Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Is it possible to have a semi panic attack? Forgot I used to get them before I started the anti depressants. I'm off mine completely a week now, and after leaving my boyfriends place there I got quite panicky. Very hard to take a breath. Although maybe it was just because I was trying to stop myself from crying.

I do think so yeah G. I kinda get them in work sometimes. I get them towards the end of a batch of the item we produce: my breathing jumps between rapid and being short of breath, I have to stop work complete and kinda shudder, makes me feel really weak then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I do think so yeah G. I kinda get them in work sometimes. I get them towards the end of a batch of the item we produce: my breathing jumps between rapid and being short of breath, I have to stop work complete and kinda shudder, makes me feel really weak then.

Though I'm probably best not knowing that. I may end up kick starting it for myself again.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Though I'm probably best not knowing that. I may end up kick starting it for myself again.

Sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Started back at CBT a few weeks ago. I was getting CBT a year or so ago but things were going well so we wound down the frequency of the appointments. My anxiety came roaring back about 6 months after being weaned off cipramil and I've been back on it on the lowest dose since Feb. However my family GP thinks I need to go back up to the higher dose (I live in Dublin so a different GP treats me for anxiety). Some health concerns sent me into an awful spiral last week, I was really badly depressed for a few hours and anxiety was crazy.

I think this new CBT therapist is good but I agree with the family GP that I need to go back to the 40mg even though I don't fancy being on the high dose but the truth is that 10mg isn't cutting the mustard. How I felt mentally last Thursday was horrific.

veganrun wrote: »
    Started back at CBT a few weeks ago. I was getting CBT a year or so ago but things were going well so we wound down the frequency of the appointments. My anxiety came roaring back about 6 months after being weaned off cipramil and I've been back on it on the lowest dose since Feb. However my family GP thinks I need to go back up to the higher dose (I live in Dublin so a different GP treats me for anxiety). Some health concerns sent me into an awful spiral last week, I was really badly depressed for a few hours and anxiety was crazy.

I think this new CBT therapist is good but I agree with the family GP that I need to go back to the 40mg even though I don't fancy being on the high dose but the truth is that 10mg isn't cutting the mustard. How I felt mentally last Thursday was horrific.

Sorry to hear of your recent trouble there VeganRun. Maybe the higher dose will help out. Hope things turn around for you there and fast. :)

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear of your recent trouble there VeganRun. Maybe the higher dose will help out. Hope things turn around for you there and fast. :)

Thanks Hugo.

I have a bit of a medical condition, nothing serious but a slightly recurring problem. I was at the GP today as I saw one of the symptoms return recently and he assured me it was the same thing again, even though part of me worries that they might find something else serious wrong. Stupid anxiety.

PS, can you get the generic citalopram in Dublin? My GP said to take it instead of cipramil as its exactly the same and a fraction of the cost.

Thanks Hugo.

I have a bit of a medical condition, nothing serious but a slightly recurring problem. I was at the GP today as I saw one of the symptoms return recently and he assured me it was the same thing again, even though part of me worries that they might find something else serious wrong. Stupid anxiety.

Anxiety is a harsh mistress alas.
    PS, can you get the generic citalopram in Dublin? My GP said to take it instead of cipramil as its exactly the same and a fraction of the cost.

I'd say you could. If it has come off patent then generics should be available.

I seem to have some sort of mix of social anxiety, health anxiety and general anxiety. Its annoying as when it comes to health, I start doubting everything, even what the doctor says.

I seem to have some sort of mix of social anxiety, health anxiety and general anxiety. Its annoying as when it comes to health, I start doubting everything, even what the doctor says.

Bit of social, situational and general here. Health anxiety sounds pretty horrible I must admit. You poor thing. :(

• Advertisement

I joined a health anxiety group on Facebook. Nice to see others who are like me, although I have to be careful I don't find other conditions to worry about!

Just out of curiosity, are there groups you can go to for stuff like anxiety? A bit like Alcoholics Anonymous etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I joined a health anxiety group on Facebook. Nice to see others who are like me, although I have to be careful I don't find other conditions to worry about!

Just out of curiosity, are there groups you can go to for stuff like anxiety? A bit like Alcoholics Anonymous etc?

thats the thing. people who suffer from ocd (not you) make the mistake of reading about all these worries and end up attaching themselves to them.

There's meet up groups like AWARE for depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

There's meet up groups like AWARE for depression.

That sounds interesting. Does anyone have any experience of attending these groups?
    I was feeling down earlier. Started crying and began to feel quite anxious about a certain situation. I felt like the rest of the evening was going to drag on and I would get in worse form. Then I took a diazapam. I am feeling a lot better now. But I know that it isn't a long term solution. :-/

greenfrogs wrote: »
    That sounds interesting. Does anyone have any experience of attending these groups?
    I was feeling down earlier. Started crying and began to feel quite anxious about a certain situation. I felt like the rest of the evening was going to drag on and I would get in worse form. Then I took a diazapam. I am feeling a lot better now. But I know that it isn't a long term solution. :-/

I went to a couple of them. They're alright. It really depends on who is running the group and the people that attend. It's a good opportunity to get things off your chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭weadick

I hate this time of year, dread it. The clock going back...getting home from work in the dark every day for the next few months. Used to suffer from depression and find that this time of year drags me down a lot.

I know what you mean. The weather and it getting darker earlier puts a dampener on my mood. Its the kind of weather to sit in and watch tv but that doesn't help my mood. I lose any motivation I have to do something else.

weadick wrote: »
    I hate this time of year, dread it. The clock going back...getting home from work in the dark every day for the next few months. Used to suffer from depression and find that this time of year drags me down a lot.
    I know what you mean. The weather and it getting darker earlier puts a dampener on my mood. Its the kind of weather to sit in and watch tv but that doesn't help my mood. I lose any motivation I have to do something else.

What I always do is try to remember its not that long until the shortest day (December 21st), after which the days start getting longer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

It is so good to hear a positive story. I hit rock bottom a few months ago. I know that it was for the best as my mental health was spiraling out of control. However it still hurts with what happened. I was feeling better for a while but I feel like I am still stuck a rut with very little future. I have no job, no money, a family who rarely speak to me about my illness, no boyfriend, a couple of friends and a very limited social life. I expected a lot more from my life but it didn't happen. I am only in my twenties yet I feel haggard and so pessimistic. I am still on medical certs so at least I don't have the added stress of looking for a job. I feel so incompetent and stupid. I just wish I had one thing going for me :-/
    Sometimes I wonder why did I turn out like this. Why can't I manage life like others can?
    I wish my post could be more uplifting like the post I quoted.

You know your thoughts are so similar to mine. I often feel like I'm so inferior to everyone else. How are they so together while I'm the crazy one falling apart? I can't say I have any answers for you only to realise you are not alone, we are all struggling along. Try to be kind to yourself. You are doing your best with what you have right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Sorry :o

:) don't be silly

I only had a few in previous years, I'm sure I won't get (m)any more.

Been doing a bit of reading, turns out that I could probably be classified as having been emotionally abused as a child. I know it shouldn't, but it's some sort of relief or something to have it recognised. Though I still can't help but think "ah get over it", but I know that's what anyone in my family would say.

But I've made up a few, hopefully, helpful items from my confidence book, that I'm going to print out and have in my room as reminders. There's one I think I'm going to try have at my desk in work - about traits that I want to work towards having/work on - just so I have a reminder all the time. I'm 30, and my life has been run by this - depression, anxiety, fear and destroyed self esteem. I really want to try get a hold of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

weadick wrote: »

Same here! I find the winter so much tougher. I exercise a lot though so that helps. I find Christmas very tough. My daughter doesn't live with me anymore so I get very sad about that.
    This year though I hope to be able to handle it much better, I'm going to do things, get out and about instead of avoiding social situations. I'm going to bed earlier instead of staying up so late obsessing and I make sure to be kind to myself. As I said to you green frogs, I know Im doing my best and therefore I am no longer angry with myself for being like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

How are folks tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

fr336 wrote: »
    How are folks tonight?

not great really. quite deflated. but the lowness will pass.
    there's always tomorrow.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Same here! I find the winter so much tougher. I exercise a lot though so that helps. I find Christmas very tough. My daughter doesn't live with me anymore so I get very sad about that.
    This year though I hope to be able to handle it much better, I'm going to do things, get out and about instead of avoiding social situations. I'm going to bed earlier instead of staying up so late obsessing and I make sure to be kind to myself. As I said to you green frogs, I know Im doing my best and therefore I am no longer angry with myself for being like this.

Exercise is good. I find I sometimes lack the energy go do it. I suppose I'm using the cold weather as an excuse. I always used find Christmas a lonely time. I hope this year is different.
    fr336 wrote: »
    How are folks tonight?

I'm feeling quite good. I shared my feelings about how I feel down at times with a friend and how this affects my behaviour towards them sometimes. i feel they were understanding. However I can get quite paranoid and obsessive when a friend doesn't text me back. Here's hoping that I don't feel down about this tomorrow. It has driven people away from me in the past. Which is understandable.

Can anyone recommend a good book on depression? Maybe one that covers all aspects such as scientific facts, symptoms, coping skills etc.

fiftythree wrote: »
    not great really. quite deflated. but the lowness will pass.
    there's always tomorrow.

I have been up and down the last few days. I hope you feel better tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

shezer wrote: »
    @loveisdivine
    I think your anxiety here is triggered by a decision you made or a decision you may feel bad about. Not dictating to you here now but if it happened with myself and the missus I'd just tell her everything about the reason for that decision. Everything. Even if it was embarrassing or wrong.

He is your rock. He may not suffer from anxiety like you do. Simple as that. That's why he can cope. It is a sickness or disease or whatever you want to call it. Don't feel bad about it.

Being completely truthful and honest with your husband is the best thing you can do for him. Tell him what you can. Connect with him. Show him how dark things can be for you. He'll help and he sounds like he wants to.

Question that you may want to keep the answer to yourself- Did you have any childhood traumas or issues that would lead to problems with trust now that you're older?

Thanks for the reply. I have been completely honest with him. I think the main problem is I have felt uncertain about our marriage and my feelings and unfortunately I don't handle uncertainty very well at all. I like things to be fairly concrete and its thrown me for a loop that I've questioned my own feelings.

I do have a history of anxiety. I have an appointment at the docs for this afternoon anyway so hopefully I can get some help.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Whizzzy

Coming out the other side of Sunday night's migraine.

The usual symptoms: felt dynamite on the way in (for about two-three days); feeling terrible now. Didn't sleep a wink last night. Know my sleep pattern will return, and then the cycle starts all over again. (I take Epilim - 1000mg per day - for epilepsy)

The panic attacks that accompany these scenarios have been happening for about 7 years now. Seeing a therapist occasionally for the last year and a bit.

Terrified I'll wreck my marriage. We adore one another. She's been a rock through this.

Fall off in work in the last few years hasn't helped (I'm self-employed, but we have no kids and no financial concerns) money paranoia, inbred since childhood, is a trigger for me, I think.

If I could kick the anxiety/panic attacks I'd be sorted.

Not a good day.

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Thanks for the reply. I have been completely honest with him. I think the main problem is I have felt uncertain about our marriage and my feelings and unfortunately I don't handle uncertainty very well at all. I like things to be fairly concrete and its thrown me for a loop that I've questioned my own feelings.

I do have a history of anxiety. I have an appointment at the docs for this afternoon anyway so hopefully I can get some help.

Thank you.

Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Hello everyone.
    Just getting back to normal now after a fairly hectic weekend. I have another interview on Thurs and am already getting anxious about it.
    Even speaking answers out loud to myself has my voice shaking. Hopefully it'll be alright. Won't be wearing glasses anyway, after the last time when they kept fogging up :o

Hopefully everyone else is doing OK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Whizzzy

How much of everything that's posted here relates to low self-esteem?

Hands up!

Me for one...bigtime.

D.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement