Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

I hope things improve for you soon. A lot of it is just to do with being surrounded my wonderfully supportive people. I am very lucky to work with the people I do because without that support system I'd be a bit of a wreck I think.

thanks.
    yes it is a huge help having good people around. i have no people whatsoever
    around now so i suppose that eliminates that possibility for a while.
    at least on the flip side i have no negative people either.
    so not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

fiftythree wrote: »
    thanks.
    yes it is a huge help having good people around. i have no people whatsoever
    around now so i suppose that eliminates that possibility for a while.
    at least on the flip side i have no negative people either.
    so not all bad.

That's a good way to look at it. You have to always look for the positive...even though it's hard.

That's a good way to look at it. You have to always look for the positive...even though it's hard.

not too hard. it is always there somewhere.
    not sure who i can trust at the moment so i am keeping a low profile
    as in reducing contact to a minimum with everyone.
    it suits me at the moment until i figure out things for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

I thought that anti-depressants took a few weeks to have any effect whatsoever. I've only taken one dose and I feel high as a kite. Pretty weird.

Can I just say that I know from reading here that people have had a lot of bad experiences with these type of services in Ireland and they seem to leave a lot to be desired, but there are also amazing people out there. Everyone that I have approached or dealt with so far has been absolutely incredible and already has had a pretty big impact on my life. Feel pretty lucky to be honest. It's really inspiring to see people who care so much and are so good at there job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

I thought that anti-depressants took a few weeks to have any effect whatsoever. I've only taken one dose and I feel high as a kite. Pretty weird.

The first few days you feel a bit sedated or even stoned, that passes but the actual lift in mood does take a few weeks.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

What medication is that?! Although apparently drugs using mdma and/or ketamine have been used in depression trials with success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Have a little get together out on the town this evening with some old pals. To say that I am shitting myself is a big understatement! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Have a little get together out on the town this evening with some old pals. To say that I am shitting myself is a big understatement! :o

nothing some dutch courage wont fix! Enjoy yourself anyway.

cookie24 wrote: »
    nothing some dutch courage wont fix! Enjoy yourself anyway.

I'm not much of a drinker: less than 5 drinks would be considered a binge for me! lol :D:o

Thanks Cookie, I'll try to enjoy it anyway1 :)

I'm not much of a drinker: less than 5 drinks would be considered a binge for me! lol :D:o

• Advertisement

*suspects Cookie is cool and secretly falls in love* :D

*suspects Cookie is cool and secretly falls in love* :D

:o:o:o oh hugo :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Get a room :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,057 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What medication is that?! Although apparently drugs using mdma and/or ketamine have been used in depression trials with success.
    Not MDMA, surely? Afaik it totally depletes serotonin levels, so completely contra-indicated.

Someone recently posted a link (either here or the Let's All Laugh thread) to experimental use of ketamine to relieve symptoms.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Not MDMA, surely? Afaik it totally depletes serotonin levels, so completely contra-indicated.

Someone recently posted a link (either here or the Let's All Laugh thread) to experimental use of ketamine to relieve symptoms.

Tried it before and it send me nuts...its a horse tranquilizer, right?

ETA: after a quick google it does a lot more than act as an animal tranquiliser

cookie24 wrote: »
    Tried it before and it send me nuts...its a horse tranquilizer, right?

ETA: after a quick google it does a lot more than act as an animal tranquiliser

yes.
    i haven't had good experiences with MDMA either.wouldn't know about ket.
    but it is interesting. i suppose the serotonin thing is only one model and way to look at depression. isn't it possible the model could be ineffective or limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I'm worried about my friend. She's told me that she's been feeling down a lot lately and doesn't know why. I had depress a few years ago and got help through medication and therapy so would know what she's going through. I've mentioned about going to therapy but she says she doesn't see how talking to a stranger would help. I understand what she is saying and understand therapy isn't for eeveryone but she's been rejected a lot over the years, most rrecently by a mutual friend, n I feel it would be good if she talked it out. However, obviously I'm not going to push her. N I'm not going to push her in regards getting help, I'll suggest it and offer advice but I can't make her do anything. Can anyone offer me any advice?

loubian wrote: »
    I'm worried about my friend. She's told me that she's been feeling down a lot lately and doesn't know why. I had depress a few years ago and got help through medication and therapy so would know what she's going through. I've mentioned about going to therapy but she says she doesn't see how talking to a stranger would help. I understand what she is saying and understand therapy isn't for eeveryone but she's been rejected a lot over the years, most rrecently by a mutual friend, n I feel it would be good if she talked it out. However, obviously I'm not going to push her. N I'm not going to push her in regards getting help, I'll suggest it and offer advice but I can't make her do anything. Can anyone offer me any advice?

You yourself may be the best therapy your friend can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

enjoy Mr Hugo have one for me :)

A drink that is

handbagmad wrote: »
    enjoy Mr Hugo have one for me :)

A drink that is

Home already! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,057 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Advise her to go to her GP, who will evaluate her and discuss the best way to proceed. Often, we do not take good advice on board unless it comes from an expert who we pay to give it.

You could also suggest meditation, which if done properly and regularly can help a lot.

As said above though, you are helping a lot just by being there for her and encouraging her to talk about how she is feeling.

Did you mention Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) to her, or just therapy in general? Finding a good, professional therapist is very important.

Not your ornery onager

ah lads i've been keeping myself relatively stable but been bombing today and even though I know it'll pass I just really can't stand even trying to live at the moment. **** it anyway

ah lads i've been keeping myself relatively stable but been bombing today and even though I know it'll pass I just really can't stand even trying to live at the moment. **** it anyway

callmejimmy hope you are alright. anything we can help with?
    why was it a bad day?

Sorry to hear that Jimmy. Anything happen today to cause this?

Any reason for it being worse today?

You sound like a great friend Loubian. Best thing to do for the moment is just be there for her. She'll come to you if she needs more. :)

you alright there callmejimmy?

cheers guys, well I suppose just got the hump that I can't go out or let the frustration of being reclusive get the better of me. I toy with the idea sometimes of maybe it not being over and fantasise about just ye know seeing girls flirting etc. like the old days. I'm living like an invalid but only a couple of years ago I was pretty competent. I just miss how quickly my youth went away I suppose. I still go out on rare occasions but feel like quasimodo so say to myself 'just be engaging with your friends'.

I just miss the sexual side of things or even the threat of it. Im in limbo all the time between accepting life as a monk and pining to get back out there. Doesn't help that my libido has kinda shot up out of nowhere. My friends were out yesterday and obviously I didnt go and todays saturday so I'm just feeling very bad.

EDIT: that sounds bad of me considering the forum, some people haven't got anyone at all I remembered. I am lucky to still have my best friends after all these years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Home already! :o

ya get on ok? Ive had a few drinks

• Advertisement

cheers guys, well I suppose just got the hump that I can't go out or let the frustration of being reclusive get the better of me. I toy with the idea sometimes of maybe it not being over and fantasise about just ye know seeing girls flirting etc. like the old days. I'm living like an invalid but only a couple of years ago I was pretty competent. I just miss how quickly my youth went away I suppose. I still go out on rare occasions but feel like quasimodo so say to myself 'just be engaging with your friends'.

I just miss the sexual side of things or even the threat of it. Im in limbo all the time between accepting life as a monk and pining to get back out there. Doesn't help that my libido has kinda shot up out of nowhere. My friends were out yesterday and obviously I didnt go and todays saturday so I'm just feeling very bad.

just my personal experience jimmy but have been in similar situations and you would be surprised how quickly things can change around.
    and things will change.
    i have gone reclusive for vast periods of time, no contact with family or friends let alone trying to think of girls.i am still like that really.
    just take it slowly and build yourself up.
    it will be like an avalanche, 1 roll a time, there will be no stopping you soon.
    good luck jimmy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement