Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

Hi everyone.

**If you consider this thread to be in the wrong forum, by all means you can move it.

I have started EMDR treatment for PTSD, and have found it to be absolutely amazing treatment that does work. I did some reading online, and also found that EMDR can treat depression. I am getting EMDR treatment from my psychologist every week, and it is providing me with incredible relief.

Has anyone tried EMDR for treating depression? I decided to put this treatment out there, and see if anyone else has tried it for depression, or maybe if someone is really depressed that it is a treatment they could look into too - as a means to helping people with depression.

I posted this matter here, as a means to providing another avenue for people with depression to possibly explore, and which might really help them, so I hope you don't mind me posting this in After Hours, however this thread can be moved if required, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Does not belong in After Hours, moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thingamagig

cookie24 wrote: »
    I had the most depressing xmas of my life last year. Got in argument with family so spent it alone in an apt. ordered about 5 takeaways xmas eve cos I figured there'd be no where open xmas day and stevens day. So spent alone eating re-heated takeaway and drinking beer.
    That was a low time for me. I shall not be doing that again.
    However if its a decision rather than the result of an argument it may be just what you need?

Am also really glad I found this forum.

Hope this year is better for you. That really sounds like an awful time. You are never alone when you can chat here though (ps, I know it's not the same though) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

greenfrogs wrote: »
    That is a really sweet idea. I am hoping that this Christmas is better than the last few years. Always felt Christmas day itself was an anti-climax.
    In other news I am feeling better after seeing my therapist today. Hopefully things will continue to improve (fingers crossed).

My optimism has deteriorated. Unfortunately contacted this person and of course there is no reply. Very irritated at myself. I am feeling kinda stressed at the moment. Heading out tonight which I am not in the mood for.

Edited: the person just replied. But still I know that I have to work on this part of myself. Because I know if this had been another female friend I wouldn't have replied unless they had text me first. I know this probably sounds so stupid to another person but for me it does cause problems and brings my mood quite down.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Do you live with family? Have you got another half? Have you spent every year with them?

No other half and it's probably for the best-I do not need any more complications in my life at the moment. Living at home with my Mam at a ripe old age (past 21 is as much as I'm saying there). It is unhealthy for me to be here, but I really cannot elaborate as it's a really complex and emotive topic for me.

• Advertisement

Thank you CZ453 for your support, but there are certain issues that I cannot really deal with yet , so I avoid talking about them. And I forgot to add a smiley face after the age quip! Hope you are keeping well...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 8532110

Ever have that problem where you want to help someone really badly, but you have no clue how to do it because you can relate to them just a little too well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 isthisit isthisit

Hi i'm a new poster on this thread. i'm feelng pretty isolated and messed up at the moment. I've been diagnosed with panic disorder and social anxiety in teh past, I feel like I've a mood disorder as well, I just feel so ****ed up, i'm getting help and I'm on medication but i dont feel like im gettin better. i rang the samaritans earlier on the advice of my psychologist and it didnt help, it made me feel more like a freak and mre isolated, i ended up getting into an awful state and cutting my arm and punching myself, i was banging my head off the wall as well and I tied a cable around my neck to make myself gag, I just wanted out. i feel so unsettled every day and up and down, ok at times but then minutes later i could hit the floor, my mind feels like it's damaged some way if that maked sense, its like i don't know who i am, i just feel so mentally tormented, the meds im on help supress the pain but they are not solving anything,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

maxresdefault.jpg

Hi there. Sorry to hear you're having a bad time of it.
    What meds are you on? What's going through your head at the moment?

Hi, thanks for replying. im on venlefaxine/effexor and lyrica. Ive been on medication for almost 6 years now, i just feel absolutely bet down and im kinda subdued now from the lyrica. I literally feel like ive lost my mind tho, it feels like jelly its so week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Hi, thanks for replying. im on venlefaxine/effexor and lyrica. Ive been on medication for almost 6 years now, i just feel absolutely bet down and im kinda subdued now from the lyrica. I literally feel like ive lost my mind tho, it feels like jelly its so week

Did you have any alcohol recently? Have you slept much lately?

Did you have any alcohol recently? Have you slept much lately?

id about four pints friday nite. yeah the funny thing is through all this ive slept well, i think im just so mentally exhausted by nite time.

id about four pints friday nite. yeah the funny thing is through all this ive slept well, i think im just so mentally exhausted by nite time.

Try and stay away from the booze totally if you can. Are you carrying a bit of weight? That can make you tired. How's your diet and exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Welcome!

Could you try an experiment? For one single day think of doing your homework after you come in? Give yourself a cup of tea break, a couple minutes to unwind. Then think about doing your homework as an exercise in ploughing through a problem. Think of it like bullet points and go down through the list. A fresh attitude for a single day. Not a commitment to do it like that every day. You can go back to your old ways the next day. But for one day, be a monk and do it. Then you'll be able to see if you have a better evening and following day. If it does or doesn't turn out better, no commitment to have to do it again like that.

Also remember browsing the internet and playing computer games is just as pointless. Everything we do can be said to be pointless if put in a certain context. So if your brain says that about homework keep it in mind it's probably an excuse.

Deeper problems are harder to solve, but I think you'd feel better if you tried the experiment once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Well the positivety was short lived. Spent the weekend in bed. Watching day turn to night and vice versa.

Got up today, went for a short walk.
    Its like a rollercoaster.

Im feeling a bit lost. Lethargic and very very sad.

I don't know what's wrong. I dont know if it's the time of year or what.

It's always difficult when a decent feeling comes to end. It's in its nature that it kind of has to. I fear good feeling now not that I've had it for quite a while.

Whatcanyedo? I feel like my body and mind just can't process it any more so although I don't feel good I kind of just potter on. I have had some very intensely bad feelings but thankfully that tires my system out and I just have to move on. The only way I 'deal' with it is to accept life isn't going to be what I'd hoped. If I let it be that different thing who knows maybe it will naturally come to somewhere acceptable.

handbagmad wrote: »
    Well the positivety was short lived. Spent the weekend in bed. Watching day turn to night and vice versa.

Got up today, went for a short walk.
    Its like a rollercoaster.

Im feeling a bit lost. Lethargic and very very sad.

I don't know what's wrong. I dont know if it's the time of year or what.

Hi I had sort of a bad weekend as well. I felt really down on Saturday. I knew I was get worked up about a situation. I was crying and had massive bags underneath my eyes yesterday to prove it. I had been feeling so good but it is disappointing to have a prolonged low mood. I hope it will pass soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

Howdy all. First time poster here. Have suffered with depression before and recently after a very messy end to a relationship I found myself battling it again and this time a nice dose of Anxiety thrown in on top of it. After a trip to my brilliant GP i was put on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety. I had forgotten how crap the side effects were. For the first two weeks I was a shadow of myself. After a while they started to work thankfully and I was finally able to straighten out my head a bit.

Fast forward a few months and I am still taking the tablets and am doing quite well most days. Does anyone else feel that depression has made them far far more aware of their feelings? I have noticed that I can go from total happiness and excited feeling in the pit of my stomach to not wanting to leave the house or get out of bed the next day and being on the verge of tears. It has gotten to a point where I am now aware when I am 'too happy' and I can force myself to take a step back from the situation and calm myself down so I don't get the deep lows after the high. If that makes any sense?

Apologies if that is a bit of a ramble. I have meant to post here many times and just said feck it today and took the plunge. The above was a bit of a brain dump!

Hope you're all doing good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have been feeling like crap all day and my Anxiety has started to kick in there giving me the shakes in my hands again.

Have been seeing this girl for the past 2 weeks and last night we had a great night with each other and we planed another date for tonight and well got no txt all day give her one there a while ago and magically she told me she is busy. But to make it worse she has been on Facebook all night.

Like this keeps happening to me with every girl i date few weeks going good then bam they txt me there busy and i never see them again. I just don't know why people cant just tell me there not interested at all as it keeps making me fell worse and worse every time it happens and it gets me into really bad lows.

This is the 1st girl i seen since the girl who eat me alive and i am back into the same rut again :(

I'm assuming you're pretty young and if you don't get on with family that is extremely difficult. That's why I'd keep it in mind as a goal to get independence as soon as possible. That's your reason to do work etc. keep it internal. While some things you do may end up being lazy (when you look back on it) the laziness is symptomatic imo. It sounds like you have a fundamental lack of identity, and are starting to buy into the idea that you're no good, which the laziness/not working reinforces.

It would be good if there was a way for you to rediscover your good feeling that you used to have about yourself, but how? Because if you can get to feeling good when thinking about yourself everything else just flows so naturally. I warn you that doing nothing about it leads down a very bad path, one which I've been on. I'm 27 now and as close to being handicapped without being born that way. It's no fun. Of course everyone has to learn their own lessons so I don't expect that to mean much to you, but just remember that the way you interacted with the world when you were younger, the effortlessness and satisfaction is within grasp. If you are not too far down the line, therapy can teach you to think in ways that will get you there.

I hope the best for you, I'm sure you're great, most people are.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I seem to be having a similar problem. I've been feeling really anxious lately, to the point where I'm missing school because, well, it sounds stupid, but you know if you avoid something and hope it goes away? Yeah. But obviously I know that school isn't going to go anywhere, but the thought of it makes me so nervous. I just feel like it's too much for me and that I can't deal with it. But maybe I'm just overreacting and working myself up too much. And I wonder, if everyone else in my year is able to do it, then why can't I?
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Try and stay away from the booze totally if you can. Are you carrying a bit of weight? That can make you tired. How's your diet and exercise?

my weight is fine, im actually in decent shape, i exercise in the gym every second day and do some running apart from that. sorry for the delay in replying

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

How are we all?

I can't seem to get over this sleeping during the day(siesta style) malarky. The Sertraline is a freaking nightmare that way.

I'm doing good today. That'll probably be a diffferent story come sunday.

I always have sleeps during the day as well. Dont know if its the meds or boredom? I need to sort that out as I start work on monday :eek:

cookie24 wrote: »
    I'm doing good today. That'll probably be a diffferent story come sunday.

I always have sleeps during the day as well. Dont know if its the meds or boredom? I need to sort that out as I start work on monday :eek:

They'll be grand with you having a nap on the job. :pac:

How are we all?

I can't seem to get over this sleeping during the day(siesta style) malarky. The Sertraline is a freaking nightmare that way.

I have noticed that sometimes I feel tired during the day. I thought it was just boredom or a bad habit. I'm on sertraline as well. I find it really difficult to maintain a good sleep routine. As in I'm awake in the small hours where I can get down easily and then up late in the morning.
    I've also noticed an increase in the number of headaches in the last few months. I must talk about that with my GP next time I see her. I don't taking painkillers on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Hi all, I have an assessment appt at the mental health unit in the hospital tomorrow. My GP referred me as I have been suffering pretty bad depression and anxiety for a while. Just wondering if anyone knows what to expect, feeling pretty nervous. I know it's an important step on the road to recovery but still feeling pretty confused about what's going to happen.

Aeternum wrote: »
    Hi all, I have an assessment appt at the mental health unit in the hospital tomorrow. My GP referred me as I have been suffering pretty bad depression and anxiety for a while. Just wondering if anyone knows what to expect, feeling pretty nervous. I know it's an important step on the road to recovery but still feeling pretty confused about what's going to happen.

Hi I had one of those quite recently. It involved one psychiatrist taking a detailed history of my life. She wrote everything down. She even asked if there were any complications when I was born. It is a very thorough interview. I think it took an hour. Then I was left alone for maybe 20 minutes. I then went to see the consultant psychiatrist with the psychiatrist I was first speaking to. I found myself quite nervous at this point. The consultant seemed to focus on the areas that she was concerned about (or just wanted more information on). The psychiatrist was writing during this time also (I assume recording the conversation). Then they told me their recommendations. The recommendations were also sent to my GP and I was given another out-patient appointment for a couple of months time. I was very nervous before the appointment as well. It's completely natural. Best of luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

You'll be fine. Just be brutally honest with them as this will all help them best treat you. Best of luck with it Aeternum! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Hi I had one of those quite recently. It involved one psychiatrist taking a detailed history of my life. She wrote everything down. She even asked if there were any complications when I was born. It is a very thorough interview. I think it took an hour. Then I was left alone for maybe 20 minutes. I then went to see the consultant psychiatrist with the psychiatrist I was first speaking to. I found myself quite nervous at this point. The consultant seemed to focus on the areas that she was concerned about (or just wanted more information on). The psychiatrist was writing during this time also (I assume recording the conversation). Then they told me their recommendations. The recommendations were also sent to my GP and I was given another out-patient appointment for a couple of months time. I was very nervous before the appointment as well. It's completely natural. Best of luck with it :)

Wow, thanks for that post. I really appreciate the information. The girl who rang did say it would take about an hour, I was wondering what kind of chat could take that long but if they go so deep into your life it's no surprise it takes so long! Hopefully I won't be too nervous come tomorrow, I get really teary when I'm nervous and will probably just cry at them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Wow, thanks for that post. I really appreciate the information. The girl who rang did say it would take about an hour, I was wondering what kind of chat could take that long but if they go so deep into your life it's no surprise it takes so long! Hopefully I won't be too nervous come tomorrow, I get really teary when I'm nervous and will probably just cry at them!

Don't worry! I'm sure they've seen worse! :D:):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement