Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

fr336 wrote: »
    Beginning to think the amount of people who actually care in this world, even a bit, is extremely limited. Even the seemingly nice people, when push comes to shove, may have been conning you (and even themselves) all along :( Guilt is NOT the same as caring. Doing things to make yourself feel like you're doing good is NOT neccessarily the same as actually giving a damn :(

This is what I'm most afraid of! I'm in college and still haven't gotten around to telling my lecturers that I have anxiety (which has affected me more than I expected it to in class). I'm reluctant to let them know in case they just think "so what? Boo hoo," or "why are you telling me this?" and think I'm looking for sympathy marks or something.

I was advised by someone in the college of who I could talk to to let my lecturers know for me, but still - scary! I have to figure out what type of support I expect to let them know too - not that I have any clue what I need!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

This is what I'm most afraid of! I'm in college and still haven't gotten around to telling my lecturers that I have anxiety (which has affected me more than I expected it to in class). I'm reluctant to let them know in case they just think "so what? Boo hoo," or "why are you telling me this?" and think I'm looking for sympathy marks or something.

I was advised by someone in the college of who I could talk to to let my lecturers know for me, but still - scary! I have to figure out what type of support I expect to let them know too - not that I have any clue what I need!

Is there a counselor in college you can talk to and then work from there? Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Good news....interview went well. Was nervous at the start but once I settled in it seemed to be fine. Mind you, I took 4 valium an hour before, which probably isn't the greatest idea; as now I fear I might begin reliance/habit forming behavior.

cookie24 wrote: »
    Is there a counselor in college you can talk to and then work from there? Best of luck

Thanks! There is a counsellor, but I've been on the waiting list to see them for weeks.
    Good news....interview went well. Was nervous at the start but once I settled in it seemed to be fine. Mind you, I took 4 valium an hour before, which probably isn't the greatest idea; as now I fear I might begin reliance/habit forming behavior.

At least you did it. :) Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I had to do this very thing myself before MissyMoo. I would say it'd be best to contact your tutor or course year head. This can be in person or over email. I went with email myself. I just explained what the situation was. She was very understanding about it all. She advised me to go to the office and fill out a mitigating circumstances form. The forum required a doctor's letter explaining my condition. It was all very discrete.

Way to go Cookie! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

happiness-is-a-butterfly-4.jpg

I had to do this very thing myself before MissyMoo. I would say it'd be best to contact your tutor or course year head. This can be in person or over email. I went with email myself. I just explained what the situation was. She was very understanding about it all. She advised me to go to the office and fill out a mitigating circumstances form. The forum required a doctor's letter explaining my condition. It was all very discrete.

Thanks! I'm going to send an email now. :) I'll be sure to go back to the GP to get a letter in case I need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Finally have an appointment with the GP tomorrow morning. So terrified that I'm just going to clam up and not be able to explain myself properly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Finally have an appointment with the GP tomorrow morning. So terrified that I'm just going to clam up and not be able to explain myself properly :(
    Make notes beforehand and bring them with you.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Feckin Ed Sheeran and his new song :(
    Floodgates opened
    Totes emosh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Best of luck with it AY

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I'm on a course and lecturers have been very supportive, educational types at that level tend to (quite obviously) be of medium-high intelligence and therefore quite sympathetic to people. There are exceptions of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

I'm on a course and lecturers have been very supportive, educational types at that level tend to (quite obviously) be of medium-high intelligence and therefore quite sympathetic to people. There are exceptions of course.

that is a good idea to let lecturers know in advance that there is an issue.
    i hadn't though of doing that, or maybe i was too embarrassed to.
    i have experienced a lot of negativity and stigma, lot of people
    think i just need to get over it and i am making it up so i tend not
    to be comfortable telling people.
    the guy who is in charge of the course knows though.
    really hope i can get back on track with this course,
    can't afford it to go wrong again.
    hope you are all alright

hope it goes well tomorrow alaskayoung.
    you did well arranging it. best of luck.

fiftythree wrote: »
    that is a good idea to let lecturers know in advance that there is an issue.
    i hadn't though of doing that, or maybe i was too embarrassed to.
    i have experienced a lot of negativity and stigma, lot of people
    think i just need to get over it and i am making it up so i tend not
    to be comfortable telling people.
    the guy who is in charge of the course knows though.
    really hope i can get back on track with this course,
    can't afford it to go wrong again.
    hope you are all alright

What's the course you are on? I only started mine at the start of October.

What's the course you are on? I only started mine at the start of October.

it is a masters course. are you doing a postgrad one too? i had started it before but had to quit after the first term for loads of reasons.
    trying to rejoin it this year but there's a lot to sort out still.
    i have pretty much covered everything up til jan/feb but some bits of it have changed. waiting to hear back from them about it. quite the mess still it all is.

it is a masters course. are you doing a postgrad one too? i had started it before but had to quit after the first term for loads of reasons.
    trying to rejoin it this year but there's a lot to sort out still.
    i have pretty much covered everything up til jan/feb but some bits of it have changed. waiting to hear back from them about it. quite the mess still it all is.

Wow that's awesome, congrats on getting to that level, you are in a better position than many in terms of education! :)

Wow that's awesome, congrats on getting to that level, you are in a better position than many in terms of education! :)

i scraped through a degree ages ago. took me ages.
    would love to get this finished and out of the way.
    not sure it was the best of ideas really as am now very in debt and
    am supposed to be finished paying it back already. oh dear.
    hope your course is going ok for you.

i scraped through a degree ages ago. took me ages.
    would love to get this finished and out of the way.
    not sure it was the best of ideas really as am now very in debt and
    am supposed to be finished paying it back already. oh dear.
    hope your course is going ok for you.

Debt will be worth it in the end, absolutely

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Oh my has today been a struggle. It's only my second day on medication for anxiety so it's not surprising at all that they're not really having any effect.

It's so frustrating being in a job in which you know you have the ability and the potential to excel at, but you can't because of this horrible handicap. It's such a struggle to focus on anything when you're riddled with anxiety and paranoia. The person who I have the most sympathy for though is my account manager because she has to put up with me. I'm not sure how much longer I can hold to be honest. I've even started listening to Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory" again. That's always a bad sign.

Mind you, that's not saying anything bad about the album though. It's actually a fantastic album, and is certainly one of those "must listen to" albums. I'd recommend it to anyone! :)

• Advertisement

Debt will be worth it in the end, absolutely

ordinarily yes, if it leads to a decent job.
    i am in big trouble with the bank though.
    avoiding opening letters and emails and taking calls about it.
    and thats only one of the problems.
    feel i am slowly starting to engage with issues now i hid away for a long time.
    problems pile up very fast if you don't deal with them. got into a bad cycle.

ordinarily yes, if it leads to a decent job.
    i am in big trouble with the bank though.
    avoiding opening letters and emails and taking calls about it.
    and thats only one of the problems.
    feel i am slowly starting to engage with issues now i hid away for a long time.
    problems pile up very fast if you don't deal with them. got into a bad cycle.

Things also can become better quicker and quicker once you start dealing with them and not looking back...one step at a time. Any step forward is better than standing still.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Oh my has today been a struggle. It's only my second day on medication for anxiety so it's not surprising at all that they're not really having any effect.

It's so frustrating being in a job in which you know you have the ability and the potential to excel at, but you can't because of this horrible handicap. It's such a struggle to focus on anything when you're riddled with anxiety and paranoia. The person who I have the most sympathy for though is my account manager because she has to put up with me. I'm not sure how much longer I can hold to be honest. I've even started listening to Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory" again. That's always a bad sign.

Mind you, that's not saying anything bad about the album though. It's actually a fantastic album, and is certainly one of those "must listen to" albums. I'd recommend it to anyone! :)

very frustrating to have unfulfilled potential wilberto. good you took the step to get help with the anxiety. well done.

Things also can become better quicker and quicker once you start dealing with them and not looking back...one step at a time. Any step forward is better than standing still.

yes it is. i have a long history of letting things falling apart then building it back up again. would like to obviously get on top of life in the short term, and when
    i do to finally learn from the past and recognise signs of the crumble before
    it happens.
    are you finding the course difficult, the work and/or the human interaction?

yes it is. i have a long history of letting things falling apart then building it back up again. would like to obviously get on top of life in the short term, and when
    it happens.

Yeah very difficult the first few weeks, just had a week of, but when I simply get a consistent sleep schedule going my woes will be dealt with. Met a nice girl I quite like the look of on it, so that is one motivation :D

Wilberto wrote: »

listened to a track off it there. brings me back!
    away to listen to more music now.

depending on what meds you are on it could take a while for effects
    and it will vary for each person but im sure you know that.
    hope tomorrow goes better for you. good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

it happens.

c7dc062dd1cc2b08a8a1906a9d8e1b19.jpg

Yeah very difficult the first few weeks, just had a week of, but when I simply get a consistent sleep schedule going my woes will be dealt with. Met a nice girl I quite like the look of on it, so that is one motivation :D

that will do wonders for your attendance rate:D
    yes a good sleep does wonders.

that will do wonders for your attendance rate:D
    yes a good sleep does wonders.

She's so cute and twinkly eyed..seems really nice too (and not in an annoying way). I can't explain it but on first impressions I just have a good feeling about her.

And a bad sleep causes all my issues!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

A while ago I was having issues with the place I was staying. I moved out and I'm much happier now. The only thing I'm still worrying about is my unstable work situation but I'm working on it. I'm going out a lot and meeting people. I'm not expecting dramatic change anymore, I'm giving myself a break, I know I'm trying my best and sometimes that's all we can do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement