Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Wilberto wrote: »
    Don't worry! I'm sure they've seen worse! :D:):)

So true. I definitely was in tears a couple of times through the assessment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

"The Paradoxical Commandments

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
    Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
    Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
    Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
    Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
    Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
    Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
    Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
    Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
    Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
    Give the world the best you have anyway.”
    ― Kent M. Keith, The Silent Revolution: Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Well for the first time in weeks i had a smallish panic attack this morning.. i was able to continue my journey but i was very close to turning around..

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

So I'm just back from my assessment. I have to say it went really well, there was an occupational therapist and a fourth year student who were doing it with me. I was nervous at first about the student being there but she actually did most of the talking with me and the therapist then just came in when she felt necessary. I feel good after talking it through, it was very thorough indeed. They said I should hear from them next week about what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

carzony wrote: »
    Well for the first time in weeks i had a smallish panic attack this morning.. i was able to continue my journey but i was very close to turning around..

Fair play for the perseverance. As I have learned from my meetings - 'bear the discomfort in order to gain comfort'.
    Hopefully afterwords you gained some comfort in the fact you continued on rather than turning back?

• Advertisement

Aeternum wrote: »
    So I'm just back from my assessment. I have to say it went really well, there was an occupational therapist and a fourth year student who were doing it with me. I was nervous at first about the student being there but she actually did most of the talking with me and the therapist then just came in when she felt necessary. I feel good after talking it through, it was very thorough indeed. They said I should hear from them next week about what happens next.

Thats good to hear. Often those 1st steps are the hardest to make. Hope everything works out

Happy Friday everyone. Going drinking once again this weekend but will be more disciplined. I am only now realising that alcohol and my meds results in getting very drunk very quickly.
    That I know that for sure now means I can limit myself and be a lot more cautious. Something like a pint of water after every pint of beer and no spirits.
    Looking forward to this weekend as start working on Monday. My whole life will literally completely change over night. I hope I can cope. The thing I'm dreading most is getting public transport early in the morning where everyone is like sardines. I hate and dread that kind of environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Aeternum wrote: »

Am delighted it went well for you Aeternum! :)
    cookie24 wrote: »
    Happy Friday everyone.

Happy Friday Cookie and everyone else too! :)

Am delighted it went well for you Aeternum! :)

Happy Friday Cookie and everyone else too! :)

I'm hoping for a happy next 2 weeks. Start work, get stuck in, turn my life around. For some reason that was easier to type than I think the reality will be.
    Once I have no panic attacks/unable to communicate in front of everyone/unable to write in front of people it should be fine :p

Remaining positive though. This is my chance to change how my life will pan out for the next 30+ years. All I need is that one bit of courage to overcome what lays ahead.

I kinda compare it to simultaneous equations. It took me ages to understand but when it clicked it was as easy as pie. I am hoping my anxiety will 'click' and then it can be a distant memory.

Hope everyone else is good on this cold Friday evening.

I'm hoping for a happy next 2 weeks. Start work, get stuck in, turn my life around. For some reason that was easier to type than I think the reality will be.
    Once I have no panic attacks/unable to communicate in front of everyone/unable to write in front of people it should be fine :p

Remaining positive though. This is my chance to change how my life will pan out for the next 30+ years. All I need is that one bit of courage to overcome what lays ahead.

I kinda compare it to simultaneous equations. It took me ages to understand but when it clicked it was as easy as pie. I am hoping my anxiety will 'click' and then it can be a distant memory.

Hope everyone else is good on this cold Friday evening.

Don't mention the dreaded simultaneous equations! :D

Best of luck with it all Cookie. You sound like you're entering this with a really good attitude :)

• Advertisement

Fair play for the perseverance. As I have learned from my meetings - 'bear the discomfort in order to gain comfort'.
    Hopefully afterwords you gained some comfort in the fact you continued on rather than turning back?

I did gain great comfort from it. Last time I had a similar attack I got off the train and was in a state of panic. i even considered ringing for an ambulance at one stage :(

I agree with your post about public transport it really doesnt help especially that fecking dart..

I usually think of the future and i'm really trying to figure out how to resolve this problem for good. i'm actually tired of the panic attacks at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

From this moment on, I'm just going to try my best. That's what I've always done, but it's been coupled with straining myself to be better than the best (which in my current state is just being normal). Nope, I'm going to take the most tiny of baby steps and not strain myself at all. Straining leads to the bad habits I needed to get out of in the first place, and therefore nothing achieved. This minute is a new beginning for me.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    What you describe is a serious enough panic attack. I'm fortunate enough not to have them as severe as that. Are they spontaneous?

i get a feeling that my breathing is restricted. I was convinced a few weeks ago that I had a lung problem but that's not the case after visiting the doctor.

I get them quite a lot and not even in crowds. I walked my dogs with a friend a few weeks ago in a basically empty park and my difficult breathing began and i mean really, really constricting..

Thursday morning was very difficult though. i even got off the train to compose myself and even at that it was difficult to continue the journey.

For a few weeks they went away but when i get them they are very difficult.

I also seem to suffer a little panic at night in the house..

i get a feeling that my breathing is restricted. I was convinced a few weeks ago that I had a lung problem but that's not the case after visiting the doctor.

I get them quite a lot and not even in crowds. I walked my dogs with a friend a few weeks ago in a basically empty park and my difficult breathing began and i mean really, really constricting..

Thursday morning was very difficult though. i even got off the train to compose myself and even at that it was difficult to continue the journey.

For a few weeks they went away but when i get them they are very difficult.

I also seem to suffer a little panic at night in the house..

Jesus Carzony, I don't envy you. I used to get this horrible dry gagging sensation in my throat when I was about to leave the house and out 'n' about too. It was horrible and it was a huge factor in my becoming a bit reclusive.

I really hope this passes for you and soon.

Jesus Carzony, I don't envy you. I used to get this horrible dry gagging sensation in my throat when I was about to leave the house and out 'n' about too. It was horrible and it was a huge factor in my becoming a bit reclusive.

Going to college and that can be difficult but the idea for me to go on a holiday would be an impossibility. The stress of it would be enough to put me off.

If i'm honest I think this has already started to affect my day to day life.

I'm only 22 which makes things even worse. A few weeks ago things were fine but the attacks are back for some reason..

Going to college and that can be difficult but the idea for me to go on a holiday would be an impossibility. The stress of it would be enough to put me off.

I'm only 22 which makes things even worse. A few weeks ago things were fine but the attacks are back for some reason..

Have you spoken to a doctor about this yet Carzony?

Have you spoken to a doctor about this yet Carzony?

yes, he sent me for blood tests and when i get the result he called me and said ''this is likely to be anxiety related it'll soon go away''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Any idea what it is? Any feelings on it all?

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Any idea what it is? Any feelings on it all?

No clue. I love being around people and i'm very popular in College. I hate the bus and train but that's only because i'm used to the car..

I just can't understand it. but when it happens it's frightening.

I think it may be something to do with being so far away from home or being in unfamiliar territory. My journey is about 2 hours every morning and my attacks seem to get worse on the train for some reason..

Driving me mad. It's literally like I can't guarantee i'll be able to get into college because every morning is different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

quote-Vincent-Van-Gogh-love-many-things-for-therein-lies-the-92417.png

• Advertisement

yes, he sent me for blood tests and when i get the result he called me and said ''this is likely to be anxiety related it'll soon go away''
    No clue. I love being around people and i'm very popular in College. I hate the bus and train but that's only because i'm used to the car..

I just can't understand it. but when it happens it's frightening.

I think it may be something to do with being so far away from home or being in unfamiliar territory. My journey is about 2 hours every morning and my attacks seem to get worse on the train for some reason..

Driving me mad. It's literally like I can't guarantee i'll be able to get into college because every morning is different.

Maybe it might be best talking to your doctor again and try to reiterate the extent of these panic attacks and how much they're affecting you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Down and weird at the minute.. Being bombarded by unwelcome thoughts of all types, last week was too emotional type of thing so now there's suicidal issues, and crazy quick mood swings.. Working tonight, would rather hide under blankets, actually shaking, have tight chest, keep saying 'this too will pass' in my head, but other thoughts keep kicking it out.

Down and weird at the minute.. Being bombarded by unwelcome thoughts of all types, last week was too emotional type of thing so now there's suicidal issues, and crazy quick mood swings.. Working tonight, would rather hide under blankets, actually shaking, have tight chest, keep saying 'this too will pass' in my head, but other thoughts keep kicking it out.

Hang on in there G. Hope it does pass for you soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Somewhere back in the bit of my mind that can remain somewhat rational i know this.. I'll go out and work later, i'll even manage the shop on the way, i don't know how i do, but i do it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Has anyone found any mindfulness books helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Had my first migraine in six weeks yesterday.

Have the usual (for me) post migraine blues now. Got that "head in the oven" feeling that they give me.

Managed to sleep last night, which was progress of sorts, coz I usually don't the night after an attack. A bout of panic and feeling depressed usually sets in then lasting about 48 hours.

Seems to be less so this time, thankfully.

Am trying to "float on my back", as I've been told to do, knowing (from past experience) that I've been here before and it will pass.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm sort of in a crazy scenario. Wondering what people's opinions are.
    So I've become the most reclusive I've ever been, I would say almost suicidal (except I know I don't have it in me) and deeply frustrated. Life has continued to go downhill.

BUT

I've signed up for a lifegaurd course :eek: I'm literally throwing myself in at the deep end... I'm not sure if it's a good idea but I'm already committed to it. Next week I will be in a pool swimming, where I have barely left the house in months. I suppose I'm thinking that it will be a catalyst but am I at risk of causing myself a severe panic? Should I really be going a counselling route first?

Full blown sleep debt catching up with me. Usually I guess I keep it at the unbearable no energy but not completely screwed stage. Now it's getting worse by the day and my lack of memory is scaring the **** out of me :( Got this overwhelming fear, - even though I know that it'll probably be fine again after I catch up on sleep, when this stuff actually becomes reality and daily life it's so scary. I really need to grow up don't I.

• Advertisement

I'm sort of in a crazy scenario. Wondering what people's opinions are.
    So I've become the most reclusive I've ever been, I would say almost suicidal (except I know I don't have it in me) and deeply frustrated. Life has continued to go downhill.

BUT

I've signed up for a lifegaurd course :eek: I'm literally throwing myself in at the deep end... I'm not sure if it's a good idea but I'm already committed to it. Next week I will be in a pool swimming, where I have barely left the house in months. I suppose I'm thinking that it will be a catalyst but am I at risk of causing myself a severe panic? Should I really be going a counselling route first?

Jimmy, this is an honourable route and I kind of feel you should give it a go but WITHOUT putting pressure on yourself - see it as something to either enjoy, or forget about (at least for now). HOWEVER, the counselling route is also worth giving serious consideration to. You clearly have a want to do well in life and especially overcoming this current situation - that's more than more people than you'd think want to do with their lives. You are caught in a tsunami wave of both direct and indirect emotions around this situation - just because things feel bad in both these ways today, doesn't mean that when you're thinking more positively and rationally, things won't be perceived in a very different way - no matter how dim a cloud you see on them now. We are all human and therefore complex - don't be down on yourself and do something - anything - every day to work towards freedom from this. At the very least your body will thank you for certain things you do such as exercise and improved diet, whatever about anything else taking these steps forward will make your body and mind feel healthier and into the bargain make you yourself feel that you're achieving something. What any human needs to satisfy themselves. This can never be a bad thing and perhaps a huge leap forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement