Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Happy black Friday everyone. Hope everyone has some nice plans for the weekend. I'm off to penny's to buy myself a belt, very exciting life. Out tonight to celebrate getting job. Limiting myself to 6 pints and nothing before I go out. I'm prepared for the challenge.

Went to another recovery meeting last night. Was able to get involved more and can feel my confidence growing. Very slowly, but I'm all about the baby steps :p
    I'm hoping to be able to talk in front of people anxiety free in maybe 2 months. That'll be a huge step in my fight. The other thing that needs addressing is the paranoia that everyone is looking at me, judging me.
    I know penny's will be packed when I go over so I'll see how I fare over there. Waiting in long queue's is always a trigger for panic attacks for me.

Anyway, peace out homies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thingamagig

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Welcome :)

I'd bet you're not alone on here with your CV issue.
    What did you do when you were depressed? Did you stay in your room and do nothing? I ask that because you could fill those gaps by saying you did all those other things you did.(eg. say minding a sick member of your family, working on your house, volunteering)

Thanks! It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Did spend some time idle, but actually did volunteer too and went on a computer course. God knows I just need to buck up a bit and realise I'm well able for the real world.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I really can't think of anyone. I do remember feeling ugly due for a particular reason. This has since been corrected so maybe it was this reason that I felt different. It is the only thing I can think of.

No need to think you have interrupted the thread. I feel I have taken over with my issues. For me personally depression has affected my career. I was fired from my job and haven't worked since. I was just at the start of a professonal career.
    I used make a lot of simple mistakes and did not have the concentration or motivation to improve. I can't imagine feeling like that and having to teach a class of 30 children/teenagers. I also find myself dwelling at what happened. I don't have any advice for you but I hope you find a career that makes you happy.

Thank you. It is really tough concentrating, impossible even, when you are that down. It is nice to hear from someone in a similar situation, and I wish you all the best too. The support available in this thread is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 periwinkle

Feeling sad today. The lightbox was really working for me but I think I have to ditch it. It pushed me into hypomania and insomnia. :( I haven't used it in a few days now and today I can feel the SAD creeping back in. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

periwinkle wrote: »
    Feeling sad today. The lightbox was really working for me but I think I have to ditch it. It pushed me into hypomania and insomnia. :( I haven't used it in a few days now and today I can feel the SAD creeping back in. :(

How often do you get away?(abroad) Is it an option to go abroad a few times a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 periwinkle

For financial reasons, not at all, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

The sunniest part of the island is the southeast coast. Rosslare, County Wexford is the sunniest area, and receives on average 4.38 hours of sunshine per day (1,598.41 hours per year) (wiki)

I met a Scottish chap in Spain a few years back. He lived in Brighton. He moved all the way down there to get more light and heat. He loves it and never looked back.

Move down P! We could hang out! :D

Move down P! We could hang out! :D

South Coast Gang *flicks S like gang sign with hands* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Do many people come there to surf hugo do ye know? I know it's mostly the west coast but just wondering

Do many people come there to surf hugo do ye know? I know it's mostly the west coast but just wondering

Apparently Tramore (only a short drive from Waterford itself) is fairly renowned for surfing actually. It has a load of surf schools etc.

I gave it a go myself one time but one big wave frightened the poop out of me so that was the end of that! :D:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Apparently Tramore (only a short drive from Waterford itself) is fairly renowned for surfing actually. It has a load of surf schools etc.

I gave it a go myself one time but one big wave frightened the poop out of me so that was the end of that! :D:o

lol for me it would be more frightening trying to get into a wetsuit.
    Oh the horror! :)

But yeah tramore good surfing spot alright

Anyone out there finding the Christmas vibe a bit challenging already? Don't get me wrong, I love to see festive cheer and adore the twinkling lights and all, but it is a time that family issues are highlighted. I have spent the last two Christmases with flares of inflammatory bowel disease, and while the disease isn't exactly caused by unhappiness, it does aggravate it.

Stop me if I'm depressing the life out of people here! It's just that I'm about to celebrate a birthday, and I'm a little more pensive than usual.

Christmas would be bearable if there was just a little less denial and fudging of reality in our family. It really feels like entering a minefield, and there's so much hurt that I really don't like spending too much time in their presence. But I do feel more confident than last year. There's the positive!

I wish all the best to everyone on the thread. It's a real nice online community and I am glad I found it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thingamagig, thank you! Was wondering if I was the only one that would feel like this..

I genuinely would take the hibernation option if available. It stresses me in many ways.. And because I have some as yet undiagnosed mental illness which include depression as a major feature it's just a difficult load for me.. I won't ramble on too much here as I'd bring you all down but you're not alone thingamagig!

Thingamagig, thank you! Was wondering if I was the only one that would feel like this..

I genuinely would take the hibernation option if available. It stresses me in many ways.. And because I have some as yet undiagnosed mental illness which include depression as a major feature it's just a difficult load for me.. I won't ramble on too much here as I'd bring you all down but you're not alone thingamagig!

Thank you Gremlinertia. It absolutely feels good to know you are not the only one feeling that way, I agree. Wish you well!

Anyone out there finding the Christmas vibe a bit challenging already? Don't get me wrong, I love to see festive cheer and adore the twinkling lights and all, but it is a time that family issues are highlighted. I have spent the last two Christmases with flares of inflammatory bowel disease, and while the disease isn't exactly caused by unhappiness, it does aggravate it.

Stop me if I'm depressing the life out of people here! It's just that I'm about to celebrate a birthday, and I'm a little more pensive than usual.

Christmas would be bearable if there was just a little less denial and fudging of reality in our family. It really feels like entering a minefield, and there's so much hurt that I really don't like spending too much time in their presence. But I do feel more confident than last year. There's the positive!

I wish all the best to everyone on the thread. It's a real nice online community and I am glad I found it!

Have you thought about taking a break from them this year?

Have you thought about taking a break from them this year?

Could do that for sure. Don't know how I'd feel being alone on the day itself. Still, am feeling a little more confident, so while I'm sure I will feel sad that my family is so f...ed up, at least I know I don't have to buy into their issues/crap. As I get older and wiser I do feel like I can handle them more... but it is still sad that things are the way they are.

I had the most depressing xmas of my life last year. Got in argument with family so spent it alone in an apt. ordered about 5 takeaways xmas eve cos I figured there'd be no where open xmas day and stevens day. So spent alone eating re-heated takeaway and drinking beer.
    That was a low time for me. I shall not be doing that again.
    However if its a decision rather than the result of an argument it may be just what you need?

Am also really glad I found this forum.

Could do that for sure. Don't know how I'd feel being alone on the day itself. Still, am feeling a little more confident, so while I'm sure I will feel sad that my family is so f...ed up, at least I know I don't have to buy into their issues/crap. As I get older and wiser I do feel like I can handle them more... but it is still sad that things are the way they are.

Do you live with family? Have you got another half? Have you spent every year with them?

cookie24 wrote: »
    I had the most depressing xmas of my life last year. Got in argument with family so spent it alone in an apt. ordered about 5 takeaways xmas eve cos I figured there'd be no where open xmas day and stevens day. So spent alone eating re-heated takeaway and drinking beer.
    That was a low time for me. I shall not be doing that again.
    However if its a decision rather than the result of an argument it may be just what you need?

Am also really glad I found this forum.

That sounds really :( dude. Sorry to hear that. Something happening like that would stay with you.

That sounds really :( dude. Sorry to hear that. Something happening like that would stay with you.

It really was depressing, and it was because of such a trivial argument (a lot of family arguments probably are).
    Having said that, due to how depressed I was, it was the kick up the ass I needed to seek further help.
    Before that I was reclusive and just dealing with my GP. Shortly after I asked him for a referral to psych. And subsequent CBT, hypno, and now these recovery meetings and a new job stating soon.
    Every cloud eh?

• Advertisement

It really was depressing, and it was because of such a trivial argument (a lot of family arguments probably are).
    Having said that, due to how depressed I was, it was the kick up the ass I needed to seek further help.
    Before that I was reclusive and just dealing with my GP. Shortly after I asked him for a referral to psych. And subsequent CBT, hypno, and now these recovery meetings and a new job stating soon.
    Every cloud eh?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sober-Lane-D4/543942079057256?hc_location=timeline

Look at what this crowd are doing for St Stephens day. You're up that way aren't ya?
    2nd Post 11 hours ago from now

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sober-Lane-D4/543942079057256?hc_location=timeline

Look at what this crowd are doing for St Stephens day. You're up that way aren't ya?
    2nd Comment 11 hours ago from now

Ciara Morrison?

Ciara Morrison?
    :pac:

No the second Post from Sober lane D4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

2nd Comment 11 hours ago from now

That is a really sweet idea. I am hoping that this Christmas is better than the last few years. Always felt Christmas day itself was an anti-climax.
    In other news I am feeling better after seeing my therapist today. Hopefully things will continue to improve (fingers crossed).

:pac:

No the second Post from Sober lane D4

I'll be home this year with all my loved ones :p
    Bound to be a trivial argument though.

Pretty cool idea. I wonder how many turn up and if its really sober? I think not

That is a really sweet idea. I am hoping that this Christmas is better than the last few years. Always felt Christmas day itself was an anti-climax.
    In other news I am feeling better after seeing my therapist today. Hopefully things will continue to improve (fingers crossed).

Stay positive or optimistic :).

The idea of people being on the street or even alone in this country on Christmas day saddens me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Stay positive or optimistic :).

The idea of people being on the street or even alone in this country on Christmas day saddens me.

I know I can't imagine what it would be like to be homeless. Especially when I see them on a cold rainy night.

I am trying to stay positive I have taken a step back from the situation and am trying not to obsess so much (still obsess a bit :o). I don't know if this friend will contact me anymore but I feel I am better prepared to deal with whatever happens. I want this to be a happy Christmas and if I overcome this then I will be so happy.

I am trying to stay positive I have taken a step back from the situation and am trying not to obsess so much (still obsess a bit :o). I don't know if this friend will contact me anymore but I feel I am better prepared to deal with whatever happens. I want this to be a happy Christmas and if I overcome this then I will be so happy.

You will overcome it GF and you will be happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

My anxiety has improved over the last few weeks. i'v been able to go to college without anymore panic attacks so far. I'm feeling a bit nervy tonight for some reason though.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

carzony wrote: »
    My anxiety has improved over the last few weeks. i'v been able to go to college without anymore panic attacks so far. I'm feeling a bit nervy tonight for some reason though.....

I am delighted for you friend. You are doing so well.
    Maybe you might be tired tonight. A good sleep may do you well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement