Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

Woke up in relaxed state this morning/afternoon which is rare for me, usually the mornings im buzzing at a mad rate and it takes me guts of the day to slow it down to a hum.

How's you? You seem like yer on the cusp of peace a lot. Close to it, but not quite there yet.

that's good. i am ok, just a lot to do next week and stuff has been building up for a while.
    just need to get my act together and start dealing with things i'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭black_magic

Hi everyone. I just stumbled across this thread and the title struck a chord. If anybody wants to talk about anxiety and panic attacks, I've been dealing with them for a long time. I was always a bit shy, and being bullied in school really knocked my confidence and self-esteem. I'm a naturally very happy and fun loving person, but after losing members of my family over the years, relationship difficulties, financial worries, alot of stress, my mental health began to suffer. I have always tried to deal with it naturally, with help from friends and family and CBT. But in the end, It got so bad that I was desperate to do anything just to make the suffering go away. Luckily for me, a friend forced me to go to the doctor and discuss medication. Since that day, my life has completely turned around, I haven't had any more panic attacks and I absolutely love living now. Medication has given me my life back, stopped all those negative thoughts popping into my head, its like a massive weight has been lifted and I am free to live again. I will be forever in debt to my friend, because she saved me. I hate the thoughts of anybody going through what I went through, and if you think medication isn't for you, maybe not but don't discount it, and make sure you have family or friends to talk to.

Hi everyone. I just stumbled across this thread and the title struck a chord. If anybody wants to talk about anxiety and panic attacks, I've been dealing with them for a long time. I was always a bit shy, and being bullied in school really knocked my confidence and self-esteem. I'm a naturally very happy and fun loving person, but after losing members of my family over the years, relationship difficulties, financial worries, alot of stress, my mental health began to suffer. I have always tried to deal with it naturally, with help from friends and family and CBT. But in the end, It got so bad that I was desperate to do anything just to make the suffering go away. Luckily for me, a friend forced me to go to the doctor and discuss medication. Since that day, my life has completely turned around, I haven't had any more panic attacks and I absolutely love living now. Medication has given me my life back, stopped all those negative thoughts popping into my head, its like a massive weight has been lifted and I am free to live again. I will be forever in debt to my friend, because she saved me. I hate the thoughts of anybody going through what I went through, and if you think medication isn't for you, maybe not but don't discount it, and make sure you have family or friends to talk to.

that is brilliant black_magic.
    can relate to a lot of your back story.
    i like to hear of people who have got through bad times and got their lives
    back again. be it through medication, therapy, simply just getting through it in any way, well done. there is always hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Started on Valdoxan on Friday. I haven't had trouble sleeping but I am sleeping very well having taken the tablet.

I'm beginning to think that mental illness is indeed hereditary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Hi. Thanks for posting. What meds are you on?

• Advertisement

Dermighty wrote: »
    Started on Valdoxan on Friday. I haven't had trouble sleeping but I am sleeping very well having taken the tablet.

It can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I often wonder that myself friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

sup everyone. anyone suffering from the Sunday blues? I know I'm feeling OK tonight. Mainly because I didn't go out this w/e and the new COD is out on Tuesday. Killing people online relaxes me. Am I destined to become a serial killer because of my choice of video game?

my brother blushes sometimes. But I know when he was younger he went to a lot more activities (drama and such), and aside from the odd blush is perfectly fine.
    I often wondered what I'd be like if I did the same. No point wondering now though.

cookie24 wrote: »
    sup everyone. anyone suffering from the Sunday blues? I know I'm feeling OK tonight. Mainly because I didn't go out this w/e and the new COD is out on Tuesday. Killing people online relaxes me. Am I destined to become a serial killer because of my choice of video game?

yes:D
    i miss games. might try get an old console off ebay i like classic old games.
    i dont like sundays much. too close to reality(monday)

• Advertisement

Nah you're grand Cookie! :)

Nah you're grand Cookie! :)

don't encourage him.
    COVER-Rainbow_Islands.jpg

this what he needs to play.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    I didn't want to say anything but Yes you are :p

Hugo and Myself are setting up an anxiety vigilante group(The Depression Assassins). Would you like to apply?

yes please :) application form or what?

yes please :) application form or what?

Hugo is handling the particulars due to Data Protection Policy. He is the screening officer. Just send him on anything about yourself that may be relevant to the position. eg.(Firearms Certificates, possession of swords etc).

do any of you play music, sing, paint, or create stuff, music, art, of any kind?
    sometimes low mood can be fuel for that kind of thing.

Hugo is handling the particulars due to Data Protection Policy. He is the screening officer. Just send him on anything about yourself that may be relevant to the position. eg.(Firearms Certificates, possession of swords etc).
    fiftythree wrote: »
    do any of you play music, sing, paint, or create stuff, music, art, of any kind?
    sometimes low mood can be fuel for that kind of thing.

I actually have a samuri sword (brought back from Crete on 6th yr holiday). That should get me into the Depression Assasins.

@53: i like to create weird things with my samuri sword. out the back garden and have a go at a tree type thing.

Serious answer: nothing like that, only video games. Its also used to get away from house mates when I dont wanna talk to them

ETA: I am also considering creating a youtube channel, just so I can get used to talking for 10mins at a time. And just talking out loud I suppose, to a (virtual) audience. It may help with speaking in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Hey everyone, thread seems really busy lately - am a bit out of the loop cos am a few hours behind. I hope everyone is doing ok.

I'm not so bad, it's weird but since moving I genuinely haven't had the dread at all, and the associated upset stomach hasnt been an issue whatsoever. I had a visitor this week and we did a lot of going out etc but my anxiety was really not affected. One or two stupid moments did annoy me though - had to deal with some annoying bureaucracy which rattled me. I'm not sure if it's something I or anyone else discussed on here, but I identify as highly sensitive and stuff really bothers me that washes over others. So basically I had to deal with a rude and factually incorrect person, and I wasnt right for the day! Then had to go back and deal with them again. And it looks like I might end up having to go to the same place again and it actually isnt sitting right with me.

Right, am glad I wrote that cos I just looked up alternative offices to visit and I found a few that open weekends in other areas so yay, (ridiculously minor) problem solved! One is near a friend's house, it's much further away but gives me something to do next weekend!

I'm also wary of homesickness creeping in now that the initial novelty is wearing off. This week will be a real test, as I have no real social things to look forward to, whereas other weeks have something. I know I should relish the quiet week and just read/cook/watch movies on my list/relax. Having said that, next week in work is busyish with some meetings, training etc. I'm nowhere near actually busy yet, but sure will no doubt be moaning when I am.

I've a few weeks before my next visitor and I am feeling the loneliness. Was upset yesterday for a short time, but I got a notebook and made a list of stuff I want to do and places to visit on weekends, things to do during the week like cinema, gym etc. Also made a list of decent things I can cook and bring leftovers for lunch. Money's a little tight right now so I'm reluctant to splash out on the stupid gym BUT I'll use it a lot, it's less than a minute from home, and healthy mind/healthy body and all that. Plus attending a class in the evening gives my work day a bit of structure too. In fairness I probably spent the same amount dining out this past week so gym+less going out will have a great effect on me!

Today involves maybe visiting the gym and see what the craic is. Skype home. Go get food supplies. Go to suburb place and get Irish snacks and tea(treat!), do some sightseeing there. Come home and watch TV show I like. Clean the place a bit.

Excuse the long post, like with my notebook, writing stuff down is a big help and I feel excited about the day ahead now.

I actually have a samuri sword (brought back from Crete on 6th yr holiday). That should get me into the Depression Assasins.

@53: i like to create weird things with my samuri sword. out the back garden and have a go at a tree type thing.

Serious answer: nothing like that, only video games. Its also used to get away from house mates when I dont wanna talk to them

my housemates do my head right in. they are utterly vile.
    can't wait til i can get a place of my own. dream of mine.
    you coping ok sharing a house?
    i used to make songs back in the day and i would like to again.
    somewhere to put the negative energy i suppose.
    as opposed to it bouncing away in my brain.

Great to hear from you Stinkle! :)

Sorry to hear about the homesickness and loneliness though.

hello stinkle, sounds like you are doing ok there. best of luck to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭black_magic

Hi. Thanks for posting. What meds are you on?

I've been on Seroxat 20mg for over a year now. My doctor prescribed this SSRI because it is particularly effective in treating anxiety and panic attacks. And boy was he right! It has completely taken them away for me. And I was suffering terribly with them - I couldn't drive at night, I couldnt shower if nobody was home, I couldnt stay at home alone for long and definitely not spend a night alone. I was completely debilitated with it. I only wish I wasn't so stubborn and went on them sooner. That's why I wanted to contribute to this thread, if anybody out there is going through anything similar, feel free to talk about it here.

Thanks guys! Ya know what - posting here has been a great help today. I'm really not that bad so far, but am very aware that the initial novelty period is ending and that's prime homesickness time, but it hasnt really hit yet. I miss the company I had during the week, and totally get that weekends must be so lonely for people. Mon-Fri is grand cos work is a distraction. I know my situation is only temporary. Keeping busy and definitely staying in touch with others helps, at home and here. It's good to know there's support.

stinkle wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Ya know what - posting here has been a great help today. I'm really not that bad so far, but am very aware that the initial novelty period is ending and that's prime homesickness time, but it hasnt really hit yet. I miss the company I had during the week, and totally get that weekends must be so lonely for people. Mon-Fri is grand cos work is a distraction. I know my situation is only temporary. Keeping busy and definitely staying in touch with others helps, at home and here. It's good to know there's support.

you're doing great stinkle!
    glad you posted. really hope you enjoy the new life you have moved into.
    this place been a great help for me too.
    try to experience loads of new stuff, the way you only can when you make a big move.
    people at home will always be there for you on the skype or whatever way.
    take care.

I've been on Seroxat 20mg for over a year now. My doctor prescribed this SSRI because it is particularly effective in treating anxiety and panic attacks. And boy was he right! It has completely taken them away for me. And I was suffering terribly with them - I couldn't drive at night, I couldnt shower if nobody was home, I couldnt stay at home alone for long and definitely not spend a night alone. I was completely debilitated with it. I only wish I wasn't so stubborn and went on them sooner. That's why I wanted to contribute to this thread, if anybody out there is going through anything similar, feel free to talk about it here.

What age are you now? What age were you when you started getting extremely anxious?

hey guys, gotta call it a night, am doing job applications :mad:

later skaters. and have a nice relaxed peaceful night

:pac: Very good. You're hired.

god they take ages don't they?
    goodnight.

fiftythree wrote: »
    you're doing great stinkle!
    glad you posted. really hope you enjoy the new life you have moved into.
    this place been a great help for me too.
    try to experience loads of new stuff, the way you only can when you make a big move.
    people at home will always be there for you on the skype or whatever way.
    take care.
    You're right, I've been doing stuff I'd never bother with back home. Nothing spectacular, just attending a meetup for example, or planning a day trip. Also bought tickets for music stuff. Gonna make myself go out soon, it's fairly tempting to stay home all day but I'll try and tick a few things off my list.

Hope your own move has gone well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

stinkle wrote: »
    Great to hear from you, stinkle!

Have you made any new friends there yet?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

I have! Work people are grand, though I was well aware before I came that most people kinda keep to themselves. So I wasnt expecting mad craic after work or anything. Most are married, some have kids and it means they keep normal hours and have a bit of perspective as they have lives outside of work. It means no stupid workaholics or mad egos (that I can spot...yet). I'd much rather that than be in with stupid cliques or people who never leave the workplace. Everyone seems to get on with things and with each other.

I went to an Irish person meetup which was great,and got put in touch with others through that. Even made a friend on the plane! Also met a friend of a friend recently and arranged to meet a distant family contact soon, and signed up for a mentor thing in work so have gotten to know a few others through that. I went to an apartment building party too, and make a point of chatting to people in the lift. If I hadnt travelled alone I doubt I would have done any of this so soon, or felt the need to. It's funny what you can do outside the comfort zone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement