Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SoSheSaid

I haven't had any appointments bar a pain management thing earlier in the year.. Spinal cord stimulator mentioned alright but that's for when I'm totally incapacitated.

I'd imagine the bed rest is probably not helping but with those infections you couldn't be up and about anyway.. That's a pig of a catch 22..

Yeah I'm at work.. Finish in three hours.

I've to see an Ortho after the MRI, lumbar fusion is a possible solution but that in itself is alot to deal with.

Are you on your feet alot with work?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm up and down, so have ergonomics sorted for office.. I think a mix of movement and stillness suits.

That'd be lower back fusion yes? Have heard some good stories about it in long term illness before alright.

I'm up and down, so have ergonomics sorted for office.. I think a mix of movement and stillness suits.

That'd be lower back fusion yes? Have heard some good stories about it in long term illness before alright.

Yeah that's the one.

Was up the entire night, completely wrecked.
    Sometimes I think about living life in this much pain forever, and I can't even bear to think about it. On top of everything else, it's just too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sorry for interrupting the thread.

I am really struggling atm. I was told I had depression and GAD in 2010, I was put on Mirap, and for the last four years have been fine, until this summer.

When I finished the course I was doing I noticed that my anxiety was getting really bad. The thought of leaving the house or going on to public transport made my heart race and anxiety symptoms near crippled me.

I had a bad panic attack on a Luas one day and haven't been on one since.

I have seen a psychiatrist on Monday and they prescribed me Effexor to help with my anxiety, but looking these pills up have made me even more anxious. Its advised to take these the same time very morning, but my sleep pattern is all over the place, I never get up at the same time every day, somedays I get up at 1pm. So thats a problem.

I really want to get these issues sorted since the xmas period is here, the thoughts of going out shopping starts my heart racing as I am afraid I will have a panic attack and embarrass myself in public.

Has anyone been on Effexor? Did it help with anxiety?

Again sorry for interrupting the thread, just feel that this is the best place to put my thoughts out.
    I wouldn't worry too much about taking it at the exact same time every day. It is more important not to miss doses.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Esel wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about taking it at the exact same time every day. It is more important not to miss doses.

Yah I get up at different times through the day. I could take it a 10 or 12 or 1pm. I never worry about it.

SoSheSaid wrote: »
    Was up the entire night, completely wrecked.
    Sometimes I think about living life in this much pain forever, and I can't even bear to think about it. On top of everything else, it's just too much.

I used think that before I started taking my meds for depression. I just felt life was horrible and the thought of it always being that way used to upset me. Last night I couldn't sleep due to stomach cramps due to IBS. I can't imagine what it feels like to have chronic pain. You poor thing. I read you have a bad chest and kidney infection at the moment. I hope you feel better soon

greenfrogs wrote: »
    I used think that before I started taking my meds for depression. I just felt life was horrible and the thought of it always being that way used to upset me. Last night I couldn't sleep due to stomach cramps due to IBS. I can't imagine what it feels like to have chronic pain. You poor thing. I read you have a bad chest and kidney infection at the moment. I hope you feel better soon

Thanks, it's been tough going. Do you take buscopan? It's prescribed for IBS, I have it here, it's not the best though as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 periwinkle

I was so badly depressed the last two weeks - I get atypical depression - that I rented a light box to see if it would help. I've been using it a week now and I'm definitely not as tired and numb. I'm waking up earlier and I can leave the house. The only thing is, it's making me so irritable. :( I think if I stop using it I'll be totally non-functioning again in a matter of days, but I hate this mood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

periwinkle wrote: »
    I was so badly depressed the last two weeks - I get atypical depression - that I rented a light box to see if it would help. I've been using it a week now and I'm definitely not as tired and numb. I'm waking up earlier and I can leave the house. The only thing is, it's making me so irritable. :( I think if I stop using it I'll be totally non-functioning again in a matter of days, but I hate this mood!

Sorry to hear that P. Hope it passes for you soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 periwinkle

Sorry for interrupting the thread.
    I have seen a psychiatrist on Monday and they prescribed me Effexor to help with my anxiety, but looking these pills up have made me even more anxious. Its advised to take these the same time very morning, but my sleep pattern is all over the place, I never get up at the same time every day, somedays I get up at 1pm. So thats a problem.

I really want to get these issues sorted since the xmas period is here, the thoughts of going out shopping starts my heart racing as I am afraid I will have a panic attack and embarrass myself in public.

Has anyone been on Effexor? Did it help with anxiety?

I have been on it for long periods and it definitely helped me with anxiety as well as depression. And while it is best to take it at the same time every day for therapeutic reasons, don't worry too much if you can't manage that at the moment. I am on Effexor right now and I never manage to take it at the same time everyday for the same reasons as yourself, but it's still okay. :)

The one thing you do not want to do though is run out of them so you have no tablet to take when it's due and your chemist is closed.

periwinkle wrote: »
    I have been on it for long periods and it definitely helped me with anxiety as well as depression. And while it is best to take it at the same time every day for therapeutic reasons, don't worry too much if you can't manage that at the moment. I am on Effexor right now and I never manage to take it at the same time everyday for the same reasons as yourself, but it's still okay. :)

The one thing you do not want to do though is run out of them so you have no tablet to take when it's due and your chemist is closed.

+1 for the bold bit above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Its looking increasingly likely that husband will agree to join me in therapy this week. I think it will be a huge step in helping me deal with these obsessive doubts and reconnecting as a couple. Fingers crossed :)

Its looking increasingly likely that husband will agree to join me in therapy this week. I think it will be a huge step in helping me deal with these obsessive doubts and reconnecting as a couple. Fingers crossed :)

That's great LID! You're making great progress there :)

Thanks Hugo and thanks everyone on this thread. It's been a real life saver for me these last few weeks. I only hope I can give back to all of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I'm going to sound like a bit of a sh1thead here but don't really care.
    Just thinking today of everything I've been through in the last ten years.

I AM FCUKING STRONG. AND A FIGHTER.!!!!
    Every curve ball life has thrown my way, and there has been some nasty ones...I've managed to survive.

Tomorrow I'm gonna start again. Cause that's what we have to do, keep trying, keep starting.

Too everyone on this thread, you are ALL strong people too. X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

handbagmad wrote: »
    I'm going to sound like a bit of a sh1thead here but don't really care.
    Just thinking today of everything I've been through in the last ten years.

I AM FCUKING STRONG. AND A FIGHTER.!!!!
    Every curve ball life has thrown my way, and there has been some nasty ones...I've managed to survive.

Tomorrow I'm gonna start again. Cause that's what we have to do, keep trying, keep starting.

Too everyone on this thread, you are ALL strong people too. X

:) I thought you were going to go off on one. Power to ya

You go H! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Good for you Handbag :) ....just goes to show how resilient we really are !
    Its no harm to stand back and assess once in a while ...well done getting to where u are ....and here's to the future !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

CZ 453 wrote: »
    :) I thought you were going to go off on one. Power to ya

haha no, ill put away the aul soap box CZ ;)

think folks have had enough.
    Only one thing l'll say when you come out of the dark place you feel mighty empowered

• Advertisement

Am loving your attitude Handbagmad.

Unfortunately it looks like I got a bit ahead of myself with this one. He's decided not to come now :(

Its a toughie. I really feel like he needs to be there (as does the therapist) but I can't force him.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Hey guys/gals. Hope everyone's doing OK. After a pretty hectic weekend I've stayed away from here. Not too sure why, but I will be taking people's advice and drinking less. The majority of the weekend is a big fat blur, and just back to normal today.

On a more positive note I got offered a job today, so pretty over the moon. Now I need to make sure I'm ready for all that this job will entail. Everything should be fine except the public speaking part (I hope). Its so long since I worked and met new people who knows how I'll react.

cookie24 wrote: »
    Hey guys/gals. Hope everyone's doing OK. After a pretty hectic weekend I've stayed away from here. Not too sure why, but I will be taking people's advice and drinking less. The majority of the weekend is a big fat blur, and just back to normal today.

On a more positive note I got offered a job today, so pretty over the moon. Now I need to make sure I'm ready for all that this job will entail. Everything should be fine except the public speaking part (I hope). Its so long since I worked and met new people who knows how I'll react.

Congratulations on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Hi all, hope things aren't too bad and getting better for everyone. Haven't posted recently, not that I was a poster you'd miss anyway lol, because I think talking about things can help endlessly to a point, but once you reach a certain point it can actually do the opposite. Maybe just me; I needed time away from that. Anyway just posting to ask what are others experiences of coordination when your anxiety is really bad? Mine seems awful..even typing this the fingers are going too fast and all over the place. It's funny with me (in a way)..I'm such a stubborn bugger than most of the time internally I don't feel all that overwhelmed, I feel like I want to fight this crap..but externally I fall to pieces. Yet it is all a mental thing, if any of this makes sense.

fr336 wrote: »
    Hi all, hope things aren't too bad and getting better for everyone. Haven't posted recently, not that I was a poster you'd miss anyway lol, because I think talking about things can help endlessly to a point, but once you reach a certain point it can actually do the opposite. Maybe just me; I needed time away from that. Anyway just posting to ask what are others experiences of coordination when your anxiety is really bad? Mine seems awful..even typing this the fingers are going too fast and all over the place. It's funny with me (in a way)..I'm such a stubborn bugger than most of the time internally I don't feel all that overwhelmed, I feel like I want to fight this crap..but externally I fall to pieces. Yet it is all a mental thing, if any of this makes sense.

I think its quite common. My therapist actually said that so much of your attention is going to thinking/worrying that your physical movements/posture etc seem to go a bit haywire because your brains too taken up with thinking.

I think its quite common. My therapist actually said that so much of your attention is going to thinking/worrying that your physical movements/posture etc seem to go a bit haywire because your brains too taken up with thinking.

Ah that makes sense, thanks. Yet another thing with this is you can't see the woods from the trees in the main - it takes someone else to point out something quite obvious to you.

How are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Also don't forget anxiety primarily effects the nervous system on a physical level, high levels of cortisol fight or flight, it's not meant to be sustained so the body is taking a bit of a pounding from stress.

My balance, proprioception, hands legs spine, everything goes out the window when I'm in the midst of something which I am.

Also don't forget anxiety primarily effects the nervous system on a physical level, high levels of cortisol fight or flight, it's not meant to be sustained so the body is taking a bit of a pounding from stress.

My balance, proprioception, hands legs spine, everything goes out the window when I'm in the midst of something which I am.

That's very reassuring Jimmy, thanks. I've had this for so long but it took a while before I realised anxiety was my main issue. I've actually only researched a relatively small amount on it due to being all over the place. I still think the key to me is worryingly / embarrassingly simple - catching up on years of chronic sleep deprivation. I cut out junk food and did basic exercise for a few days and started to feel better than in years (though head was still foggy) - the anxiety was almost completely disappearing in the space of days. A week or two weeks and I could be laughing. To my shame I got back into the junk routine and even know I know how good things can be (probably), there's still a fear of having to go through this even more without the comfort of bad food etc. I know this logic is ridiculous, but there you go.

Sending good wishes your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

No need to worry about bad logic in here, we are the masters. I've been in places before where the physical pain/weird feeling was so bad I physically was COMPELLED to address it, like I had no choice. Now you've had a taste at what it's like I hope you can get back to it. Maybe make a formal plan to get help in that regard?

Are you on any medication? My head only cleared when I was off medication. Didn't even know how negatively it effected me physically.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement