Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

handbagmad wrote: »
    ya get on ok? Ive had a few drinks

It was grand thanks. I only had two ciders. Didn't feel like having any more or staying after that.

You keeping ok there H?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

fiftythree wrote: »
    just my personal experience jimmy but have been in similar situations and you would be surprised how quickly things can change around.
    and things will change.
    i have gone reclusive for vast periods of time, no contact with family or friends let alone trying to think of girls.i am still like that really.
    just take it slowly and build yourself up.
    it will be like an avalanche, 1 roll a time, there will be no stopping you soon.
    good luck jimmy.

Aye I can switch it on (or switch this off) the odd time for a few hours but never sustained because its to do with core beliefs. Tough nuts to crack those.

I was feeling particularly lonely sitting here and I feel a little less lonely now. a bit cheesey but there ye have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

It was grand thanks. I only had two ciders. Didn't feel like having any more or staying after that.

You keeping ok there H?

im good, having a couple glasses of wine. Why im telling boards i don't know lol

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

Aye I can switch it on (or switch this off) the odd time for a few hours but never sustained because its to do with core beliefs. Tough nuts to crack those.

I was feeling particularly lonely sitting here and I feel a little less lonely now. a bit cheesey but there ye have it

glad you feel a bit better now.
    not entirely sure what you mean by the nuts and core beliefs??
    ups and downs, they can last minutes or years.
    i'd love to turn all the downs upside down and make them ups.
    imagine what we all could do then.

it'd defo be good for me because i'd be on some high if it flipped!

I meant that core beliefs, beliefs you have that are almost a part of you, are difficult to change e.g: I'm no good.

• Advertisement

it'd defo be good for me because i'd be on some high if it flipped!

I meant that core beliefs, beliefs you have that are almost a part of you, are difficult to change e.g: I'm no good.

understand. yes that is indeed a tough old nut.
    and i don't believe there is no good in you jimmy. not for a minute.
    don't think that the rest of us are perfect. we are not.

ah yea i know logically that i cant be any different to most people but it feels like a feeling, hard to get at the actual feeling with logic.

ah yea i know logically that i cant be any different to most people but it feels like a feeling, hard to get at the actual feeling with logic.

thats the nature of feelings jimmy.
    infuriating buggers at times.
    maybe we need to become spocks?

CZ 453 wrote: »
    We can be critical of ourselves every day. We can be critical of the same thing everyday. It is up to ourselves to change what it is we are critical of. Take action.

Eg. I can be sarcastic when dealing with people when I'm out. Then I go home and think F sake why am I so sarcastic. I can do it again the next day and come home and think I'm a stupid clown for doing it again. At the end of the day it is up to me to stop being sarcastic. No point in just keep calling myself a clown over being sarcastic.

I hope this makes sense.

agreed. its totally, or mostly, up to ourselves to change behaviour.
    or to at least get help to change it.
    but it can take a long time though for us to notice the bad patterns and to
    accept there is a problem.
    i dont think sarcasm is funny at all.
    only joking i do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

agreed. its totally, or mostly, up to ourselves to change behaviour.
    or to at least get help to change it.
    but it can take a long time though for us to notice the bad patterns and to
    accept there is a problem.
    i dont think sarcasm is funny at all.
    only joking i do really.

:D I was just using that as an example.....I'm really not that sarcastic....Really.I'm not.Seriously.....ok ok I am

• Advertisement

:D I was just using that as an example.....I'm really not that sarcastic....Really.I'm not.Seriously.....ok ok I am

no you're not. only messing.
    or am i??

i love this track, i think the "you" can be anything

maybe not if you read into the rest of the song but for me
    i think on it as a former version of myself which has
    temporarily gone AWOL.
    hoping he comes back soon.

I get what yer sayin'. I've been more serious about getting help recently, like there have been a couple of moments where I've gone 'okay okay OKAY wait a second, maybe the way I think about myself IS harsh and things ARE NOT what I think they are' if I could hold on to that I'd be golden. But inevitably the patterns start again.

Like my friends sister said that I looked like Jonathan Rhys Myers the other day and my friend says this to me and I felt great for a minute thinking 'well jesus if i look anywhere in that range of normal I have NO problem' but the patterns kick in immediately and it's gone.

Before after a long night on e same friend says that my other friends see an anorexic when they see me (this is a good thing, it means they dont see what I see and that what I see might not be the whole truth), I felt like going and getting treatment there and then. If I'm basically an anorexic (as in that much distortion of the truth), I can be cured!

More recently the doctor said that I hadn't lost any hair in a year and a half (something I've been convinced has happened, like thought there was a lot of hair loss). But I wasn't looking at the results myself and he could have just said.

My point is, if I could hold on to that feeling after incidents like these (which at times felt like euphoric epiphanies MAYBE IM JUST PSYCHOLOGICALLY SICK) I would get help. It's just before I know it that feeling is gone and my reality is back and I fester.

Is it mainly self image Jimmy?

Re: that song and sentiment fiftythree. That used to get me very emotional thinking about communicating with my past/future self.

As a teenager one thing my therapist did was to get me to write down what I would say to 6 year old me, 10 year old me, 15 year old me (something like that all the way up to future me).

It was very emotional writing stuff to my old self with compassion, the way you'd write to someone else you love who needed it. It is mad to think that I have basically being bullying myself for most of my adult life.

Is it mainly self image Jimmy?

T'is. Obsessively so.

I get what yer sayin'. I've been more serious about getting help recently, like there have been a couple of moments where I've gone 'okay okay OKAY wait a second, maybe the way I think about myself IS harsh and things ARE NOT what I think they are' if I could hold on to that I'd be golden. But inevitably the patterns start again.

Like my friends sister said that I looked like Jonathan Rhys Myers the other day and my friend says this to me and I felt great for a minute thinking 'well jesus if i look anywhere in that range of normal I have NO problem' but the patterns kick in immediately and it's gone.

Before after a long night on e same friend says that my other friends see an anorexic when they see me (this is a good thing, it means they dont see what I see and that what I see might not be the whole truth), I felt like going and getting treatment there and then. If I'm basically an anorexic (as in that much distortion of the truth), I can be cured!

More recently the doctor said that I hadn't lost any hair in a year and a half (something I've been convinced has happened, like thought there was a lot of hair loss). But I wasn't looking at the results myself and he could have just said.

My point is, if I could hold on to that feeling after incidents like these (which at times felt like euphoric epiphanies MAYBE IM JUST PSYCHOLOGICALLY SICK) I would get help. It's just before I know it that feeling is gone and my reality is back and I fester.
    you sound like you are pretty up and down.
    just my opinion but i wouldn't reccommend the E to anyone jimmy.
    had a mad amount of that stuff 1 night after previous light usage and
    i am convinced my brain function has dropped 30% since.
    you getting any medical help at all? no harm i say in talking to a GP at least.
    look, people say all the time that people look like celebrities. i have been compared to leading men in hollywood and equally ugly comedian halfwits.
    wouldn't put any faith in those kind of comments.
    sure if you are bald you're compared to any number of bald people for example. dara o briain, bruce willis, sure aren't they identical?!
    just try to calm jimmy and to get to a space where you can see things fairly objectively. then act from there. good luck buddy.

Re: that song and sentiment fiftythree. That used to get me very emotional thinking about communicating with my past/future self.

As a teenager one thing my therapist did was to get me to write down what I would say to 6 year old me, 10 year old me, 15 year old me (something like that all the way up to future me).

It was very emotional writing stuff to my old self with compassion, the way you'd write to someone else you love who needed it. It is mad to think that I have basically being bullying myself for most of my adult life.

that's an awful thought, bullying yourself,
    but i can relate to it. well put jimmy.
    music gets me terrible emotional at times. i love the stuff but it makes me cry too.

For me-I couldn't care less if someone told me I looked like someone famous or like anyone else. I wouldn't take it as a compliment or an offence. Why? Because I'm me.....I'm Batman :pac:

Everyone is different. Jimmy is supposed to look like Jimmy. And CZ 453 is supposed to look like Batman.

Don't think about the "ONE" yet. Be happy to look like Jimmy. When or if you find the "ONE" then you will be happy in yourself and the "ONE" will love you for that and not for looking like BATMAN or anyone else.

just glad i don't look 53:D
    hope you are ok jimmy. sounds like you are feeling rough tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dr.Alucard

i suffer from that a bit too callmejimmy i look in the mirror and i hate the gaunt looking fella looking back at me, i have two blueish rings around my eyes and look like i havent slept in like forever! no matter how much sleep i get they dont go away, i sometimes reflect on how i used to look when i was younger like (10 years ago) and how i used to get on with women and compare the gaunt looking me today to the guy i was that used to get with good looking women. its somthing that bothers me from time to time, I avoid looking in mirrors as much as i can, i have one look in the morning and thats it, i avoid looking in the mirror in the bath rooms of college or where im out etc, because it can affect my mood also. only thing i can see is try not too look in the mirror too often.

hah u guys.

Oh no I don't have romantic notions at all, no unrealistic expectations or anything.

You made a good point about people saying people look like celebrities all the time, it's true. It's not that I wanted to look like anyone else, just felt if I looked LIKE someone who is on TV and to my eyes looks good, then by extension I look good. But you are right, a resemblence or whatever is common for people to say and placing value in looking good or those types of compliments means a lot of emotional instability.

I dunno lads. I became obsessive about it and for brief periods I can say to myself 'it doesn't matter how ye look' and i'll go out with help of drugs have a great time with my friends. But it always comes back to me I know as ye get older it's less and less true 'I want to be attractive' and I know it's all subjective it's a dance, attractiveness bounces from one person to the next and off the walls and into other peoples eyes and back out again etc...

I dunno what I'm sayin. Hope ye's dont mind me just typing it anyway.

Oh yea. As guys have you's ever had a time where ye thought 'maybe I'm not so attractive' or low confidence? If a guy has low confidence they're dead in the water I think. A girl can be shy and get away it

• Advertisement

Dr.Alucard wrote: »
    i suffer from that a bit too callmejimmy i look in the mirror and i hate the gaunt looking fella looking back at me, i have two blueish rings around my eyes and look like i havent slept in like forever! no matter how much sleep i get they dont go away, i sometimes reflect on how i used to look when i was younger like (10 years ago) and how i used to get on with women and compare the gaunt looking me today to the guy i was that used to get with good looking women. its somthing that bothers me from time to time, I avoid looking in mirrors as much as i can, i have one look in the morning and thats it, i avoid looking in the mirror in the bath rooms of college or where im out etc, because it can affect my mood also. only thing i can see is try not too look in the mirror too often.

Really appreciate you posting. Sorry to hear. I think you are right, I did well for a week or two without looking in the mirror. If I've any hope I've to restrict it.

i keep saying this now and again but this forum has been great for me.
    just a place to vent my thoughts and find out different perspectives.
    and i used to feel very alone with my thoughts. now i can express them.
    it really suits me, i can dip in and out when i choose, i like that,
    sometimes i'm not in the humour for it, other times i am.
    thank you so much everyone. it is genuinely appreciated.
    got me through the last month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pasty

I got the following from the net some years ago and it just makes sense to me:
    CURE YOURSELF OF DEPRESSION FOREVER
    Depression only happens in the subcortex, never in neocortex. Remember this. And you must learn how to banish your brain to get rid of the depression in one minute a day, usually in the morning as a first thing you'll do. The secret is literally brain shift you out of your depression anytime it comes down upon you. How you'll do it? Simply, leave subcortex thought "I am depressed", enter immediately into neocortex by thinking any think you want or comes spontaneous to you.

Brain switch can save your life.
    I put below a short extras from my article about this subject, to inspire you. Take from it what you like. Here's proven natural remedies for any kind of depression once forever...

Ten ways to successfully get rid of depression.
    1} Important defense mechanism has spinach, beetroot, lettuce with much lemon juice and olive oil. POWER BENEFIT: In depression your blood has tendency to be acidic. You need to try to neutralize this situation. What I said above has high nutritional value and alkalizing quality. As a result, you'll start to feel energetic, useful to yourself and others.

2} Blueberries. Fresh or frozen, not to mention it tastes absolutely delicious, two servings daily for two weeks. POWER BENEFIT: struggle against feeling of guilt and loss of interest in ordinary activities.

3} Carbohydrates, and vitamin B-complex supplement. Depression is a cruel killer that shape cyclic human hormonal reality into delicious desert. The more tryptophan enters your brain, the more serotonin will be produced to kill that killer. Get rich tryptophan like eating banana, apple and kiwi. POWER BENEFIT: combat thoughts of suicide and irritability.

4} Get Omega 3. This makes sense physiologically since omega 3 works on neurotransmitter pathways in the brain. Also, omega 3 keeps the blood vessels of the brain free from blockages. It also helps in boosting up the nerve cells to function at a higher level. Because omega 3 is found in Oceanus fish and eggs and if you want only fruits and vegetables then take omega 3 supplements.

5} Daily walking in the sun. It produces a brain chemical called dopamine which help maintain mental equilibrium But before you leave your home eat milk, yogurt or salmon, tomatoes, cucumber and /or broccoli.

6} Out, find a place where you can express your emotions aloud. For example cry if you feel inside like crying. This is an act of courage and in the same time, shows your progress. Immediately after this, it can't be less than big happy moments.

7} Selenium, vitamin B 12, for the" feel-good” brain receptors. You need eat brown rice, nuts, seeds and liver.

8} Drink a lots of mineral water with pH above from 7.4

9} Breakfast cereals .Don't forget it.

10} Breathing exercises on daily basis, the most powerful line to cure depression because a high need of brain for oxygen.
    Good health to you.

i keep saying this now and again but this forum has been great for me.
    just a place to vent my thoughts and find out different perspectives.
    and i used to feel very alone with my thoughts. now i can express them.
    it really suits me, i can dip in and out when i choose, i like that,
    sometimes i'm not in the humour for it, other times i am.
    thank you so much everyone. it is genuinely appreciated.
    got me through the last month or so.

And you can tell people you spoke to Batman on an internet forum.

I agree. Grand spot for a vent. The bravery of some on here to tell their stories is admirable.

yeah jimmy, very very hard for any girl to be unattractive in any way, especially after a pile of drink and E's!!
    double standards but that's the life we inhabit!i'd you look a bit like colin farrell.or ed byrne.or both!!or enda kenny?

And you can tell people you spoke to Batman on an internet forum.

I agree. Grand spot for a vent. The bravery of some on here to tell their stories is admirable.

i will keep your identity private bruce(master wayne).

When I'm vomiting. I take one look at the missus and she gives me that look. The look like she could discard me in the refuse :pac:

got yourself a keeper

ok so honestly what celebrity have you all most been said you look like?
    ed byrne for me.
    (and i don't like it!)

More of a cartoon character-Doug Funny.

so you have almost no discernable features?
    that could be useful..

for crime.

• Advertisement

so you have almost no discernable features?
    that could be useful..

for crime.

:pac: That made me laugh. Thanks dude.

Are you watching The Fall on tv at all?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement