatic, but better to be a slightly more wealthy lunatic I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Fulham sacked Ranieri today, seems like a bad call by the Khans to me, but hey what do I know. Scott Parker left in change until the end of the season. Obviously it will have to play out before any judgement can be made.
    At a guess, I'd say there was something in the contract to allow this to happen.
    Could potentially be building for next year in the championship already, it's a tricky one.
    Khan does things his way, that's for sure.

Sometimes in life it's hard too look on the bright side when ur almost at an end to ur troubles but its will continue. Had a date which I thought was going well but to the dreaded text after. Head is in a trance and need a few drinks too get it level again. Sick of online dating and its real life consequences, thought that might be my way of getting too the next level but no

PTH, the real failure is not trying at all. When you can, get yourself together and get back on that horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Yeah don't be harsh on yourself. Online dating didn't work out for me either, and personally speaking, drinking/smoking only increased my insecurities and anxiety. Took me a while to realise that.
    The best advice anyone ever gave me was you need to learn to love yourself before you can properly get out there dating so to speak.
    Keep the faith bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It took me a few turns, but I seem to be doing alright for myself now.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

PTH2009 wrote:
    Sometimes in life it's hard too look on the bright side when ur almost at an end to ur troubles but its will continue. Had a date which I thought was going well but to the dreaded text after. Head is in a trance and need a few drinks too get it level again. Sick of online dating and its real life consequences, thought that might be my way of getting too the next level but no

Dude I met my wife whilst working in a motel in the outback in Western Australia. Worked there for six months and she was a 'local' working there too (her hometown was 200km away, but closest town).

Married now for six years with two kids and back in Ireland.

It happens in the weirdest places and times, one thing I have to say is just don't stop looking.

What's meant for you won't pass you by - I only took that job as I had no money and was completely desperate and it changed my life; 500 small things at any stage could have happened that meant we never met but we did and it's been - still is - amazing.

Annnnnnnddd..... that's enough sentimentality for me tonight. Someone give me a beer and a cigar so I can look all tough and broody again :pac:

Necro wrote: »
    Dude I met my wife whilst working in a motel in the outback in Western Australia. Worked there for six months and she was a 'local' working there too (her hometown was 200km away, but closest town).

Married now for six years with two kids and back in Ireland.

It happens in the weirdest places and times, one thing I have to say is just don't stop looking.

What's meant for you won't pass you by - I only took that job as I had no money and was completely desperate and it changed my life; 500 small things at any stage could have happened that meant we never met but we did and it's been - still is - amazing.

Annnnnnnddd..... that's enough sentimentality for me tonight. Someone give me a beer and a cigar so I can look all tough and broody again :pac:

PTH, its certainly rough out there, but I would mirror Necro's comments here. I met my wife, when she literally fell at my feet one night coming home from a nightclub. I was asleep down the back of a bus, and she was up towards the middle. Some guy was trying to grope her, and the only way she could get away from him was to throw herself back. And she literally landed on my feet.

We got to talking, and something clicked. So you see, as necro says, whats for you won't pass you by. I didn't actively go out looking to hook up with anyone that night, and ended up with a wife, 3 kids, house, 2 cars some 9 years later.

• Advertisement

Honestly dont let it get you down. Ive a few dates recently that i thought went well and then nothing happened and i was dissapointed but look whats meant to be will happen. I'm an awkward weird kinda guy but at this stage if people dont like me im just like F**k it

Advertisement