Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

No need to worry about bad logic in here, we are the masters. I've been in places before where the physical pain/weird feeling was so bad I physically was COMPELLED to address it, like I had no choice. Now you've had a taste at what it's like I hope you can get back to it. Maybe make a formal plan to get help in that regard?

Are you on any medication? My head only cleared when I was off medication. Didn't even know how negatively it effected me physically.

Nah I've always been determined to not touch medication, especially since I've had a taste of how to cure this myself naturally (I'm aware that my situation won't reflect most people's).

Thanks for conveying your experience, kind of good in a way to remind myself just how bad things are and I'm not imagining it to any degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

One thing that might help you dietary wise is making your own smoothies. I've been doing it for a month or so (all ye need is a cheap blender). I was brought up on chips and chicken nuggets and could never eat fruit or veg, mainly due to the texture and psychology.

I got this blender and I put two bananas, strawberries (other soft fruit) some honey, bit of frozen yoghurt and some ice and apple juice. It fills up a pint glass, I have one a day. It tastes lovely and I have much less of a pang for junk these days. I couldn't eat the equivalent, needs to be blended.

It seems the body gets good food it doesn't want the bad food as much (as long as its palatable, psychologically). Also the high amounts of sugar is good brain food.

If I didn't know about my other issues I'd put this down to purely breathing difficulties - shallow due to the anxiety. When I can breathe completely normally and intake air rather than constantly having my breathing feel like a ton of weight is on it, the changes even in a day are amazing. This is where the exercise comes in, but starting that is tough with no energy.

One thing that might help you dietary wise is making your own smoothies. I've been doing it for a month or so (all ye need is a cheap blender). I was brought up on chips and chicken nuggets and could never eat fruit or veg, mainly due to the texture and psychology.

I got this blender and I put two bananas, strawberries (other soft fruit) some honey, bit of frozen yoghurt and some ice and apple juice. It fills up a pint glass, I have one a day. It tastes lovely and I have much less of a pang for junk these days. I couldn't eat the equivalent, needs to be blended.

It seems the body gets good food it doesn't want the bad food as much (as long as its palatable, psychologically). Also the high amounts of sugar is good brain food.

Totally agree, I was the same with the chips and chicken nuggets I'm afraid. You're absolutely right about the body getting used to food and especially good food - life can be so amazing, but you have to start somewhere and work through the tough times to get there.

What about stuff you can do in your bedroom like prisoner exercise, sit ups push ups etc. just to get the juices going. I'm sure there's a wealth of stuff on the internet. It'll break through the breathing barrier you're talking about but doesn't require the mental get-up-and-go that say running outside would need.

That song 'shake it off' had a point in the sense that, once you can shake your body a bit it usually responds, give it a shock to the system.

I'm sure ye could do push ups sits and other stationary exercise to shake it off (star jumps if ye live alone). Do a google anyway

EDIT: I think for anxiety and the stifled breathing we experience sit ups would be good because a lot of the the anxiety for me is held in the stomach, almost like I'm afraid to upset it. Crunching through that, relaxing and tightening those muscles may be of benefit. The chest will open up too (and the back and spine)

• Advertisement

Agreed Jim, and how cool are you knowing the Taylor Swift song :D (I like it myself :o)

hah I thought it was florence and the machine! We have a rule in our group of friends, well I maintain it and its unwritten: anybody who admits anything that ye can tell nobody else would have the balls to admit, no matter how bad it makes them look, gets respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

There could be youtube yoga/meditation videos to help guide your breathing fr336

stinkle wrote: »
    There could be youtube yoga/meditation videos to help guide your breathing fr336

Many thanks, my concentration is shot to bits it'd help if I lived with supportive people but they're just fakes really. Thanks anyway will try at some point hopefully.

cookie24 wrote: »
    Hey guys/gals. Hope everyone's doing OK. After a pretty hectic weekend I've stayed away from here. Not too sure why, but I will be taking people's advice and drinking less. The majority of the weekend is a big fat blur, and just back to normal today.

On a more positive note I got offered a job today, so pretty over the moon. Now I need to make sure I'm ready for all that this job will entail. Everything should be fine except the public speaking part (I hope). Its so long since I worked and met new people who knows how I'll react.

It will be up and down, that's life. But it will hopefully be worth it, stick at it and enjoy the highs after the relative lows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Why oh why oh why can I not stop contacting a certain person. They never make the effort to contact me first. Their answer is I am busy when I ask them to do something. Why can't I just take the hint. Instead I keep at it. Obsessively. Then I make a big song and dance about it and send them a text saying sorry about texting you so much and asking to meet up. Why do I continue with this behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Sleeping / breathing tips.

Go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Why oh why oh why can I not stop contacting a certain person. They never make the effort to contact me first. Their answer is I am busy when I ask them to do something. Why can't I just take the hint. Instead I keep at it. Obsessively. Then I make a big song and dance about it and send them a text saying sorry about texting you so much and asking to meet up. Why do I continue with this behaviour?

I do a bit of that myself too GF. It's not a trait I am particularly fond of.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Are you talking about an ex or someone of the opposite sex?

Someone of the opposite sex. It started out as dating but now we are friends instead. It was more his decision than mine.

You have to stop. It'll actually wreck your own head more than the person receiving the texts. As a sufferer from anxiety I'd imagine that you're your own worst enemy. It's the self analyses that does the damage.

If you text someone else that kept fobbing you off you would put it down to them being rude and would simply say to hell with them.

Yah I get what you are saying. The less he replies the more I text him. It is a slippery slope. It infuriates me that I can behave this way. I doubt he is giving me a second thought. I think he is trying to distance himself from me as i have bought it up a few times this a few times. I know I have to find the strength to stop. Because otherwise the situation is going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Yah I get what you are saying. The less he replies the more I text him. It is a slippery slope. It infuriates me that I can behave this way. I doubt he is giving me a second thought. I think he is trying to distance himself from me as i have bought it up a few times this a few times. I know I have to find the strength to stop. Because otherwise the situation is going to get worse.

He doesn't have what you need. It's as simple as that. Whatever you think he has got or whatever is drawing you to him, is not there.

This country is as big as you want it to be. Or as small as you want it to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Albert-Einstein-Quote-Happy-Life.jpg

Roquentin wrote: »
    Albert-Einstein-Quote-Happy-Life.jpg

Unless it's a millionaire...Then tie your life to the millionaire. :D

He doesn't have what you need. It's as simple as that. Whatever you think he has got or whatever is drawing you to him, is not there.

This country is as big as you want it to be. Or as small as you want it to be.

I think what I am looking for, nobody can give me you know. I just need to be happy on my own. This isn't the first time this has happened. Feeling a bit stressed at the moment. I was meant to be going to a training for a sports thing later (I haven't been in months as I wasn't ready to) but I think I will put it off to next week. It sounds so stupid that I am not capable of doing the simple things in life. No point jumping ahead of myself as I am not in good form. I hope tonight goes fast. I am seeing my therapist tomorrow. I wrote down how I was feeling last night so hopefully it will help her understand how much this distresses me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I think what I am looking for, nobody can give me you know. I just need to be happy on my own. This isn't the first time this has happened. Feeling a bit stressed at the moment. I was meant to be going to a training for a sports thing later (I haven't been in months as I wasn't ready to) but I think I will put it off to next week. It sounds so stupid that I am not capable of doing the simple things in life. No point jumping ahead of myself as I am not in good form. I hope tonight goes fast. I am seeing my therapist tomorrow. I wrote down how I was feeling last night so hopefully it will help her understand how much this distresses me.

procrastination is my crime. A friend wants to go on a trip and i will be like "ah ill do it next year." then when next year comes its the year after and eventually i am dead

• Advertisement

As you probably know, one of the first questions you'll be asked by any counsellor, GP or Psych will be, have you any childhood traumas? I'm not asking you that on here. Just in case someone is reading from outside.

Childhood traumas have a large part to play in anxiety and behaviour. They can hit people later in life. In your 20s and early 30s. People may suffer from trust issues. I've met people who had awful upbringings and they had relationship problems as a result.

Roquentin wrote: »
    procrastination is my crime. A friend wants to go on a trip and i will be like "ah ill do it next year." then when next year comes its the year after and eventually i am dead

We have our mountain to climb. I hope you find the strength to go on that trip.
    As you probably know, one of the first questions you'll be asked by any counsellor, GP or Psych will be, have you any childhood traumas? I'm not asking you that on here. Just in case someone is reading from outside.

Childhood traumas have a large part to play in anxiety and behaviour. They can hit people later in life. In your 20s and early 30s. People may suffer from trust issues. I've met people who had awful upbringings and they had relationship problems as a result.

The problem is I didn't have a troubled childhood. All my siblings have turned out well. Have relationships and good jobs. I suppose my issues started around 12. I can see the obsessive signs from that time. I don't know what happened.

We have our mountain to climb. I hope you find the strength to go on that trip.

The problem is I didn't have a troubled childhood. All my siblings have turned out well. Have relationships and good jobs. I suppose my issues started around 12. I can see the obsessive signs from that time. I don't know what happened.

It could be something that you perceived to be abusive(mentally)??? Something from school/home/an extra curricular activity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thingamagig

Hi, I'm conscious of interrupting the thread, but has depression affected your career? It's something that has been a problem for me. I really went into the abyss about the time I was due to complete college. Immediately after college, and whilst still in the worst of my depression, I began working as a substitute teacher. BAD IDEA. I made so many mistakes that had I been on form and yes, a little older and more mature, I would never have made. I really find it hard to forget this period of my life. Teaching is something I would love to do, and that I think I would be competent in, and I think I burned my bridges all those years ago.

Depression mostly stayed for a couple of years and I was in 'brain melt'. I just couldn't articulate myself anymore and had serious trouble concentrating. Basically, I was so under-confident (making up words now!) that I was fit for f all.

So, has anyone any ideas on what to do if from the start your cv is a mad mess? Has anyone had any similar experiences?

It could be something that you perceived to be abusive(mentally)??? Something from school/home/an extra curricular activity?

I really can't think of anyone. I do remember feeling ugly due for a particular reason. This has since been corrected so maybe it was this reason that I felt different. It is the only thing I can think of.
    Hi, I'm conscious of interrupting the thread, but has depression affected your career? It's something that has been a problem for me. I really went into the abyss about the time I was due to complete college. Immediately after college, and whilst still in the worst of my depression, I began working as a substitute teacher. BAD IDEA. I made so many mistakes that had I been on form and yes, a little older and more mature, I would never have made. I really find it hard to forget this period of my life. Teaching is something I would love to do, and that I think I would be competent in, and I think I burned my bridges all those years ago.

Depression mostly stayed for a couple of years and I was in 'brain melt'. I just couldn't articulate myself anymore and had serious trouble concentrating. Basically, I was so under-confident (making up words now!) that I was fit for f all.

So, has anyone any ideas on what to do if from the start your cv is a mad mess? Has anyone had any similar experiences?

No need to think you have interrupted the thread. I feel I have taken over with my issues. For me personally depression has affected my career. I was fired from my job and haven't worked since. I was just at the start of a professonal career.
    I used make a lot of simple mistakes and did not have the concentration or motivation to improve. I can't imagine feeling like that and having to teach a class of 30 children/teenagers. I also find myself dwelling at what happened. I don't have any advice for you but I hope you find a career that makes you happy.

Welcome :)

I'd bet you're not alone on here with your CV issue.
    What did you do when you were depressed? Did you stay in your room and do nothing? I ask that because you could fill those gaps by saying you did all those other things you did.(eg. say minding a sick member of your family, working on your house, volunteering)

I remember my psychiatrist telling me that what happened to me was I was under pressure for X reason and then another problem Y came and jolted me also, causing me to suffer a type of anxiety disorder.

Example- I was unbalanced due to X crashing into me and then Y crashed into me and knocked me to the floor.

I have spoken about this with a previous therapist. She insisted something happened within the family that I was aware of. I don't remember anything of significance.

I have spoken about this with a previous therapist. She insisted something happened within the family that I was aware of. I don't remember anything of significance.

Well froggy frog frogs. I don't know so.

How are ya tonight?

Well froggy frog frogs. I don't know so.

How are ya tonight?

I am feeling good now. It is so nice to be able to talk freely here. I think I will head to bed now though. Hope things are good with you. :)

• Advertisement

I am feeling good now. It is so nice to be able to talk freely here. I think I will head to bed now though. Hope things are good with you. :)

I'm off myself. Goodnight :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement